Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2023, 00:44   #1

Triumph Tiger Sport 660 Review after 10,000 km

Here's my first post and it's my review on/of the big cat & the baby Tiger; Triumph Tiger Sport 660! But is it really sporty as the name suggests?! Hmm, yeah I can agree on that!

So why I chose Tiger 660?

Well, I was riding a 250 earlier. The beautiful Yamaha Fz25. And I had always dreamt of buying a superbike but never had an interest in ltr class bikes, even today I wouldn't buy a ltr class. I was always interested in 500-600cc segment and looking for the same. I personally felt this segment is sufficient for my usage/purpose of ride and not to forget our road conditions and how bad our traffic discipline is!

Bikes I tried
Back in 2020, just before we entered into COVID phase, I wnet into Benelli to try trk 502. Not the x, just the 502. Hell of a beauty & really was/is a beast. First impression was the great impression but I kept cool because I knew I shouldn't compare 502 with my previous 250. It will obviously push you to buy the 502 because the power/handling/feel is entirely different. What I wanted to do was to compare the 502 with the same segment bikes. I personally felt the weight to power balance of trk502 was poor. 47ps pulling a 230-245kg bike didn't make sense to me. Plus I realised the CG of the bike would make me more uncomfortable on uneven surfaces, hilly roads. Hence, I strongly held myself from buying it and waited.

Triumph Tiger Sport 660 Review after 10,000 km-img_20200229_1748272.jpg

Then came the news of Honda cb500x. I was super excited! Thought of giving it a shot. I was disappointed about the pricing once it arrived. Karnataka being highest road tax levier, made it even higher. An 8.56L for a 47ps was too high for me back then! Plus the look of that bike was not really worth the price! Would've bought if it was somewhere between 6.5L & 7L. Coming to Versys 650; Nah! Heavy plus seat height was high for me. I even had been to CfMoto and tried their 650 bikes. Bikes were okayish!

Triumph Tiger Sport 660 Review after 10,000 km-img20210420wa0023.jpg

Which other option did we have back in 2021 in 500-600cc segment? I don't really think we had any. Royal Enfield was way out of my league. Never considered to buy one for myself. That left me nothing but to wait.

The real ONE

Finally a good news! Aug-Sep 2021, news started circulating saying a new model is coming out and there was this beautiful baby tiger camouflaged with wraps roaring on the roads of UK and it was specifically mentioned, "to be launched in India in early 2022". When I saw the camouflaged version itself, that just was the love at first sight for me. Crossed fingers for better pricing.

Triumph Tiger Sport 660 Review after 10,000 km-screenshot_2023071323203397_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b122.jpg

The Launch

October 5th, 2021. Beautiful baby Tiger was launched globally. Watched the launch event with excitement and fell in love with the red one. I read almost everything about it, checked all the details. Now I was waiting for India launch. Booking in India was opened by the end of October. I took another month to think, read, study, etc and finally booked a red on December 16th, 2021. Nobody new about waiting period, onroad price, not even the launch date in India. When I booked, there were already 16 bookings in Bengaluru. There were only rumours about everything. I just waited without any other option.

March 29th, 2022 the beautiful Tiger Sport 660 was launched here in India with an ex-showroom price of 8.95L and 9.08L specifically for red ones. In Karnataka, on road price was almost 11.5L. Was the price ok? Looked a bit high but the engine, that roar, the looks deserved the price.

Well, yet another wait of 3 months and boom, I took the delivery of my bike on June 3rd, 2022. Can't express those feelings of getting a new bike, doesn't matter how big or small is the bike.

Triumph Tiger Sport 660 Review after 10,000 km-img20220603wa006701.jpeg
Triumph Tiger Sport 660 Review after 10,000 km-img_20220423_11144402.jpeg

It's been a year now and completed 10k kms on the bike. I believe it's time now that I can share my opinion/review of this bike. Has my opinion changed from calling this bike as beautiful to something else? Not completely true nor I deny.

First ride, first impression, first month and first service

I never took a test ride!! Why? Because there was no test ride bike at all. There's only one showroom for entire Karnataka state. And there was no test ride bike. I bought this bike straight away after studying it theoretically. Even the 2 bikes which I owned earlier, I bought without taking a test ride. Yamha Fzs 2013 model and Yamaha Fz25 2017 model. Both of them were success for my purpose and fulfilling my desire of riding bikes. A few people suggested me to wait till I take test ride but I had no such patience nor I had any doubt on Triumph motorcycles.

First long ride before the first service was Bengaluru - Mangaluru and return covering almost 750kms. I think that was the 10th day after I bought the bike. RPM has a running -in feature in it and starts blinking at 4.5k as I remember for the first few hundreds and then shifts to 6k for the next few and then shifts to default after 900-1000kms. I went in for 1st service at 998kms on 27th day after the purchase. Costed me 5.9k for oil, oil filter change & other basic checks. Ultimately, first impression was the best impression. No doubt it was really sporty.

Triumph Tiger Sport 660 Review after 10,000 km-img_20220801_09482301.jpeg
Triumph Tiger Sport 660 Review after 10,000 km-pxl_20220618_02541962501.jpeg

The Review

Overall, I seriously love this bike but yes there are certain limitations too! Afterall nothing is perfect! But could've been better for the price set.

Loved:
1. Handling (CG position good, can maneuver easily & confidently)
2. Looks (beautiful, can't question much on it)
3. The roar (that smooth roar is symphony)
4. Braking (nissin calipers & brake pads are very good)
5. Tyres/grip (Michelin Road 5- soft compound)
6. Decent headlight (decent as I checked without aux light for a few hundred kms)
7. Seat height (though it's 835mm, short rider can easily manage as the seat goes down at least by 15-20mm when the rider sits plus the front portion of the seat is narrow allowing legs lf the rider reach the ground easily).
8. Optional Bluetooth module.
9. Optional quickshifter.
10. Optional heat grips.
11. Optional many other accessories. (Around 40).
12. Visor is movable up & down as per requirement.
13. Aerodynamics.

Didn't like:

1. Pricing is bit on higher side for a bike without single default accessory. (at least a radiator guard or handguard or a top rack)
2. Plastic quality is poor for a "premium" bike. (Rattling noise on rough/bad roads)
3. Visor quality is poor. Visor goes down at high speeds due to vibrations.
4. No optional cruise control.
5. Foot pegs are small, could've been better.
6. Display could've been better.
7. Switches on the handlebar work pathetically during rain or after a water wash. A proper anti-moisture spray is required.
8. Fuel gauge stops working for a sometime after water wash. Starts working again after a small ride. (My group mates don't have this issue on their bikes).
9. Availability of parts!!! Too much of waiting. Minimum waiting period is 30-40 days for everything. Not sure if it's only with Bangalore service centre or everyone.
10. Ground clearance is too low that the engine oil sump hits speed breakers in Bangalore itself. It's even more riskier while with a pillion. Oil sump is the bottom most part after tyres, I would say.
11. No proper provisions for aftermarket aux lights or even the horns.
12. Horn holder attached to radiator is very poor. The holder gets loosened every now & then.
13. The mudguard length is too low. You can see radiator getting dirty quickly.

Did I just balance the positives & negatives?!

But there are certain points in the list of negatives which can be compromised and lived along with. Because on the other hand, positives make more sense.

Conclusion

Do I regret buying this?
Nope, not at all. I've a habit of finding solutions for problems and succeeded in handling most of the negative points mentioned above. Overall, I'm satisfied with this beautiful baby Tiger.

I will post different accessories I fitted/installed on my bike which might help people while deciding.

Triumph Tiger Sport 660 Review after 10,000 km-img20230618wa000201.jpeg
Triumph Tiger Sport 660 Review after 10,000 km-img_20230622_194012.jpg
nbhat24 is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 15:18   #2
BHPian

Re: Triumph Tiger Sport 660 Review after 10,000 km

Were you at the unveiling at Keerthi triumph in April 2022? I remember seeing you then I had been there to check it out as well. Sadly too expensive and as you said not enough kit to justify 11L.
Nice and short review of your experience, please elaborate more on the heat and ride quality and do share some more pictures.
100Kmphormore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 15:24   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhat24 View Post
Here's my first post and it's my review on/of the big cat & the baby Tiger; Triumph Tiger Sport 660!
Firstly heartiest congratulations on your prized possession. And welcome to the Triumph gang.

Quote:
Ground clearance is too low that the engine oil sump hits speed breakers in Bangalore itself. It's even more riskier while with a pillion. Oil sump is the bottom most part after tyres, I would say.
Isn't a bash plate available for the Tiger Sport 660? If not an OEM accessory, you must go in for the aftermarket options, some of them are really worth investing.
But do protect the sump from taking the hits. It's dangerous. People have got stranded with leaking/cracked sumps.

How is the pillion comfort, especially on long hauls of 500 plus kms in a day?
Have you tried? Please let know the feedback if you have.

Quote:
I will post different accessories I fitted/installed on my bike which might help people while deciding.
What are the options of carrying soft luggage with this bike, ie saddlestays and saddlebags?
Are any luggage options available apart from the fibre reinforced hard panniers?
Old 16th July 2023, 15:41   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
Were you at the unveiling at Keerthi triumph in April 2022? I remember seeing you then I had been there to check it out as well. Sadly too expensive and as you said not enough kit to justify 11L.
Nice and short review of your experience, please elaborate more on the heat and ride quality and do share some more pictures.
Hi. Yes, I was there on the inauguration day. The pic of unloading bike was taken that day. Thanks for replying.
Heating is just fine on highways, I don't feel it much disturbing. However in city, yes, if the rider doesn't wear a jeans or riding pant, it starts irritating too much. Coming to ride quality, it's excellent, no doubt. Sharing more pics.Triumph Tiger Sport 660 Review after 10,000 km-img_20220726_141813.jpg

Triumph Tiger Sport 660 Review after 10,000 km-img_20230620_16421901.jpeg

Triumph Tiger Sport 660 Review after 10,000 km-img_20230622_194054.jpg

Triumph Tiger Sport 660 Review after 10,000 km-img_20230629_1831164980101.jpeg

Triumph Tiger Sport 660 Review after 10,000 km-20230701_16014701.jpeg

Triumph Tiger Sport 660 Review after 10,000 km-20230701_16025201.jpeg
nbhat24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 16:10   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
Firstly heartiest congratulations on your prized possession. And welcome to the Triumph gang.

Isn't a bash plate available for the Tiger Sport 660? If not an OEM accessory, you must go in for the aftermarket options, some of them are really worth investing.
But do protect the sump from taking the hits. It's dangerous. People have got stranded with leaking/cracked sumps.

How is the pillion comfort, especially on long hauls of 500 plus kms in a day?
Have you tried? Please let know the feedback if you have.

What are the options of carrying soft luggage with this bike, ie saddlestays and saddlebags?
Are any luggage options available apart from the fibre reinforced hard panniers?
1) Thank you for the warm welcome. It feels like I've entered heaven!
2) Bash plates available and I've installed one from raw performance store. However that'll still reduce the GC. And yes, my friends from group got the oil sump replaced after hitting potholes & speed breakers of "Smart City" Bengaluru.
3) I've done only around 200-300kms with pillion. Pillion comfort was good during that trip. Rear suspension is soft and provides a comfortable ride.
4) I do have SHAD46 top box mounted on Triumph top rack. Rynox optimus tank/tail bag. Dirtsack tail bag.
Mounting of soft bags is very comfortable as I've experienced. Even Carbonado is one of the best options to choose from. Different capacity bag can be mounted on one another. I found it comfortable with tail bags.
Saddle stays are hardly available, only one or two vendors available as of now.
Old 16th July 2023, 19:25   #6
BHPian

Congratulations. I will wait for more ownership feedback from you in the coming days.

The Multistrada V2 and the Tiger 660 will always stay on my radar. The Multi for the electronics and the Tiger for the three cylinders and rideability. After doing much research, I bought the KTM Adventure 390 last week. Though I have ridden bigger bikes overseas, buying one here in India never made sense, considering the traffic snarls. The plan is to get used to some riding techniques by participating in the ProXp events, completing a few rides to Sirsi, and then upgrading in a year or two. Hopefully, the Tiger660 will get the Cornering ABS and optional Cruise control by then since the latest Street Triples have got those. (I still can't digest how KTM managed to have cornering aids on a 390cc)

Regarding service, I consider myself lucky to be in Pune. Have a very good relationship with BU Bhandari from my VW and Tata ownerships. They also happen to own the Triumph showroom here. So yeah, I have ridden the Tiger 660 twice on long stretches, and not a complaint from the showroom. I still keep getting calls for test rides. Similar with KTMs, I had done my internships at Probiking long ago. So the folks who manage the showrooms (Sai Service) are very friendly, and I have learned everything about motorbiking from them.

Best Wishes again!

Last edited by virajvroom : 16th July 2023 at 19:49. Reason: added context
virajvroom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 22:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by virajvroom View Post
Congratulations. I will wait for more ownership feedback from you in the coming days.

The Multistrada V2 and the Tiger 660 will always stay on my radar. The Multi for the electronics and the Tiger for the three cylinders and rideability. After doing much research, I bought the KTM Adventure 390 last week. Though I have ridden bigger bikes overseas, buying one here in India never made sense, considering the traffic snarls. The plan is to get used to some riding techniques by participating in the ProXp events, completing a few rides to Sirsi, and then upgrading in a year or two. Hopefully, the Tiger660 will get the Cornering ABS and optional Cruise control by then since the latest Street Triples have got those. (I still can't digest how KTM managed to have cornering aids on a 390cc)

Regarding service, I consider myself lucky to be in Pune. Have a very good relationship with BU Bhandari from my VW and Tata ownerships. They also happen to own the Triumph showroom here. So yeah, I have ridden the Tiger 660 twice on long stretches, and not a complaint from the showroom. I still keep getting calls for test rides. Similar with KTMs, I had done my internships at Probiking long ago. So the folks who manage the showrooms (Sai Service) are very friendly, and I have learned everything about motorbiking from them.

Best Wishes again!

Thank you for the wishes. I'll be soon posting on accessories available for this bike and more detailed reviews in the coming days. Thanks
nbhat24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 08:33   #8
BHPian

Congratulations and the bike does steals heart. Hopefully the nagging issues will get sorted or you can ingeniously overcome them. Looking forward to your travelogue and romance details with you and your beast in coming months.
bhugs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks