Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2024, 10:23   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1Krider_R View Post
3rd Service - 20-01-2024

Vinayak at Anzen was the service advisor who took all the details and checked for any problems. Everything was ok, just had to adjust the chain slack. Engine oil replacement was recommended and Airfilter cleaning was planned, he also said that they will not be washing the bike due to some issue at their end. Everything was ok upto this point. As he continued with his inspection and taking photos, Vinayak observed that the brake pads on the front rotors were up for replacement and had 20% life left in them. My heart skipped a beat and on listening the cost of the OEM replacement pads my wallet also trembled. He quoted a cool 12,000/- rupees, and asked if we could go ahead and replace. Without any research and hesitation, I said please change and left the SVC.

Next day rode 100kms to check if everything was ok and parked the bike for adventures to come ahead.
Hey Rohan,
Sorry for the rather delayed response, I'm surprised to see you go through your brake pads at 10K KMS, you need to ease up on the throttle hand a bit.

You'd can't ever go wrong with sticking to OEM parts, but keep an eye on EBC pads during the next change. My bike is still on the stock pads as it nears 14k KMS.

Cheers
Hiren
hiren.mistry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 19:32   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Hey Rohan,
Sorry for the rather delayed response, I'm surprised to see you go through your brake pads at 10K KMS, you need to ease up on the throttle hand a bit.

You'd can't ever go wrong with sticking to OEM parts, but keep an eye on EBC pads during the next change. My bike is still on the stock pads as it nears 14k KMS.

Cheers
Hiren
Thanks Hiren, will check out the EBC pads next time.
I also received advice on utilizing engine braking often, considering the bike already has a slipper clutch and a downshift auto-blipper.

Utilizing your advice on going easy on the throttle combined with engine braking I think the new set should last longer.
N1Krider_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 19:11   #33

Quick update : New Arrow Exhaust Installed

It will almost be a year next month when we got the Nimbus home, so far we have done 14,000 kms. While we are a month early, I have already jumped the gun while browsing the parts catalogue.

Recently did a 2K kms trip doing a bucket list circuit of Gujarat, and while the trip progressed the itch to install a after-market exhaust was getting unbearable. Once back home I looked up on the internet on the best exhaust system for Nimbus, the usual suspects were Akrapovic, Arrow and Scorpion. So we dwelled deeper on YouTube to find the best symphony creating can, as performance was not on the cards. Given the fact that 95% of us install these exhausts only for the sound and aesthetics, and never in my life i would be able to extract all those 142 horses or that 110 nm of earth moving torque.

Spoke to a couple of friends and a fellow Team bhpian @hiren.mistry on probable options. Full system was ruled out for the fact that it would be extremely loud for the purpose this bike is built for. I agreed, as it would be really head numbing to ride 500-1000 km days with loud full system exhausts. So, the search begun for Slip-On exhausts. Akrapovic was out of the list first given how exquisite and expensive their products are, Scorpion was also out as only a race can (shorty) was available. Arrow had the Indy race exhaust on offer for INR 57k, which was right in the sweet spot in terms of both cost and required output.

I had experienced the Arrow slip-on earlier at the Kawasaki dealership on the same bike. So, the gut instinct was also to go with the tried and tested option. I admit that i would have loved to have the Akrapovic slip-on, but it was double the cost. Same goes with Scorpion slip-on, but again it was also expensive and loudest of the lot. You get the gist; it was easier to narrow down on the arrow.

Weekend was near and my Lizard and Monkey brains were all lit up, the newer part of the brain was put to sleep by these 2 asking it to just shut the F up - "Tu to naya hai, don't teach us." Called up Performance Racing Store, which is located in Tardeo, Mumbai. They confirmed that they had 1 piece in stock and sent me a couple of photos and the part number (71914AKN) for confirmation. Called up my younger cousin brother-in-law (Parth) and off we went in his car.

We reached the shop, and it was a quick transaction, some discount asked, and some given. Quickly we took a couple of photos for posterity as this was an epic moment of my motorcycling journey. Exactly 10 years back I had been on the opposite side of the road, with a Leo-Vince exhaust for my Fazer150 at Bachoo Motors. 10 Years later I come back, albeit on the other side of the road, holding an Arrow Exhaust for the Ninja1000 at Performance Racing Store.

At the Store
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-evolution.jpg

We waded back home in the Saturday afternoon traffic and reached X-shaft motorcycle garage. While my cousin waited at the workshop, I quickly went home and got the Nimbus. While we were in queue for our turn, we both were dying in anticipation how the bike would sound, Parth was a bit sceptical on the purchase as he had experienced slip-on exhausts and written them off as duds, i.e no change in sound only aesthetics. And mind you this exhaust was an Aluminium build, so it was not right up the looks department either. I on the other hand was kind of sure about the sound as I had experienced it earlier.

Installation
Anyhow, our turn came, and we opened up the box. Everything was in place, it looked like a simple swap, and it was. By the time I could register, the skilled mechanics at X-shaft had already taken off the stock exhaust.
Stock end can weighed - 6.25 Kgs.
Arrow slip-on weighed - 2.4 Kgs.
+ now I have clearance to install spools, which I did not have with the stock exhaust.

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-old-system.jpg

Quickly the new exhaust was installed, in the meanwhile I was getting some unsolicited advice on how to choose an exhaust, maps etc. by a guy who was servicing his Ducati Panigale at the workshop. I missed capturing a couple of photos due to this, but managed 1 photo while the old exhaust was out. 1 mounting point and 2 bolts to tighten + some solution being applied which came with the package (The mech said it is for ensuring there are no leaks), and we were ready.

The first time we fired her it was with the DB killer in, and there was a noticeable rumble. I did not like it and Parth confirmed it, Ishan (who owns the workshop) was of the opinion to let it be as it would be much louder without the DB killer. He quickly asked "should i remove the DB killer?" Myself and Parth both excitedly shouted, "DB killer off" and waited in anticipation like kids drooling in a candy shop.

Turns out, the DB killer is held in place by a small piece of weld, which once removed can only be welded back if you want to install the DB killer again. We both shouted again, "Please take it off". With a small screwdriver it was taken off and the ring that held in place was pinched with a special tool and slowly taken out. The DB killer required some wrestling and eventually it came off. Ishan gave the signal to switch on and start the bike.

Words aren't enough to describe it, we were grinning like kids as the bike started. Sweet bass, nothing loud like a Full-system exhaust. A nice deep rumble at idle and bass when on the move.

Took the bike out for a spin, as we were hungry since we did not eat anthing post lunch. The 2 km ride upto the shawarma joint was revelling. The bass sounded much deeper in the helmet than i expected and the bike felt alive.

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-new-installed.jpg

Next day we went for a quick breakfast ride, the morning starts now require a slow push to the gate as you would not want the neighbours to get up along with you at 5 am. Enjoyed the 270 km ride, soul satisfied.

Nimbus on XP100 diet
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-xp100.jpg

Rear View
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-rearview.jpg

I asked chat gpt to write a short poem to sum up the experience, here it goes:

In the heart of the Ninja, a transformation was found,
An Arrow slip-on, with a deep bassy sound.
Gone is the electric whistle, so thin and light,
Replaced by a rumble that ignites the night.

The throttle unleashed, a symphony of power,
Roaring through valleys, a beast to devour.
Each twist of the wrist, a thunderous growl,
Echoes of freedom, breaking the mundane scowl.

The Ninja 1000 SX, now a beast untamed,
With Arrow's melody, its spirit reclaimed.
No more whispers, but a roar from within,
The road is alive, with a new tune to spin.

So let the asphalt tremble, and the wind sing along,
With Arrow's deep bass, the heart beats strong.
A symphonic ride, where the soul takes flight,
Thanks to Arrow's slip-on, the Ninja owns the night.

A little lighter to maneuver
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-breakfast.jpg

PS : The Arrow website FAQ section
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-faq.jpg
N1Krider_R is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 21:30   #34

What a fun weekend!! Cant wait to get slip ons for my interceptor now.

Last edited by KarthikK : 16th March 2024 at 23:30. Reason: Removed special character formatting
kaza is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 22:26   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1Krider_R View Post
Quick update : New Arrow Exhaust Installed
Awesome!! Finally after a few hiccups the search has ended for you. Cant wait to hear Nimbus in all its glory soon.

Cheers!
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2024, 09:35   #36

I'm pretty sure these aftermarket exhaust don't have catalytic converters right. If so, how do you pass the PUC?
India really does have some of the worst laws for car and bike enthusiasts. Our ministers, while doing exceptional work in building our highway infrastructure, regularly pass off, what can only be termed "stupid" statements like phasing out all petrol and diesel vehicles for EVs. Things like this actively make me think about moving out of India
Old 27th April 2024, 16:38   #37

Re: Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | 15000kms -1 Year |Touring 2-up on my dream machine

Well, the travel log has not been getting the love it needs no matter how much I try. Anyway, guess what? It's been a year already since I embarked on this incredible journey with the Kwacker. And what a ride it has been! Join me as I peel back the layers of my time and travels with the Nimbus, sharing the raw data and heartfelt emotions behind each kilometer traveled. (Not literally every km, don't worry )

I intend to write down the complete list here as a reference for myself and anyone aspiring to purchase this beautiful machine. Here I have been gathering all the intel on kilometers ridden, money spent on fueling, service, tyres, insurance, modifications, and riding gear upgrades.

Kilometers Ridden:
Let's kick things off with the hard numbers - the kilometers I've clocked on my trusty steed in the last 12 months - 15,000. From the first exhilarating ride Home to the latest breakfast run, each kilometer has been a testament to the freedom and joy that comes with exploring the traf**kked roads of Mumbai to the open Highways of MH, GJ, KA, GA, KL, TN. From city streets to winding mountain passes, we have covered it all, and the odometer bears witness to the kms of memories etched into every twist and turn.

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-15000.jpg

Money Matters:
Now, let's talk finances - because every journey comes with its costs, both tangible and intangible. I've been tracking (roughly) the amount spent on fueling my passion, servicing my ride, replacing worn-out tyres, securing insurance, and indulging in the occasional upgrade for both myself (apparels) and my machine. It is a proof of the investment required to keep the wheels turning, but each expense has been worth the priceless experiences gained and the amazing friendships forged along the way.

Ninja 1000sx - RY-2023-24 (1st year) ownership running cost

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-expenses.jpg

I have deliberately kept the insurance cost out of the above calculation, as I intend to count it in the RY-2024-25

Emotional Rollercoaster:
But beyond the numbers lies the heart and soul of my journey - the emotions that have accompanied me through every mile. There have been moments of pure exhilaration, as we flew to our destinations like an intercontinental ballistic missile, carved the corners like a MotoGp maniac, and explored breathtaking landscapes. There have been a couple of moments of frustration, as I've faced unexpected obstacles and mechanical gremlins (Read : Punctures and a TC sensor covered in muck). And there have been moments of sheer joy, as I've forged bonds with fellow riders and shared in the camaraderie of the road.

As I close the chapter on this first year of my journey, I'm filled with a sense of gratitude for the experiences I've had and the memories I've made. And as I look ahead to the road stretching out before me, I can't help but feel a sense of excitement for the journeys yet to come. Collated a few pictures from each month for posterity, enjoy !!

April
Out on a solo run to complete the run-in; returned back home meeting a random bike enthusiast who was riding a Honda Fireblade - now friends for life. Thanks to VT for introducing to HRC and all the amazing people in the group.
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-vt.jpg

May
First service and a midnight run with the missus
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-1stserv.jpg
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-bluromidnight.jpg

June
18-day trip to the southern tip of India
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-southboys.jpg

July
Monsoon trip with the group where it all started - NHT
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-nht.jpg

August
City run, last ride with the Tall Boy V650 - btw bff still cries after selling off the beloved NightRaven. Idiot refuses to buy it back as images of the bike float around the internet since its back on SALE again! - Universe does give you a chance, pounce on it! Money can be made back again; health and memories aren't coming back.
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-tallboylastride.jpg

September
Took Nimbus to my native in the monsoons; beautiful vistas all over.
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-konkan.jpg

October
Trip to Baroda
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-random-3-jpg.jpg

November
Forged friendships with a few more bike enthusiasts (Doc RS - CBR650R) who helped improve my riding skills. Changed tyres to Vreds thanks to the master of resources - fellow Team Bhpian Hiren Mistry.
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-10000.jpg

December
High-speed runs and some more inputs on riding techniques by Doc, Hiren (Z900), and VT (CBR650R - another idiot friend who sold his beloved 650)
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-hrc.jpg

January
Roaming in the Tamhini ghat with missus
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-tamhini.jpg

February
5-day Gujarat ride with younger brother MG (keeping the KTM legacy alive), his friend, and my good old friend (the latter two are RE guys)
Stranded by the mighty Himalayan
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-stranded.jpg
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-gj.jpg

March
As I mentioned earlier, this bike just keeps on raking in new friends. This is the new crazy touring group that I love riding along with, called "Mars". Amazing bunch of people with an equal love for motorcycling and wandering.
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-mars.jpg

April
Photo shoot done by an old friend
Admiring the beautiful Japanese engineering
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-standing.jpg

Some cornering fun
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX Ownership Review | Touring 2-up on my dream machine-cornering.jpg

Well, this was it folks! See you again with a new post; hopefully, I can push through the travelogue soon.

Cheers!
N1Krider_R is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks