Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2007, 00:09   #1
BHPian

Aprilia new 850 Mana (Automatic Gearbox Motorcycle)! Pics

There's a post here on T-Bhp someone asking why there's no automatics in motorcycles. Well I never got to answering that post.
Firstly there have been a few attempts to make motorcycles Automatic. Kinda like a Motorcycle with a scooter transmission (CVT's from Honda's). Infact the first one I know would be the Honda 750A which was 2 speed only.

All that aside here's Aprilia's answer for a scooterised city motorcycle with enough Horsepower for you to run out of roads in the city. Its the Aprilia Mana 850.
The rider can choose between sequential or auto gear change. In sequential mode it'll be with the help of a +/- switch the rider pops through gears. In automatic it'll pretty much be similar to a Honda Dio or other similar scooters.

Here's the specs -:
850cc V-twin 4-stroke liquid cooled
Power - 76.1HP @ 8000rpm

GEARBOX - Sequential with manual or automatic mode
7 ratios in manual mode (thats really good).
3 mappings - (Touring, Sport, Rain in automatic mode) which i think is fantastic.
Its like making best use of having an automatic. Might as well throw in all these. I'd say this motorcycle will pack a whole lot of electronics and definitely a whole lot of software managing the gearbox.
User can switch between manual and automatic and any point even during riding.

Clutch = Automatic (hero honda street?)
Final Drive = Chain
and so on..

I think its shape of things to come. I'd definitely love to have the clutch and gears in my control but for those who ride a lot in the city after some time it gets tiring holding down on the clutch and managing launches in traffic. I'm sure other mfg's will come out with similar motorcycles as well.

There's a whole lot of other features and lots of storage space on this motorcycle. Plus i definitely think it looks pretty cool.

Above - Gear Mode Selector

Above - Why oh why don't other motorcycle manufacturers come up with such space efficient designs. All us riders know how annoying it can be sometimes to carry around/manage your helmet. This is the space where the gas-tank is usually located. Hang on till you guys see more.

Above - So here's the gas tank located beneath the rear seat. The gas-cap can be seen in the pic above.

Above -: Here's the gear selector (open = downshift)

Above -> + = upshift. This motorcycle also has a regular shift lever near your left hand side foot-rest. That can be used as well.

So the space beneath the rear seat also easily fits another helmet. If you have a pillion rider he/she can store her helmet there as well. This motorcycle is seriously user friendly. Some other italian bikes such as Cagiva 125 etc. also have helmet storage space.

Above -> Check that out. A neat storage space for your cell phone. I've ridden on the interstate here in really cold weather distances over 300miles ~ 480kms. And towards the end even a small bunch of keys in my pocket had started annoying me I'd love to have such storage space.

So what do you guys think? Appeals to you guys????

Last edited by highwayblaze : 4th October 2007 at 00:19.
Old 4th October 2007, 01:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Awesome!!! Now thats a really impressive bike!
I'm pretty sure bikes like these would encourage more people to start biking,espcially here in the US (or actually,anywhere in the world ).
I really like the features on the bike. The best one being the storage space for the helmet.
Old 4th October 2007, 08:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looks absolutely fabolous with its naked street bike look.
Old 5th October 2007, 08:04   #4
BHPian

If I may ask... whats the price of the bike.. looks really good.. I dont think we have any of them in India
Old 5th October 2007, 19:40   #5
BHPian

No we dont have this and many others in india either but that doesnt stop us bike lovers talking about them. Its an Aprilia so it'll be expensive (in comparison) to the japanese. But still worth the money in the western world.
Old 5th October 2007, 19:41   #6
BHPian

I guess the other bike lovers on here are asleep??? OR this motorcycle is too boring for them.
Old 5th October 2007, 21:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wouldn't think so, highwayblaze.. Guess people haven't taken a look so far.

-> 850cc V-twin 4-stroke liquid cooled ;Power - 76.1HP @ 8000rpm

Thats a pretty decent amount of power!. I bet a majority of the fairer sex would like this bike for the auto tranny.
A colleague of mine has 2 bikes. She's been a biker for a long time,and she was telling me how her sister had been looking for a auto tranny bike. Guess she's in for a treat!
Old 5th October 2007, 21:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze View Post
So what do you guys think? Appeals to you guys????
Sure does. The biggest advantage here is the space available.

I'd love to ride this thru Dubai traffic - perfect! Looks bloody good too.

Question is - how many $$$ ? The italians are costlier already and nowhere as reliable as the Japs. The Auto will take them beyond BMW territory.
Old 8th October 2007, 21:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Sure does. The biggest advantage here is the space available.

I'd love to ride this thru Dubai traffic - perfect! Looks bloody good too.

Question is - how many $$$ ? The italians are costlier already and nowhere as reliable as the Japs. The Auto will take them beyond BMW territory.
It shouldn't be more than 11k I'd guess with the better aprilia's selling for just around 15k.
I'd say thats a good bargain for all they have to offer. After all if you're a city rider and chose to buy a 600 naked for comfort. You can shell out the price of a litre bike and buy even more comfort and convenience with the difference in price.
Old 8th October 2007, 22:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thats right.Totally worth it. Especially for city riding,this would be a good buy.
Old 9th October 2007, 12:05   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont like this :(

I prefer manual shifting bikes. even in heavy traffic. I prefer having the power at my command.

I know I can use this bike in manual mode too, but then, why spend so much on the automatic bike in the first place ?
Old 9th October 2007, 20:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Guess its for the benefit of those who do not ride geared bikes, and also for those looking at have the AT option on a bike.
Old 10th October 2007, 02:27   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008 View Post
I dont like this :(

I prefer manual shifting bikes. even in heavy traffic. I prefer having the power at my command.

I know I can use this bike in manual mode too, but then, why spend so much on the automatic bike in the first place ?
Nikhil. Such bikes will get more people into motorcycling. Those ppl in the western world who're only used to driving automatic SUV's or cars or what ever and shy away from clutch and shifting will fancy this idea.

Especially women who've wanted to do some motorcycling this is a great start/option.
Its like having a city scooter but a motorcycle. All the scooter riding fun and motorcycle handling and stability with speed etc etc.
I do think its a big deal. All motorcycle manufacturers will follow suit if this picks up! You'll see more ppl / women biking now!
Old 10th October 2007, 02:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Exactly what I felt, and mentioned right from the start.
This would get a lot of women into riding bikes. The common problem faced by them,is the gear shifts that go with concentrating on the road. I do know a bunch of guys who face the same problem.

No gear change= more concentration on the road + more relaxed ride.
That would sum up the main attraction of these automatic bikes.
Old 10th October 2007, 13:18   #15
BHPian

She is a buety, sp the storage space. Why can not this come to us earliest??? Hope some body from our indigenous, bike makers are following this thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks