Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2010, 22:45   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

You get to bring, roughly speaking, a household consisting of one of everything. I paid Rs4,000 when I did it.

Cars... now that's a different matter. I guess there are other threads specific to this.
Old 12th March 2010, 22:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

You cannot register LHD cars in India.
Old 12th March 2010, 22:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
You cannot register LHD cars in India.
I obviously know that, thats why I mentioned I have BIG plans

I need to know more about cars, the other stuff doesnt bother me as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You get to bring, roughly speaking, a household consisting of one of everything. I paid Rs4,000 when I did it.

Cars... now that's a different matter. I guess there are other threads specific to this.
Thanks, I will be doing the household for sure. Who did you use for shipping? Was it relatively simple?

Also can we take 2 cars? One for the wife and one for me? because technically we both are taking a TR.

Last edited by Dippy : 13th March 2010 at 16:16. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use the edit function if posting within 20 minutes of your earlier post.
Old 13th March 2010, 00:36   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Who did you use for shipping? Was it relatively simple?
I shipped from UK. I used a Chennai company, who sent various Brit packers/movers to estimate that end, then managed the move, warehousing at each end, port and customs clearance, and delivery to the door.

Whilst the company seemed excellent, the excellence was all down to one person --- when she left, we discovered how incompetent the others were, so I won't recommend! That lady is in a freight company now, commercial, not domestic, so I can't even usefully pass on her name.

Notwithstanding their fall from grace, I was pleased with the port clearance result and the small bill for customs. The customs guys stamp your passport: there is strict limit to how often in life one can do a TR!

Yes; it was relatively simple. If it hadn't been for my requiring storage either end (and the several weeks aboard ship, of course) it would have been just like moving from house to house in the same town.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 13th March 2010 at 00:38.
Old 13th March 2010, 04:08   #20
KMT
BHPian

Buddy in spite of TR, the story does not look too good from a $$ perspective. It depends on how badly you want to see your big plans come through. Apparently a lot could depend on how well connected you are to the Customs person who values the car in India.
Attached is the central board of customs and excise link (scroll to the last 3/4th of the page)-
CLEARANCE OF INCOMING PASSENGERS
Old 14th March 2010, 11:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the link. See I would prefer to perform the mods and do everything to the car while in the US, make use of it for few months and bring it down, so that all the issues are ironed out by the tuners here, but if its just not viable, I will have to get an RHD car i guess, but I dont know what to do with the current car the current economy is terrible.

Anyhow someone posted a while back that 150% duty was applied to residual value, thats messed up. Connections probably can be used, but even then a new car which is going to be a yr old, couldnt be made to look like many years old on paper(cant it ??)

I was really hoping that TR makes it easy for us to bring stuff to india. This Duty crap on cars is getting old, the govt needs to move into the new century.

I must be dumb, cuz I dont seem to understand this snippet from that site as to how we get 103.39% and if its 20% + the extra duties then still how does it make it so much higher.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice reqd. for a NRI (Transfer of Residence)-screenshotclearance-incoming-passengers-google-chrome.png  

Old 14th March 2010, 11:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

BTW why is this in motorbikes section? Is the original Q was for a bike, then I think my thread should have not been merged here.
Old 14th March 2010, 13:40   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was really hoping that TR makes it easy for us to bring stuff to india.
It does make it easier to bring your washing machine, TV, hifi, furniture etc etc. I think cars are a special case, and are going to remain that way.
Old 15th March 2010, 11:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

^ LOL, but I know its hard. I am trying to see how hard. Anyone with more info or experience in TR for brand new or used cars?
Old 19th March 2010, 21:59   #25
BHPian

if you have a lot of electronics then use all the thermocol and get your stuff INSURED.

these clearing agents can screw up the best of electronics in the best of packing. and it hurts when you see it in damaged condition. best is dump the electronics you can get best of stuff in india at a lil premium but with service, warranty and extended warranty too (4yrs).

also if you have octroi you have to spend up again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks