Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2016, 17:50   #76
BHPian

Re: Retro styled Kawasaki W800 : Launched (pg 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Its NOT an AD that I had posted, but Screenshot of the Official Kawasaki UK website. The Link to the source can be found in my post as well.

On the Webpage its clearly mentioned that this will be the last edition of the W800.

If launched in India, Kawasaki India might be clearing some of the remaining stocks on the W800 in India. Similar to how Ducati has done with the Monster 795/796, Panigale 899 and the Diavel in India - Models that have been discontinued / upgraded internationally.

Nothing wrong as long as there are customers who are willing to buy.
I stand corrected. Its a screen shot not an ad. About customers willing to buy I had said that in the post I made before this. On another note, Kawasaki is known to follow different strategies for different markets. It could be the final edition for Europe, but if there are takers for the model in the Asian markets, and the volumes justify continuance of production, it is probably not that big a deal for Kawasaki to upgrade the motorcycle to BSIV norms or Euro IV norms. Incidentally, I was talking to a mechanic at the dealer who told me that Kawasaki is going to break all relations with Bajaj from April 1st, 2017, including assembling at Akurdi for the smaller motorcycles. This has been reported on Bike Advice as well. Mechanics have been asked to choose if they would like to work for Bajaj/KTM or for Kawasaki.

One of the sales persons believes that Kawasaki is interested in some volumes (not the Hero, Bajaj, Honda numbers) smaller ones but not too small, and is therefore considering how it will position itself in India and what kind of products will it introduce. The positioning will be premium but how much premium is apparently the question. The same person believes that right now Kawasaki is exploring many options and not ruling anything out. Time will be provide the answers I guess.

Last edited by sadsack : 7th December 2016 at 17:53.
sadsack is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2016, 13:10   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsack View Post
I stand corrected. Its a screen shot not an ad. About customers willing to buy I had said that in the post I made before this. On another note, Kawasaki is known to follow different strategies for different markets. It could be the final edition for Europe, but if there are takers for the model in the Asian markets, and the volumes justify continuance of production, it is probably not that big a deal for Kawasaki to upgrade the motorcycle to BSIV norms or Euro IV norms. Incidentally, I was talking to a mechanic at the dealer who told me that Kawasaki is going to break all relations with Bajaj from April 1st, 2017, including assembling at Akurdi for the smaller motorcycles. This has been reported on Bike Advice as well. Mechanics have been asked to choose if they would like to work for Bajaj/KTM or for Kawasaki.

One of the sales persons believes that Kawasaki is interested in some volumes (not the Hero, Bajaj, Honda numbers) smaller ones but not too small, and is therefore considering how it will position itself in India and what kind of products will it introduce. The positioning will be premium but how much premium is apparently the question. The same person believes that right now Kawasaki is exploring many options and not ruling anything out. Time will be provide the answers I guess.
Interesting info Sadsack. With the W800 as is, I think Kawasaki should price it below the new Triumph Street Twin & Bonnie T100 range - really hope they do. Then they'll attract guys like me who wouldn't mind a modern retro with minimal gizmo-schizmo doodads like lack of ABS, traction control etc. Reliable, top-quality old-school roadster with genuine heritage and retro feel unencumbered by too many modern amenities - the reason why I regret selling off my 2006 carbureted Bonneville and why I rushed to pick up a last-of-the-line air-cooled 865cc '16 Triumph Scrambler from overseas.

And speaking of minimal gizmos, my friend has been servicing his W800 by himself these past two years - so far so good. No Kawasaki dealer here in the mountains of Bhutan. Atleast I get Triumph to send their technician once in a while from Kolkata!
grplr02 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2016, 08:53   #78
BHPian

I share your sentiment grplro2 about gizmos. Off late it has become the politically correct thing to talk about the necessities of all the gizmos that you have mentioned. I rather like a simple tech motorcycle and a speedometer and a fuel meter are all I require. I believe one should know one's own driving/riding abilities' limitations and those of the machine that is being ridden and if you know those you don't need anything else. I would rather be the one to control myself and the machine I ride than various electronic gizmos (those are for racers).

I do hope Kawasaki undercut the Triumph Street Twin in pricing. Kawasakis are very reliable, I know that from owning several models. You are right, you can mostly take care of them yourself. I am glad we share the same sentiments.

Last edited by sadsack : 10th December 2016 at 08:54.
sadsack is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 15:26   #79
BHPian

Am waiting for the W800. Will book it even without a rear disc or lack of ABS if the pricing is in the Harley Street 750 range. If it is priced around the same as the Street Twin from Triumph, then am sure people will go for the more modern Triumph with a slipper clutch, ride-by-wire throttle, liquid-cooling, etc.

This should be priced 6.5 lakhs on road. I bought my ER6n for 5.62 lakhs on road, so another lakh extra for a beautiful retro bike like this makes sense.

Last edited by Oreen : 20th December 2016 at 15:31.
Oreen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 13:40   #80
BHPian

More spy shots of the W800. Launch seems imminent:
http://www.motorworldindia.com/spied...st-time-india/

Ideally it should be priced at less than 7lakh on road. Anything more and it makes no sense over Triumphs superior offerings.
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 15:10   #81
Senior - BHPian

Kawasaki is known for the fit and finish but the aluminium finish on this bike in pictures seems akin to my RE Electra. The T-100 looks really well done & for once i don't mind the chrome finish. Maybe its just this one picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreen View Post
Am waiting for the W800. Will book it even without a rear disc or lack of ABS if the pricing is in the Harley Street 750 range.

This should be priced 6.5 lakhs on road. I bought my ER6n for 5.62 lakhs on road, so another lakh extra for a beautiful retro bike like this makes sense.
Oreen - the only reason for it to be priced above the ER6N in my opinion would be the retro-looks. It doesn't even get disc brakes at the rear if am right.
Even the engine is SOHC. Shouldn't you probably wish for it to be cheaper by about 50k than the ER6N?
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 16:03   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
More spy shots of the W800. Launch seems imminent:
http://www.motorworldindia.com/spied...st-time-india/
Hi timuseravan,

Source : https://www.zauba.com/import-kawasak...0-hs-code.html

Seems like Kawasaki has imported just one unit of this bike thus far.

If they were getting ready for launch, I imagine they would have imported quite a few more - either as fully built bikes or as bike components to assemble into bikes.

These imports would show up on the above site link.

But yes, we can all be hopeful.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
Old 6th January 2017, 00:12   #83
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking at the pics, it doesn't look like it would affect the sales of th Bonneville and Street Twin. Somehow the W800 doesn't appeal to the heart like the Bonneville. IMHO, it does look a bit like a bigger Bullet. The headlight, tail light, indicators - they all look as if they have been retrofitted from the Bullet. Also the front and rear mudguard could have been shaped in a better way.
Old 6th January 2017, 00:19   #84
Senior - BHPian

This bike was displayed for quite some time in Koregaon Park, Pune showroom. Now the display is changed and it is no more visible from the road.
Old 7th January 2017, 09:45   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Looking at the pics, it doesn't look like it would affect the sales of th Bonneville and Street Twin. Somehow the W800 doesn't appeal to the heart like the Bonneville. IMHO, it does look a bit like a bigger Bullet. The headlight, tail light, indicators - they all look as if they have been retrofitted from the Bullet. Also the front and rear mudguard could have been shaped in a better way.
Absolutely righ. Kawasaki should stick to what they make best. Sportsbikes

W800 cannot hold a candle to erstwhile Bonneville which is true retro style motorcycle
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 15:30   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Absolutely righ. Kawasaki should stick to what they make best. Sportsbikes

W800 cannot hold a candle to erstwhile Bonneville which is true retro style motorcycle
Avi mate Kawasaki W800 borrows its lineage from older BSA motorcycles. They have been building the W series bikes since the 1960's. Of course they(Kawasaki) are known for their sports bikes but their focus towards retro classic cannot be ruled out (now with the news of Z900RS coming out). I feel the W800 is as much retro style as the Bonneville T100. It has an air cooled parallel twin engine, retro style peashooter silencer, period looking twin pod instrument cluster, chrome embellishments, relaxed riding motor with more emphasis on bottom end torque, spoked wheels with 19 inch front and 17 inch rear configuration, single flat seat with ribbed pattern, etc. If they manage to price it well then it has the potential to take on the Bonneville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Looking at the pics, it doesn't look like it would affect the sales of th Bonneville and Street Twin. IMHO, it does look a bit like a bigger Bullet. The headlight, tail light, indicators - they all look as if they have been retrofitted from the Bullet. Also the front and rear mudguard could have been shaped in a better way.
Allen mate only the price can decide whether the Kawasaki W800 is able to take on the Triumph Bonneville T100, I have deliberately kept the street twin out as it is a water cooled modern engine. You will be surprised by people often mistaking air cooled Bonneville's as Bullet's too. I have seen and witnessed such instances while riding to Lonavala and Nashik. I look at it wherein the Bonneville T100 has some competition from the W800 in retro classic category.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 15:44   #87
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

A couple of days back I spoke to this gentleman from Khivraj Kawasaki Koregaon Park Pune showroom regarding the 2017 Ninja 650, Z650 and W800 launch dates/prices. The gentleman was very positive that all the three motorcycles are coming to our shores very soon but most likely post March 2017. He was not too sure regarding the Versys-X 300 though.

The W800 was displayed at their showroom for a few days to gauge response from prospective customers and enthusiasts as the launch is imminent.

From March/April onwards, sales and service of all Kawasaki's from Ninja 300 to the H2R will be done at Khivraj Kawasaki Koregaon Park only.

I am not sure if this means increase in Labour Costs for the 300/650 cc Kawasaki's to bring it in line with the other CBU's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Avi mate Kawasaki W800 borrows its lineage from older BSA motorcycles. They have been building the W series bikes since the 1960's. Of course they(Kawasaki) are known for their sports bikes but their focus towards retro classic cannot be ruled out (now with the news of Z900RS coming out). I feel the W800 is as much retro style as the Bonneville T100. It has an air cooled parallel twin engine, retro style peashooter silencer, period looking twin pod instrument cluster, chrome embellishments, relaxed riding motor with more emphasis on bottom end torque, spoked wheels with 19 inch front and 17 inch rear configuration, single flat seat with ribbed pattern, etc. If they manage to price it well then it has the potential to take on the Bonneville.
More than anything else, for a classic motorcycle connoisseur the W800 makes a strong case for itself as it combines best of two worlds : old-school classic British styling and modern-day Japanese reliability. If Kawasaki manages to price it sensibly, it will certainly have some takers.
Old 24th April 2017, 21:56   #88
BHPian

Sadly the launch seems cancelled!

Quote:
Last year, the Kawasaki W800 was spotted at a Pune dealership which gave rise to rumours that the Japanese bikemaker will be launching it in India soon. When we contacted Kawasaki officials regarding the W800, we were told that one unit of the bike was brought down to get customer feedback and if the responses were positive they might launch the W800 in our two-wheeler space. Sadly for the Kawasaki W800, its retro styling failed to please the Indian buyers and according to our sources the Japanese bikemaker has dropped its plans to launch the bike in India.
https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...anceled/27583/
Old 4th May 2017, 13:36   #89
BHPian

A very funny review of the Kawi W.

He's done some more reviews of other bikes too. Worth a watch even if you aren't interested in buying them
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 10:05   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
That's really sad. I wish other manufacturers launch something to compete with the RE Interceptor and Triumph Bonnieville. Perfect time for Yamaha to resurrect the iconic RD350 in 4 stroke format with classic styling and a 750-1000 cc twin cylinder engine.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks