Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2011, 16:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

DIY : Honda CBR 954 service

Been busy with the bee (954) and decided to spend some time going over and solving some of the niggling issues that I felt the bike had, the goals were to sit down with Vasu (yeah I know car guy going on to a bike) but my having worked with bikes previously gave me the confidence of being able to complete the job. Spent about a week going over the service manual and reading up to check processes of doing the following:

(Note: This was all done over 2 weekends, wrote it out as though it was done in one go)

1) Check fluid levels
2) Suspension Setup
3) Air filter cleaning
4) Clean Spark plugs
5) set the chain tension
6) HID's headache

So here is how I went about doing the same

1) Started by checking the oil levels and found that the motul was up to the mark and clean and did not require any change. Left at that, checked coolant level in the radiator and overflow can and found that the overflow can was empty topped up the same.

2) Suspension: Had major complaints with the front being too soft and the the damping on the rear also being too soft, this was a bit of the easy bit. Hardened the front fork pre-loads to max as recommended on other forums and moved the dampers to max and then dialed down to required levels.

Rear set I did not have the tools to harden the rear spring but dialed in the damper till I was satisfied.

3) Airfilter cleaning, undid the front of the tank and lifted it removing the airbox cover, removed the filter and found that it was clogged, put in a reminder to get a foam filter, undid the velocity stacks and removed the airbox completely and cleaned it, air cleaned the air filter for now and kept it aside

4) As the airbox was removed went about unplugging the coil packs and removing them to access the plugs, man was this a job for a contortionist to be able to do so in the confined space, the challenge got harder when we had to remove the plugs. (note: I had ordered the company spec plugs already as the bike had done 18k km's)

When I removed the plug was I in for a shock, the bike was running on 6 rating plugs from Bosch whereas the stock ones reccomended from the company were IMR9C-9H from NGK. When we removed the rest we found that 2 of them had gaps that were almost completely closed.

Took a sigh of relief and thanked my stars and went about replacing them and then reassembled every thing back.

Cranked the bike and it started in one go and had a big smile.

5) Setting the chain tension was pretty simple all that I had to do was to follow instructions to the dot and leave a 5 cm slack and re-lube the chain.

6) Rewind a week back when we had a go at the HID's as they were quite intermittent and would not light up correctly when required. Found out that there was no relay put in place to the HID's and it was running off the stock wiring harness causing all these problems, decided to put in a relay and rewire the whole stuff and relocate the ballasts to an empty area of the faring on the left side so that access to the radiator cap could be maintained. We used a new headlight relay and wired it in, relocated the ballasts, added shielding to the wiring, put in fuse on the main wire and zip tied it back to the frame to avoid rubbing to the forks. Took us over an hour and a half to get this done satisfactorily and then put it all back. Was a bit too late and when I went about to crank the bike it wouldn't start and had to jumpstart the bike.

Out comes:

1) HID's work well
2) Satisfied there is enough braking to keep me alive
3) Lesser clanking on moving into first gear
4) Also had the time to readjust the lever positions to my needs and the riding postures have become more comfortable
5) Had lost a bar end weight and decided to get some fabricated in brass and install them - Done
6) Lubricated the cables and the clutch and accelerator feel a lot more easier on the hands
7) Over all ride quality is up
8) Got the low end torque back

Please don't ask me about top speeds as I am taking it slow on getting accustomed to super-bikes after god alone knows how many years and even buying this was a spur of the moment decision.

Have only managed to go up to about 8k rpm at the best as yet and am happy with that knowing fully well that the roads out here are worse than any video game we could have played in our lives. Guess will stick to riding within limits than riding to the limits. Will update this thread as more progresses on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks