Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2011, 11:47   #1
BHPian

Queries on buying a used Toyota Hilux Surf

I have been bitten very deeply by the Gypsy bug and wanted to buy one as my second vehicle. In the past had checked out few gypsies but was not satisified as i wanted to buy an mpfi rather than a non mpfi model.

Now i am planning to use this as my primary vehicle. My daily drive is around 25 KMs with 2-3 long drives of about 250-300 KMs each in a month. I soon realized that gypsy is not a ideal vehicle for touring owing to the lack of creature comforts (AC, PS, PW), bad rear seats, petrol guzzler. So thought of a Bolero but some how me and my better half did not like the Bolero.

So still on the look out for 4wd tourer (intend to indulge myself in some mild to moderate offroading) came across this Toyota Hilux Surf (1 is available in our classifieds section), was impressed on its features which includes all creature comforts + 4wd + optional 8 seater + diesel + good looks and above all Toyota reliability.

After seeing Harjeev's LC and rahultomahawk's LC i am pretty much planning to buy a Toyota as a 4wd tourer.

My budget is 4-5 lacs max, so ruling out any new SUV. I am of the opinion that a used Toyota is better than a used Mahindra/Tata and hence prefer the Toyota. . Now here are my few questions to start with:
  1. Is it advisable to go for 1992/3/4 Toyota surf
  2. What are the maintenance charges for such a vehicle. There is Toyota Service center in Mysore so should be able to get it serviced from them
  3. What are the RTO registration formalities for a 19 yr old vehicle?
Old 16th May 2011, 20:30   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Queries on buying a used Toyota Hilux Surf

Excellent choice as a project vehicle. If someone were looking to buy a 20 year old Hilux as a hobby car, I'd highly recommend it.

But as a daily drive? NO WAYS! Don't ever buy an import if you are constrained by budget. Look, if you were the current owner and knew the entire history of the vehicle, sure. I don't mind a 20 year old vehicle as long as those 20 years consist of my driving. But buying someone else's 20 year old vehicle as the primary car on a budget is a big no-no. Doesn't matter if its built by Toyota or anyone else. A car constitutes thousands of parts that WILL suffer wear & tear. And those parts will need replacement. Not only will it be a headache for you to source them, and find good labour, but it will be expensive as well.

Please consider something more Indian & sensible. A well-maintained Scorpio suits your needs to the T. If you can take a loan, and thus extend your budget, the Thar is also well suited to your requirements.

Quote:
There is Toyota Service center in Mysore so should be able to get it serviced from them
The first time you see their quote for a major job, you'll run in the opposite direction. Just ask guys like me who own cars with high import content.

Last edited by GTO : 16th May 2011 at 20:32.
Old 16th May 2011, 20:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

With the budget that you have, it is highly recommended that you go for a Scorpio. Let us get real, a good used example would cost close to that. Keep X for repairs that may spring up (you never know on a used car)

Lusting for Toyota et al of a certain vintage. Stay away....you want the most reliable diesel sedan built in decades ? OFF TOPIC - Buy my E 250D..nothing needs attention, she is a totally re-furbished car at a throw-away price, because of my back problem.

PM me for details if interested. Unless an SUV is what you want !! In which case Scorpio is the only sensible option

Cheers
Old 16th May 2011, 21:54   #4
BHPian

GTO, thanks for your inputs.

One more point that i forgot to mention in the first post was that i already have a 2005 Esteem which is the current primary vehicle.
My idea was to buy the hilux as a second vehicle and see how it goes for some time. In case hilux turns out to be white elephant, then dispose it off and go for a used scorpio. If it is within my expenses then sell off the Esteem and probably buy a small used hatch (which wifey also can drive).
Considering this line of thought will it be sensible to go for the hilux

Ricky,
Thanks for your comments and your generous offer. Although at some point the diesel merc crossed my mind, i brushed it aside as i was looking for a SUV.

Scorpio is in my mind as a replacement if hilux is not feasible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks