Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2006, 00:21   #1

looking for advice before buying a SH SUV (Gypsy or Sierra)

Hi Everyone, I just joined this forum and looking for a sincere guidance from all of you for buying a secondhand SUV Vehicle. First bit about me, I am an IT professional Working in Bangalore and cant afford NEW SUV so it will be my first SUV, as of now I am having Diesel car (Indica V2) and I am overall happy with the mileage and maintenance cost of the vehicle.

As per my budget (approx 2.5 lac’s), I can have Maruti Gypsy or Tata Sierra. And that is what I want to choose 1 from these two.

Now here I am shooting my set of queries::::::::

1. Shall I go for Maruti Gypsy 2000 Model running on Gas Kit or some diesel converted Army disposal Gypsy of 1986 Model ? ??? I would like to have answer is in terms of durability and maintenance cost.

2. Which car is more preferable and is a first choice for people whole want to have SUV... i mean is it Gypsy or Sierra ...?? Many thanks if you can write few words as the justification for your answer to this query.

2. Is it advisable to purchase Tata Sierra..? At a stage when Tata have already closed its manufacturing. how long Tata is going to supply spare parts in Market for Sierra ???

3. When exactly Tata have stopped manufacturing Sierra? I want to know this, so that I can look for a model near to that closing date...

4. Do you have any clue or Idea if Tata is still supply new Sierra on order basis??

5. At how much km. a Diesel and a Petrol Engine needs overhauling??

6. Is it ok to buy a Sierra 2000 model completed 96000km at cost of 2 lacks. ?? Guide me bit more about the costing..

7. Can you guide me about a web site or a place in Bangalore where I can get a best deal for the product I am looking for...???

yeahhhh...!! I know I have pushed a lots of question on you guys but yaar I am in dammt situation in deciding the car and I want this to be done jaldi.

Eagerly waiting for your replies...
Thanks in advance for your all time and keep smiling ..coz that always increase our face value :-)

Cheers
Savraj Singh

Last edited by singhisking : 13th February 2006 at 00:22.
Old 13th February 2006, 00:23   #2
Team-BHP Support

singhisking

feels like i'm reading a QBASIC program here.
kindly get rid of the disabled formatting so its easier for us degenerates to read.
Old 13th February 2006, 02:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

well, to answer your queries..

1) surely, you can judge that a 2000 model mpfi gypsy king HT will be a LOT better than a 86 model.

2) as it's your first SUV, i would suggest you go in for a proper diesel. and since it's your first one, i don't suppose you are going to use the 4x4 often. therefore, i suggest the sierra.

3) tata stopped manufacturing sierra in it's turbo form, back in late 2001. but finding a 2001 sierra is impossible. nobody wants to sell their beautiful machine. a sierra turbo gives about 13 kmpl, and is the fastest diesel off the block; faster than the scorpio crde even, perhaps...

4) since you are looking for a secondhand car, whether tata offers the sierra now is of little importance. but still, last i heard a few months back, tata DOES export some LHD 4x4 sierra turbos. don't know if that has stopped, though.

5) usually, under normal driving conditions, a petrol could need some work around the 125,000-150,000 mark. a diesel, under the same conditions, at around 100,000. earlier, if not maintained properly.

6) 2 lacs is a bit much. if it's a sierra turbo, it should not cost more than 1.5-1.6, provided it's a single-owner car, and upto date maintained. if it's a N.A, forget it.

from your needs, it seems like a used 1999-2000 (if available, 2001; although it's like finding needle in a haystack) tata sierra turbo is the best option for you. you can get one for 1.3-1.8 lacs, depending upon condition and owner criteria....happy hunting....

Last edited by veyron1 : 13th February 2006 at 02:09.
Old 13th February 2006, 02:11   #4
Team-BHP Support

one seriously difficult question for me atleast, there is no space for the head in here, both the cars are extremely close to my heart, infcat the sierra turbo replaced the gypsy in my house. the gypsy was my brother s first love which i learnt to drive on (other than the 118ne), and the sierra was my first car that i fell in love with.
the gypsy is for the typical off-roader, whereas the sierra can handle extremely mild doses of it but is more of an urban toughy which gives you a certain amount of luxury feel in terms of seating and space, alongwith the ride which is extremely harsh in the gypsy even for the front seats.

i think i ll move to your questions now . . .

1. if you're buying a gypsy try and get hold of a gypsy king and don't mess with the altrenatives of diesel or gas, if you're looking at running costs gypsy is meant for you.

2. if you like suv s then sierra is a great vehicle to own, provided you can find yourself a well maintained one. parts are discontinued cars are mandatory for the company to provide for i think 10 years, please check on that though. the last of the revamped sierras were sold officially till 2002 (the coloured bumpers and all).

3. answer to sierra or gypsy already ansered, its what ou really want the car for, if its for city use then its gotta be a sierra as the absence of an aircon in a soft-top gypsy is threatening in the summer. and if you do buy a gypsy pleae get a soft-top one, the hard tops lack character.

4. last i heard tata yet had some stock of the sierra lying around which they did not intend to dispose, no orders nothing.

5. have no clue about overhauling.

6. sierra run 96000 for 2 lakhs is daylight robbery, 1.6if the car is in really good shape. the best of the sierras say a 2001 in bombay done about 50-70 k would cost you maximum 2 lakhs with everything working perfectly.

7. no clue again.

incase you go in for a sierra make sure all the electronics are working fine and double check the aircon as these are some serious sierra traits, and yeah 80% of the time all the rear lights would not be working at the same time.
in a gypsy look out for the suspension as quite a few soft-top owners enjoy off-roading, the four wheel drive is addictive bro.

lastly you have to be a serd to choose between 2 suv's, not at all surprised, go get your jeep and chak de phatte . . .

manson.
Old 13th February 2006, 02:21   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1

finding a 2001 sierra is impossible. nobody wants to sell their ba sierra turbo gives about 13 kmpl, and is the fastest diesel off the block; faster than the scorpio crde even, perhaps...
nowadays you can find one in mumbai with a decent amoutn of effort . . and about the sierra scorpio crde things, the sierra was fast but even the scorpio tubro would thrash it, crde should be a distant dream . . .certain about this one, 1996 gypsy, 1999 sierra turbo and lastly 2004 scorpio dx . . . explains everything i guess/

manson.

p.s. mods please merge both the threads
Old 13th February 2006, 05:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

A gypsy is a better bet bro.. as you can be assured os after sales service and also spares.. 2 lac for a sierra that has run 96K KM is way too much especially in bangalore.. also sierra i guess the spares are expensive.. but is a nice car for off road purpose compared to gypsy..
In bangalore you can check put some second hand car dealers.. web sites maybe the other members can guide you as i am not sure of them..
and NO TATA does not supply any more Sierra's on order basis also..

My choice would be the gypsy king.. With oversized tires that jeep looks good..
Old 13th February 2006, 05:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

The Sierras kept getting better with every year, so the best ones you can find are the last year of production.
Old 13th February 2006, 07:59   #8
Team-BHP Support

2.5L for a used Sierra / Gypsy is too much money.
Both these vehicles are not real SUVs. The Sierra dosen't have 4WD and the Gypsy is more of a butt-breaking Jeep.
The Sierra is decent to drive (thanks to its commanding driving position), comfortable and has a great ride, but overall, it best avoided. It has been taken of the production lines ages ago. The car was never too good to maintain. It always had niggling problems which got worse with time.
The Gypsy is better when it comes to maintenance. It has a better finish and paint job and if you are interested in real off-roading, it works brilliantly. On the road, it's just the opposite. The ride is a bone crusher and cornering is best done at really low speeds.
If you insist, I'll still recommend the Gypsy.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th February 2006 at 08:00.
Old 13th February 2006, 11:09   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
.. also sierra i guess the spares are expensive.. but is a nice car for off road purpose compared to gypsy..
you're kidding about the sierra being a better off-roader right? the gypsy is one of the best off-roaders we have bro . .

manson.
Old 13th February 2006, 11:57   #10
BHPian

gypsy or sierra ?? - not great choices on their own ....

hey singh, do you really want to do some serious off-roading or just need an SUV for size and space and ride comfort on bad-roads
in that case, dont go for a gypsy, unless you really want to dive into the rocks ...

why not consider a tata safari - huge, spacious, very comfortable and decent off-roader, and pretty decent on the tarmac too - you can get one for 3L without looking too far ...

Last edited by goldie_malhotra : 13th February 2006 at 11:59.
Old 13th February 2006, 14:20   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra

why not consider a tata safari - huge, spacious, very comfortable and decent off-roader, and pretty decent on the tarmac too - you can get one for 3L without looking too far ...
infact you could get a safri cheaper than 3 lakhs as well, but it is highly underpowered considering they use the same powerplant from the sierra in a bigger shell. and the earlier 99-2000 safaris have tons of niggles . . . running cost would be higher as well when compared to a sierra.

manson.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks