Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2011, 13:15   #1
BHPian

Which MUV (Bolero, Qualis, Tavera) to rebuild

I am looking for a 2nd vehicle for my family for 4 adults and 2 kids. But the constrain is the budget. Max 3.5 lakh what I can allocate for this purpose. So I figured it out that rebuilding an existing MUV( Bolero, Qualis, tavera)could be an option. Before starting this projects I am trying what are the issues will appear and their solutions.
Requirement .
Comfortably accommodate for 4 adults and 2 kids with some amount of luggage.
AC and Power steering and basic comforts ( good suspension)
Usage – 65% high way and 35% in city.
Has to be diesel
Reliable and easy to maintain.
Earlier we used to hire a cab for this purpose. But the cost involved is to high, the amount spent on 2 years on cabs, can be recovered. One more thing I don’t drive too fast like 100+, even on high ways I drive max 80kmph.
Please let me know your thoughts on the same, do I have any alternatives or suggestions/precautions that needs to be taken care.

Thanks for reading
SRI
Old 27th July 2011, 13:47   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which MUV (Bolero, Qualis, Tavera) to rebuild

Will be difficult to get a good one in 3.5L. A good Qualis goes for much higher, even though it is out of production.

IMO, from a serviceability & spares availability p.o.v, a Bolero would be easiest. But it is also the crudest of the lot.
Old 27th July 2011, 13:51   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Will be difficult to get a good one in 3.5L. A good Qualis goes for much higher, even though it is out of production.

IMO, from a serviceability & spares availability p.o.v, a Bolero would be easiest. But it is also the crudest of the lot.
Condoor,
I have seen quails with good body line km run 110000 ( verified from Toyota Service network) with price tag 200,000 for the top end version.

Your views please
thanks
SRI
Old 27th July 2011, 16:22   #4
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : *Bumping* up your own query or post is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP, and is considered as SPAM.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 27th July 2011 at 21:21.
svpatra is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th July 2011, 16:24   #5
BHPian

Can a TCIC Safari be rebuilt in this manner? I am asking this as I was contemplating something in these lines. Buy a Safari TCIC 2002-03 model for around 1.5 L and spend another 1.5 L to bring it up to top shape. TCIC as an engine is a reliable workhorse as seen in numerous Sumos. Question is is it possible/feasible to do up a Safari that way?
Old 27th July 2011, 17:08   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
Can a TCIC Safari be rebuilt in this manner? I am asking this as I was contemplating something in these lines. Buy a Safari TCIC 2002-03 model for around 1.5 L and spend another 1.5 L to bring it up to top shape. TCIC as an engine is a reliable workhorse as seen in numerous Sumos. Question is is it possible/feasible to do up a Safari that way?

I think rebuild of vehicle is advisable where the components are not very complex and costly. As TCIC I simple mechanicals this is very much doable. The difficult task to get a competent mechanic who is able to accomplish and genuine spare parts. In case of TATA and Mahindra getting genuine spare parts is not an issue.

Safari add on body parts are very costly and never came across an incident of safari build up. Gurus can throw some light on this.
SRI
Old 27th July 2011, 17:31   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sri, when you say re-build, what do you mean ? Pls elaborate

Also, I feel it will be difficult to answer your original question about what issues will come up. Issues will depend on the way the vehicle has been used and maintained. All 3 vehicles you have mentioned are proven ones. But a good vehicle will not be priced low. Even if you find one that you like, you will still need to get it checked by a mechanic and understand what problems & expenses you can expect.

I suggest you read this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...car-india.html

And keep looking for cars. You will be lucky to find one immediately. When you find a suitable one, you can share the details and ask for specific feedback.
Old 27th July 2011, 18:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Based on your budget and space requirements, I think Tavera is the way to go. Generally they last long as the mechanicals are decent and because of GM doesn't have an outrageous resale value as well.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 19:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpatra View Post
.... suggestions/precautions that needs to be taken care...
Please look out for a single-owner private regn. vehicle; do not go for the T-board ones, as the odo will most probably be tampered.

Qualis/Tavera would be my suggestion; definitely no Bolero/Safari.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 27th July 2011 at 19:17.
Old 27th July 2011, 20:24   #10
jav
BHPian

Hi SRI

The best car in the list is definitely Qualis, i have one and let me tell you out of all the cars i own my first pick to drive is always Qualis its an excellent vehicle and with a lightfoot driving style i always get around 14kmpl with dual a/c usage in city.

Although i did not understand the part about rebuild? as long as you get one which is single owned and has been properly maintained i doubt there will be anything to rebuild except maybe tyres/battery etc.
Old 27th July 2011, 21:23   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Either a Qualis or a Tavera is best-suited to your intended purpose. Look for the newest / lowest mileage / best maintained that you can find in your budget. Also, don't think twice about paying an extra 25 - 50K for a clean car (if you find one). It'll be well worth it in the long run.
Old 28th July 2011, 05:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

How about Force motors UV's? They are very Fuel Efficient and based on MB platform if I am not mistaken. Also resale should be low.

My second option would be Tavera.
Old 1st August 2011, 15:17   #13
BHPian

Dear Condor,

Overhaul means , as this done to harjeev’s gypsy, but the only thing that will change is no structural change , every part of suspension, steering , AC , engine and gear box will be taken outs and the condition will be checked and reassemble it. You are 100% right, every vehicle has its own statement. I am looking for a vehicle where the rust to almost nil, the issues that will emerge is the getting spare parts and there is another issue with tavera , after suspension overhaul the vehicle will have front inclined position, I don’t know the remedy , this is what my office driver told me.
I have driven the quails extensively , I liked it.

Blue Thunder
Thanks for your suggestion , I am looking for a privately registered and family used vehicle.

jav
Yes even Qualis is my first preference. The last production model with bigger bumpers. I had a chance to buy a 1,00,000 apx clocked Qualis but some how the deal could not materlised, if everything is in good state there is no need to overhaul, my plan is to check / repair everything before the vehicle put into use.

GTO
Thanks , I have gone through the articles about “how-buy-used-car” and saw your comments on that. I have noted the major check points and will be considering these while choosing a used vehicle.
Old 17th November 2011, 23:14   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
I'm sorry to post in such an old thread, but for what it is worth (and I would appreciate some information/experiences on this subject) Tata Motors actually has a recon engine option you could look into that option as they also offer a warranty with the recon mechanicals.

Here's the link for the same:

Tata Motors Customer Care :: Recon Aggregates

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks