Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2012, 15:47   #1
AVR
BHPian

SUV Portfolio Churn

Disclaimer: Rationality isn't expected as an assumption here. Both from me nor from anyone trying to help me out!

Current vehicles:
1) Tata Safari 2004 TCIC 4x4 (140,000 KMs) - Mine
2) MM Scorpio 2007 CRDe 4x2 (84,000 KMs) - Wife
3) MM Jeep 1990 Mod'ed MM540 4x4 (lol) - Mine

Plan A:
1) Sell Safari (my first car) and buy Storme 4x4, if priced properly
2) Keep Scorpio
3) Keep spending on the Jeep

Plan B:
1) Sell Scorpio and buy Storme 4x4, if priced properly
2) Convert Safari to a more touring/outdoorsy vehicle with a more powerful engine, mud-terrain tyres, change the interiors to suit long-distance and camping needs
3) Keep spending on the Jeep

Now the background of each vehicle with some pros and cons
1) TCIC Safari
>>Pros
- Comfort (Family prefers this for space, comfort on highway runs)
- Reliable & Smooth engine(No breakdowns in 140k)
- Goes where I take it
>>Cons
- Underpowered and not so drivable in city
- Falling apart. Almost. (Thank you for the quality, TML)
- Niggles - Blown fuses, leaking AC gas
- Big boat handling

2) CRDe Scorpio
>>Pros
- Drivability - More fun for the driver
- Reliable
- Aging better
>> Cons
- Not so great ride quality
- Cramped compared to the Safari
- Speedboat handling with all the rocking and pitching

Costing:
Plan A) 13L (Storme) -- 2-2.25L (TCIC Safari) ~ 11L
Plan B) 13L (Storme) -- 4.5-5L (Scorpio) + 3-3.5L (TCIC Upgrade) ~ 11-11.5L

Final Outlook:
Plan A) New Storme + Scorpio + Jeep
Plan B) New Storme + Restored Expedition Safari + Jeep

From a money outlook, it doesn't make much of a difference but the key difference is:
Plan A) We have only 1 'practical' daily-drive vehicle and 2 exciting weekend vehicles
Plan B) We have 2 'practical' daily-drive vehicles and 1 weekend vehicle (Storme can be both though)

Wife says Plan A (Can you imagine? ). I am confused because single practical vehicle can become an issue on a daily basis. But then isn't Plan A so much more fun

What do you guys think?

Cheers,
Adi

P.S. @Mods - Apart from the confusion about A vs B, I am also a bit confused if this is the right section to be posting it?

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th October 2012 at 23:46. Reason: Corrected Plan A & B as requested, thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 16:02   #2
BANNED

Re: SUV Portfolio Churn

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 10th October 2012 at 12:58.
Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 9th October 2012, 16:06   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

One thing for certain : Sell the '04 Safari. At 140,000 kms, it's getting to the end of its useful life. Plus, that TCIC engine is horribly under-powered.

Keep the Scorpio : She's still got another 50 - 60K kms left easily, if not more. The Scorpio is also still reliable.

Plan B sucks because you'll have two Safaris; the Storme will feel so much better that you won't touch the '04 TCIC. And yes, no point spending 3.5 lakhs on sprucing up the old girl either.

A Storme (weekend, fun and long-distance touring etc.), Scorpio (daily driver for the wife) and Jeep (offroading fun) sounds like the best option from those listed.

However, I'd urge you to test-drive the Duster & XUV500 as well. If the Storme is priced anywhere close to the XUV, the Mahindra completely owns it.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 16:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Disclaimer: Rationality isn't expected as an assumption here. Both from me nor from anyone trying to help me out!

Plan B:
2) Convert Safari to a more touring/outdoorsy vehicle with a more powerful engine, mud-terrain tyres, change the interiors to suit long-distance and camping needs
Sir, first of all you are a very brave man., and your wife braver still!

I shudder at the thought of owning a newly introduced tata model and an upwards of 5 year old mahindra/tata car together, but you, on top of that are also keen to have -the jerry on the cake - a Jeep!!

Your plan B looks a non- starter to me, given the overhaul you have in mind for a run down Safari. While I would have suggested you other options, but given that you are intent on choosing from one of the two scenarios you have outlayed for yourself, I'd suggest to go for the new Storme while retaining the comparatively fresher Scorpio.

Last edited by rrsteer : 9th October 2012 at 16:45.
rrsteer is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 16:52   #5
Team-BHP Support

Plan C:

1) Sell Tata Safari, Buy Tata Storme [For highway runs with family]
2) Sell Mahindra Scorpio, Buy Renault Duster [For Wife, city runs mostly, compact]
3) Sell MM540, Buy Thar AC [For off-roading, and perhaps city runs when you are driving alone]
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 16:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

AVR,

Look like you are completely hooked on the Storme. Suggest to wait for the T-BHP report and then take a call.

Safari needs to go. If you are looking for an offroader combined with city runs, you should test drive the Duster or if you are Ok with used car look out for a Ford Endevour.

I would suggest to think an year down the line when the scorpio would have also aged and it might be time to replace it. So why not take the opportunity now and think of a Fortuner to replace the Safari & Scorpio combined.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 16:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Plan A looks more practical in my point of view. If you keep the safari for longer the resale value may still go down further plus it has done pretty high mileage.
But why look at only Storme, you may as well look at XUV500 (my personal choice) and Duster(110 bhp). I am wondering how much the Storme is improved over the safari. Let's wait till the launch.
sridhar24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 17:21   #8
AVR
BHPian

Thanks Guys. Maybe I should add a few clauses here:
1) I just did up my Jeep over a period of 2 years and am looking for another project > Plan A
2) The Scorpio if it stays will be a city vehicle which is fine but there's no measure of comfort in that vehicle (the non-stop jerky action gets on your nerves) Wonder how it even sells.
3) I want one 4wd vehicle apart from the Jeep so the Duster/XUV are out. AWD doesn't matter!
4) Am not so stuck on the Storme but I don't want the Scorpio again, can't stand the look of a XUV and the Duster isn't a 4x4 plus the Safari's been comfortable throughout hence Storme has the TINA factor.

@ Rajith,
What kind of issues? Can you elaborate?
14B is awesome. Jeep getting ready in a week or so. how's your conversion? Happy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
One thing for certain : Sell the '04 Safari.
Keep the Scorpio
The Safari has been my first car so maybe that kinda makes it fuzzy. Also, the idea of doing up the Safari is tempting. Too influenced by spending time on the Jeep I guess!
I can only consider something technically if I like the look of it. Can't stand the XUV. Duster in 4x4 (if ever, then maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Sir, first of all you are a very brave man., and your wife braver still!
I'd suggest to go for the new Storme while retaining the comparatively fresher Scorpio.
Lol, Thanks rrsteer. The Jeep stays whatever else comes or goes. Once the new Storme comes, the old Safari is quite like a garage project rather than an additional vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Plan C:
1) Buy Tata Storme
2) Buy Renault Duster
3) Buy Thar AC
13 + 10 + 7.5 - 4.5 - 2 - 4 ~ 19 L (Beyond budget)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
AVR,
Look like you are completely hooked on the Storme.
if you are Ok with used car look out for a Ford Endevour.
think of a Fortuner
Used Endy might be a good idea. New Fortuner beyond budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24 View Post
Plan A looks more practical in my point of view. I am wondering how much the Storme is improved over the safari. Let's wait till the launch.
Ya. Should wait for the launch as pricing can be off the rockers as its a TML product!

@Mods can you please make the Plan A & B consistent at the top and bottom of my first post. Imagine the state of confusion

Last edited by GTO : 10th October 2012 at 12:59. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 9th October 2012, 17:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Now: Scorpio + Duster + MM Jeep.

A year or so down the line, sell the scorp and buy the storme or anything else that is available at that time!
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 18:11   #10
BHPian

From your posts, its clear that you are unhappy with the Scorpio and delighted with the Safari. You are swimming against the tide here.

But it is not advisable to plonk your money on a new Tata product, all Indian manufacturers use customers as their guinea pigs. V1 of Tata products have been a shoddy job, they only get their act together in V2.

I would suggest
Sell Safari - Get a Thar
Keep Scorpio
Jeep (K)

Your Safari is past its hey days, anymore you would only face niggles and disappointments. Let are go when you still have only good memories of her. Thar can replace it as a daily drive, with AC and hardtop its like any SUV. Since you are a jeeper, you will be in familiar territory here.

Scorpio still has 50k left in it, you could sell it at a latter stage when Strome V2 is released.

Jeep stays....

Last edited by mac187 : 9th October 2012 at 18:13.
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 13:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Plan A looks good to me, and any doubts on the quality of Storme will be laid to rest once it gets launched. Something inside me says this has got to be the best Tata product ever (and i have no data or evidence to back that believe).

I would nevertheless wait for the Team BHP review before taking a plunge, even if it closer to XUV in terms of pricing.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 19:32   #12
BHPian

AVR Sir, Sell the Safari. Take the Scorpio over, and get a Duster (85) for the wife. Keep the Jeep.

Duster is your city car (i was surprised how well it does in city).
Scorpio is your practical weekend car
Jeep adds 'Sir' to your name, and also is a fun drive.

If you ever decide to replace the Jeep (in which case I will stop calling you Sir), then you can replace that with the Thar AC. Surprisingly, the Thar also does quite well in the city, although no where as comfortable as the Duster.

Also - not that its my place to comment on 3 SUVs in your garage, but with a Jeep and one more SUV in the garage, maybe you can get away with a Honda City type third car.
torquing_points is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 21:48   #13
BHPian

Sir, best part of your thread was to read that in both the plans you are not interested in touching the old timer and are OK on spending over it. I am floored !

I suggest - Plan A - Sell the TCIC and go in for the Storme. You will simply love the 2.2 VTT Dicor engine. By far the best engine Safari was blessed with. Keep the Scorpio for the a few more thousand kms and it will still fetch you decent amount.

Let the old timer survive !

Drive Safe.
Ahmed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 15:03   #14
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Now: Scorpio + Duster + MM Jeep.

A year or so down the line, sell the scorp and buy the storme
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
You are swimming against the tide here.
But it is not advisable to plonk your money on a new Tata product
Sell Safari - Get a Thar
Keep Scorpio
Jeep (K)
After having the Jeep, if I go for a Thar, it better have a hardtop as I'll be sleeping inside. lol. Can you imagine the wife's reaction to that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Something inside me says this has got to be the best Tata product ever
Ya same here. No hurry as such in getting the first Storme off the line anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post
AVR Sir, Sell the Safari. Take the Scorpio over, and get a Duster (85) for the wife.

Replace the Jeep with the Thar AC.

maybe you can get away with a Honda City type third car.
Sir, Please stop calling me Sir, am not that senior/old remotely
Be assured, The Jeep never goes. Period. Not for a Thar. Selling the Safari looks like the popular opinion. Hmm. Don't enjoy driving the Scorpio much so surely not going to shift to that. Thought about the sedan for the wife but she also wants a SUV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed View Post
Sir, best part of your thread was to read that in both the plans you are not interested in touching the old timer and are OK on spending over it. I am floored !

I suggest - Plan A - Sell the TCIC and go in for the Storme. You will simply love the 2.2 VTT Dicor engine.
Let the old timer survive !
Lol true. Keeping the Jeep is non-negotiable.
Yup, the 2.2 engine is nice. I have TD'ed the Aria to get a feel of it and it felt good.

Oct 17 will hopefully have some good news for me in terms of pricing!
Old 11th October 2012, 16:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

The safari is reaching the end of it's life so now would be a good time to sell it. Even consider selling the Scorpio if you are unhappy with that as a family car (uncomfortable and cramped IIRC).

A used Endy, fortuner, pajero or captiva would all make suitable replacements at reasonable cost.

A sedan for the second vehicle would have been my choice but if that is not feasible (roads, wife's insistence, your needs) then two used off road cars will have to do.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks