Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2006, 08:22   #1
NIP
Senior - BHPian

The Ultimate 4x4 !!

I am planning to buy a 4x4 purely for thrashing around and using at my estate in coorg. I am not talking about a 4x4 thats expensive and comfortable, but one that you can bash around in the mud !! I'm not talkin about the wannabe cityboy offroaders' Pajeros or Terracans here...where u're bothered about the paint job or a computerized service station nearby. I'm talkin about a vehicle that can climb walls and cross rivers, and still lug around some equipment and produce !

The Mahindras rule in this area, mostly because they are cheap to run and easy to maintain. Apart from this, I think the only other 4x4 of choice is the Gypsy, but unfortunately it sips petrol and has a bad ride. Apart from this...there is the Judo, which is a rare sight on the roads. I have heard a lot about this vehicle, altho it still seems unpopular in the mountains after all these years of existence. What is the reliability and sercvice backup for this vehicle ??

What do you guys think...is there a real 4x4 out there....I think Mahindra should shake hands with Jeep once again and bring down the Wrangler...even a 5yr old model will do...to make it available for less than 7-8Laks. I'm actually contemplating on a used wrangler...any suggestions about where and how ?! Of course...I understand the problem of spares and service, but if I pickup a wrangler, it will be a second vehicle, purely for recreation.

I currently own a black Scorpio DX 2x4 and it can do a lot of bashing around in the mud ! It really has gone places that I thought was not possible before. Safaris are not so popular here as the engines dont seem to have the grunt to get them out of trouble, which is almost all the time in the estates and jungles around. Expensives SUVs are out of the equation here...you know what I'm talkin about. Why isnt any other Indian manufacturer thinking about a vehicle that will replace the bottom end 4x4 Jeep category? The classic was one helluva vehicle...i'm still tryin to get my hands on a decent vehicle, but current owners dont seem to want to sell any of them! A 4x4 Scorpio would be sweet, but I am looking at something that I would not feel bad to thrash around and still be cheap,tough and reliable and dosent require a cell network to get you out of trouble...options currently available:

1. Mahindra Major
2. Maruti Suzuki Gypsy 1.3
3. Force Judo (?)
Old 27th June 2006, 08:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

for that I would say an H2, but i guess thats not a choice..then I would imagine mahindra major..but i dnt know much about either of the vehicles..
Old 27th June 2006, 09:01   #3
BHPian

You'd want to look at this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...highlight=judo

And this website:
www.force4x4.com
Old 27th June 2006, 09:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Dude, go for a Land Rover man.....it will look very diffrent from the Mahindras going around (unlike the Wrangler, which only has evolved mahindra jeep styling).

Landys are just as good as Jeeps. I would suggest importing a Defender 90, or a late series Landy.
Old 27th June 2006, 09:57   #5
BANNED

Pajero? Cityboy offroader??? Well if you consider the Paris-Dakkar rally to be a city street I guess so...
Old 27th June 2006, 10:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

heavily modified ones run @ Paris-Dakar etc.

Yes, I broadly agree with the point made by the first poster that a good UV should be relatively inexpensive. And that in India is between apprx 5-7 Lakhs.

Terracan, Pajero, LandRover is for those with plenty of papa's blackmonies to spare. A honest tax-paying citizen can just dream about such things like spending 20+lakhs for a car and then spending 10,000+ for headlamps etc...lol

Is the Gurkha still being produced ?? Force website has details of a small chasis vehicle, is that the Gurkha they are talking about ?
Old 27th June 2006, 10:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP
I am planning to buy a 4x4 purely for thrashing around and using at my estate in coorg. I am not talking about a 4x4 thats expensive and comfortable, but one that you can bash around in the mud !! I'm not talkin about the wannabe cityboy offroaders' Pajeros or Terracans here...where u're bothered about the paint job or a computerized service station nearby. I'm talkin about a vehicle that can climb walls and cross rivers, and still lug around some equipment and produce !
...You seem to be talking about the Judo.

http://www.force4x4.com/video/4x4.wmv
Old 27th June 2006, 18:41   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker
Is the Gurkha still being produced ?? Force website has details of a small chasis vehicle, is that the Gurkha they are talking about ?
I think the Gurkha is still being produced, but it is strictly on a made to order basis and there is a 2-3 month waiting period for the vehicle..
Old 27th June 2006, 19:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thread Moved to Appropriate Section

Last edited by Mpower : 27th June 2006 at 19:32.
Old 28th June 2006, 10:03   #10
BHPian

Gypsy King ST is the only vehicle you need!
go for it!
Old 29th June 2006, 11:29   #11
NIP
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the response guys !! i've been doin some research and this force gurkha seems to be a superb vehicle !! who is the dealer in bangalore for force and any idea how much it costs !? since this vehicle is made to order...is there any chance of customization at the assembly line it self (askin for too much i guess ) ?! at leat the paint job n seats etc...!? thanks in advance !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks