Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2006, 17:15   #1
BHPian

choice of SUV - Porsche or Prado?

Guys,

One of my friends is wanting to go for a higher end SUV. I must confess that my knowledge of SUV's is practically nill. So could you guys suggest which is a better SUV - Prado or Porsche? I hear that the Porsche is expected in India in the first half of 2007.

- Biju
Old 19th October 2006, 17:25   #2
BHPian

with my limited knowledge i have learnt that if ur friend needs a true off roader then the porsche cayenne will not fit the bill, better stick to prado.

but if u want a soft roader then prado comes nowhere to cayenne.
Old 19th October 2006, 17:42   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well, the Cayenne is far superior to the Prado but then, the price difference is also almost 50%. While the Prado retails for 40odd, the Cayenne V6 (base) will cost your friend about 60 odd.

Have your friend test the Mitsubishi Montero (aka Pajero). Its 37 lacs on the road and preferred to the Prado.
Old 19th October 2006, 17:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani
with my limited knowledge i have learnt that if ur friend needs a true off roader then the porsche cayenne will not fit the bill, better stick to prado.

but if u want a soft roader then prado comes nowhere to cayenne.
If you feel Cayenne cant offroad, check this link.
http://www.porsche.com/middle-east/m...y/?gtabindex=6

I am sure they would have boxed up the car after this video.....

Last edited by mail4ajo : 19th October 2006 at 17:59.
Old 19th October 2006, 18:24   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Well, the Cayenne is far superior to the Prado but then, the price difference is also almost 50%. While the Prado retails for 40odd, the Cayenne V6 (base) will cost your friend about 60 odd.

Have your friend test the Mitsubishi Montero (aka Pajero). Its 37 lacs on the road and preferred to the Prado.
GTO,

his requirement is very simple. It has to be a head turner. The issue with pajero is that almost every dude has it and the name has been there for a long time. It has to be an off roader but nothing heavy duty. And off course, Sophisticated and comfortable. It will be chauffeur driven mostly.

- B

Last edited by talkingpebbles : 19th October 2006 at 18:25.
Old 19th October 2006, 19:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Biju,

Why is your friend not considering Audi Q7 ?
Old 19th October 2006, 19:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Your friend would like to seat how many people in his suv,would he be travelling a lot on the highways[toyota dealer network wider than porche and audi in india],or would his driving be limited to city only.Does he like to drive or be driven.

Is he interested in buying one only as a status symbol,is he interested in FE figures ...
Old 20th October 2006, 10:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude
Biju,

Why is your friend not considering Audi Q7 ?
I guess that could be considered too. missed my mind. or probably its again the brand porsche that gets the attention faster? not sure.

Biju
Old 20th October 2006, 10:03   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
Your friend would like to seat how many people in his suv,would he be travelling a lot on the highways[toyota dealer network wider than porche and audi in india],or would his driving be limited to city only.Does he like to drive or be driven.

Is he interested in buying one only as a status symbol,is he interested in FE figures ...
1. 7 seater would be fine
2. Not much of travel on highways. Mostly city drive
3. He wont be driving it
4. Having a better FE does help though not very particular as its gona be more of a status symbol.

- B
Old 20th October 2006, 10:11   #10
BANNED

I think Cayenne fits his bill perfectly. Alternatively the Audi Q7 or even look at the Range Rover if he prefers class over bling.
Old 20th October 2006, 12:15   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
I think Cayenne fits his bill perfectly.
Cayenne fits the bill. For me Prado is not really a "higher" end SUV. Also, it is exorbitantly priced, for a Toyota IMO
Old 20th October 2006, 14:34   #12
BHPian

The Range Rover gets a thumbs up from me. IMO it gives you the best of both worlds....exclusivity (not as common as a Prado / Pajero)....and a very capable off / on roader. The cabin is also one of the best in the business, i feel. It surely is a definite head turner with loads of presence....if that's what the objective is.
Old 20th October 2006, 16:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

Isn't the Porsche cayenne available only as a five seater.
Old 20th October 2006, 19:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO

The Prado costs about 46 on rd mumbai and the V-6 Cayenne costs approximately around the same, uts the V-8 which is 60 odd and the Turbos exhorbidantly 96+ (OUCH)
The prado is an excellent offroader as is the cayenne but the prados a higher , bigger (three row seats as compared to two rows in the cayenne spelled 7 seater and 5 seater respectivelly)

If you're lookin for status but the cayenne but if its a bigger car get the Prado. They're both good but id bet on the toyota service etc and back up any day over the Porsche india's.

Last edited by V-16 : 20th October 2006 at 19:33.
Old 21st October 2006, 16:33   #15
BHPian

thanks Guys! He seems to be finally narrowed down on Prado! thanks for all your suggestions.

Biju

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks