Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2006, 15:27   #1

Hi Folks,

I just now became the member of Team BHP. I'm planning to buy Safari 4x2 EX DICOR and came to know from one of the threads that Tata is planning a new 2.2L CRDI Engine. I want to know if it will be available soon so that I should wait. Also will the price be higher than the current model.

Cheers!
Old 24th October 2006, 00:12   #2
BHPian

Weclcome Vinod !.
Pls go thru the FAQ section of this thread.
Why can't you post your requirenments before posting your questions?.

Old 24th October 2006, 10:32   #3
BHPian

Guys,

My requirements are pretty similar in the sense that I have narrowed down on the Safari Dicor LX. I am planning on booking my vehicle by this weekend and would appreciate the group's response on the following:

a) Is Tata changing the body shell along with the 2.2 L Engine. I read a similar thread about the telcoline and that tata might use that for the new Safari.

b) When is the 2.2L engined safari expected?

c) Would it be at a significant price difference compared to the existing Safari Dicor?

d) Is it worth waiting for the new Safari?

as pointed out in this thread earlier, my requirements are pretty clear. I am considering only the Safari right now and nothing else and am buying it because I like the vehicle.

Thanks,
Sumit
Old 24th October 2006, 11:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

As you have narrowed your choice down to the safari it obvious you love the vehicle ,new engine or not ,External changes or not so if you are in a hurry you could go in for the present safari.Else be prepared for a long wait[atleast for a completely revamped safari]

External changes to the safari may not be around pretty soon since we pune guys would have seen some sort of a prototype at telco here.Regarding new engine change have no idea but the present engine is also CRDi so you will not loose anything when the 2.2L engine arrives[FE figures yes maybe but again if you are bothered about FE then safari is not the right vehicle for you].

You should PM suman from team-bhp,who incidently is from delhi region who has just added a safari to his stable.

Ps: Do speak to a few tata dealers regarding the 2.2l engine,they should also give you some idea if it is expected soon.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 24th October 2006 at 11:20.
Old 24th October 2006, 12:05   #5
BHPian

Thanks for the feedback Rahul. Your inputs are really helpful. yes, I have reviewed Suman's thread on the new VX 4x4 that has just been added to the family.

I spoke to the two dealers in Noida region and both of them had a consistent messaging and that is.

" Sir, the new 2.2 L engine is going to be available, we are not sure when, it could be two months or it could be an year or so" What I like was that both the dealers are independent of each other but had the same messaging which means the company has provided these inputs to them.

I test drove the existing DICOR and am pretty satisfied by the engine. I do plan to keep the Safari for a looooooong time if I buy it and hence don't want to buy something and find out that within a month there is an upgrade available.

Thanks for your inputs.

-Sumit
Old 24th October 2006, 12:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitsingh
and hence don't want to buy something and find out that within a month there is an upgrade available.
Sumit, based on what my dealer had told me and what I've been reading of late, I don't see the 2.2 coming till at least the third quarter of next year. I would think you can go ahead and get the current one. There will always be new models coming, question is, how long would you like to keep postponing your purchase plans?
Old 24th October 2006, 12:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

The 2.2 litre Dicor is under development. Developed enough to have been running around for the last 8-10 months at least, and developed enough to have been given to some dealers for a preview 2-3 months back.

However, sources in Tata Motors refuse to say when this new engine will be released, or whether it is meant for release with the new X-over platform. Its quite possible that this new engine is under a very long testing cycle because its meant for the new platform, in which case it could see the light of day in 2008.

However, they will also not comment on whether this new engine will be released with the current body earlier than that - perhaps by the end of the year or Q1 2007. Dealers have seen and driven the current Safari with the 2.2 litre engine, though - those that have driven it claim fantastic refinement levels coupled with some VERY serious power. To the effect that you DONT KNOW that its a diesel engine under the hood when its idling and DONT FEEL thats its a diesel when its on the move.
Old 24th October 2006, 14:44   #8

Thanks a lot for the information provided. I think I will have to wait for a couple of months to drive the new 2.2L engine Safari.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks