Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2017, 18:08   #1

Car for the disabled?

Hi,

I have been driving a Honda City AT for five years now (yes!! I paid last installment yesterday).

I want to upgrade now to an SUV which has enough boot-space to hold a foldable electronic wheelchair.

Also, I need advice if someone has used a ramp to mount and unmount the wheelchair in the car (it weighs 26 KG without batteries). Budget will be max upto 30L.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by GTO : 5th September 2017 at 10:25. Reason: Spacing
Old 5th September 2017, 10:36   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car for the disabled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachinb_34 View Post
I have been driving a Honda City AT for five years now (yes!! I paid last installment yesterday).
A lot of BHPians (myself included) are big fans of an EMI-free life and hold onto cars for a longer time. Would suggest keeping your City for a couple of years more. Related Thread.

Quote:
I want to upgrade now to an SUV which has enough boot-space to hold a foldable electronic wheelchair.
I guess a monocoque SUV will be preferred by you as ingress & egress will be easier than in a body-on-frame, and the floor level will be lower too.

The Creta, Tucson & Tiguan will be perfect. And all 3 are effortless to drive in the city. You might also want to wait for the next-gen Honda CR-V which will arrive in a year or so. Somehow, Honda is a master in the way it packages interiors (space + boot).

While you test-drive all these cars, here are some related threads which you must read through:

Car buying for the physically challenged

Drivers with disabilities

Special needs cars

Quote:
Also, I need advice if someone has used a ramp to mount and unmount the wheelchair in the car (it weighs 26 KG without batteries).
Related Thread

Call Ferdi on 9820120556. He is a master of making cars more accessible & user-friendly for the disabled:

Last edited by GTO : 5th September 2017 at 10:38.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 09:46   #3

Thanks a ton GTO. I will stick to this advice. I love honda so CRV will be worth a wait.
Old 15th September 2017, 15:52   #4
BHPian

Hi ,

Information that you may be useful for you http://ezymov.com/ They provide wheel chair taxis in Mumbai. Also provide vehicle modification service for disabled.
Old 13th January 2020, 15:17   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachinb_34 View Post
Spotted one such vehicle yesterday. Would say the Lodgy is the perfect choice. Excellent ride quality and comparatively lower floor (as it's a monocoque):
Car for the disabled?-annotation-20200113-151631.jpg
Old 13th January 2020, 15:34   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

You have a healthy budget (INR 30L), i'd say you should wait for the Kia Carnival. As the way its proportioned it would be ideal for accepting wheelchair movements, plus it wont be much tall, so a ramp mounting usage wont be much of an issue too.
Also i believe it has electric auto sliding/closing doors so thats a added bonus.
All the best

Last edited by karan561 : 13th January 2020 at 15:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks