Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2007, 14:36   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Help me choose a car for my brother

Hi there,

Let me get to the point. My brother has 2 little daughters and lots of nappies and tricycles and wants a new car. His wife likes big cars and is quite taken in by the station wagon concept.

She was originally considering the Fiat Adventure sport something and the Skoda Octavia Combi. Both are out for various reasons.

Mind you, they have a Safari (5 years old) that they wanna get rid off.

Not knowing what to do and wanting a big car, somehow we narrowed down on the toyota innova. DSK Toyota (pune) sent over an Innova to test-drive and they both liked it. Just a bit annoyed as it looks like a tourist taxi. But anyways, they are veering towards a purchase now.

My questions:

1) Innova - right choice? Any other suggestions, if you had 150 pampers, a football, frisbee, tricycle, driver, a wife who wished she had a big big big car and asked the salesperson the price of a prado while getting into the innova for the test drive and 2 daughters, aged 2.5 and 0.5 yrs?

2) Daily average running - 20 kms. Drives to Mumbai from pune - 10-12 times a year.

Should we buy a Petrol Innova? We have been told that the petrol innova is a flop & resale is bad. Please note that the petrol innova is exactly 70,000/- cheaper on road.

Deeply obliged in advance for the period of almost forever for your kind replies.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 16th January 2007 at 14:38.
Old 16th January 2007, 14:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Man, safari is the giant of all cars in india. how much bigger can it get ? get another safari, this time dicor.

You need space at the back for pampers & pamperers ? LOL

innova diesel makes more sense conidering that it is only 70k higher. toyota diesels are know for their reliability & performance. what is the budget ?
Old 16th January 2007, 14:48   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1) Innova - right choice?
Spot on! Nothing beats the Innova for the utility it offers. Its also very refined, has great interiors and is like a car to drive.

I would recommend the diesel for reasons more than one.
Old 16th January 2007, 14:49   #4
Team-BHP Support

Sam, any budget in mind? Would the new CR-V be a feasible option. It's a good car which for a family. lots of space. Only no 3rd row of seats.
Since you said you bros wife asked the prado price.

Also Ford is coming soon with an updated version of the Endeavour. More power fresh interiors. You could wait for that.

These are just some other options to consider. Else the Innova is actually the best buy. Better to get the V spec diesel. Since you dont need max seating get the one with the rear captains seat. kids will have a fun time in that version. I know I do.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 16th January 2007 at 14:51.
Old 16th January 2007, 14:52   #5
Team-BHP Support

Stick to Innova. Safe choice wether petrol or diesel, though diesel will give better resale and the 1 trip/month to pune(800kms return?) will save around 1500rs for you each time.
Old 16th January 2007, 14:55   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Hi there,

Let me get to the point. My brother has 2 little daughters and lots of nappies and tricycles and wants a new car. His wife likes big cars and is quite taken in by the station wagon concept.......................

1) Innova - right choice? Any other suggestions, if you had 150 pampers, a football, frisbee, tricycle, driver, a wife who wished she had a big big big car and asked the salesperson the price of a prado .

God...there is another Yeti with descendants with detrimental greenhouse effects

You can't go too wrong with an Innova. Petrol Innova can be got with a bigget discount. If the Yeti2 family plan to keep the car for a long time and do less than 3000 km / month- worth looking at.

else...Scaarpio but change it every 3 years
Old 16th January 2007, 14:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

The Innova fits your bill perfectly. Its very car like to drive, very reliable its a jap of course and go for the v spec model - that certainly doesnt look like a tourist taxis. For your luggage you could also fit a carrier from Thule which looks good on the Innova. And its a Toyota.

The only other option was the Tavera which is pretty crude unlike the refined Toyota. And the Tavera is what the tourist taxi market is all about now really.

Good choice and congratulations to you brother
Old 16th January 2007, 15:04   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post

These are just some other options to consider. Else the Innova is actually the best buy. Better to get the V spec diesel. Since you dont need max seating get the one with the rear captains seat. kids will have a fun time in that version. I know I do.
It looks like the diesel innova then.
Can you explain to me what that is? highlighted?
Old 16th January 2007, 15:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

what he means is that the middle row will not have a single bench seat but individual seats with arm rests
Old 16th January 2007, 15:13   #10
Team-BHP Support

Yup 2 bucket seats in the middle row as well.

The 8 seater seating I didn't like too much found it a touch uncomfy.
Old 16th January 2007, 15:17   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

We have decided to buy a Diesel Innova. Have decided NOT to get the bucket seats in the rear, as nappy changing for the 0.5 spec child will occur frequently.

Thank you Team-BHP!!

P.S> This stands as record time in the finding of a solution in the What Car Section.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks