Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2019, 17:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata: Hexa or Harrier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankjain16 View Post
Okay, I am in a bit of a dilemma here. I took a test drive of both Hexa and Harrier today. And, I am a bit confused what should I opt for.

First of all, the biggest deciding factor is 4x4. Hexa offers one, but Harrier doesn't.

I am not a hardcore offroader. But, I like travelling and definitely want to try out some offroading like:
  1. Driving in the dunes in Jaisalmer
  2. Winter drive in Spiti valley
  3. Going to a bit off-road spots for camping
None of these vehicles is suitable for a winter drive to Spiti. However, were you to do it in summers, both should be able to do it without too much trouble.

The Storme 4X4 is the real SUV from the Tata Family. I have had it for over 3 and a half years and love every moment of it.. As a matter of fact I am leaving for a Snow Drive o Spiti on Feb 19 ( snow chains and stuff).

Last edited by Aditya : 4th February 2019 at 17:58. Reason: Quote tag fixed
rajneeesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 17:48   #17
BHPian

Harrier is the way to go. The product is new and has a road presence. As many quoted your off road needs may hardly be 10% of your overall usage.
Jeep Compass or a Isuzu mu-X will be fantastic option for your needs and both have a great reviews in our very forum.
Old 5th February 2019, 11:33   #18
BHPian

Thanks, BHPians for such valuable comments and helping me out in my decision. It does make sense to go for a new modern car and hire a capable 4x4 for rare off-road excursions.

Harrier is a new car and ideally, I should wait for it to see how it turns out. But, I have been following this car for quite too long and cannot wait for it anymore. Plus, after recent successful launches, I can trust Tata with quality and safety.

I would take another round of test drive and then make a final decision. But, most probably it would be Harrier (I am thinking of white one!)
shashankjain16 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 07:19   #19
BHPian

Well, it all depends on your need of and AWD system and family size That seems to be the general consensus.
Here’s how they stack up:
+Compact size for the city: Harrier. The Hexa is not easy to drive in the city owing to the gear shifts (manual) and heavy steering at low speeds.
+Automatic transmission: Hexa. The Harrier automatic is coming out soon though.
+AWD: Hexa. No choice here.
However, they both might have similar off road performance as the Harrier has other electronic aids and a terrain management system. Not to forget the Land Rover platform. Other experts may comment.
+Interior quality: Harrier has (arguably) better interiors than the Hexa.
artemis_fowl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 13:06   #20
BHPian

Well, as it turns out, I have cancelled the booking of Harrier and not going with Hexa either. Got the booking amount refunded last week.

As I said above, I mainly needed a vehicle for long and comfortable drives and some off-roading capability. I wasn't really looking for a luxury vehicle or some vehicle to make head turns and to boast about (maybe in the beginning I was, but then I bought some sense to myself).

If I go with 4x4 then Duster fits better to my needs than above two choices. Yeah, its old model and feels outdated, but I am okay with it. I would probably save around 6 lakhs - and I would rather invest that money for my YouTube channel (GoPro, Drone, etc) and some accessories for Duster. Would also save on maintenance, fuel and insurance. Safari Storme is also a good choice but then, it's huge and heavy and will have to spend more than Duster but would not do that kind of hard-core offroading.

If I do not go with 4x4 then I can be content with a lower segment like Nexon, Xuv 300, etc.

I had test driven Duster in Jaipur a few days ago. Look wise it didn't look bad to me at all - neither from outside or inside. In orange colour, it looked stunning to me still. Drive was excellent, it had a functional arm-rest, AC was good enough (given that it was parked under Rajasthan's sun before we took it for the test drive), and music system was good enough.

It might be expensive for what it offers right now, but then there is no other vehicle that fits that perfectly to my needs. Better to buy the vehicle I would love to drive and give up on some features I would miss rarely.

Thanks for all the help and wonderful insights given here. I would not have made this decision without your help.
shashankjain16 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 15:00   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Well, as it turns out, I have cancelled the booking of Harrier and not going with Hexa either.
Ohh that's too bad you cancelled your booking.

I own a 2014 Tata Aria 4x4 (AWD) and can assure you that the vehicle is extremely capable to traverse through variety of terrains. The vehicle is powerful super comfortable and ample ground clearance.

We travel extensively with family across the length and breadth of India and the Aria has made life very easy and adventurous for us.
The drive is very comfortable and this is a very important aspect as you reach the destination without any stress.

The places we have traveled so far (45000 kms only on account of the below trips)

Pune - Lonavala - Pune (Rajmachi Fort and surrounding) Rough terrain with ghats
Pune - Bengaluru - Salem - Pune (NH4 all good highways)
Pune - Goa - Pune (Ghats)
Pune - Nainital - Chaukori - Pune (Himalayas, rough terrain at parts)
Pune - Panna (MP) - Pune (Jungle Off-roading with slush, gravel, mud, rocks, ghats, etc.)
Pune - Ranthambore - Pune (good highways)
Pune - Agra - Panna - Pune (good to bad highways)
Pune - Patna - Pune (good to bad highways)

Believe me, the money is worth it and the Hexa is an even more improved Aria. Its not about the 5% or 10% travel, even if you need it once and if you have a capable enough vehicle to pull you through it - it is worth it.

And a surplus is the humongous cargo carrying capacity that you get. Even we hardly use the last row - maybe only within the city, but when traveling on our super long trips the space comes in very handy.

I hope this helps and makes you reconsider your decision.

Cheers
Trojan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 16:22   #22
Team-BHP Support

If you need 4x4 capability, Harrier is not the one. Even Hexa will struggle compared to proper 4WD vehicles. If you want to stick to Tata, why not Safari? It will be comfortable and capable. The interiors are not modern though, but that can be taken care of by after market accessories. If I were in your place, my preference would be as following from the Tata stable -

1. Safari Storme 4x4
2. Hexa AWD
3. Harrier

If I were looking at other companies, I would have a look at Duster AWD and Compass as well before finalising.

Videos of Storme 4x4, Hexa AWD and Duster AWD in a bit of slush. Note that Hexa had HT tyres while Storme and Duster had AT tyres -

BlackPearl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 22:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hhad test driven Duster in Jaipur a few days ago.
Why not the Jeep Compass 4x4? Budget?
Old 31st March 2019, 10:16   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
If I were in your place, my preference would be as following from the Tata stable -

1. Safari Storme 4x4
2. Hexa AWD
3. Harrier
I did consider all those options. Hexa is a heavy vehicle plus price is around 20 lakhs. As pointed out, I did not see much advantage for us spending more. I know its modern and has more features. But, I did not want them really that much. Also, the gearbox was really notchy and I felt it would cause fatigue easily. Similar for safari storm (not gearbox, did not test drive it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Why not the Jeep Compass 4x4? Budget?
Jeep Compass I rejected because of budget, low ground clearance and lack of cruise control.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 31st March 2019 at 11:53. Reason: clearence -> clearance. heavy and vehicle -> heavy vehicle
Old 19th April 2019, 18:03   #25

My first post on Team-BHP ... I am excited

Recently I visited a TaMo dealership in Delhi and checked out both the vehicles - Tata Harrier and updated Tata Hexa 2019.

My 2 cents:

- Tata Harrier looked more stylish with latest design and platform shared with JLR, it being the latest offering by the Indian manufacturer.

- Tata Harrier has smart looking DRL's, more premium looking interiors, better infotainment system as compared to Hexa, shark fin antenna, HID display on instrument cluster, start stop button.

- Tata Hexa scores more on practicality, with functional DRLs, decent interiors, more storage spaces, ability to carry more passengers, better rear view camera, AC vents for all seats, Demister on ORVM's, 4×4 capability, Automatic variant, lumbar support on both front seats, cruise control, larger and better looking alloys.

I couldn't take a test drive as both the vehicles were out, so can't comment on the driving dynamics.

PS: I have tried to list only features which are present in one and absent in the other.
Old 22nd April 2019, 10:43   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by reach_gm View Post
My first post on Team-BHP ... I am excited

My 2 cents:

- Tata Harrier looked more stylish with latest design and platform shared with JLR, it being the latest offering by the Indian manufacturer.

- Tata Hexa scores more on practicality, with functional DRLs, decent interiors, more storage spaces, ability to carry more passengers, better rear view camera, AC vents for all seats, Demister on ORVM's, 4×4 capability, Automatic variant, lumbar support on both front seats, cruise control, larger and better looking alloys.
Welcome aboard and Bang On..!!!

For someone who needs a manual 5 seater suave looking vehicle, the Harrier fits the bill, however, if 7 seats/luggage space, AT &/or AWD is a need, the Hexa it is, as long as the owner can live with its MPV looks.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 10:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

WoW! Who would have thought 4 years back that we would have a What Car thread with even one of the potential candidates being a Tata car. This one has 2 out of 2.

That said, I test drove the Hexa Auto and it was better than my City CVT due to the diesel toeque I guess of that huge engine. The ride quality was amazing as expected after reading the review. Harrier, I love the looks though.
Old 22nd April 2019, 10:50   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

The Hexa is looking VFM. The only constraints I see is the larger size when it comes to parking. And a little lower FE. For long journeys - 5 with full luggage, same as Harrier

Harrier - the newer one. Great for 5. Stylish, new design, new build. Better FE between the two.

Can be a little confusing.
Old 22nd April 2019, 11:21   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Hexa has only one variant worth buying - Automatic top variant, the drive experience is incredible and the autobox works well with the engine, they sure have worked magic in there.

You can certainly do some off-road driving with Hexa even in 2 wheel drive, as with any off-road vehicle you do not venture out alone, ever.

Harrier? It's certainly not a range Rover, the lack of 2 seats makes it a lot less value for money.
Old 10th September 2019, 08:20   #30
BHPian

I am in the market for an SUV and here is my view of these products and others in the same price range. Hexa and Harrier are ahead of the competition and between these two, Hexa is a better bet. Here is my view on what works and what's doesn't

1. Compass:
What works
awesome looks, solid build, feels truly premium esp the limited plus variant, feels robust while driving, probably the best for driving among the lot. Had the best dealer experience among all that I visited
What doesn't
expensive given the competition, Low GC - not the best for Indian setting and hills, relatively cramped rear seat, Jeep's below par initial build quality, sparse service network and risk of Jeep shutting down/getting acquired

2. Xuv500
What works
Most complete package with all combinations of Auto and AWD available, perfect size for occasional 7 seater usage, easy to drive in city
What doesn't (I just sold my 2013 xuv)
Horrible ride (compared to competition), dated 10 year old design (was on drawing board in 2009, I assume), interior design feels dated, hugely overpriced for what it offers on a 9 year old platform, iffy electronics, limited AWD capability as a monocoque, handles just about alright on highway and high speeds

3. Harrier:
What works
Looks looks and more looks, comfortable and spacious interiors, excellent robust platform (single reason for it to be picked ahead of cars like Seltos that are just raised hatches), features (barring the Chinese and new Korean), attractive pricing
What doesn't
Teething issues (should be ironed out), looks a touch overpriced all of a sudden, engine could have the 170 tune from the word go, missing AWD and auto (poor product planning, again)

4. Hexa:
What works
Fantastic build, quality parts inside out, space and more space, tough robust proven platform, tough and proven engine, awesome seat comfort, brilliant ride, awesome sound system, classy interiors, brilliant automatic
What doesn't
Frequent price increase by Tata on a (now) flop product, omitted safety kit and drive modes on automatic, blunted performance on the manual, slightly heavy gearbox and steering (not so much when compared to other heavy rwd Vans and trucks), side airbags don't extend to the 3rd row

Written in a rush. Will add more details.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks