Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2007, 11:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Serious 4WD

Let me try to List you Geographical requirements.
1) Mountainous Roads
2) High -Altitudes

For Both the above requirements a ECM type Diesel or Petrol Engine is recommended.

Petrol - Gypsy King 1.3L 82Bhp & 10Kgm@3300
Diesel - Bolero (DI-Turbo/ MDI3200TC) 2.6L 68Bhp & 18Kgm

The Bolero is very rugged and the new MDI3200TC is considerably torquey
MPFI Gypsy King (10Kgm) MDI3200TC (18KGM).

I have used all variants of the Gypsy and every possible Mahindra JEEP Off-Road.

The Gypsy is a very peppy and agile 4WD more suited for jungle tracks and that kind, but lacks the built and power for the very rough stuff.

However for High-Altitude the is no substitute for a MPFI petrol Engine.

Regards,

Arka
Old 28th February 2007, 11:18   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapli View Post
I believe Gypsy is too old to get spare parts and even knowledged mechanic these days. I would put money on running models.

How about

1. Trax
2. Bolero

Chanapli i always thought getting a maruthi vehicle repaired/serviced was the most easy thing to do. Bolero is gud but but i have heard the bolero 4WD's havn't proved themselves much during OTR's...Trax is gud but its more of a jeep + servicing ?? don't know how easy its gonna be....
Old 28th February 2007, 11:37   #18
Team-BHP Support

If you can compromise on comfort then there is nothing to beat a gypsy or a trax gurkha.
The gypsy is more fixable too "anywhere".
If you want comfort then go for a safari LX 4x4.
Safari will cost you 8L on road(Delhi).
4WD and high ground clearance will ensure you don't get stuck in mere two feet of water.
Steeroid can tell you more about off road antics.
As for me, the only vehicle in which I have done "serious offroading" is the gypsy. Drove for 1km in a river with 1feet of fast flowing water, and loose rocks on the bottom.

But one caveat in gypsy. When the clutch plate went kaput, we had to wait for 1 month to get it. So part availability is not good, the reason being low sales.

So I suggest drive both the gypsy and Safari and see what you like. For your equipment needs safari has lots of room.
OT: Which camera do you use, can we see your gallery.

PS: I did not recommend the Gurkha because I am not aware of the availability of the much touted "go anywhere" model in the NCR reason, and I don't think its a "repair anywhere" vehicle if it has a Mercedes engine.
Old 28th February 2007, 11:46   #19

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
From what I've read here, the Gurkha seems be THE real off-roader. I am not an enthusiast, and just need to be able to get in and out of places that a "normal" vehicle would have trouble getting to. As suggested by most on other threads, the Gurkha & Judo are difficult to get. If easily available, I dont mind spending some cash on fixing the interior up a bit to make it more "comfortable". I dont care about the exterior much. In fact, I prefer people dont turn around at look at my car.
Also guys, please dont discriminate against me just because I spent some time away from the motherland.
I would love to have a Forester. I have driven the Outback and like the Subarus generally. Although, I am not sure it will cross the Maling Nallah in Himachal easily. Also, it is a little over my budget.
I have yet to explore the Mahindras in detail. Two of my friends in India recently got the Scorpio 4x4. One got it for exactly the same purpose as myself. Both are not satisfied with their purchase. Imagine the transmission malfunction light blinking when trying to cross a 3 feet deep stream! Also, I've been told that the exterior build quality leaves much to be desired. I dont know much about the Bolero, but from Arka's description it seems like a great vehicle for my needs.
I used a Tata Safari 4x4 for a month in 2005. I liked the ride quality but did not take it off road a lot.
I know the Gypsy is not a comfortable ride, but it seems like I wont have much of a choice. Or I could place an order for a Gurkha and get a used Maruti 800 in the meantime. And then spend some time upgrading it interior-wise to my needs.

Keep the great suggestions coming guys. I am not a car nut (pun unintended) and need all the help I can get.

OT: (To tsk1979) I have some pictures on my website - satie.co.in. Links to galleries are on the left.

Last edited by satie : 28th February 2007 at 11:58.
Old 28th February 2007, 11:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satie View Post
If anyone here has good experience travelling to remote areas frequently on not-so hospitable terrain, please make your recommendations. Personal experience with a vehicle counts more than technical specs to me.
Thanks.
I do not intend to undermine anybody, but i think khaadu75 is the person who lives in such a terrain, i think he can help you out in this.

Quote:
I am looking for a car in the Rs. 5-8 lacs range. I need functionality and not looks. Something that can easily be fixed, if need be, anywhere in the country. I would probably drive an average of 2500km a month mostly on state and national highways, and in the forest (I am a semi-professional wildlife photographer). Ideally, I would like to be able to commute comfortably to work (in NOIDA) in it, but that is not an absolute requirement. I will be the only person driving it. And as I will be driving it for long distances/hours, driver comfort is important. I dont need a lot of room inside. I will mostly have a big bag/case of camera equipment, a couple of sleeping bags, a tent, supplies, etc. And one passenger most of the times. If the vehicle meets all my needs, I plan to keep it for a long time unless a better alternative comes out. Resale value, although important, is not as important as the other things I mentioned.
One suggestion from my side, if you dont mind a used vehicle, you can consider a tata sierra, may be the one from the last year of its production, which could be relatively new. If not you can consider a restoration job of a sierra, if you have the patience

My dear fellow bhpians what you guys say in this regard?

Quote:
OT: (To tsk1979) I have some pictures on my website - satie.co.in. Links to galleries are on the left.
wow!!, excellent pics.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 28th February 2007 at 12:04.
Old 28th February 2007, 12:06   #21
BHPian

@ KKr2k2 a sierra pls no way it can be used for off roads. ....I once got stuck over a pile of sand ( used for construction and which had been dumped on the road )in the city and had to push the sierra out of it also i could smell the clutch burn every time i reved the sierra.....
Old 28th February 2007, 12:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

The Sierra would not be of real use. Its a 2 wheel drive. Tata made the 4x4 Sierra towards the end of its life but it did not really sell.

The Bolero seems the best choice here
Old 28th February 2007, 13:26   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Your requirements demand 4x4 capability, and I would highly recommend the Gurkha as the first choice. 2nd would be the Gypsy. You have a monthly running of 2500 km and the Gurkha will not break your back like the Gypsy will.

If you are willing to consider used cars, there are plentiful body-on-chassis Pajeros and Land Cruisers available.

Last edited by GTO : 28th February 2007 at 13:48.
Old 28th February 2007, 13:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

How about this[if you dont mind a pick up]:

Tata motors TL 4X4 ,think it is priced between Rs 5.80 lakh to Rs 7.90 lakh.

Otherwise its the gurkha or the gypsy,and yes even have a look in the seconds market For an LC or a pajero.

As recommended by desert fox,the sumo 4X4 is also a pretty good option.

Tata Motors 4x4 - TL - Features

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 28th February 2007 at 13:50.
Old 28th February 2007, 13:44   #25
BHPian

Also look at Tata sumo 4x4,it is primarily built for defence purpose and has a small wait period.

I have seen some sumo's from hospet,Bellary clock 2 lakh kms in mining area's,they have withstood the abuse pretty well. The dealers themselves sort of put you off when you enquire for one!

Kindly note-it has a different suspension,braking and some engine mounting configuration and a LSD(same as the Safari) and is about 300+kgs lighter.

Merely a suggestion!
Old 28th February 2007, 14:22   #26
Team-BHP Support

@desert_fox, when Tata comes with the 140bhp safari, which will have a lighter engine, won't the torque be sufficient for serious off road use.
I guess if he can wait that is the best option as LX 4x4 will be less than 9L on road delhi
Old 28th February 2007, 14:23   #27
BANNED

Quote:
I used a Tata Safari 4x4 for a month in 2005. I liked the ride quality but did not take it off road a lot.
I suggest you take a test ride of a 4x4 Safari and take it off-road some more. It will not outperform a Gurkha or a Gypsy but will give you the ultimate in ride quality and comfort. Give the LX 4x4 a shot.
Old 28th February 2007, 16:39   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
@desert_fox, when Tata comes with the 140bhp safari, which will have a lighter engine, won't the torque be sufficient for serious off road use.
I guess if he can wait that is the best option as LX 4x4 will be less than 9L on road delhi
Hell yes! If 92 hp is good,140 is the best! Seriously serious off roading is possible.

LX 4x4 is a good option.Add a electric winch,Geolanders/ATX..Why not.
Old 3rd March 2007, 16:22   #29
BHPian

Gypsy all the way.
I am plant photographer and often visit forest n rainy seasons in sahyadris it cant get worse than that and only the gypsy bails u out.
again the quiet engine of gypsy ensures u get good shots.
having hydraulic clutch it is more restraint against wear and tear at high speeds. and its easy to fix a gypsy,
i would also recomend if u get hold of mg410 as its spraes are easily available nad since u go in forest the 100cc wont affect u much.
Gypsy king is cool but spares are hard and expensive

air filter hose mg410 == 180rs and king 750rs

i would prefere mg410 for u
u can put on 190/65 radials so that u can get good ride and also add extra shocks. in it. get maruti zen seats as they are higher and will give u more cushions.
Old 3rd March 2007, 21:06   #30

Many thanks for the advice everyone. I am going to test drive the Tata TL 4x4, and see if I can get my hands on Gurkha or Judo too.
Lodhra, thanks for the info on the Gypsy. It is the only vehicle I have had any significant experience with in the past, and I like it for what it can do. OT: I plan to visit the Sahayadris in the winters.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks