Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2020, 13:44   #31
BHPian

Re: One Do-It-All SUV to replace Honda City & VW Polo

I think you should seriously consider the Kicks CVT. It's almost of same size as Tucson, has a very good petrol engine and comes with the legendary ride quality of Duster. And you can get one without adding much to the value of your current cars. The only thing going against it is Nissan's poor reputation in India.
Aakash118 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 14:07   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Hi, I got to TD the car at Kothari Hyundai, Aundh.

Buddy, you should try the seltos DCT again. Come over and drive mine if you want to. I have the Michelins P4ST on mine and you'd get a real feel of the Seltos DCT on Michelins, not the crappy Good Years.

Tucson, I know the owner of Garve, personally, I can check with him if he has one with an offer that we can't refuse.
gautamkhadse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 14:28   #33
BHPian

I suggest you take test drive of Tiguan AllSpace. You will love it !
Old 2nd September 2020, 15:41   #34
BHPian

What is the exact reason for buying a new car again?
There is nothing great within the Rs 30 lakh bracket today. Most of the 18/25 lakh offerings are overpriced hatchbacks jumping to be called an SUV. If you really want a new car, plonk in 10/11 lakh on a Nexon Xta or a Nexon electric and invest the rest of your money.
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 17:22   #35
BHPian

Well there are many opinions in this thread but like GTO and many others said, I think it's best to keep hold of your cars as they are relatively new and having owned and driven both, I can say they are one of the best in their segments. Also highway drive has become rare in this time of pandemic and resale values are an all time low due to low demand and negative sentiment. So your cars will depriciate a lot if you sell them now.

But from your posts it looks like you have already decided to replace them now and for that I suggest don't go for Seltos. Buying a Seltos replacing City is neither an upgrade nor a wise choice as you won't get much other than a little higher seating and more gadgets. Since you have a good budget, get the Tucson or Compass. You yourself have experienced the Tucson and it's a car that is segment above Seltos. Go for that if it's in your budget or else save some more and go for Endeavour. The new 168hp engine is not the most powerful out there but has an excellent 10 speed auto. Your highway drives will be addictive to both you and your parents. But its dimension might be a problem for city runs. Here I suggest you keep either Polo or City and replace the other with Endy. You'll get best of both worlds.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 19:31   #36
BHPian

Can very well understand what you are going through currently. Deciding on a compact SUV within 30L budget is so confusing ! So many options are out there.
Like many pointed out here, selling both cars will result in some serious depreciation. If you are ok with that and is ready to take the plunge then here are few of my pointers.

1. Seltos DCT - VFM Option - Really good FUN to drive car. It is a great VFM buy too considering the amount of creature comforts and features it offers. The reason why I gave this car a skip was because of the fact that the dealer in my city was very unprofessional.

2. Hyundai Tucson- All rounder - Havent driven the new Tucson, but from what owners say, it is a very comfortable and spacious car. But heard that the car isn't too fun to drive.

3. Volkswagen T-Roc - The FUN machine - A perfect upgrade from the GT TSi. The car is super fun to drive ! Build quality is superb. Only concern many say is the lack of space at the rear. Since this is your only car and you might drive with your family, the lack of space might be a concern in your case.

4. Skoda Karoq-Expensive but does everything so well- It might be a budget stretch, but is definitely a great package. The car has the same 1.5 TSi with DSG gearbox as the T-Roc which is a very peppy engine. The interiors are super luxurious and has tons of space for all. A no nonsense car if you plan to keep it for many years.

Since you have driven the first two cars, I would recommend that you test drive the T-Roc and Karoq too and then take a decision.

Last edited by Mr.Perera : 2nd September 2020 at 19:34.
Mr.Perera is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 19:39   #37
BHPian

If you feel like it's okay to sell two of your good cars and spend around 25L in this situation, I would suggest you to go for HARRIER.

I say this because one of the main concern for you is the backseat comfort and ride quality. Compass and the Creta twins might offer acceptable ride quality but I am sure it is not as roomy as a Harrier. And it is not necessary to go for the highest variant and spend 25L, but it's worth too. And For Tucosn I would suggest you the pre-owned route anyways.
kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 20:49   #38
BHPian

Quote:
My budget is about 25-27L. The currently shortlisted cars in the increasing order of price are:
  • Seltos DCT
  • Seltos 1.5 Diesel AT
  • Harrier AT
  • Tucson Petrol
With your requirements of consolidating the garage in a way that you can provide a comfortable experience for your parents (ride quality & ingress/egress) plus a fun factor when driven enthusiastically, I'd put my bet on the Skoda Karoq.

The Tuscon petrol's 2.0 NA petrol cannot hold a candle to the Karoq's 1.5 TSI performance.
Keeping performance aside, even it's ride quality is better than the Tuscon at higher speeds. The Tuscon has a tendency to pitch and bob at higher speeds over undulations which would be really uncomfortable for rear seat passengers.

Seltos is a really good package for the city. For the highway, it has it's limitations.
Personally, Harrier's braking ability left a lot to be desired - but the AT gearbox was brilliant. However, ingress/egress in the Harrier maybe troublesome for your parents since it's more of a climb than step-in.

Would request you to take back to back test drives for atleast 10+ KMs with your entire family before taking the final call.

Last edited by nerd1200 : 3rd September 2020 at 20:52.
nerd1200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 21:04   #39
Senior - BHPian

Have you test driven Jeep Compass? If not please do. It ticks all the boxes you are looking for.
Limited plus 4*2 Diesel : Within the budget
Has all the bells & Whistles : Panoramic sunroof, power adjustable driver seat etc.
It has the best highway manners among all the cars that you've driven: Seltos/Harrier/Tucson etc.
Check if your parents are comfortable with Ingress/Egress.
Small footprint would also satisfy your city chores.
Ramsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 23:31   #40
BHPian

Here are my thoughts.

Why not the CR-V?

Guess its not very popular on the forum here, but it looks majestic, with the 9 speed AT you can easily use it in the city and on the highways as well. Will help you forget the atrocity that the Baner road as become.

You already own the Honda City in Pune, so you'd be conscious of what you are getting into, service quality, ergonomics, better engineering last but not the least 'peace of mind'.

Brother, from my dealing with the Crystal Honda guys, you can hit a jackpot, get a sweet price for the exchange of the City and they have phenomenal discounts.

All the best, I hope you find what you are looking for.
Ritzvxi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 08:26   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPians,

But later as we realised from our multiple long distance trips, they felt distinctly uncomfortable with the backseat experience, especially the slightly bouncy suspension and the slightly skittish feel on the wheels at speed.
Hey there,

Talk about coincidence, a close bud of mine who also owns a 2018 City V MT was complaining about the EXACT same issue just couple of days back and was telling how disappointing it feels now. His mom ends up feeling completely nauseous after just couple of hours in back seat at higher sustained speeds on our less than perfect KL roads. It has done only 25k kms and maintaining manufacturer recommended tyre pressures diligently. May be its the stock tyres playing spoilsport and a shift to comfy Michelins might help which I have asked him to think about. Or in the worst case, a detailed check on all the struts may be needed.

Cheers.
aswin ajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 13:34   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Buddy, you should try the seltos DCT again. Come over and drive mine if you want to. I have the Michelins P4ST on mine and you'd get a real feel of the Seltos DCT on Michelins, not the crappy Good Years.

Tucson, I know the owner of Garve, personally, I can check with him if he has one with an offer that we can't refuse.
Dear Gautam,

Can you share some information on the mileage with DCT, like in city and on highways?

Have been confused on which option to go for considering the 10 years life of a Diesel engine in Delhi.
Old 4th September 2020, 13:53   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzvxi View Post
Here are my thoughts.

Why not the CR-V?

Guess its not very popular on the forum here, but it looks majestic, with the 9 speed AT you can easily use it in the city and on the highways as well. Will help you forget the atrocity that the Baner road as become.

You already own the Honda City in Pune, so you'd be conscious of what you are getting into, service quality, ergonomics, better engineering last but not the least 'peace of mind'.

Brother, from my dealing with the Crystal Honda guys, you can hit a jackpot, get a sweet price for the exchange of the City and they have phenomenal discounts.

All the best, I hope you find what you are looking for.
Well, the CRV is quite pricey. If I could go for CRV, I might as well look at the more capable Tucson AWD. I am keen on understanding the Tucson 2.0 petrol version though. I am not big on outright acceleration ,0-100 timings, as long as it is able to overtake slow moving traffic while loaded with 4 pax and luggage or able to climb the ghats without huffing and puffing, I am ok. It needs to be a decent highway cruiser in the 80-120 kph regime without causing bumps and jolts over undulations or bad surfaces. In that sense, my Polo is good because of its short wheel base, it rides over undulations like a roller coaster ! I dont have a big issue, but my wife hates it.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 4th September 2020 at 13:58.
Old 5th September 2020, 15:52   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all for your inputs and wise counsel. Like I said, buying the City was probably not a well-anticipated call. It has its obvious merits in terms of space, refinement , but we seem to have some genuine ingress-egress issues especially in the rear, to add to the ride discomfort on long trips. Before my parents get too old to enjoy road trips, I would do something about it. In my many years of owning cars, there has never been a situation where my parents were as/more keen on doing something about buying the car than I have.So to balance out all interests, this quest is being contemplated. I will keep you all updated on the next steps.
I have previously suggested you to go for Harrier XZA Plus but i would also like to suggest you to go for Nexon diesel AMT top variants as it is also a very good car for senior citizens because of ride quality, ease of ingress/egress, decent cabin space and excellent noise insulation. I have done the same, while I drive the full size SUVs and fast sedans, my parents use Nexon Diesel XZA Plus AMT and they are extremely satisfied with the car both in city and during outstation trips. If you choose Nexon, you can even retain one of your current cars.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 5th September 2020 at 15:53.
46TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 17:56   #45

I would suggest to test drive the Skoda Karoq.

Though the initial cost of acquisition may stretch your budget, it may very well turn out to be the product you, and your family, have been looking out for.

While the 1.5 TSI mill, as well as the DSG gearbox, will feed the enthusiast, the cylinder deactivation technology will appeal to the rationale.

Be it the Octavia or the Superb, Skoda products are 'built like a tank' and have stood for spaciousness and comfort, and the Karoq is no exception.

A long wheelbase, best in class boot space, and nine airbags make the Kodiaq sibling a family's delight.

The interiors are plush and premium with soft touch material. The beige upholstery adds to the feeling of airiness / roominess inside the cabin space.

With a panoramic sunroof, digital instrument cluster, eight speakers, electrically adjustable driver seat, and many a more, the Karoq is loaded to the brim.

Skoda also offers six years warranty.

You may also want to test drive the Volkswagen T Roc or the Jeep Compass.
akaushik.in is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks