Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Thar would you buy?
2.0L Turbo-Petrol 111 23.62%
2.2L Turbo-Diesel 359 76.38%
Voters: 470. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2020, 11:35   #61
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar: Petrol vs Diesel

Voted diesel!
The 2.2 is reliable, it has considerably more tank range which is very important when you go on adventure(s).
Furthermore the price difference is negligible and the new 2.0 Turbo petrol’s reliability it yet to be proven
Old 24th October 2020, 12:51   #62
BHPian

Cant vote yet, as I still don't have the privilege.

Still would have voted for diesel, as I have already booked Lx HT Diesel variant. Before the launch, I was intrigued by the R&D Mahindra had done for their new mStallion engine's and same were showcased in the auto expo as well. There are sufficient articles, detailing what Mahindra has achieved in designing in these engine's.

I was hell bent to go for these engine's as I have always driven only petrol cars. Initially it used to be Gypsy King, and then my present Honda Brio. Brio being so refined and peppy, that a Turbo Petrol seemed a mouth watering offer.

However, here came the twist. Since I never owned an Auto transmission, this would have been purchased with Auto variant only, & here I learnt the minuscule single digit fuel figure's. Not that it bothers me much, as I drive mostly 5000Kms in a year, going by the average kms I have clocked on my Brio in past 7 years, but still more tank capacity, means more fun at a better value. More so, since BHPians, mentioned the Diesel variant is smooth with excellent NVH levels. And finally GTO recommendation of Diesel nailed it.
Old 24th October 2020, 21:18   #63
BHPian

I will be going for a LX Diesel MT CT. I am a hardcore fan of manual transmission. I love the diesel from my ex-xuv 500 and the current Innova. I just love the low end grunt of the diesels.
Old 25th October 2020, 01:53   #64
BHPian

Voted for the Diesel! In my view, better resale value, fuel economy (and range) and proven torquey turbo diesel engine (which is silent as well) outweighs the Petrol.
Old 25th October 2020, 03:21   #65
BHPian

Have voted for the Gasoline engine.

Have never owned a diesel vehicle in my life and have no plans to start now.

Realistically speaking my chances of owning a Thar are fairly low even if I relocate to India; I already have a Gypsy that I bought brand new in 2016 and so far have only managed to put 7,000 kms on it (I know it’s a shame). But then who am I kidding; I will need a vehicle for everyday use if I want to preserve my back and hopefully by that time we will have a few more options with a Gasoline motor.

Having said all of that; I do plan to test drive one when I visit and then who knows; I have never really played by the rule book (who says you can’t have two hardcore 4X4s in your garage).

I voted for Gasoline because first off; I have cut my teeth on a Mahindra CJ-3B (gasoline) back in the 1980s so naturally have a soft corner for Mahindra Petrol motors and I’m sure Mahindra has come a long way in terms of engine refinement/reliability over last three and a half decades.

I don’t particularly like the diesel clatter at startup and the slightly higher maintenance cost associated with Diesel. My ancestral home is in Shimla and almost all of the driving is in the Himalayan/Shivalik region. As most of you would know we see negative temperatures in certain Himalayan geographies for a few months during a certain time of the year. I have seen people struggle to start their diesel vehicles in low-temperature conditions and that’s not my cup of tea. With a gasoline engine that is unlikely to happen (I have personally driven in -43°C and the vehicle in question; a Jeep Wrangler had no problem in firing up on a bitterly cold morning). The number of kilometers that I’m likely to drive in a year also is low so as far as the expenses are concerned that is not going to be a factor in the grand scheme of things.

Yes, I do know that tidal wave of torque at low RPMs that a naturally aspirated/turbo diesel can provide is awesome but then the higher level of engine vibration, the smelly stuff, and that plume of smoke in the morning……

Additionally, as per GTO’s note, this gasoline engine has a good mid-range and power delivery is very linear in nature.

The official life span of vehicles as mandated by the powers that be is going to be comparatively longer for a gasoline-driven vehicle and that remains one important factor. The regulatory noose is only going to become tighter in the years to come.

The only bummer is the small fuel tank and the low fuel efficiency of the gasoline engine but I must add here that I frequently get 10 to 12 kmpl in hills with my Gypsy most of the time (99% of the time I drive alone) and I’m sure I’ll be able to squeeze reasonably good mileage from this motor too; this motor’s gas-guzzler nature notwithstanding.

Bottom line; when I’m spending 14 or 15 big ones, I would appreciate a comparatively refined motor and I would like to validate that fact when I test drive this vehicle.

For the time being Gasoline remains my poison of choice…

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 25th October 2020 at 03:26. Reason: Addition of content
Vikram Arya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 18:52   #66
BHPian

Voted diesel. Petrol makes sense if it is a high revving engine. Otherwise I don't see much sense in the extra money spent on fuel due to the low fe of petrol.
The 2.2 Diesel is a tried and tested engine. So the reliability is a plus
manojas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 00:45   #67
BHPian

My vote goes for the Petrol; reasons are both emotional and practical.

To begin with, the original Willys that started the Jeep culture was a petrol back then initially and it cannot be denied that most of the new Thar buyers would be picking the car as a lifestyle add-on vehicle / a heart-over-head purchase & just for me personally, 'history' plays an important role in such a purchase.

Secondly, as good as the mHawk may be its almost a decade old motor now and though tried and tested, a car that I'd like to keep for a long time I'd want a motor with fairly new tech and I'd like to believe M&M has done a good job with the new 2.0 mStallion as its going to be used in their flagships and even the upcoming Rexton which would be a sub-25 30L car. Add to that every changing norms towards the diesel (Delhi-NCR).
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 00:56   #68
BHPian

Not allowed to vote because my membership is just approved. Thanks team for giving me the opportunity to join this family by approving my membership request.
Now when it comes to choose a version of Thar, my choice will be Diesel MT with Hardtop.
Old 3rd November 2020, 13:19   #69
BHPian

Voted Petrol!
For two main reasons - First of all, the NGT vehicle ban in Delhi just makes it really difficult to justify spending 15-17 big ones on a Diesel only to have it for a period of 8-9 years at the most (as you'll have to start the NOC transfer and looking for a buyer by the end of the 8th year itself).

Secondly, my annual running is quite low (around 5k Kms) and the higher price = ownership cost of a diesel does not make too much sense to me. Neither does the worry of low FE of petrol worry me too much due to low running.

Also, I have become a believe in the value provide by pre-owned vehicles and my plan is to pick up a low-mileage petrol LX 2-3 years down the line (BHPians, I'm looking at you )

I would rather get a pre-owned petrol Thar and have the peace of mind of using it for a good 12-13 years before worrying about selling it off. The Thar for me would be more of a recreational vehicle to go on weekend/ fun drives and the occasional off road trip.
kunalsingh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 13:42   #70
Senior - BHPian

Given the negligible price difference between diesel and petrol variants of the Thar, a key deciding factor for enthusiasts would be low-end torque, which is usually associated with diesel engines. If official specifications are to be believed, the mStallion engine gets into its peak torque band as early as 1250 RPM in the M/T avatar - if true in real life, this engine should be a hoot to drive in the city (with minimal turbo-lag) as well as highways. The M/T would not be a hit on the pocket as well, compared to A/T of course.

Has anyone had a chance to drive the petrol M/T yet?

Last edited by cool_dube : 29th November 2020 at 13:53.
Old 6th December 2020, 12:54   #71
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Voted Petrol and booked a Hardtop Petrol Automatic. Can't wait to vroom past the diesels with my custom exhaust singing !!
NIP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 15:44   #72
BHPian

Voted for Petrol and have booked one too. The Thar is mostly for the wife and the usage is not likely to be very high. That’s the reason for choosing refinement over low end torque and fuel efficiency. Being in the NCR also is reason enough to chose petrol over a diesel
Old 14th December 2020, 18:17   #73
BHPian

Voting privilege yet to be invoked but my vote would go for petrol.

I had the opportunity to test drive only the diesel manual and to be frank it didn't give me that " fuzzy feeling" that James May is on about.

Yet, I had booked a Diesel auto LX in Mystic Copper on the 10th of October and then headed out to sea with one thought lurking in the back of my head, whether I had chosen the right variant to suit my requirements.

The fact that the petrol automatic has a drinking problem, to be honest was a major point in booking the diesel.

This would be the second car into the garage. Over the last 5 years of car ownership, my average monthly mileage has been around 1000kms with the 2015 Honda city ivtec. Even if another car is to be included into the foray, I suspect my monthly mileage will not be exceeding by far too much and the fact that these cars might just sit idle for at least a couple of months at a stretch while I'm at sea made me rethink my variant selection.

Therefore on the 28th of October, I had informed the SA to change my booking from Diesel auto LX in mystic copper to Petrol auto LX in Napoli Black. This had pushed my delivery date to May 2021. I hope I've made the right swap. Would really love to get some opinions and feedback on the same.

Last edited by Capt.Arun : 14th December 2020 at 18:37. Reason: typo error
Capt.Arun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 18:56   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Arun View Post
Therefore on the 28th of October, I had informed the SA to change my booking from Diesel auto LX in mystic copper to Petrol auto LX in Napoli Black. This had pushed my delivery date to May 2021. I hope I've made the right swap. Would really love to get some opinions and feedback on the same.
I am a big fan of turbo petrols and automatics. I don't like diesel clatter and narrow torque band. Also, I hate pressing the clutch pedal, especially with the chaotic traffic and road conditions.

My take on fuel efficiency: Kmpl does not really matter, I only fill up as much petrol as I can afford and drive only those many kilometers . Somehow, I am able to squeeze in 1 or 2 good long road trips every year.

Disclaimer: I mostly eat at home and use an electric scooter for local use, so I am rich
anandpadhye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 16:58   #75
BHPian

Autoxmag has just dropped a video reviewing the petrol AT doing offroad and compares the petrol engine with the diesel one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks