Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2020, 08:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Looking for a replacement of my Mahindra Xylo

We are looking for a replacement for our Mahindra Xylo E8 ABS Nov. 2009 model that has run 3,52,000+ kms.

Our budget is 20 lakhs On The Road.
We are confused between Mahindra Marazzo, Mahindra XUV500, Hyundai Creta.

Requirements (not in particular order)-
1. Good legroom in middle row.
2. Good Boot Space and the Boot Floor should be Flat (As Like As in Xylo after the 3rd Row Seat is tumbled forward).
3. 3rd Row (in case of Marazzo and XUV500) should be usable for Adults for occasional long trips.
4. Good Ground Clearance (Similar to Xylo).
5. Good Ride Quality.

Seltos and Hector are not considered for lack of Service Centres and also the latter is crossing 20big ones.

Tata Harrier is dropped by me since I had already decided in 2014-15 itself that "Say TATA" to TATA however good the product may be due to lack of After-Sales Service (even from Regional Manager) in case of our Indigo XL Grand Dicor.

I know Creta is a 5 Seater but being considered for Boot space and Flat Boot Floor.

The downside in Marazzo and XUV500 is that 3rd row Seat does not Tumble forward but only folds. And due to this, the floor is not flat for loading some heavy cargo (our Testing kit weighs 60-70Kgs).
The Kit seen in the centre below is 18" X 24" (Plus 2" on both sides for lifting handles). Just for reference, this kit can be loaded in 1st Gen Elite i20 (Mar. 2015) after folding the rear seats (Boot Space of Elite i20- 284 litres)
Looking for a replacement of my Mahindra Xylo-img_20201117_080449.jpg

Your advice please.

I have not taken Test Drives of any of these cars, Also I have not seen them from inside.
I have not even seen XUV300 from inside out.

If Xylo would have been in production, we would have bought it.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th November 2020 at 17:41. Reason: As requested
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 08:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Looking for a replacement of my Mahindra Xylo

The Innova Crysta would suit you to a tee. It is slightly overpriced, but considering your usage, you would easily recover the price premium over the course of ownership.
blackwasp is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 09:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Looking for a replacement of my Mahindra Xylo

I'd say if you're comfortable with having a 5-seater with a big boot, go for the Harrier. If you don't want the Harrier, nothing beats the Innova Crysta for reliability.
Like blackwasp said, although you might have to extend your budget, you'll recover it soon
Otherwise, you can look at pre-worshipped Crysta or Hexa.
akash_v12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 09:53   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Looking for a replacement of my Mahindra Xylo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
We are looking for a replacement for our Mahindra Xylo E8 ABS Nov. 2009 model that has run 3,52,000+ kms.
Wow, that is some running! I second the BHPians above - the Innova Crysta is built for you . It will be the easiest car to take to 300,000 km with the least amount of headache. What's more, it is a good upgrade from the Xylo, the power delivery is nice and its road manners are superb.

Would keep the Marazzo as the 2nd choice as its a damn good MPV. Drive it and you will be pleasantly surprised, as I was! But 3 lakh km? Won't age as well as the Innova Crysta (although you should still check the Mahindra out).

No point looking at the XUV500 as the current gen is old & on the way out. When the new car comes, it'll be best to wait for 2 years so that Mahindra can sort out all the niggles.

Really, eyes shut, go for the Innova Crysta. I have seen Innovas with 2+ lakh km that still drive very well.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 09:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are OK with buying pre-owned cars, then a Ertiga diesel (private owner) could be a good option. Unfortunately the Ertiga on sale currently has only Petrol/CNG engine variants.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 17th November 2020 at 10:12.
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 10:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Xylo is a one of a kind vehicle, that is tough to replace. There is nothing out there that can compare with the third row of Xylo.

Innova could have been a good alternative if not for its crude form of tumbling the third row seat. It does not give you a flat floor when it is kept to the floor. When it is locked in its place, the width of the car is seriously affected. To carry large and heavy equipment , Innova will not be a good choice because of this nuance. From your list of cars, only XUV500 makes sense to me.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 17th November 2020 at 10:11.
padmrajravi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 10:15   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Requirements-
1. Good legroom in middle row.
2. Good Boot Space and the Boot Floor should be Flat (As Like As in Xylo after the 3rd Row Seat is tumbled forward).
3. 3rd Row (in case of Marazzo and XUV500) should be usable for Adults for occasional long trips.
4. Good Ground Clearance (Similar to Xylo
I would second recommendations by @blackwasp and @GTO. The Crysta GX would more than suffice.

Alternatively, a used 2012-2016 Fortuner or Innova V that has done no more than genuine 80k kms will last, last and last and meet all your requirements.

Just that with the Fortuner, the high floor pan offers poor under-thigh support for the mid row and so some cushions would be needed.

As a third option, if you get a low run Xylo, even that would be fine, since you are familiar with the vehicle.

Last edited by vigsom : 17th November 2020 at 10:16.
vigsom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 11:50   #8
BHPian

Sorry to hijack your post but we are also in similar boat. My cousin brother's Xylo was sold a month ago with odo at 2.6L kms, since it required major upgrades and now he is left with only Dzire for a family of 6 adults + 2 kids. He is on the lookout for a new vehicle and trust me, even Crysta doesn't offer the comfort of the Xylo's 3rd row seat.

So far nothing comes closer to Xylo's seating comfort and we already TD the Crysta, Hexa, Marazzo, Ertiga. *Sigh* If Xylo is in production today, we would have picked it up eyes closed. Will update the progress once we TD other vehicles.

But one thing is for sure, we need to compromise something. Let's see how it goes and I wish you luck to find an alternate for your Xylo.
Old 17th November 2020, 12:08   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Wow, that is some running! I second the BHPians above - the Innova Crysta is built for you . It will be the easiest car to take to 300,000 km with the least amount of headache. What's more, it is a good upgrade from the Xylo, the power delivery is nice and its road manners are superb.
I do agree with GTO sir. Innova Crysta is surely the car for you and your incredibly high usage. Reliability should be the last of the issues and that extra money that you spend on it would be recovered soon. The GX AT is a good buy and comes for about 21.5 Lakhs OTR. Innovas run much more than 3 lakh km comfortably.
I still lay emphasis on the Innova Crysta GX. If budget is not an issue, go for the ZX if you want many more features to keep you and your family happy.

Happy Hunting.
Tachyonites is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 14:58   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

@IndigoXLGrandDi

Agree with GTO & others about Crysta.

However, I suggest that if you find Marazzo to your liking, then check if you easily remove the last row to make space for the equipment.

Since you are ok with a 5 seater, the Marazzo can be converted to a 5 seater if it ticks your requirement list.

Note:
You can always add the 2 seats for specific instances.

I have on a couple of occasions, I removed the middle row and the jump seats in my Storme to make space for a person to sleep (since the requirement then was allow the person to travel comfortably, lying down)
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 16:34   #11
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Those are sonce serious miles on your XyIo. The other day I was discussing with my brother on what would be a worthy replacement for our 2012 Xylo. Frankly speaking its not due for a replacement yet. 8 years and it has only covered around 50,000 kms. It's been a very trouble free ownership - very much comparable to our Toyota Qualis.

coming to the topic of a worthy replacement, we could think of none. One amount of space the Xyto offers, I cant think of any other MUV that offers that much space. The Tata Hexa , probably yes. The Marazzo or the Innova would no doubt be a worthy replacement for the Xylo (albeit at a slight cost of space). My brother drove the Marazzo and loves it - it does not feel like a MUV. Quality and Refinement is better than the Xylo. And the best part is itsprice compared to the Crysta. If budget is not an issue, then Crysta it is. Else, Marazzo.

You cannot go wrong with either of them. Happy Shopping )

Last edited by Sheel : 21st November 2020 at 18:16. Reason: Typos.
v12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 12:03   #12
BHPian

Man that's some ODO reading. 3+ lacs. Kudos. mEagle engine though is not super refined, really excels in reliability. I can vouch for that.

As a current Xylo (2013 model) owner with 1.3L kms on Odo, I recommend you to buy an Innova. Your budget is spot on and only Innova can fulfill the requirements you have. As of now, there is no other vehicle that can match the convenience & space offered by Xylo, except Innova.

I tried Marazzo, and stepped out unsatisfied. Marazzo is class leading in terms of interiors and build. But the sad engine is a big let down.

Go for Innova. Period.
rajeshsundaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 12:52   #13
BHPian

Last year I was in the same dilemma as you are now. I too own a Xylo E8. I bought Innova Crysta Vx 8 Seater last September to replace the Xylo. But instead I have kept her at my office to ferry around my people and customers. I got a quote of around 1.5 lakh which couldn't justify the 'value' Xylo offered. The current odo reading is almost 2 lakh.

Innova Crysta scores over Xylo in luggage hauling, as the rear seats move upwards liberating massive space at the back. Add to it that the middle row tumbles forward, and I can take one small and one medium bicycle with me easily. I couldn't do this in Xylo.

Xylo scores in space, but falls flat in comfort for passengers. I had not realised this earlier that constant vertical movement in Xylo is very tiring for passengers.

The third row in Crysta is not as spacious as the Xylo, but space can be generated as the middle row slides forward if required.

High speed stability is brilliant in Crysta and Xylo doesn't even come close. In Crysta, I am getting around 15kmpl in city and got 19kmpl on highway trip to Baroda. In Xylo I could manage 12 kmpl in city and highway both.

Cheers,
AB

Last edited by coriollis : 21st November 2020 at 12:56. Reason: deleting unnecessary word
coriollis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 13:56   #14
BHPian

Most people have suggested the Toyota Innova Crysta, I too suggest the same. It will be a perfect upgrade for you, and ticks all the right boxes in your requirements. The Base trim should be good. What’s more is that it will last long, just like your XYLO. Please see my replies in bold.

Quote:
That is an excellent ODO reading for the XYLO, particularly for a Mahindra.
Our budget is 20 lakhs On The Road.

Requirements (not in particular order)-
1. Good legroom in middle row. (CHECK)
2. Good Boot Space and the Boot Floor should be Flat (As Like As in Xylo after the 3rd Row Seat is tumbled forward). (CHECK)
3. 3rd Row (in case of Marazzo and XUV500) should be usable for Adults for occasional long trips. X, but I don’t think you’d mind this because you are considering the Creta.
4. Good Ground Clearance (Similar to Xylo). (CHECK)
5. Good Ride Quality. (CHECK)

Tata Harrier is dropped by me since I had already decided in 2014-15 itself that "Say TATA" to TATA People can’t resist using this pun I guess,
Now the question is, to buy the current model or wait for the facelift. My answer: Depends on you. If the Crysta is over your budget now, wait for the facelift and then I think you will get good discounts on the outgoing model. If you still want to buy the newest car, you might want to stretch your budget but I can assure you, it is totally worth it.
Old 21st November 2020, 14:04   #15

I currently have a Crysta VX and a Marazzo M2(base). I feel a pre worshipped Innova should really fit your requirements well considering Innovas can munch miles forever and drive well for over 3L kms without any major rehaul. You could even consider a new Crysta Gx (Base). I'm sure the Innova doesn't need much of an introduction. Speaking of the Marazzo, it's S-P-A-C-I-O-U-S. I also own a GLS350d and the rear bench of the Marazzo can very well rival it. But yes, you can't achieve a flat boot floor and I have personally found it to be a pain to load luggage etc. Also the diesel engine is turbo charged and really lacks low end punch (Typical Mahindra engine behaviour which you will face in the XUV too). I have stalled the car on 2nd and 3rd gear way more than I'd like to admit. Once the turbo spools it does have enough grunt and I'm sure it does decent enough for flat roads. (I live in the hilly regions of Andaman and Nicobar Islands so I don't really see the 4th gear too often when I drive the Marazzo)
dakshin.bhasker is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks