Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2020, 18:24   #31
BHPian

Wow, I missed a lot of posts in the last day or so! Thanks peeps.

First to clarify (again), the headline was changed by a Mod and is honestly nota reflection of my actual question which is as follows

CAN A HECTOR PLUS (PETROL AUTO) DOUBLE AS A DAILY COMMUTER AND A HIGHWAY VEHICLE FOR A FAMILY OF TWO HUMANS AND FOUR FUR BABIES? ANY SERIOUS CHALLENGES OR ALTERNATIVES?

Having said which, let me address some of the interesting responses and suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
The hector plus should do perfectly for the dogs. It has an almost flat floor and ample space for the doggies...
Since you don't want a van and the hector isn't that great a driver's car you can wait a couple of months to see what the Gravitas and the xuv500 have to offer. They should be much better drivers cars while sharing the same space and price points of the hector plus.
Thanks! Indeed the flat floor of the second row is a HUGE factor for us. Let me explain why. Our Golden Retriever was rescued from a lifetime of neglect and abuse and suffers from epilepsy, a heart condition, hip dysplasia and an auto immune condition called myasthenia graves. The resulting cocktail of medication means that he isn't all that steady at the best of times. He is just going to lie down and not going to balance himself unlike other dogs. Therefore the safest space for him is the floor of the car. When the second row captain seats are pushed all the way back and the driver seat adjusted, there is a tremendous amount of space on the floor for him. It'll also be easier for him to get onto the floor of the car than the seat. As for the wait, I've considered it seriously. The XUV's got great cred as a mile muncher but Mahindra's overly butch image isn't exactly in keeping with what we're looking for. Besides the spy shots I've seen make this look somewhat odd. Plus, I have no clue how long it'll take to out and I can't wait indefinitely. Even 3 months is a bit much at the mo. Also, personally have never been one to be a first mover/buyer for any new tech until I see how it plays out. Unless its from the likes of a Honda or a Toyota tbh. Only looking at the Hector because nearly a year and a half have passed and it seems to have passed muster. Still, there seems to be a new version/variant which may out in January so might just wait an see a bit. Gravitas - probably a worthy contender but again with a Tata product I'd like to wait and see how it does for a while. As for the 'driver's cars' bit, I'm no longer sure. I have seen very very little commentary on the Hector's Petrol auto other than specs and general reports of mileage. My experience of it was pretty damn good tbh, albeit the fact that its no corner carve, nor do I expect it to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
How about the Hyundai Tucson? Must admit it might be slightly smaller than the MG Hector.
This is something I have been seriously thinking about. Haven't been able to find any really detailed long-term reviews of the current Tucson though. I am also sub-consciously carrying a bias against Hyundai and Kia after the widely reported braking issues which are going unaddressed. I'm willing to compromise on just about anything except braking. Thats a no go for me. I'd like to know more about the Tucson's record on the subject. Will dig some more. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav911 View Post
Interesting requirements.
For taking your fur babies along with you and your better half, even a compact SUV or something like a Creta with folded seats will suffice.
Something we've considered but ruled out Creta and Seltos (and pretty much Hyundai and Kia) over the braking issues reported. Won't take a chance on that. Plus, there's a little issue - we can't have all four in the same space for a multitude of reasons so the folded seat solution won't work at all I'm afraid.

Quote:
I would strongly suggest that you test drive the Harrier. Moreover , if you like it then you can wait for the Gravitas which may actually turn out to be something that suits you. Also the auto gearbox on the Harrier is tuned rather well and should be enjoyable to drive.
Yes the Harrier really seems to come highly recommended. Perhaps I am still living with the legacy of earlier times - I'm a little leery about dropping north of 20L on a Tata, particularly one which is apparently now showing its niggles. Having said which, thanks I will certainly reconsider this.

Quote:
Personally , I am not fond of the Hector's road dynamics and handling. The ride on the rear seat was quite unsettling over uneven road surfaces so I am not sure a nervous Great Dane would be happy at the rear. Also the automatic is available only in a petrol DCT which is likely to give you only single digit numbers.
Aware of the petrol mileage and I'm not expecting more than 7-10, in city and on highway. Fine with it to be honest. Given our relatively low mileage, the difference in price between a diesel and a petrol vehicle more than make up for it, plus we get to claim the fuel so the math adds up for us. The refinement and quiet of a petrol is a bonus. Can't argue with the ride quality. Our nervy girl though would be nervy regardless. A more pliant ride might actually be better for her than a stiffer one. We drive fairly conservatively, particularly when they are in the back. Thanks for the thought though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Ram View Post
I know it's not a straight answer your are looking for but I think you guys should definitely test drive the other cars such as Innova, Fortuner, Endeavor etc before ruling it out completely.
Alas, 'fairness' has little to do with this Your point is well taken but honestly the new gen Fortuner and Endeavour and absolute behemoths imo. Its just a bridge too far. Agreed they seem only a 'bit' larger than the Hector from every perspective if you actually measure it but odd things such as the very high GC actually work against them (as 3 of our dogs are senior citizens and one has severe hip issues). Just trying to get them up into them is going to be a bit of a mission. Also at 40 plus OTR in Bangalore it seems a bit moot for someone who will never use most of what they were designed for (offload).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Ram View Post
I have a lab and he is not welcome at my in-laws' place because they have cats. Often we find it's less stressful for him and us to just drop him at his usual boarding place than take him along to some new and unpredictable places. With four dogs of different temperament I imagine it can get even more stressful.
Ha. Yes well, I totally see your point. And perhaps we are romanticising it a tad. Our four are all adopted and have had the worst that life could imagine thrown at them, before we became a family. So none of them have experienced and grown to love car travel as puppies. They all approach it a little differently so sure it can get stressful. Here's the thing though (and this is a little painful) we honestly don't know how much time we have with them. What little we do, we'd like to make an effort to do the best we can. There are no guarantees that it'll work out. Yes - pet friendly resorts and homestays of which there seem to be a growing number in Karnataka at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramanat View Post
I am in a similar boat but with smaller pets (sun conures, about to add a caique into the mix, but their cages will occupy as much as a great dane) and 2 kids. I had never thought of the hector plus. Wouldn't a 5 seater suv with large trunk (minus the cargo tray, of course), like a compass fit better? The great dane can hop on to the back and stay comfortable there. The others can be in the middle row.
Wow, I had to google the former. Large trunk - the Compass definitely doesn't qualify. It has a ridiculously small trunk for its external dimensions and the premium one pays for it (although it would certainly work for enthusiasts I'm sure). Frankly thats why we had to rule it out. Thing is, our Dane is getting on. She can't really climb up and into a boot. Ingress through the back seat, between the captain seats if necessary seems like a much more convenient option. Besides, if the last row isn't needed, it folds flat so I think the option of having both configurations is rather convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Personally I wouldn't put a pet in the trunk. Chances of injury in the case of a rear-ending event are too high. A 7 seater suits OP's use case better.
That too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
On one hand you say "no vans" and on the other hand you buy the most vannish "suv" currently on sale?
Haha. Probably true. Having said which, I have another perspective - its as close to van without being one. So best of both worlds perhaps? The Carnival is gorgeous. And gigantic! Def not happening. As for the height - our big girl definitely isn't going to be standing up on the seat through and through but thanks for something to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan_n8 View Post
Just some re-assurance, I think you have a winner in the Hector Plus here.
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
I'm just curious, where would all the luggage go - Thule?
First off, the two of us travel super light. Typically two 50L backpacks. Its been enough for two months through SE Asia and plenty of other adventures. Those can be stuffed even into the slim space at the back when the third row is up. Another space is the front passenger seat, under the glovebox - one of us typically sits at the back while the other drives and shotgun is reserved for our super chill beagle who likes to curl up there. Enough for 3 bags there even in a small car. A third spot is the space between the captain seats where two bags can easily be stacked. Over and above these, should the need arise, yup Thule it is. I'm a mountain biker and intend to instal the roof racks for the bikes anyway. A box will fit snugly between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
A friend is a farmer (modern farmer) and has 3 -
Finally what he bought was - wait for it - a sparingly used Hexa XMA 2018. Honestly he is super happy with it. He wasn't worried for resale as he keeps his vehicles till they fall apart! (Also do look at his previous choices). He has removed the last row. Adapted a ramp using a metal tray - somewhat like an offroad ladder which he also intends to use if the vehicle gets stuck in farm trail. He paid XL6 money for the Hexa.

His final shortlist was the Harrier, Hector, MU-X, Crysta. Do try testing it with your dogs and let your wife drive them. Some of these drive like cars and wrap around you in traffic.
Seems like a wonderful setup! Definitely considering a ramp. The MUX would've been right up there in our choices. In fact we'd probably have just bought it blindly, particularly considering of us LOVE the Dmax and Isuzu in general. Sadly they've discontinued it (thanks BS6!). Your friend's insight is bang on! More so considering two of our girls are aging and find it hard to climb up. Plus, our retriever has severe hip dysplasia, arthritis and medication which makes it difficult for him to climb. So the floor of the car will probably be his spot. The Hector has decent GC while still not being too high to get up into. The Harrier - must look into it. Thank you for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperweight View Post
the three best friends found the back to be fine and spent their time romping around and occasionally augmenting the horn when they saw a poodle on the road. You could also consider a caravan that might be quite homely though it does seem that you have practically chosen the Hector.
Thanks for the memories. Do share pics if you have any. Mustve been some wonderful adventures with them. Caravan (Carnival?) - bit big for a daily commuter methinks but definitely something to think about.

Cheers,

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Question to the OP and sorry for my ignorance.

Does the Hector Plus / Hector come with electric tailgate. If yes, does UT have sensors to avoid auto closing. Asking because I remember a TopGear/GrandTour episode where they try putting dogs in cars with automatic tailgates and the electric gate doesn’t close as it senses movement!

Edit: Found the link. It was Grand Tour!
https://Youtu.be/WMCdE62oLuw
This is fantastic!! Thank you for sharing.

I'll check on the electric tailgate being motion sensitive. I strongly doubt it considering it essentially closes down on the third row with just about enough space for two backpacks to be wedged in behind. I doubt it could be as it'd refuse to shut with kids in the back row, or so I imagine. I don't think its going to be a problem but I will check. Appreciate the thought though.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th December 2020 at 13:49. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
RT13 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 13:22   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Is the MG Hector Plus (Petrol Auto) a good city & highway car for a family of two and four dogs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
This is fantastic!! Thank you for sharing.

I'll check on the electric tailgate being motion sensitive. I strongly doubt it considering it essentially closes down on the third row with just about enough space for two backpacks to be wedged in behind. I doubt it could be as it'd refuse to shut with kids in the back row, or so I imagine. I don't think its going to be a problem but I will check. Appreciate the thought though.
Its not motion sensitive.
At least not in my regular hector with electric tailgate.

My petrol manual is giving me 11 Kmpl, without its first (full) service still.

Ride quality is sublime at the front, and I have not heard any noise from my 7 year old who sits in the back in his car-seat.

Handling is not this car's forte, but which SUV/MUV handles? That is not what one buys them for. It will cruise the whole day at triple digit speeds. The Hybrid does help in quick getaways as well.

NVH reduction is unreal, and journeys dont feel tiring at all.

MUV shape: A lot can be managed by just painting the wheels black, or may move to the new wheels whenever they come on the facelift.

I also considered the harrier, but the hector is much more premium and feature laden when compared to it, even though it costs less. The harrier feels cheaply built, but yes, looks hot.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 14:21   #33
BHPian

re: Is the MG Hector Plus (Petrol Auto) a good city & highway car for a family of two and four dogs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Its not motion sensitive.

My petrol manual is giving me 11 Kmpl, without its first (full) service still.

Ride quality is sublime at the front, and I have not heard any noise from my 7 year old who sits in the back in his car-seat.

Handling is not this car's forte, but which SUV/MUV handles? That is not what one buys them for. It will cruise the whole day at triple digit speeds.

NVH reduction is unreal, and journeys dont feel tiring at all.
Yes! Thank you for that clarification and endorsement! That is EXACTLY the usage we have in mind for it. I would imagine the automatic would sacrifice a shade of that mileage while gaining driveability in traffic. We certainly really liked it. It really did feel super quiet in that cabin - almost rivalling my dad’s lovely 3rd gen City engine which is so quiet at idle that I often accidentally try to start it when it’s already running. Fit and finish seem very nice and the doors have the right weightiness to them.

We’ve been going back and forth with MG who had offered us a 35k discount for December which has now turned into 35k worth of accessories or an AMC and which may turn into a knocking off of handling charges. But I think we may just wait and see the new version in Jan. Apparently they may also launch a ‘savvy’ variant with a lot of the ADAS from the Gloster and 4WD. Not that we need it but might be worth the slight wait to see.

On the muv-ish looks, I’m not bothered at all. And actually the Plus in that dark grey-silver looks really nice in my opinion and rather different from the blue and the burgundy. Something about the colour seems to accentuate the right lines so it looks less like a people carrier.

Last edited by RT13 : 30th December 2020 at 14:23.
Old 30th December 2020, 20:01   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Apparently they may also launch a ‘savvy’ variant with a lot of the ADAS from the Gloster and 4WD. Not that we need it but might be worth the slight wait to see.

That is, in all probability, not happening. I checked with my sales advisor, and it's the same information on the Hector facelift thread.
I would suggest taking the highest shield plan that they offer and you can afford. It takes a lot of headache away.
Old 5th January 2021, 01:19   #35
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is the MG Hector Plus (Petrol Auto) a good city & highway car for a family of two and four dogs?

Quote:
This is something I have been seriously thinking about. Haven't been able to find any really detailed long-term reviews of the current Tucson though. I am also sub-consciously carrying a bias against Hyundai and Kia after the widely reported braking issues which are going unaddressed. I'm willing to compromise on just about anything except braking. Thats a no go for me. I'd like to know more about the Tucson's record on the subject. Will dig some more. Thanks.
I think Tucson is a CBU which would mean high quality parts unlike the Indian-made cars which mostly have parts from local factories.

If you are thinking long term ownership, I'd recommend CR-V > Tucson >> MG Hector Plus.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 16:06   #36
BHPian

Re: Is the MG Hector Plus (Petrol Auto) a good city & highway car for a family of two and four dogs?

Thanks for all the advice. We brought home a top end petrol Hector Plus DCT in Aurora Silver last week, just before the semi conductor shortage hit MG. Absolutely loving the ride! The cabin is so beautifully insulated, the engine quiet and the driveability in traffic is downright ridiculous. The steering is amazingly light and the view commanding. Haven’t felt the need for more power at all. Enjoying cruising blissfully in a cocoon. Looking forward to a long road trip with our pack soon. Will post a review when we’ve clocked enough mileage.

Cheers,
RT13 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 16:21   #37
BANNED

Congratulations on the new purchase!

I recommend you get this to keep the dogs from attempting to crawl into the front row of the car - "PETSLOVER Deluxe Travel PET Dog CAR SEAT Fence Safety Barrier PET Fence Rear Row SEAT Safety Isolation NET Protection"

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got it for 799 but now Amazon price is almost 500 grab it while you can...

I used to keep my doggo safely in the rear on a 11 day road trip last month. He got so comfortable and with no more troubling the front passenger by sitting on her lap 10hrs a day - it was the first blissfully comfy long-drive for my friend.

Last edited by Ragul : 25th March 2021 at 16:23.
Ragul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 17:35   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Congratulations on the new purchase!

I recommend you get this to keep the dogs from attempting to crawl into the front row of the car - "PETSLOVER Deluxe Travel PET Dog CAR SEAT Fence Safety Barrier PET Fence Rear Row SEAT Safety Isolation NET Protection"

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got it for 799 but now Amazon price is almost 500 grab it while you can...

I used to keep my doggo safely in the rear on a 11 day road trip last month. He got so comfortable and with no more troubling the front passenger by sitting on her lap 10hrs a day - it was the first blissfully comfy long-drive for my friend.
Interesting. Thanks man. I was considering something like this. Having said which, I think one if not both beagles will be riding shotgun up front enjoying the ventilated seat. 😂 Still working out the logistics of it.

Cheers,
Old 26th March 2021, 19:16   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice. We brought home a top end petrol Hector Plus DCT in Aurora Silver last week, just before the semi conductor shortage hit MG. Absolutely loving the ride! The cabin is so beautifully insulated, the engine quiet and the driveability in traffic is downright ridiculous. The steering is amazingly light and the view commanding. Haven’t felt the need for more power at all. Enjoying cruising blissfully in a cocoon. Looking forward to a long road trip with our pack soon. Will post a review when we’ve clocked enough mileage.

Cheers,
Congratulations on the purchase. We have shortlisted Hector Plus as well. Just curious as to why you went with the DCT over the CVT. In my TD, I felt the CVT to be better mated to the engine.
Old 27th March 2021, 16:05   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R View Post
Congratulations on the purchase. We have shortlisted Hector Plus as well. Just curious as to why you went with the DCT over the CVT. In my TD, I felt the CVT to be better mated to the engine.
Thanks. Frankly, we just punted. There has been no CVT to test drive in Bangalore (I asked more than once) - or at least there wasn’t last month when we doing the TDs. Plus, the DCT is invariably the higher specced gearbox in any car lineup. ‘Better mated’ is somewhat debatable as I think it depends on what your looking for and driving conditions - third party reviews and reports here on team-bhp and on this thread have all said that the CVT might be a little better in traffic but the DCT is it for highway driving so they both have their advantages. In addition, for us, we loved it on our test drives (we did about 4 and in different cars) and really found nothing wanting per se so, instead of waiting more, we just went ahead, particularly as we want to travel and work remotely over the rest of the year starting next month (make use of the pandemic while one can I suppose). And I’m glad we took that call because the semi conductor shortage has hit MG badly with deliveries being delayed by 3 months as of now.

Last edited by RT13 : 27th March 2021 at 16:06.
RT13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 17:45   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks

Cheers,
Good call. I've taken a couple of long drives so far of about 700-1000 kms so far, and I'm quite pleased with what I bought. I hope you plonked for the service shield package too.
Old 27th March 2021, 18:10   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Good call. I've taken a couple of long drives so far of about 700-1000 kms so far, and I'm quite pleased with what I bought. I hope you plonked for the service shield package too.
Thanks. Your feedback helped. Still have time to buy the service package. Haven’t decided between the basic 5 years for 16k or the next one (premium) for 60k. Suggestions?
Old 27th March 2021, 19:41   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

I have the classic, but I'm thinking of upgrading it now, if it would be possible. I'll speak to my sa next week to see if that can be done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks