Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2020, 15:45   #31

Re: Restored Gypsy vs New Thar

What if you consider the Bolero Camper Gold? I've seen quite a few in Ladakh doing their job pretty well. It's a dated engine and maybe nowhere close to the V-Cross in most respects. But you'll be able to stack lots of crates and is an okay-ish offroader. I know it's nowhere close to the Thar or the Gurkha the V-Cross in terms of offroading capabilities...
Old 30th December 2020, 16:32   #32
BHPian

Seems your heart is already set on Gypsy and not wrongly so as well, will just share few points and try to help you make a better decision.
1. Try to find a newish well kept gypsy, with a little bit of patience and luck you should be able to find one. This will save you a fair bit of effort and hassle latter. Otherwise to get a disposal army\police vehicle is always an option if you have stomach for painstaking and detailed restoration job.
2. Try not falling for AC and PS installation and if that is something you cannot absolutely live without, then I would say Gypsy is not for you and look elsewhere.
3. Suspension upgrade is the only suitable upgrade for a gypsy to improve its horrible ride. I will not elaborate further on ride quality as you have already mentioned you have fair bit of an idea about what it is like.
4. Above two are strictly my individual opinion and in no way means that a reliable AC and PS install is not possible.
5. Gyspy is not fond of hauling load, specially on gradients, but again you have already clarified that is not you intend to do anyways.
6. Once you have found a good example and restored it to its full glory, you will not find a better vehicle in terms of reliability.
7. And lastly, since this is only meant to be a special purpose vehcle and you have other rides to do rest of the duties you should be more than fine getting yourself a gypsy
Old 30th December 2020, 17:30   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelstephen View Post
What if you consider the Bolero Camper Gold? I've seen quite a few in Ladakh doing their job pretty well. It's a dated engine and maybe nowhere close to the V-Cross in most respects. But you'll be able to stack lots of crates and is an okay-ish offroader. I know it's nowhere close to the Thar or the Gurkha the V-Cross in terms of offroading capabilities...
Bolero would have been considered if i wanted a proper workhorse.
Since my requirement is for a lifestyle kinda 4X4 which can do very basic luggage carrying work, my preference is more towards the Gypsy.
Frankly speaking, i will be better off with a previous gen Thar instead of a Bolero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVL500 View Post
Seems your heart is already set on Gypsy and not wrongly so as well, will just share few points and try to help you make a better decision.
1. Try to find a newish well kept gypsy, with a little bit of patience and luck you should be able to find one. This will save you a fair bit of effort and hassle latter. Otherwise to get a disposal army\police vehicle is always an option if you have stomach for painstaking and detailed restoration job.
2. Try not falling for AC and PS installation and if that is something you cannot absolutely live without, then I would say Gypsy is not for you and look elsewhere.
3. Suspension upgrade is the only suitable upgrade for a gypsy to improve its horrible ride. I will not elaborate further on ride quality as you have already mentioned you have fair bit of an idea about what it is like.
4. Above two are strictly my individual opinion and in no way means that a reliable AC and PS install is not possible.
5. Gyspy is not fond of hauling load, specially on gradients, but again you have already clarified that is not you intend to do anyways.
6. Once you have found a good example and restored it to its full glory, you will not find a better vehicle in terms of reliability.
7. And lastly, since this is only meant to be a special purpose vehcle and you have other rides to do rest of the duties you should be more than fine getting yourself a gypsy
Like you said my heart is set on the Gypsy.

1. Getting a newer model here is almost close to impossible. i haven't come across anything newer than 2007-8 in the market.
The asking prices for 2003-05 Gypsys are almost what i will be spending on restoring a 2010-12 army disposal.
Hence i have mentioned about going for the army disposal vehicle and restoration route.
2. I agree with you. No AC or PS for me.
3. I need help from the Gypsy experts on the suspension upgrade. Should i go for a step by step approach like changing dampers first, then CFL or go all out with CFL + dampers set.
Old 30th December 2020, 18:52   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajnya View Post
3. I need help from the Gypsy experts on the suspension upgrade. Should i go for a step by step approach like changing dampers first, then CFL or go all out with CFL + dampers set.
Almost all Gypsys are running on completely stock suspension, if they were so bad everyone would have messed with it from the get-go. I recommend restoring the vehicle to OE specs, drive it around for sometime and see what you can and cannot live without, spend money accordingly.

In some vehicles during restoration, its less expensive and time consuming to modify certain aspects with aftermarket items rather than going the OE spec route , Gyspy can be restored cost effectively through OE parts, so that is recommended.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 08:30   #35
BHPian

Would also recommend looking at a used V Cross or wait for the new one. Since you're planning for long drives to and from the farm, might be a good idea to get a new gen more reliable lifestyle vehicle that can do triple digits safely on the highways as well.

Another reason is the used car market in Bangalore. Gypsy prices are insane here in Bangalore.
Old 28th March 2023, 02:11   #36

Hello fellow BHPians,

I am seeking information and help to restore my 2010 model ex army hardtop Gypsy. Being new to the forum, not sure if this is the right thread to post on, however, as it's title pertains to information that I require, here I am.

I bought the Gypsy from a gentleman who himself bought it from Mayapuri and while the engine is smooth and very quite and chassis appears to be in good shape, there are numerous issues with body work, paint, electricals etc. The transmission works fine and 4x4 is in working order. The vehicle has a hydraulic PS installed and it works fine at low speeds and makes life lot easier in traffic. However, driving at high speeds is an adventure equal to, if not greater than, skydiving or swimming with sharks, although I suspect tyres may also have a part to play. While driving on highway, the steering had to be held with care usually reserved for infants and fragile stuff. Even the slightest bump or imperfection in road surface is enough to induce a wild sideways maneuver and it takes constant corrective input to avoid unplanned off-roading. The side windows do not close properly and have gaps sufficient for sparrows to fly in. There is a huge gap between driver door and bodyframe. The paint job is shoddy to say the least. Turn indicators do not work, odometer and speedo stopped working after passing over a pothole and engine warning light came up (speed sensor issue warning: 1 blink followed by 6 blinks), horn is feeble, headlights (aftermarket LED) are not focused properly, passenger side door opens only from outside etc. The temperature gauge also starts to climb in traffic. Then there are the usual leaks, rattles and hums that generations of Gypsy lovers have battled against.

I understand that Gypsy is a lifelong project and it will take lots of time, money, effort and patience to get it ready and some expectations may still remain unfulfilled. However, I am determined to try. Fortunately, registration and fitness of the vehicle are good till 2037 and I have time.

These are some things I would like to get done on priority:

1. Closing the gaps in doors and windows and fixing other issues with body, hardtop and paintwork and generally carry forward the great and ancient tradition of trying to fix leaks and prevent ingress of water into the cabin. I will start with taping off the grill above firewall, filling redundant drill holes in body/floor and sealing hardtop-body joints with Silicone.
2. Fix electrical issues, lights, horn, indicators etc. Change wire for odo.
3. Get the mechanicals looked over and get all nuts and bolts tightened. Replace all fluids and have the radiator and fan checked and try to find a solution to PS sensitivity at high speeds. This might entail removing or replacing the PS and changing tyres.
4. Replacing cheap aftermarket door opening handles (inside and outside) with MGP parts.
5. Damping in engine bay, doors and floor.
6. Installing FWHs to improve milage, reduce stress on front transmission and eliminate the hum.

Some other desired changes, if budget permits:
1. AC install.
2. Music system. (Simple HU and 2 speakers, either in designated place in footwells or custom box in overhead space between hardtop and B pillar beam).
3. Upholstered roof and interiors.
4. Custom removable carpet matting on floors.
5. 2 inch lift kit with suitable shock absorber upgrade. (Maybe CF composite leafsprings if I fall into a fortune).
6. Repaint.

I will post pics of my Gypsy soon.

I request the community to recommend a competent and trusted mechanic/workshop in or around Chandigarh who can help in giving my Gypsy the care it deserves. All inputs and suggestions are welcome, especially ones helpful in keeping the project cost effective and thereby alive. (I am, but, a poor man, trying to nurture a dream).

Moderators: Kindly move this to appropriate thread if it does not belong here.

Regards,
GS
Apprentice is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks