Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2021, 10:13   #1

2021 Volvo XC60 D5 - Worth a buy?

Looking to replace my 2015 A6 and getting a decent price for it. I've been looking at the current crop of mid size luxury SUVs in the market in the INR 65 lacs on road price category.

The car will be chauffeur driven 60-65% of the time and so rear seat comfort is very important. Had a Q5 back in the day and it was absolutely terrible to sit in at the back. I drive about 70-80 kms a day and spend about two and half hours on the road on good days.

The X3 petrol drives beautifully but is short on features (no memory seats and no lumbar support to name a few!). It is also not available, with dealers in NCR only saying that they will know by May/ June when the petrol X3 in luxury line becomes available. The 20d is too nowhere close to as much fun to drive.

Besides the back bench is kind of hard and uncomfortable.

The GLC is pretty much ruled out for similar reasons - lack of features, lack of availability and no dedicated space in the boot for the donut.

F-pace is just too dated and reliability is a concern.

That brought me looking at the XC60. Ticks all the boxes in terms of equipment and features, the D5 engine packs enough of a grunt and the car is easy on the eyes. Rear seat space and comfort is top notch. But, like most things in life, here lies the conundrum:

1. Production of the D5 has stopped with the new petrol variant likely to make a debut in October. In this background, given the already patchy Volvo dealer network, how much of an impact is the non production of the D5 likely to have on ASS, availability of spares etc.?

2. Is it worth getting the D5 now - black and white colours are in stock with blue and grey likely to be available in May/ June or should I wait for the petrol version to get the 'latest' version of this car? I'm not fussed about the fuel choice, though I have read that the petrol engines are thirsty.

3. Anyone in Delhi NCR have a not so good experience with the Volvo dealers here? Not found anything negative about the dealers here, specially with respect to ASS but fellow BHPians in other States have expressed their disappointment.

4. How well does the car age - interior and exterior? I plan on keeping the car for 6-7 cars and then making the switch to electric, hopefully. I realise I will probably take a hit on resale value as the D5's production has been stopped.

5. Any compelling reasons why I should ignore the XC60 look elsewhere?

Look forward to receiving your valuable insights, dear BHPians.

Thank you!
PaneristiHobbes is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 19:36   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: 2021 Volvo XC60 D5 - Worth a buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaneristiHobbes View Post
The car will be chauffeur driven 60-65% of the time and so rear seat comfort is very important. Rear seat space and comfort is top notch.
Haven't checked XC-60 at rear but I doubt it will be any much different from X3/ GLC.

Quote:
here lies the conundrum:2. Is it worth getting the D5 now - should I wait for the petrol version to get the 'latest' version of this car?
If you find Volvo tick all your requirements, better wait and get the new one. Not a good time to buy something when the newer variant is just around.

Quote:
4. How well does the car age - interior and exterior?
Look at some of threads, especially of Mr. Narayan. Or visit service center and see some of the cars yourself.

Quote:
5. Any compelling reasons why I should ignore the XC60 look elsewhere?
You have mentioned no specific reasons to consider only SUV! If you are open to sedans, an ES or Camry hybrid will be my pick to sit in the rear. Unfortunately, rear bench seats of most luxury SUV's are a pain. X7 or GLE are better but these won't fit in your budget.
Turbanator is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 22:07   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Are you planning to buy new or second hand. Sorry I am not clear. Sounds like the purchase of a new car. Regarding spares and ASS at least this far I have not faced any problems. Some big and unusual parts such as a wind screen require a wait of a couple of days but nothing running into several days. My car is 2014 VIN date booked in Dec'14 and delivered in Jan'15.

There is a point in what Turbanator states of waiting till October'21 and buying the new model.

I have been using Swede Motors on Golf Course Road and their workshop near Hero Honda Chowk. The workshop's service I am quite happy with and I can introduce you to the Manager there, Mr. Vikas Munjal and request him to give you honest answers to your queries.

In terms of reliability engineering the Volvo is a mile ahead of the Germans.

Which dealer are you in touch with.

In terms of rear seat comfort it is not better or worse than a German - typical hard European suspension. My Lexus is way way better. For rear seat comfort I suggest you do some live testing on routes you frequent. I do occupy the rear seat at times but am driving most of the time. Before you put down Rs 65 lakhs check this out with yourself in the back bench. As for ingress and egress with respect to the rear seat it is okay okay. Nothing to write home about. Again try it yourself. I wish the rear door opened a further 10 degrees.

In terms of wearing I think it does quite well. Material quality all around is very good.

My ownership thread is here with each service recorded.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...9-000-kms.html

I love the car's trouble free (touchwood) service and ruggedness. Please shout if you need any assistance. That's the essence of Team BHP.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 22nd March 2021 at 22:09.
V.Narayan is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 06:51   #4

Thank you Turbanator and V. Narayan for your valuable inputs.

I decided to go for the black XC60 in inscription trim, 2021 model with the D5 engine. They’ve updated the interiors and it’s unlikely that the petrol version coming out this year will carry any cosmetic updates.

After driving the A6 for 6 years, I much prefer the higher seating and driveability of an SUV and hence getting another sedan was not under consideration.

After test driving extensively, it is quite clear that rear bench space and comfort is much better than other SUVs in this category. Had the opportunity to do back to back test drives of both the new GLC and X3 before settling on the XC60.

Mr. Narayan- it has been your thread and updates that have given me the confidence to go ahead and book the car from Swede Volvo in Gurgaon. The experience with them has been terrific so far. Not so much with the dealer in Delhi but that’s a story for another day.

I would greatly appreciate being connected with Mr. Munjal at the appropriate time and look forward to enjoying many years of happy motoring, just like you, in the car.

Thank you!
PaneristiHobbes is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 07:52   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^^^ Let me know when you want to be connected to their workshop and Munjal. Also let me know when and if you wish me to speak to their sales team at the show room. I don't think you can send me a private message yet, unfortunately.

Congratulations on a first class selection. The interiors are way ahead of mine. What they plan in October is a half way top up and not a whole new model so you may not be missing much. Best of luck.
V.Narayan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 08:15   #6
VRJ
BHPian

Quote:
I decided to go for the black XC60 in inscription trim, 2021 model with the D5 engine.
A dear friend of mine is also planning on purchasing a white D5 XC60 inscription. She’s in fact test driving tomorrow. My initial recommendation was the Camry or the Lexus ES, but they strictly wanted a car with higher ground clearance (easier ingress and egress for parents). Mercedes service hasn’t been satisfactory, BMW’s X3 is old gen and feels especially so when compared with the XC60 and there’s no sign of the Q5. No Land Rover and Jaguar citing poor reliability rating and no showroom here. Leaving her with only the Volvo XC60.

Do update the thread with the price when you close the deal. It might come in handy in with my friends negotiation. Thank you! Congratulations Wish you a million happy and a trouble free miles!

Cheers!

Last edited by VRJ : 23rd March 2021 at 08:18.
VRJ is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 08:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
What they plan in October is a half way top up and not a whole new model so you may not be missing much. Best of luck.
Thank you, Sir. It certainly has best in class interiors and features at this price point. The quality is simply astounding. From my discussions with the dealership folks and based on what I’ve read, October will see the launch of the petrol XC60 in similar trim. The new model will only be launched in 2022 and that will have some cosmetic changes to the exteriors and a whole new infotainment system on the inside, which will run off the google platform. I suspect that will also see an increase in prices.

For now, as you have rightly put it, I don’t think I will be missing out on much by going for the existing model.

Besides, for a car this size, a stinking diesel makes sense and I get the sense that the petrol may be underpowered. Of course if they introduce the hybrid petrol version, that would be amazing but it would also come at a whole different price point.

In terms of accessories, I’m wondering if the all weather mats are a good idea? They seem to be rubber and only available in black and hence scuff marks will show up. Keeping them clean is likely to be quite a pain.

I’m wondering what the best non OEM alternatives are? I got Kagu Maxpider mats for my A6 and they’ve been amazing. No signs of wear over 6 years of use and still look new. Those were beige though and I don’t know how the black ones will hold up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post

Do update the thread with the price when you close the deal. It might come in handy in with my friends negotiation. Thank you! Congratulations Wish you a million happy and a trouble free miles!

Cheers!
Thank you! I went through a similar process of elimination over the last month or so. Finally Closed the deal at 66.50, including the extended warranty of 3 years (2 years standard and 3 years extended), with complimentary ceramic coating thrown in, with a 2 year warranty.

Last edited by vb-saan : 23rd March 2021 at 08:27. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged; please use edit/multi-quote options when posting back-to-back. Thanks!
PaneristiHobbes is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 20:20   #8
BHPian

Re: 2021 Volvo XC60 D5 - Worth a buy?

Quote:
Finally Closed the deal at 66.50, including the extended warranty of 3 years (2 years standard and 3 years extended), with complimentary ceramic coating thrown in, with a 2 year warranty.
Looks like the deal is already closed. However, here is what I think. IF at all there is a room for change, I would like to suggest to wait for Petrol XC60 later this year.

There are few major reasons I think:

1. At the moment of writing, I cannot book or buy a new Diesel Volvo anymore in The Netherlands. This means Volvo is not going to develop or work towards Diesel engines. Buying from a brand which does not have a vision in the long term for diesel engine is a recipe for expensive / scarce availability replacement parts

2. You have to note that Mr. V.Narayan's XC60 is from previous generation and is more than 6 years old. This does not have any or not much common parts with current generation XC60. The diesel model you are buying, though new, will be supported by spare parts for next 5-10 years, the resale value will hit a dip due to no Diesel Volvo's being sold at the moment you are selling. I would not be surprised if there are ban on Diesels in inner circles of certain major cities in the coming years.

3. Also Volvo is making great strides in improving their products. The updated XC60 will feature a new generation infotainment system developed with Google, which is also used in Volvo XC40 Electric(Though not officially mentioned, used in Polestar as well). This infotainment will also be capable of Over-the-Air updates. Along with infotainment updates, there is quite a lot of subtle changes and evolutions to the hardware used.

From the media release attachment in the link.

Quote:
In the rest of the world, the package consists of Google apps and services (where available), including best-in-class navigation through Google Maps, hands-free help with Google Assistant and a broad offer of native in-car apps via Google Play. It also includes access to the Volvo On Call app and the wireless phone charger. All data required is included in the package if Volvo Cars has signed a contract with a central mobile operator for the specific market.
In markets where there is no contract for data, the customer will need to connect with their own device and use their own data plan to access the services. Volvo Cars is aiming to include data in the package in more markets during 2021/2022.
Depending on market, the Digital Services package either comes as standard or as an option. If it is not standard on a certain trim level, the Digital Service package will be available as an option. An aftermarket kit, which includes everything in the Digital Services option except the wireless phone charger, will be available for purchase at authorised Volvo dealerships.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 28th March 2021 at 20:22.
carthick1000 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 16:20   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Turbanator and V. Narayan for your valuable inputs.

I decided to go for the black XC60 in inscription trim, 2021 model with the D5 engine. They’ve updated the interiors and it’s unlikely that the petrol version coming out this year will carry any cosmetic updates.

After driving the A6 for 6 years, I much prefer the higher seating and driveability of an SUV and hence getting another sedan was not under consideration.

After test driving extensively, it is quite clear that rear bench space and comfort is much better than other SUVs in this category. Had the opportunity to do back to back test drives of both the new GLC and X3 before settling on the XC60.

Mr. Narayan- it has been your thread and updates that have given me the confidence to go ahead and book the car from Swede Volvo in Gurgaon. The experience with them has been terrific so far. Not so much with the dealer in Delhi but that’s a story for another day.

I would greatly appreciate being connected with Mr. Munjal at the appropriate time and look forward to enjoying many years of happy motoring, just like you, in the car.

Thank you!
Its clearly the segment best that some of the ardent German car fans wont agree. So I would certainly give you a thumbs up for your choice. Volvo tends to package their cars so well that it offers a good slice of Power, Performance, looks, comfort and safety they are known for. The interiors do hold well and you dont see any clunky or cheaper part anywhere in the arm sweep distance. While there is a level of anxiety with Diesel's future, I wouldn't worry about it for the next 10 years at least. Volvos never retained a good resale value invariably so I would advice holding onto the vehicle as long as possible and extract the fullest value. Have fun and be safe with your Volvo!
vjbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 19:53   #10

So here’s the update folks. I was supposed to take delivery of the car today. But as luck would have it, because of Holi, the truck has been delayed and delivery was no scheduled for 2 April.

In the meantime, my friend and I spent a lot of time today test driving the XC40 petrol as well as the BMW X3 and also checked out the Magan (he’s in the market too) and spoke with a lot of sales reps. The general consensus of the ones we spoke with were that there is a strong customer preference for petrol engines now and they all advised buying petrol.

With so much uncertainty as to the future of diesels, coupled with the fact that the car I had booked couldn’t be delivered by 31 March so as to enable me to claim depreciation benefits, I quickly made my way to the Volvo dealer this evening and asked them to convert my booking for the diesel XC60 into a booking for the petrol one whenever it does get launched (expected October).

On its own, I am fairly indifferent to the petrol versus diesel debate but the fact that Volvo has discontinued the XC60 D5 and the fact that I wouldn’t be able to claim the depreciation benefits, prompted me to opt to wait for the petrol version.

Full marks to the Swede Volvo dealership though for being very patient and understanding through the whole process.

And thank you to all you kind folks who took the time to read my post and reply to it.

With much gratitude ����
PaneristiHobbes is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 23:07   #11
BHPian

Quote:

With so much uncertainty as to the future of diesels, coupled with the fact that the car I had booked couldn’t be delivered by 31 March so as to enable me to claim depreciation benefits, I quickly made my way to the Volvo dealer this evening and asked them to convert my booking for the diesel XC60 into a booking for the petrol one whenever it does get launched (expected October).
Hi,

Did u pick up the new petrol XC60? I’m curious to know about the performance of the same especially the lower torque. I was also in the same boat and decided against a diesel. The new one has more features and an updated infotainment system and is most definitely worth the 2 laks exshowroom diff.

Do let me know your experience.

TIA
Bharathan
Old 9th November 2021, 07:19   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharathan View Post
Hi,

Did u pick up the new petrol XC60? I’m curious to know about the performance of the same especially the lower torque. I was also in the same boat and decided against a diesel. The new one has more features and an updated infotainment system and is most definitely worth the 2 laks exshowroom diff.

Do let me know your experience.

TIA
Bharathan
Hi Bharathan - I ended up going for the diesel and have zero regrets. The engine is smooth, refined and powerful. Just completed an 800km round trip yesterday and stepped out of the car feeling great - zero fatigue.

I did check out the petrol version but was a little underwhelmed to be honest. Pet peeves were:

1. Crystal gear lever - too gimicky and does nothing for a wonderfully finished cabin. Looks quite out of place.

2. No drive modes - the old dedicated scroll wheel that is there in the diesel version which you could press and select a drive mode - Eco, comfort, individual, dynamic, off road - has disappeared.

3. No auto park feature.

4. Buggy google infotainment system. No support for Apple Car play as yet.

5. Concealed rear exhausts - car looks weird from the back. It’s a mild hybrid petrol and not an electric so I don’t get why they’d conceal the exhausts.

The drive is pleasant enough. Quiet and responsive engine. But I don’t know what real world fuel economy will be. I averaged 17kmpl on my long drive recently and easily manage 12.5kmpl in regular driving conditions.

The dealer did try and convince me to exchange my car for the petrol (offered the same ex showroom price at which I had bought the car), but I just wasn’t convinced, even keeping the financial hit I would obviously have taken aside.

Cheers!
PaneristiHobbes is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks