Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2021, 20:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Am I being stupid in sticking with the outgoing XUV500 booking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
The total score would then stand at 11/17, which is the minimum threshold for a 4-star rating in GNCAP. 0.1 point less and it would again be a 3-star car.
Thank you for this research. I had a feeling that we cannot compare a decade old higher crash rated vehicle to a newer lower crash rated vehicle because there have been many changes in the criteria. But I was too lazy to do the research and had just assumed so. This is not to say that modern vehicles are safer or comparable to higher rated vehicles of past, but just that there is no point comparing crash ratings from two different decades.

Last edited by GTO : 21st June 2021 at 06:52. Reason: Quoted post edited
padmrajravi is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 21:27   #17
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Thank you for this research. I had a feeling that we cannot compare a decade old higher crash rated vehicle to a newer lower crash rated vehicle because there have been many changes in the criteria. But I was too lazy to do the research and had just assumed so. This is not to say that modern vehicles are safer or comparable to higher rated vehicles of past, but just that there is no point comparing crash ratings from two different decades.
Thank you for reading. I was under the impression that ODB scores would still be comparable across NCAPs, until very recently. I couldn't wrap my head around why the SsangYong Tivoli scored worse than the XUV 300 in ODB test. I started reading the protocol pdfs only to realise that there are very minor differences that anyone could miss the first time around. I noticed a newer HIC15 (Head Injury Criterion) being used in the newer pdfs, in addition to slightly different capping limits for the head and chest region. I'm still not sure about the Tivoli-XUV 300 discrepancy, but I did learn that even ODB tests have been updated, at least for the head and chest region.

That said, I'm no crash test engineer or even an engineer. I just posted whatever little I did based on my limited time and understanding of those pdfs. Any crash test engineer or expert in the field is free to correct me.

Also, if you don't mind, I'd request that you change the following in your quoted text, if possible: 'offset deformable barrier test score would then stand at 11/17' to 'total score would then stand at 11/17' to reflect the updates I've made to my original post.

Last edited by rpm : 20th June 2021 at 21:30.
rpm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 23:14   #18
BHPian

The XUV500 has become an outdated model now, I agree. In my opinion, it still offers much better value for money as compared to the psuedo SUVs available in ₹ 15-20lakh price bracket now. Spare parts availablity also won't be an issue in the case of XUV 500 at least for a decade. After all, you are at least getting more practicality at almost equal price, right? (going by base variant standards)
Shreyfiesta is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 02:22   #19
BHPian

My two cents -

I totally agree with GTO that you must buy the right car with the right powertrain, since you intend to keep it for long.

I have noticed two things from your post-

1. Your shortlist had AT options, except the XUV500. Even though the list is motivated by the needs of your better half, by booking the heavier XUV500 in MT guise you are virtually precluding the possibility of her driving it around.

2. Speaking of MT, you yourself are making a big transition from a light petrol (your past steed was a Grand i10) to a heavy diesel. Have you made up your mind that you will be ok with that heavy clutch day in and day out for years to come? Hope you have spent enough time with a 2.0L plus MT diesel to have crossed that concern off the list. To speak for myself, I know for sure that if I ever buy a big diesel, it will be with an AT.

Like many have said before, the XUV500 is still a competent offering, which offers a mostly peaceful ownership experience, with a few niggles here and there. But hey, even Hondas have niggles these days. Although I am not a fan of the way it sways at low speeds over bad patches of road. But that's probably just me.

All the best for whatever you choose to do!
Romeo_Mike is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 08:29   #20

I bought one in 2014 and still have it. Every km (80k+) was a drivers delight. At that time, it was not available in Auto,. otherwise I would have bought that for sure. Car has been reliable, very comfortable and competent. No complaints there at all. I have travelled with full load and passengers and enjoyed every drive to the core. The space, feature and frugal maintenance cannot be compared to any car in the category. I did numerous drives delhi to my hometown Udhampur (J&k) and always looked forward to next drive.

Now coming to manual and your wife driving it - The clutch pedal has a long travel and the pedal itself rests higher than other 2 pedals. Someone with small feet with have issues driving as the heel will not rest while operating the clutch and that will cause discomfort and not so good driving experience for them. My wife never enjoyed driving it as much. If it had been auto, it would have been a different story.

Buying it now still makes sense, but Auto only and also if you are not eyeing the higher versions of the newer model.
Hope this helps!
lightning535 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 09:02   #21
BHPian

Given that you will be shelling out close to INR 1.5 Million, I would suggest you to resist the temptation and cancel your booking for the current Xuv 5oo.

The upcoming Xuv7oo will be definitely notches better than the current one - Space, Electricals, Creature comforts, refinement. If your running is less, you can get a Petrol Automatic for the Bangalore traffic

On your concerns over niggles in the initial batch, given the extended testing of test mules due to delay in launch one can hope Mahindra have made improvements
Sk8r is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 09:12   #22
BHPian

The biggest mistake you are making is buying an MT. With your kind of usage, you have to buy an AT (Torque converter, as you mentioned). And when it's the question of something like an XUV5OO, the MT shouldn't even be looked upon.

Regarding what car to buy, many BHPians have already answered your question with very credible explanations. There is nothing more to add.
Big Smoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 09:27   #23
BHPian

the 7 seater is more like a aspirational vehicle that you dont need . If you have to invest in a 7 seater , go for a Ertiga or a XL6 or even a pre worshipped Innova AT .

The XUV 500 as everyone said is just not the right car to invest in , at this point in its life.

We have a Creta Diesel AT and a Seltos GT DCT Petrol . They give us best of both worls . Plus its a boon to have ATs specially in a place like pune where traffic is heavy , similar to B'lore .

And with ATs I can sometimes enjoy the pasenger seat and the back seat aswell to get the chauffer driven experience .

Look at the Kiger AT , Magnite . loads of options in the market buy something modern and something your wife will enjoy .
gautamkhadse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 10:23   #24

Hey @chaitanyapramod, I fully agree with what GTO says. As an owner of current gen XUV 5OO (W11), I can tell you the competition has far better packages to offer. We bought the car in 2018 when options were scarce. The car still is quite competent, specially the engine. But the interiors and fit and finish in general will immediately disappoint you. The Seltos and Creta are clearly couple of generations ahead in this aspect. I think you should not consider the current XUV but wait for the new generation or consider the Kia, Hyundai, MG etc.
rahulkr14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 10:26   #25
BHPian

The current gen XUV500 has a good amount of information available on what to diagnose and fix when things go wrong. Not so much with any of the new SUV offerings including the harrier/safari or the korean twins.

When the new gen XUV500 arrives, it is not wise to buy it for the first two years until the initial problems, niggles, issues and part failures are sorted out. Just look at the Thar, Harrier and the safari threads. Even The Korean twins have had failures.

You may wait to buy the new XUV500 but when you do buy it you may be the first ones to buy a “tester” product despite spending your hard earned money.

In my opinion it is best to buy a sorted product like the current gen XUV500 (automatic transmission only) . Any of the pieces like the speakers, music system can probably be upgraded at the dealership itself or outside. If you buy closer to the day the new gen is going to be revealed then you may see some discounts on the current gen too.
TorqMaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 10:46   #26
PGA
BHPian

Since your requirement is mixed, city cum weekend drive, I wouldn't advice XUV 500. It is a car built for touring and not a city ride at all. Many pluses of the car have been conveyed already, it is a competent car but I find it a pain to drive it in regular city traffic, a smaller SUV will meet all your requirements much better. More than that I wouldn't buy a yesterday's car for tomorrow's chauffeur drive.
PGA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 11:18   #27
BHPian

My two cents would be to go for the XUV500 if you are looking for an upgrade. My line of thinking is that though it is a bit outdated, the car has been on sale for quite some time. This itself would remove a lot of niggles which the earlier versions had.

The AT is really tuned well with the engine and being a Mahindra owner I can give you assurance that performance will never be lacking either MT or AT. Middle row is the best in the XUV and since you are looking for 5 seater the extra space is a bonus.

If you have to wait for XUV700, the general consensus is to never get the car immediately. You will have to wait for 2 to 3 years before Mahindra sorts out the initial niggles. Initial niggles for Mahindra and Tata is guaranteed no matter when and what car. If you are ok with waiting for 2 years minimum for XUV700 then you can do that.

But if you need a car now, do try out the XUV500 AT and see if it fits your criteria. Especially since your wife is also going to drive it, the diesel clutch will be heavy for them if they are not used to it. MT can be an option if you feel the clutch is livable over a point of time. And since you have mentioned having a driver too, MT is still viable here.

Personally, I would go for the XUV500 precisely because it is at the end of the product life cycle. This is when the cars are mostly sorted out of many niggles and are very reliable. There is no right time or wrong time to buy a car, you can go ahead and get it if there is a need.
chinmaypillay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 11:41   #28
BHPian

IMHO, no car is stupid if it meets your requirements. Unlike cheap hatches, one should be extra careful to ensure that the big car meets the requirements.

Whether I would buy the XUV today-the answer would be no. I would pick Safari/Harrier/crysta over this primarily for the superior ride comfort of these cars. This car agan would be meant for traffic less scenarios. If it's a city car, a creta/seltos/city would be my choice.

Again reiterating that there is no wrong car if it meets your requirement.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 13:01   #29
BHPian

Considering you plan to retain it for a long period, it's better you opt for the latest vehicle so it doesn't feel outdated in a couple of years. The XUV 5OO will never cease to amaze you at any point, but perhaps, half-a-decade down the line when you see all sorts of new tech on other vehicles (even the XUV7OO, for that matter), you might feel your steed is a little too old. The XUV 5OO might not be outdated yet, but there's no denying that it's been long in the tooth and is surely aging. If it wasn't there's no reason the automaker would bring in a newer model

That said, you still can't go wrong even if you go ahead with it. If you can wait for a bit, the XUV5OO will certainly be offered with good discounts once the XUV7OO is out. All the best
satrikon_454 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 13:13   #30
BHPian

Other T-BHPians have given you detailed answers but one thing that struck me after reading this thread was that even after 10 years of shaking up the segment, the XUV500 is the only 7-seater monocoque SUV you can buy under 15 lakhs (not in all parts of the country).

There are other alternatives if someone is willing to compromise on one of the aspects, but there is no direct competitor.

Safari/Hector Plus/Alcazar if someone can extend their budget.

Ertiga/XL6/Marazzo if they are willing to buy an MPV.

Scorpio if they don't mind the driving dynamics of a ladder-frame SUV.

The XUV700 is also expected to cost around 20 lakhs, when launched.
Marauder is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks