MG Hector Plus 21 5.98%
Mahindra XUV500 14 3.99%
Toyota Innova Crysta 167 47.58%
Other (please specify in your post) 8 2.28%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2021, 12:26   #46
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Alcazar vs Tata Safari vs MG Hector Plus vs Toyota Innova Crysta vs others

Voted for Hyundai Alcazar. Even went ahead and booked one (1.5 Diesel AT in Signature variant. Expecting delivery by 15-Jul.)

Why Hyundai Alcazar?

Novelty factor, city friendly, easier to maneuver & suits my personality better
Used for 4 people or fewer for most part, but need a lot of luggage space. Also, the car offers best in class luggage space (with all seats intact)
More refined, plusher, better-equipped & ergonomically better sorted than the rest in contention. No major quirks either
More fuel efficient than the others without a significant loss in power to weight & torque to weight ratios
The boy racer in me is already dead and I would prefer a car that offers better ride than handling
All others are also anyway pseudo-SUVs without a proper 4-wheel drive system
Hyundai definitely offers one of the best ASS & service network around the country than the rest
narendra_urs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 22:29   #47
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Alcazar vs Tata Safari vs MG Hector Plus vs Toyota Innova Crysta vs others

Voted for Safari.

It was a tough choice between the Crysta and Safari, but I somehow cannot justify paying 4 lakhs premium for it. If the 2.8AT is available at the same price, then eyes closed it would be the Crysta.
The reliability, lader frame, RWD and all is there, but still 4 lakhs in a 20lakhs vehicle is 20%, which is not little for me. Would rather buy a used hatchback for those days when the Safari stays at workshop.
Although how much I hate the naming for what is just a Harrier Plus, I can't reject the fact that it's a very good product. Safari was a legend which this one can't ever dream to match. But from the segment this is the one which gives the most SUV feel and a great ride quality for those long highway journeys. Also the Fiat engine is awesome.

If I have to buy one, will wait for the new XUV700.

Regards,
DevOnWheels
Old 14th July 2021, 04:34   #48
BHPian

Voted for Safari.

I'm actually against the tide here. I agree that the Crysta is superior to Safari in terms of reliability, fit and finish, brand value, after sales support, etc. But, if we keep away these factors, the Crysta is just too overpriced nowadays for what it really offers. It is definitely a good option for the purpose it serves.

Still, I cannot justify shelling out ₹ 32 lakhs for a car which doesn't even have an okayish list of equipments. As compared to the Innova Crysta, Safari offers a very good package, and hence much better value for money. If Crysta ZX AT was sold at the price of a top-spec Safari, then I would have preferred it.

About the MG Hector Plus, I'm still not able to digest its weird design even after two years of its launch. Some elements inside its cabin including reverse tachometer, vertical touchscreen infotainment system are not for everyone's taste. After all, it doesn't have the diesel + AT combo which is offered by most vehicles of its class.

Not interested in the Alcazar since its diesel engine lacks outright performance. The petrol engine is very well-refined, but it lacks fun for the truth to be said. Design wise, Alcazar looks weird like Creta from the front and at the rear, it is so similar to the current-gen Endeavour.

For me, the ranking goes like :
Safari> Innova Crysta> Hector Plus> XUV 500> Alcazar
Shreyfiesta is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 06:52   #49
Senior - BHPian

Was a toss up between Crysta and Safari for me but voted for Safari. Absolutely love the way it looks (I did not think they could make it better looking than Harrier but somehow they did), love the interiors as well, very classy in my opinion and the drivetrain is good too. I am not too fussed about niggles since as a car person and have reasonably good knowledge of the mechanicals.

I would still go for Crysta if my running was high as body on frame Toyota's last forever even when abused but for a family with average running, Safari is just perfect. Was never a fan of Creta, not a fan of Alcazar either. I always feel Hyundai, atleast the one's sold in India, lack the depth of engineering which make a car great.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 14th July 2021 at 06:56.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 07:50   #50
Senior - BHPian

I voted for Innova, the undisputed leader among the people movers. Even today, there still isn't a worthy competitor for it. My voting was more about omitting others in the list than choosing Innova.

Alacazar - At the best, it's a Creta with a bigger boot than a 7 seater. Safety concerns and possibility of a poor crash test rating.

Safari - I'll weigh it as an option after Tata fires their QC team and bring a new team. Niggles on a car always irks me. I always like my cars to be in top shape. Sorry Tata, just don't have the time to keep coming to your A.S.S to keep it buzzing.

Hector plus - The design, looks and it's lineage are good enough reasons to stay away. The first test drive of that car left a very bad impression with lousy steering and bad dynamics(in c suv terms) means MG has never been a contender in my book. And no diesel with AT.

XUV 500 - The next gen model is around the corner, the second best option in the fray after Innova. Good discounts can be expected.

Things that tilted the scales in Innova's favour

- Safest bet.
- Proven performer.
- Can take bit of abuse being a BOF car.
- RWD.
- In these uncertain times, this is the safest buy on a fast depreciating asset like a car. You're never left in the lurch after splurging 2.5 to 3 M ₹.
- Reliability and total peace of mind.

I would say Innova has enjoyed the success for far too long for the bad. And my wait continues to see a competition that gives a run for it's money.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 14th July 2021 at 07:59.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 13:09   #51
BHPian

Looks like the Innova Crytsa and Safari have a lead.

Can anyone who has experienced seats of both the Innova and Safari comment on the seat comfort and cushioning of all the rows of the Safari when compared to the Innova.

In all which car is more comfortable over longer distances. Well the answer to that might be Innova, but I want the experts and everyone at Team-BHP views on how close or far behind the Safari is in comfort when compared to that of the Innova.

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st July 2021, 19:24   #52
Senior - BHPian

A mandatory three row SUV comparison video : Hyundai Alcazar, Tata Safari
Old 22nd July 2021, 07:35   #53
BHPian

Like many who have put down their dilema in this thread I am also scouting for a 7 seater and a bit confused. The requirement: a decent AT with comfortable 5 seats plus the added 2 seats which will be used occasionally for short trips.

XUV 500 W9 @ ₹21.2L post discounts: it's an aging product most probably at the end of its life cycle but for my requirements it's the cheapest in the lot. Got very little boot space but has other bells and whistles. Is it worth the discounts and buying it?

Tata Safari XZA @ ₹25.2L: my heart loves it. But it's bit over my budget (which I can still manage); don't like the white leather upholstery which is a task to maintain and the niggles. I am happy with XT features but shame on TATA they don't offer AT option on XT.

Toyota Innova Crysta Gx AT @₹24.2L: Reliable, robust and good boot space. But I was never was carried away by the car itself be it the drive or its looks. Also some serious misses in such an expensive car (Gx) like automatic climate control, rear defogger etc.

Would love to hear your thoughts in helping with the decision? And, I am in no hurry to make the purchase. Can wait a bit.
Old 6th August 2021, 18:27   #54

Newbee here, so I can't vote.

But, my choice would be the Innova.

My family was in this exact situation a few months ago. And being the only car enthusiast in the family it was my call to choose a 7 seater. After a lot of contemplation, I decided on the Innova. As many people have already pointed out when you pay ~25 lacs for a vehicle, which is a relatively huge amount for most of us. Reliability, trust, and strong resale value become very important. Also, it scored 5 stars in the ASEAN NCAP(source), which sealed the deal.

Although I would have picked the Hexa 4x4 if it was still available.

My colleagues did remind me that the Innova looks like a taxi. However, I would like to point out that does not necessarily make it a bad car, on the contrary, it's so popular as a taxi because it's a comfortable, spacious, no-nonsense reliable workhorse that gets the job done. Also, I am of the opinion that features and gimmicks sooner or later turn into problematic money pits or gets outdated anyway, whereas it's the solid mechanicals that stays with you in the long run.
tek2991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 22:11   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek2991 View Post
Also, I am of the opinion that features and gimmicks sooner or later turn into problematic money pits or gets outdated anyway, whereas it's the solid mechanicals that stays with you in the long run.
You put a valid point about the reliability of the mechanicals overpowering the bling of features in the long run, this is a thought which comes to our mind while making a purchase decision, but many of us tend to neglect this and realize it's importance over the course of the ownership.

Wish you a happy ownership of lakhs of kilometers to come with the Innova
Old 8th February 2022, 08:28   #56
BHPian

Need help on deciding the right 7-seater

Hi all,

The last time I was in the market to buy a car, T-BHP swayed me towards Baleno CVT which I ended up purchasing and have a good run with in the last 4 years.

This time again I need help since I am very confused with which car I should be considering.

Key Requirements -
1. Seating: Will frequently ferry 5 folks (1 young kid), or occasionally 7 folks.
2. Luggage: I will carry a lot of luggage for 5 folks (getaways), or few bags for 7 folks (city runs)
3. Power: Need to be well powered to handle ghats when fully loaded (5 + luggage)
4. Automatic: Have enjoyed the convenience of AT in traffic enough that I don't want a manual anymore.

4. Sunroof: Demand from the kids due to peer pressure
5. Fully Loaded: I like all bells and whistles in my car, so considering top end variants only.

Considerations:

1. Hyundai Alcazar - Petrol AT

Pros:
+ Feature packed
+ Petrol is super smooth (Diesel may be underpowered when fully loaded)

Cons:
- 3rd row is quite cramped for adults for city runs even.
- Smallish compared to the other SUVs

2. XUV 700 - AX7 (L) AT

Pros:
+ Feature packed
+ Good space
+ Good road presence
+ 3rd row is adequate
+ Luggage space when 3rd row is up

Cons:
- 88 weeks waiting period
- Ingress / Egress into 3rd row is difficult
- Basic comforts missing (auto dimming IRVM / ventilated seats)

It's nuts that I have to wait 2 years due to a chip shortage. In 2 years there will be 2 new generations of cars already launched. What is Mahindra thinking here?

3. Tata Safari XTA+

Pros:
+ Good space
+ Good road presence

Cons:
- No luggage space
- Dated entertainment console

Other considerations / eliminations

4. MG Hector Plus

No AT in top end trim or in 48V Hybrid / Diesel

5. Suzuki XL6

I've had an Ertiga in the past and liked it, but this model is 3 years dated.
- Dated engine
- No sunroof
- No bells and whistles

Also this is the reason I want a well powered car. With 2 adults + 2 kids + luggage, this car struggled to climb a hill in Kodai upon a cold start. Was scary when I couldn't drive forward (esp on a turn). After warming up for 5-10 mins, it was able to pull easily.

6. Kia Carens

Unsure of this. Would be the same as Alcazar and has a smaller sunroof.

7. Innova Crysta

Old, but Timeless vehicle. Had to consider this due to the space on offer, 3rd row comfort and luggage space. But there isn't any sunroof and my kids will be very disappointed - they've asked for it for the last 4 years.

-------------

I tried to up my budget to 30L, but the bigger ones (Kodiak, Gloster) have very bad 3rd row seats, so that defeats the purpose. Fortuner Legender doesn't seem to have a sunroof.

What am I not considering?
herculesksp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 09:07   #57
One
BHPian

Re: Need help on deciding the right 7-seater

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
6. Kia Carens

Unsure of this. Would be the same as Alcazar and has a smaller sunroof.
Completely different car from Alcazar in terms of space and (petrol) engine, but yes, that sun roof is barely fitted as a tick mark in the top variant. You will appreciate the space though in this.

Quote:
What am I not considering?
The XL7 will most probably launch this year but you have already experienced the engine which is expected to be the same.

In the used segment, with your budget upto ₹30L for a car with sunroof, a 3.2 Endeavour with sunroof will easily fit, If the kiddos are ok without sunroof, then a used Fortuner will fit as well upto 2018 or if direct seller and a bit lucky, upto 2019 vintage (my city prices).

Check the Alcazar space again if the sunroof is critical, it is not Carens/ Innova territory but I think folks upto 5'7" can sit for few hours in relative comfort. For shorter drives, even I can manage in that row.

Last edited by One : 8th February 2022 at 09:16.
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 09:36   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
Hi all,

The last time I was in the market to buy a car, T-BHP swayed me towards Baleno CVT which I ended up purchasing and have a good run with in the last 4 years.

This time again I need help since I am very confused with which car I should be considering.

Key Requirements -
1. Seating: Will frequently ferry 5 folks (1 young kid), or occasionally 7 folks.
2. Luggage: I will carry a lot of luggage for 5 folks (getaways), or few bags for 7 folks (city runs)
3. Power: Need to be well powered to handle ghats when fully loaded (5 + luggage)
4. Automatic: Have enjoyed the convenience of AT in traffic enough that I don't want a manual anymore.

4. Sunroof: Demand from the kids due to peer pressure
5. Fully Loaded: I like all bells and whistles in my car, so considering top end variants only.

Considerations:

3. Tata Safari XTA+

Pros:
+ Good space
+ Good road presence

Cons:
- No luggage space
- Dated entertainment console
Hi, why not look for Safari XZA +?

You said you will carry luggage with 5 adults for long highway drives, and with 3rd seats folded, there is a huge space for luggage. 3rd row up is a bit of a problem for luggage but I think it is manageable. I don't get what is not in the entertainment console which is missing apart from minor things. I am sure on long drives you will enjoy the music as it has excellent sound quality. The sunroof is a great one plus 3rd row seat comfort is the best in the segment I feel. The new XZ and above models are now coming with ventilated seats too so that's another feature added. And trust me, it is a powerful vehicle. The sports mode is heavenly!
Gaurav_7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 13:11   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurav_7 View Post
Hi, why not look for Safari XZA +?

You said you will carry luggage with 5 adults for long highway drives, and with 3rd seats folded, there is a huge space for luggage. 3rd row up is a bit of a problem for luggage but I think it is manageable. I don't get what is not in the entertainment console which is missing apart from minor things. I am sure on long drives you will enjoy the music as it has excellent sound quality. The sunroof is a great one plus 3rd row seat comfort is the best in the segment I feel. The new XZ and above models are now coming with ventilated seats too so that's another feature added. And trust me, it is a powerful vehicle. The sports mode is heavenly!
Thanks. I'm a bit spoiled after having driven the XUV700 and the Alcazar. The safari while having good equipment, has a smallish screen and is missing the 360 mirrors which I found quite useful in the other two.

Agree on the 3rd row seat being best in segment. It is spacious enough for a well built adult.
Old 9th August 2022, 10:36   #60

Confused! Hyundai Alcazar or Tata Harrier or Hyundai Creta?

Dear fellow BHPians,

This is my first ever post on this forum and have been an avid reader of the numerous threads and posts that everyone posts here and trust me, its mighty insightful!

The reason I write to all of you is with a hope that my dilemma of looking for options for a new car can be put to rest. I am based out of Mumbai and my first and current drive is a 2012 Hyundai i20 Magna (O) Petrol manual, which has been a trustworthy partner, with no mechanical failures or hang-ups of any kind since purchased. It has also managed to partially drown in the notorious Mumbai rains but somehow managed to spring back. While emotionally attached, I would now like to upgrade and move on and therefore, my choice of a new vehicle is spread across segments. For starters, the vehicles I have been laying my eyes on the road have been as under, in no particular order of preference. I believe a used car has always made financial sense and therefore, I'm looking to get a used vehicle which has not been driven much.

1. Hyundai Alcazar Signature Diesel AT;
2. Tata Harrier XZA Plus (incl editions) AT;
3. Hyundai Creta SX(O) Diesel AT;
4. Skoda Octavia (older version); preferable Diesel AT; and
5. Skoda Superb (older version); preferably Diesel AT.

My drive to work atleast 2-3 times a week, considering the hybrid work models being adopted, is approximately 55 kms to and fro and therefore, have been thinking of moving to diesel. Also, I have driven a petrol vehicle all my life and therefore, I was thinking of experiencing the much famed diesel torque and overall sound of a diesel engine. Should you think petrol is more desirable considering my distance to work and back, please let me know.
My driving skills seem pretty fine, since my current drive gives me a mileage of approx 12-13 with AC in Mumbai traffic with around 16 on highways. In any case, my drives on the highway have been mostly on the Expressway to Pune and some moderately rare drives to Vadodara, Ahmedabad and Delhi for leisure.

The reason of choosing the aforementioned vehicles are as under:

1. Alcazar - high GC - feature loaded and refined diesel engine
2. Harrier - high GC - sheer muscle and road-presence - don't know about the engine yet
3. Creta - fairly high GC - feature loaded and a smaller version of Alcazar
4. Octavia - not driven yet but safety of a European car and couple features including auto-park fascinated me
5. Superb - family owned one and while it turned out to be a white elephant due to frequent breakdowns, I hope Skoda has upped their game and the vehicle looks striking nonetheless.

The above clearly indicates my spread across segments but I have been clear on having a vehicle with a higher GC, specially after my i20 getting soaked till its floor in the rains. Also, my current drive makes me feel as if I'm sitting on the road and driving and therefore, would now like to upgrade to something that gives me a better view and a higher seating position. Now you may wonder why are Skodas being featured if a vehicle with aforementioned criteria are being looked for - one simple reason - the space and looks! Also, I have been unable to determine the actual GC both Skodas offer. While on the road, they seem fine, I will appreciate if I could be given some inputs on their actual GC. I know these two, being sedans, wouldn't have GC anywhere close to the other three SUVs.

While I have a family 6, we live in different places and therefore, it is rare that all of us are travelling in the same car. Usually, its just 2, 3 or max 4 of us. However, boot space is something we usually require since there's a baby in the house as well so baby bags etc. Therefore, an Alcazar 7 seat with the third row fold down gives ample bootspace as have seen in a friend's vehicle. I do not know much about the other two SUVs. Skoda I know has huge bootspace.

With this longish and rather scatter-brained post, I hope to receive some insights on how I should proceed to zeroing my purchase. Any other vehicle that I may have missed and you feel should be in the list would be welcomed.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks