Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What should I get for 15 lakhs?
Used Jeep Compass 113 59.16%
A New Car 78 40.84%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2021, 13:21   #16
anb
BHPian

Re: Used Jeep Compass vs New City / Creta / Kushaq

Jeep Compass is a decent upgrade. If you are not particular about SUVs, used VW Jetta TDI/ Skoda Octavia are also worthy upgrade to a Fiesta.
anb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 14:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend to go for the Compass (used) only if the Seller is trustworthy (i.e. either you know the seller personally, OR someone you know can vouch for it).

Secondly, before you go ahead with the deal, make sure you get the vehicle inspected by an 'expert' mechanic.

Lastly, You could acquire a paint thickness meter, and you can use it identify if the vehicle has been re-painted.
Old 1st August 2021, 08:44   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
I would recommend to go for the Compass (used) only if the Seller is trustworthy (i.e. either you know the seller personally, OR someone you know can vouch for it).

Secondly, before you go ahead with the deal, make sure you get the vehicle inspected by an 'expert' mechanic.

Lastly, You could acquire a paint thickness meter, and you can use it identify if the vehicle has been re-painted.
The seller is a very renowned dealer in Bombay. I've already got the inspection done at Jeep service center and the 60k service was done too. I had direct access to the dealership so was able to speak to the SA personally. He confirmed that the car was in top shape. No mechanicals having any issue.
All necessary fluids and parts were changed as part of the 60k service.

Thanks GTO, for adding a poll. Overwhelmed to see the scale tilting in favor of the Jeep Compass. I'm expected to finalize the deal soon.

Mod Note : Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. JC, ANHC, MS, T-Fort, ANHV) when referring to cars or their makers. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Thanks for the support & understanding

Last edited by Aditya : 1st August 2021 at 12:07. Reason: See mod note
adneeraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 11:06   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneeraj View Post
Thanks GTO, for adding a poll. Overwhelmed to see the scale tilting in favor of the Jeep Compass. I'm expected to finalize the deal soon.
If you are getting a well maintained 4x4 Compass - nothing like it. Do be mindful of long term ownership / Mopar costs etc for a wholistic decision (I'm sure you must have done so already).

Since good power & solid build are your key requirements - you should TD a diesel XUV3oo or Nexon as well. These are quite capable powerful little things on budget. Of course - not even remotely comparable to a Compass - but in case they pull the right strings, you might end up saving a bit. (If petrol is what you want - then ignore this suggestion altogether .)

Last edited by Reinhard : 2nd August 2021 at 11:14. Reason: typo
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 11:18   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
If you are getting a well maintained 4x4 Compass - nothing like it. Do be mindful of long term ownership / Mopar costs etc for a wholistic decision (I'm sure you must have done so already).

Since good power & solid builds are your key requirements - you should TD a diesel XUV3oo or Nexon as well. These are quite capable powerful little things on budget. Of course - not even remotely comparable to a Compass - but in case they pull the right strings, you might end up saving a bit. (If petrol is what you want - then ignore this suggestion altogether .)
I've done some homework about the service costs and I'm okay with it. Only worry is the major part replacement costs and the wait time associated with it.

Not going into sub 4 meter cars. Just hate them for their looks. Ecosport is the only one that I can consider but that's in the market for too long already. None of those that you mentioned or the Ecosport have the aspiration factor associated with it for me
Old 2nd August 2021, 13:20   #21

Quote:
Hello fellow BHPians
====
Heart says Jeep Compass but wife says she'd love if I got a new car. My brain has shut off
Jeep Compass is indeed a very good choice at this price point. If you want to buy new cars only, you may test drive Duster / Kicks 1.3 Turbo. At this price point, they won't disappoint you for power and ride quality / handling balance.
nimz_blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 13:30   #22
BHPian

A second hand car with 60 K on odometer should be strict NO in our country .Will lead to a lot of maintenance for the next 60 K and a further drop in resale when selling it .
Do go for an new one.
Old 2nd August 2021, 15:15   #23
BHPian

15L is handsome budget for preowned as well as new car
You are looking for Fiesta Upgrade | Power | Quality Interiors | Avoiding Discontinued Cars

My Pick would be Skoda Octavia 18.TSI

Pros
- Skodas depreciate quickly, so its always a delight to own preowned Skoda (Octavia in this case)
- You can get a 3 year old in your budget
- 1.8TSI - 175 HP - 250NM : Best engine, driving dynamics among all available options
- Superb Interiors / Build Quality : Again the best among all available options
- Drivers Car to Drivers Car Upgrade

Cons
- Costly to maintain if you do-not have right network in auto sector
- Ground clearance (if you are off roading person)

Other preowned options
- Compass (you have already evaluated, my second choice after Octavia)
- New Civic (my third choice, but discontinued)
- Tucson (explore this if you can stretch a little)
- Innova (not sure if you are open to this, 2.8 AT is punchy a Innova will be worth spending that amount)
- Harrier (TATA ?)
- Elantra / Corolla (No match for Octavia)

New Car Options
- Duster Turbo 1.3 (going to discontinue)
- Celtos / Creta (not drivers Car)
- EcoSport/ Nexon/ Venue/ Sonet (not much of an upgrade)
Asoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 03:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

Buy a used Jeep Compass

- switch to a better looking fat tyres and alloys
- remap that sweet 2L diesel and make the monster out of an angel!

I’m sure you’d be satisfied with some more moolah in your pocket atleast if I get a chance, I’d surely go all guns blazing towards compass!
gururajrv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 08:04   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, a humble request!

Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. JC, ANHC, MS, T-Fort, ANHV) when referring to cars or their makers. Use the full Make & Model name instead. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Thanks for the support & understanding
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 09:45   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asoon View Post
My Pick would be Skoda Octavia 18.TSI

Other preowned options
- Compass (you have already evaluated, my second choice after Octavia)
- New Civic (my third choice, but discontinued)
- Tucson (explore this if you can stretch a little)
- Innova (not sure if you are open to this, 2.8 AT is punchy a Innova will be worth spending that amount)
- Harrier (TATA ?)
- Elantra / Corolla (No match for Octavia)

New Car Options
- Duster Turbo 1.3 (going to discontinue)
- Celtos / Creta (not drivers Car)
- EcoSport/ Nexon/ Venue/ Sonet (not much of an upgrade)
I had the Octavia on my radar for a while. But it is really a pain to hear the underbody scraping on our infamous speed breakers. I'll try post a pic where my Fiesta had almost turned into a see saw.

The Harrier is too big for my liking. Tucson doesn't have the heart driving dynamics IMO. Besides, we already have a Hyundai in our garage. Those cars just look too similar on the inside.
Also not looking for a 6-7 seater so the Innova is ruled out. It's huge too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Buy a used Jeep Compass

- switch to a better looking fat tyres and alloys
- remap that sweet 2L diesel and make the monster out of an angel!

I’m sure you’d be satisfied with some more moolah in your pocket atleast if I get a chance, I’d surely go all guns blazing towards compass!
Haha.. I certainly would think about a remap once I get used to the power on offer. It's already a full 100 bhp more than my current ride. I'm sure I won't feel the urge right away.

Meanwhile, poll scale almost balancing.. Its that going to be a nail biting finish?
adneeraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:28   #27
BHPian

The right question IMHO is: How wrong can you be with a 3y old Jeep Compass that you scouted around for and finalized?

There's a reason "Blink" is a best-seller. There's a reason for elevator pitches. I firmly believe most good/ correct decisions are taken instantly, "from the heart". You have 2 cars, 1 of which is obviously a decision from the heart - how did that turn out? Also, no offence to anyone, but a Creta instead of a Compass? Really?

Now for the ownership pics...
DrSumit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 13:18   #28

According to your budget, you should take a look at the Maruti XL6, or the new Mahindra Bolero Neo, you will surprised at how good these 2 are. Yes, Maruti's build quality is not great but when you buy a car as large as XL6 safety is automatically there because of the size.

I would suggest you to not go for a used Jeep Compass, first you can never be a 100% sure and second any maintenance of a Jeep will be on the higher side and as you said most of the cars you saw are out of warranty.

You do have a fairly good budget, please look at the cars under this price and you will find yourself a good car.
Old 3rd August 2021, 15:04   #29
BHPian

Quote:
I had the Octavia on my radar for a while. But it is really a pain to hear the underbody scraping on our infamous speed breakers. I'll try post a pic where my Fiesta had almost turned into a see saw.

The Harrier is too big for my liking. Tucson doesn't have the heart driving dynamics IMO. Besides, we already have a Hyundai in our garage. Those cars just look too similar on the inside.
Also not looking for a 6-7 seater so the Innova is ruled out. It's huge too.
I think you have locked into "Love of your Ride"
Go for the Compass, just make sure your are getting it from a credible source and clean service history.
Old 3rd August 2021, 21:25   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSumit View Post
The right question IMHO is: How wrong can you be with a 3y old Jeep Compass that you scouted around for and finalized?

There's a reason "Blink" is a best-seller. There's a reason for elevator pitches. I firmly believe most good/ correct decisions are taken instantly, "from the heart". You have 2 cars, 1 of which is obviously a decision from the heart - how did that turn out? Also, no offence to anyone, but a Creta instead of a Compass? Really?

Now for the ownership pics...
I guess that's what is going to happen!
To your question, my decision on the Fiesta hasn't gone all bad at all. I've enjoyed every moment I've driven the car. Took her to far and long places - some really challenging ones like the 36 hairpin bends enroute Ooty. It has been an awesome car for what I got it for and has only given me good memories. It has started to show its age and comfort, NVH stick out sorely. Hate to say it, but the Grand i10 has better front seat comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asoon View Post
I think you have locked into "Love of your Ride"
Go for the Compass, just make sure your are getting it from a credible source and clean service history.
Clean service history - verified and a thorough inspection done on it at a Jeep service center. Dealer got the 60k service done at his end. I verified with the Jeep Service Centers on their system and they confirmed it was done thoroughly - no skimping there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks