Team-BHP - New Mahindra XUV7OO vs Used Mahindra XUV5OO vs Used Tata Hexa
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   New Mahindra XUV7OO vs Used Mahindra XUV5OO vs Used Tata Hexa (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/241358-new-mahindra-xuv7oo-vs-used-mahindra-xuv5oo-vs-used-tata-hexa.html)

Hello BHPians, I am seeking some help from you all to arrive at proper decision on my next car.

Background

I currently own pre-owned Duster 85PS which is now doing 40K on ODO. I bought this car in 2018 when it was just 8500 kms on ODO. It's a very practical car and I am pretty happy with this.
After 3 years of use, now I am thinking of another car.

Reasons for Changing

1. RxL Explorer edition Duster doesn't have ABS. The stock brakes aren't confidence inspiring and few encounters is now pushing me for change.
2. Recent crash tests show that Duster is not good in terms of safety. I was always under assumption that Duster is well built. To be frank, I never researched about Duster safety article at all. It is only the recent news published in Team-BHP caught my attention.
3. From past one year, I am experiencing left leg pain after drive. Damn! that clutch makes it more worse. This is not frequent issue and but it's something which irritates me.

Requirements

1. I need occasional seven seater (last row mainly for kids). We are family of 9. Out of which, 6 are Adults and 3 are Kids. All 9 people will only be either for day trip or city rounds and hence boot space is not concern here. For highway, mostly it will be 5 people and hence i can fold the last row seats for boot space.
2. I would like to go for bigger diesel engines and this time preferably Automatic.
3. Safer car than my Duster.
4. Compliant ride quality especially when you already owner of Duster.

Shortlists (Open for suggestions)

1. The new XUV7OO. The lower prices of MX variant has actually caught my attention. What if I get MX variant with seven seater and diesel AT at affordable price? Isn't it worthy? I am assuming MX seven seater with diesel AT (if offered), it will be priced around 15 lakhs on road which is a good deal.
2. Used Mahindra XUV5OO diesel AT. Mostly my plan is to pick the models after 2016. I see in Bangalore, the price of used XUV ranges from 12.5-15 lakhs.
3. Recent XUV5OO facelift 2018+ model which has increased power 155PS are also available. I might get used W7/W9 automatic which might again fall at same price mentioned earlier (12-15 lakhs) since these are just 3 year old models. I am already discussing in India garage Bangalore outlets about used XUV5OO cars. Sales team suspect that 65% of new XUV7OO sales will come from exchanging old XUV5OO. It raised my eyebrows and asked team to contact me if they come across good model.
3. Used TATA Hexa diesel AT. Superior ride quality and perfect diesel AT. I am just keeping this car as second choice purely in terms of looks. I prefer XUV anyday than Hexa.

5OO retains its value well in the used car market, good ones wont come cheap. Remaining stock of 5OO were all ATs as of last month, not sure how it is now. I would recommend you wait till October, variant to variant I do not expect 7OO to be cheaper than 5OO but expensive by how much is the question.

More than anything else, a test drive in October should add some additional motivation :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosfactor (Post 5140257)
5OO retains its value well in the used car market, good ones wont come cheap. Remaining stock of 5OO were all ATs as of last month, not sure how it is now. I would recommend you wait till October, variant to variant I do not expect 7OO to be cheaper than 5OO but expensive by how much is the question.

More than anything else, a test drive in October should add some additional motivation :)

You are right that 5OO retains it's price in used market. Even the used car sales team said so. But they also predicted that after a year or so, used XUV5OO prices will drop further.

I also understood that there are new W11 AT variant stock in plant but not sure how Mahindra want to sell them. A month back there were several W7 and W9 AT cars which were sold with almost 1.5-2 lakhs discount.

Yes, I will wait till October and I am actually in no hurry. I would like to test drive XUV7OO and at the same time would keep updated myself with used XUV5OO too.

Don't buy the XUV500 for sure. It's a 10-year old model now and will feel outdated soon, just like your Duster feels today.

My suggestion:

- New & you have the budget = drive your Duster for another year or two as she is still very young @ 40,000 km, give Mahindra time to iron out all the niggles and then buy the XUV700. It seems to be one heck of an SUV. Read this thread of mine, get the right car (even if more expensive) and enjoy it for 10 years - link to article.

- Used & you want to save money = Buy a used Tata Hexa AT. The AT is brilliant, while the MT is clunky & cumbersome. You could also do a nice lateral upgrade to a used Hexa AT and keep it just for 2 - 3 years, finally buying a nice new XUV700. But seriously, wait for Mahindra to iron out all the teething issues. Don't take up a job as an unofficial tester for them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRAND23 (Post 5140239)
Shortlists (Open for suggestions)

1. The new XUV7OO. The lower prices of MX variant has actually caught my attention. What if I get MX variant with seven seater and diesel AT at affordable price? Isn't it worthy? I am assuming MX seven seater with diesel AT (if offered), it will be priced around 15 lakhs on road which is a good deal.

This is THE no brainer option in my view. Its latest, you can hold it on for the longest duration. A mid level variant in Diesel AT is stunning value. You can add a roof carrier as well if it doesnt have a sun roof so you have 3 row seating plus luggage optionality should that be desired in future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 5140700)
Don't buy the XUV500 for sure. It's a 10-year old model now and will feel outdated soon, just like your Duster feels today.

My suggestion:

- New & you have the budget = drive your Duster for another year or two as she is still very young @ 40,000 km, give Mahindra time to iron out all the niggles and then buy the XUV700. It seems to be one heck of an SUV.

- Used & you want to save money = Buy a used Tata Hexa AT. The AT is brilliant, while the MT is clunky & cumbersome. You could also do a nice lateral upgrade to a used Hexa AT and keep it just for 2 - 3 years, finally buying a nice new XUV700. But seriously, wait for Mahindra to iron out all the teething issues. Don't take up a job as an unofficial tester for them.

I agree with you GTO. Isn't the story will be same for Hexa too? It might also feel outdated soon, may be after 2-3 years?

The prime reason I am going for used is I am single earner in family and I want to save money without compromising my driving passion. By the way, I am big fan of your used car article and I have to admit that after reading your article I bought pre-owned Duster. Many thanks to you. :thumbs up

As I said earlier, Duster is practical and serving my purpose and can hold on to it for another 2-3 years.

Option-1: I can wait for XUV7OO to sort the niggles out. I am assuming next facelift of 7OO will have better version of car and ofcourse with increased cost. In this option, I need to shell out big chunk of my savings.
Option-2: Used Hexa Diesel AT. Get a good one and hold on to it for another 4-5 years.
Option-3: How about retaining Duster for long drive and buy beater car for usage within city. Hyundai Casper AT or TATA Punch AT or Gi10 AT?

I am back with new query and as always I share it with my community to get the best answer.

Here is the situation.

I recently test drove the Nexon EV and MG ZS EV for my cousin. I wasn't having plan to test drive EV anytime soon, but the situations made me to visit showroom.
After test driving the car, the very first thing I got out of my mind was that "EV's are boring and we are still far to own EV's". It was so fun to drive Nexon EV and MG ZS EV that I felt like owning one.
Yes, you are right that now I fall under that "convert" category. Well, this also made me to think that should I really a buy a new ICE engine with rising fuel cost? Heck, now I am spoiled after driving EV cars. lol:

After government is going gaga everywhere stating that pollutants will have to pay more, which means fuel cost will not see downward graph anytime soon. Is it good time to consider EV's?

My driving would be 70% city and 30% highways.

Option-1: Retain Duster for long drives and buy new Nexon EV or MG for city usage.
Option-2: Sell Duster (will be used for downpayment) and buy new Nexon EV or MG.
Option-3: Buy used AT Hexa (as mentioned above by GTO)

Ofcourse, I have to compromise on seven seater option.

Also, not sure yet whether to go for Nexon or MG EV as I am too new for this field.

I am also concerned about battery life. Currently TATA is offering 8 years validity for battery but what happens after 8 years is something TATA sales guys are not answering. I think we might have to wait until few EV's finish 8 years life cycle. If suppose we might have to change battery after 8 years then that would be huge cost (2~4 lakhs) and there wouldn't be any significant cost saving by choosing EV. Do we?

As schools are re-opening in Bangalore and offices are setting up for employees to return, I will have to drive more within city. Keeping this is mind I need to make some sensible decision.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 5140700)

My suggestion:

- New & you have the budget = drive your Duster for another year or two as she is still very young @ 40,000 km, give Mahindra time to iron out all the niggles and then buy the XUV700. It seems to be one heck of an SUV. Read this thread of mine, get the right car (even if more expensive) and enjoy it for 10 years - link to article.

Hello there!

So I'm in a similar situation as GRAND23 (in that I'm looking to upgrade my 2005 - Pre-owned - Corolla. I love it, but it is ageing AND we are going to be a family of 6 soon...). I originally had a budget of about 13-15lacs, but am finding that all the SUV variants I'd probably be OK with in terms of creature comforts go beyond that budget and was therefore thinking about the good ol' pre-worshipped route.

My question: Is the Hexa still worth it given the current situation with the car? I'll probably post a more detailed thread seeking advice once I do some more research and short-list the ones I want - but I couldn't find a good answer on whether the Hexa is still a good bet and if so - what model / year should I look at picking up to really make the most out of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bingeljell (Post 5187522)
My question: Is the Hexa still worth it given the current situation with the car? I'll probably post a more detailed thread seeking advice once I do some more research and short-list the ones I want - but I couldn't find a good answer on whether the Hexa is still a good bet and if so - what model / year should I look at picking up to really make the most out of it.

XTA is the only model in Hexa you should be looking at.

On the pre-owned route, do consider alternatives including Innova, Ertiga, XUV. All these three are practical top sellers in their segment and totally worth the premium they command in the used car segment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosfactor (Post 5187544)
XTA is the only model in Hexa you should be looking at.

On the pre-owned route, do consider alternatives including Innova, Ertiga, XUV. All these three are practical top sellers in their segment and totally worth the premium they command in the used car segment.

Thanks for the input! I actually did consider the Ertiga - wasn't really considering the Innova / XUV 500 (I'm assuming you mean pre-owned XUV 500?) - especially given what GTO also posted a few posts earlier.

I'll post a more detailed thread in the coming weeks as I do my research because I'm trying to solve for a 6 member family (4 kids) - whilst trying to retain SOME semblance of my love for driving (and manhood rl: ) and I'm still not convinced that an SUV is the only way - maybe the bigger sedans? I know I can stretch to about 15 lacs and I'm all open for pre-owned / worshipped cars. I'm just so unsure at the moment.

Your family is big, and the kids are growing. Even the Hexa, as good as it is, will prove tight in the long run. My take is that you keep driving the Duster for now, and look for a pre owned Kia Carnival. That is the only car which can actually accommodate the great Indian family and also have boot space for weekend luggage. I don’t think other cars will cut it for you.

Keep in mind that all these cars are depreciation disasters, so they make sense only if you hold on to them for 7-10 years. Consider your space requirements over that long a time period and then decide if a 5+2 seater is enough or if a genuine 7 seat vehicle will be needed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bingeljell (Post 5187826)
I'll post a more detailed thread in the coming weeks as I do my research because I'm trying to solve for a 6 member family (4 kids) - whilst trying to retain SOME semblance of my love for driving (and manhood rl: ) and I'm still not convinced that an SUV is the only way - maybe the bigger sedans?

In a 5+2\3 setup like an MPV \ Crossover SUV you get individual seats which is always an advantage over a sedan. Test drive preowned Hexa, Innova, XUV & Ertiga to see which gives you the best balance of family man + driving enthusiast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRAND23 (Post 5141012)
Option-1: I can wait for XUV7OO to sort the niggles out. I am assuming next facelift of 7OO will have better version of car and ofcourse with increased cost. In this option, I need to shell out big chunk of my savings.
Option-2: Used Hexa Diesel AT. Get a good one and hold on to it for another 4-5 years.
Option-3: How about retaining Duster for long drive and buy beater car for usage within city. Hyundai Casper AT or TATA Punch AT or Gi10 AT?

I was in the same boat last year. was looking for a Hexa AT, was not able to get a good Example and bought a XUV500 W7AT.

XUV 700 -- Wait for atleast an year, for the niggles to be sorted out . Xuv 500 is over 10 years and there many niggles with this car still, so you can imagine how the new product will be given M&M's Quality.
Hexa AT : If you get a good example of it , yes. but its is discontinued. Also do a test drive, Steering is a bit on the heavier side.
Xuv500 : AT is smooth. Dont compare the ride quality of Duster to this, you will be utterly disappointed. Last Row is Strictly for Kids, middle row is wide enough to accommodate 3 or 4 slim people for quick city runs.

Would rather suggest you to look for an Innova (initial investment would be on the higher side but you will blessed not to go to service center every month) or keep the duster, buy a beater car, save more money and buy a big one after 3-4 years.

Best of Luck

Thanks Guys for all your comments. clap:

I will go as per your suggestions. I can live with Duster for another 2 years or so.
After few years, I think chip shortage issue will get sorted out and also we might get better clarity from government on ethanol and electric cars future strategy.

Currently used market too looks very expensive.

Hello Folks!

I am in a similar fix.

I have a requirement to go for a 7 seater now. My primary concern is safety, reliability and a tad bit "good mileage(~10-12 KMPL is ok)".

I am not planning for a new one because of budget. can spend around 13L.

I have two vehicles available on Spinny.

1. XUV 5OO W10 (2017 Model) automatic. mileage is ~57000Km and has 2 owners already. I took a test drive and the vehicle runs really good. checked it with gomechanic and he has given a thumbs up.
Price Rs 13.26

2. Tata Hexa XTA (2018 Model). mileage is approx 24000Km. Same as XUV, I took a test drive and the vehicle runs really good. my mother was real happy in the middle seat :-) . checked it with gomechanic and he has given a thumbs up.
Price Rs 13.24

On a personal note, I liked the driveability of Hexa over XUV.

Now that both models are discontinued my concern is:

1. Should i really go for discontinued vehicles or looks for good used 7 seaters.
2. Which one will be easier to maintain (as in availability of parts in case of repairs).
3. In general based on your rich experience, which one would you chose if you were me?