Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2021, 16:44   #16
BHPian

Re: Which Compact SUV / Crossover to buy | Or should I wait?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
1. True and its going to serve as a beater car for its RC span easily.

2. True just watch out for the DPF issues if any and honestly I am not a fan of AMTs.

And I think wait out for some time and your original plan could be back on track.

3. That's the spirit and as "they" say Godspeed
Yes, DPF issues are my concern. Not just with the XUV300 but also with the Thar.
Petorl AT Thar's single digit fuel economy is not much of a worry but its the shortened tank range that is a concern. Also the poor resale value of Petrol SUVs in general. Its just the idea people have, Our First car, Hyundai Grand i10 petrol would return single digit fuel economy number in city traffic, but people won't be bothered. But a Big SUV even if it returns a properly respectable number of 10-11 kmpl, will be a big No from them.

DPF issues have levelled out the field now.
Either get a petrol variant, low fuel economy and low range or get a Diesel variant, DPF clogging and other issues.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 15th September 2021 at 16:47.
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 17:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
1. Our First car, Hyundai Grand i10 petrol would return single digit fuel economy number in city traffic, but people won't be bothered. But a Big SUV even if it returns a properly respectable number of 10-11 kmpl, will be a big No from them.

2. DPF issues have levelled out the field now.
Either get a petrol variant, low fuel economy and low range or get a Diesel variant, DPF clogging and other issues.
1. Very true. The 800cc Matiz gave us 10-12kmpl city 18-22kmpl highway, the 1000cc wagonR gives us 12-13kmpl city and 16-17 highway and a friend's 1200cc Tiago gives him 14 city and 18-19 highway.
Also a friend who recently got the i20 1.2 MT wasn't concerned about the FE, he said it will be better than his i10 automatic

2. True, since I never liked diesels and have a personal bias against them apart from trucks and buses, I don't have that dilemma

Last edited by shancz : 15th September 2021 at 17:23. Reason: corr
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 23:08   #18
BHPian

Just sharing few of my thoughts

There is not much choice if I look out for a Torque Convertor Automatic SUV with good Safety rating.
1. Maruti offers an old school 4 speed AT.

2. Mahindra has AMT in XUV300 , although I can live with an AMT but after deciding to pay nearly 15 lakhs, AMTs are just not justified IMHO.

3. Kia and Hyundai have iMT, which are more or less, AMTs and safety ratings are doubtful.

Mahindra Thar makes more sense, because it has a 6 speed Torque Convertor AT in both Petrol and Diesel. 4x4 and 4 star safety rating. Although for family usage, Thar might not be the car. But for weekend family trips, Thar should be manageable.

Orelse have to step up from Sub 4 meter segment to the Hyundai Creta CVT or Seltos CVT due to lack of any other option.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 15th September 2021 at 23:12.
Old 16th September 2021, 19:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

Some inputs, queries and suggestions:
Plan A : Ecosport replaced with a Thar, Beater : Celerio AMT
Plan B : Celerio replaced with a CSUV 14.5 lakhs on road max, Beater : Ecosport AT
Plan C : Celerio gets replaced with the Thar, Beater : Ecosport AT but budget issues

Inputs:
- Skip any AMTs, spending anything over 7-8 lakhs shouldn't be on an AMT.
- Retain the Celerio as a beater, nothing else will beat it.

Listing out prices of some SUVs, in lakhs, on road Dibrugarh to keep perpective:
- Brezza ZXi P AT : 12.01
- XL6 Alpha P AT : 13.37
- S-Cross Alpha P AT : 14.15
- Seltos HTK+ 1.5 D AT : 15.97
- Creta SX 1.5 P CVT : 17.64
- Creta SX 1.5 D TC : 18.71
- Thar LX HardTop P AT : 16.98
- Thar LX HardTop D AT : 17.24
- Harrier XMA D AT : 19.69

Queries :
1. You said your parents would like the XL so my question is if you are replacing the Ecosport with Thar then getting into Thar's rear seat will be a task for them no ?
2. Your Thar Diesel AT will cost you 17.3 lakhs on road Dibrugarh and Plan B already sanctions a budget of 14.5 lakhs for a CSUV. Doesn't seem like that big a difference considering the amounts involved.

Suggestions :
- I would suggest to first finalize whether the new car will be used to ferry your family around and on highways too. If yes then the Thar loses out on this front. Larger SUVs will fare much better. What you need here is a 5 door Thar, willing to wait for it ? Watch out for the new Scorpio launch rumored around Diwali.
- Since you've booked the Thar, you really seem to want it. In that case keep the Ecosport as the all rounder car and Thar for getaways. There's a high chance that it will eventually end up being the case. But can the Ecosport replace the Celerio as a beater in your use case is something you've to try out?

Based on the above queries and suggestions hope you are able to set your priorities and finalize the next car. Next would be to figure out when to buy it.
shancz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 20:04   #20
BHPian

If I were you, I will prefer to go for Plan-C, i.e, I would suggest you to replace the Celerio with Thar AT, which you are dreaming for since long time and keep the Ecosport for family usage.

Or else, replace the Celerio with a C-SUV you like. Since comfort is important, I would suggest you have a look at Creta, which might be expensive, but has better rear seat comfort and space as well as better tuned suspension, specially for elders. Apart from Creta, I would suggest you have a look at S-Cross as well.
car_guy1998 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 21:46   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Inputs:
- Skip any AMTs, spending anything over 7-8 lakhs shouldn't be on an AMT.

Queries :
1. Getting into Thar's rear seat will be a task for them no ?
2. Your Thar Diesel AT will cost you 17.3 lakhs on road Dibrugarh and Plan B already sanctions a budget of 14.5 lakhs for a CSUV. Doesn't seem like that big a difference considering the amounts involved.

- But can the Ecosport replace the Celerio as a beater in your use case is something you've to try out?
Thanks for your inputs. I am considering some points which I can compromise to finalize a car. AMT is a complete no, so that drops out the XUV300 unless Mahindra plonks a 6 Speed Torque Convertor AT in it. I would buy it instantly.
Are you listening Mahindra?

- My Parents have not been in lot many cars. They do like high, upright seating position and to be driven around sedately at upto speeds of 70 kmph, not more. Although my Father and Mother have a hard time deciding who gets to sit in the front seat.
So,I have decided to take them to the Mahindra Dealership to check out the Thar. They will like the seating position in the Thar, but the ingress and egress is a concern.
Personally, I would have loved to retain the Ecosport AT and also the Celerio, but won't be feasible. I know, XL6 would impress my parents with its captain seats. Also the 4 speed AT will not be fast accelerating like the Ecosport.
However, they do have concerns about the light build quality of Maruti Suzuki cars, partly because of the Celerio ownership and partly because I tell them about crash test results.
The Creta or the Seltos with Biege interiors will impress, even without the Biege, it will be liked by them but again the safety rating of the Seltos is a compromise.

- If only, I could work out the Downpayment and EMIs, I would love to go with the Thar. Lets see. I will wait and re-evaluate all the criteria before the big purchase.

- Ecosport as the beater car is doable. I tried using it for my fairly short daily commute but I soon reverted back to the Celerio because of its smaller size. I just didn't want battle scars on the Ecosport like the Celerio. But if no choice left, I can use the Ecosport for the daily commute. Even the Thar would be a good daily commuter. Although I will try getting it Line-x or PU coated (Bumpers and side Claddings) If I happen to own a Thar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
1. If I were you, I will prefer to go for Plan-C, i.e, I would suggest you to replace the Celerio with Thar AT, which you are dreaming for since long time and keep the Ecosport for family usage.

2. Replace the Celerio with a C-SUV you like. Since comfort is important, I would suggest you have a look at Creta, which might be expensive, but has better rear seat comfort and space as well as better tuned suspension, specially for elders. Apart from Creta, I would suggest you have a look at S-Cross as well.
1. Would love to get the Thar and keep the Ecosport. Would be an awesome garage. But bank account and car loan facility will say otherwise

2. Although I don't want to replace the Celerio but If no choice, it has to go and will add a CSUV instead of the Thar. Creta is pretty expensive for me but I do agree, its a good enough car to choose.

Planning to visit a Nexa Dealership to see the S-Cross and XL6 along with my parents. Although only after they check out the Thar. And then I plan to visit Kia Dealership to check out the Sonet and Seltos.

I have decided not to rush anything this time around. Will take as much time as possible.

Sadly, Few compromises to make:
- 3 star safety rating of Kia Seltos (Kia Sonet and Hyundai Creta won't be scoring very well in GNCAP tests I feel)
- Will end up spending a bit more money on depreciating asset like a car.
- 4 Speed AT with no manual control (If I end up with the Marutis) over the 6 Speed AT with Paddle Shifters in the Ecosport.
- Not to forget, If I do retain the Ecosport AT, Servicing and spare parts availability might be an issue in the near future.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 16th September 2021 at 22:01.
dr_TJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 22:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. However, they do have concerns about the light build quality of Maruti Suzuki cars

2. The Creta or the Seltos with Biege interiors will impress, even without the Biege, it will be liked by them but again the safety rating of the Seltos is a compromise.
1. S-Cross although not GNCAP tested is a Maruti unlike Maruti. Have a feeling it will be liked by your parents.

2. Hyundai has a more sorted, larger service network and experience relative to Kia IMO, but check for your area.
A friend bought the Creta for his parents over the Seltos since they would be travelling to rural/T3 areas often and Hyundai had service centers around but not Kia. This was in addition to their personal liking of the Creta over the Seltos.

Neither the S-Cross or the Creta are GNCAP rated and neither seem interested so can only guess.
Guessing Creta should be a shade better than the Seltos but not much while the S-Cross has got good feedback from owners but no ratings sadly.

Last edited by shancz : 16th September 2021 at 22:49. Reason: appd
Old 17th September 2021, 09:03   #23
BHPian

I am in the same boat and so far we have finalized the Venue(Rear space is not a major concern for us ) Venue iMT is ticking all the boxes for us and the top model with 6 airbags and all the bells and whistles is coming to 13 OTR Punjab.
We are waiting for the Taigun and Astor pricing now, otherwise, the Venue is finalized.
Even the Seltos iMT version is coming to around 13.67 OTR with pretty much all the features an average person needs.
Artyom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 09:08   #24
BHPian

Quote:
1. S-Cross although not GNCAP tested is a Maruti unlike Maruti. Have a feeling it will be liked by your parents.

2. Hyundai has a more sorted, larger service network and experience relative to Kia IMO, but check for your area.
A friend bought the Creta for his parents over the Seltos since they would be travelling to rural/T3 areas often and Hyundai had service centers around but not Kia. This was in addition to their personal liking of the Creta over the Seltos.

Neither the S-Cross or the Creta are GNCAP rated and neither seem interested so can only guess.
Guessing Creta should be a shade better than the Seltos but not much while the S-Cross has got good feedback from owners but no ratings sadly.
1. S-Cross will be similar to the Vitara Brezza, 4 star rated at best. And got some feedback from the owners, the Ride and handling is pretty good. But the premium for a 4 speed AT over the manual option is just Maruti being greedy.
If only Maruti offers some delicious discount on the S-Cross AT, it will be a serious option to buy. Interior wise, its the all black cabin that is not to our liking but if no choice left, would have to install tan or biege leatherette seats over the existing Leatherette seats on the Alpha AT.

2. Kia service center is present in my city, owned by the same owner as Hyundai. So that won't be a problem. In my case, I like the sleeker look of the Seltos over the bigger looking Creta.

Never thought it would be so hard to find a replacement of Ecosport AT with similar features or mechanicals. Ford should really have never left and should have launched a extensively modified Ecosport instead if not a new gen.

Anyone has any idea on the Hyundai-Kia iMTs. Reliability wise? Atleast better than the AMTs? Cause my Celerio AMT off-late has been quite jerky. Although I drive my Celerio AMT in manual mode always.

To be honest, I am a heavy footed driver. Not someone who does 100-120 kmph but someone who likes quick acceleration from Standstill or in-gear acceleration from 30-70 kmph or so. This is the reason I am never comfortable with a CVT or I am worried about a 4 speed AT.

Biggest issue in my place is to get a Test drive of AT cars. Almost impossible. So, I have to rely on BHPians feedback on ATs
dr_TJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 09:20   #25
BHPian

One option that is conspicuous by its absence is the Nexon diesel automatic. It can be a really good daily driver with decent mileage and not too bad an AMT gearbox. Safety and Brand presence are good too. Wondering why this is not an option..

So, sell Celerio now and the ecosport when ever feasible and get the Nexon. In future find another vehicle that satisfies your weekend vehicle requirements, not that the Nexon diesel is any bad on this front.
charanreddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 09:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
someone who likes quick acceleration from Standstill or in-gear acceleration from 30-70 kmph or so.
Since you had mentioned that you're open to a good manual transmission if you like it, I would strongly suggest to explore that.
This will open up a lot of other options as well. At least take a TD and by the nature of your driving it will be easy to figure out.
IMO the most tricky part in a manual is to shift from 1st to 2nd under high load. If any gearbox is easy operate under that situation its good in my books.

Most cars in your list and in that segment should score very well, but TDs can only tell.
Old 17th September 2021, 09:44   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
One option that is conspicuous by its absence is the Nexon diesel automatic. It can be a really good daily driver with decent mileage and not too bad an AMT gearbox. Safety and Brand presence are good too. Wondering why this is not an option..

So, sell Celerio now and the ecosport when ever feasible and get the Nexon. In future find another vehicle that satisfies your weekend vehicle requirements, not that the Nexon diesel is any bad on this front.
The Nexon Petrol AMT was my first choice when I decided to buy a new car at the start of 2020. Infact, I ended up booking a Nexon but the Dealership experience was pretty bad. Even though I am an employee of a Tata Group subsidiary company, the Dealership didn't consider any requests. After a month of inaction, they asked for full Downpayment before transportation from Factory yard, cause it "Dealership Policy".
That was it, Tata vehicles are out of my list. Also after this, giving a second thought, the Nexons rear look is not to my liking but I was making a compromise.
Even Mahindra's booking experience was not good but atleast I might be the only customer to book a Mahindra Thar for Rs 16000

If AMTs are a choice, I would rather have the XUV300 over the Nexon cause the booking experience would be relatively seamless now cause I already have a Mahindra vehicle booked.

P. S: No Offence to any Nexon onwers or AMT onwers

Quote:
Since you had mentioned that you're open to a good manual transmission if you like it, I would strongly suggest to explore that.
This will open up a lot of other options as well. At least take a TD and by the nature of your driving it will be easy to figure out.
IMO the most tricky part in a manual is to shift from 1st to 2nd under high load. If any gearbox is easy operate under that situation its good in my books.

Most cars in your list and in that segment should score very well, but TDs can only tell.
Yes, Manual Transmission might just be ok cause the car will mostly be for weekends. But if an MT car that offers Hill launch Assist, It would make life a bit more easier with a MT out here.
Shifting to Manual Transmission might take a bit of practice (again) but it will be doable right?

Cause I have been driving a Celerio AMT since 4 years and Ecosport AT with Paddle Shifters for 1.5 years, but in Manual Mode always. Manual cars driven before these two, was a Grand i10 and a Swift. Both has awesome sleek gear shifting. Although Grand i10 had a rusty feeeling reverse gear slotting action.

And if manual transmission is considered, that will open a wider list of car variants albeit also adding a bit more confusion.
Will surely start Test driving cars soon. Mostly MTs cause not expecting much on AT test drive cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
I am in the same boat and so far we have finalized the Venue(Rear space is not a major concern for us ) Venue iMT is ticking all the boxes for us and the top model with 6 airbags and all the bells and whistles is coming to 13 OTR Punjab.
We are waiting for the Taigun and Astor pricing now, otherwise, the Venue is finalized.
Even the Seltos iMT version is coming to around 13.67 OTR with pretty much all the features an average person needs.
I am interested in the Kia - Hyundai iMTs. Just need some information on its reliability aspect. Have you test driven a iMT?

Last edited by dr_TJ : 17th September 2021 at 10:13. Reason: Spell check
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 11:36   #28
BHPian

If you can, keep ecosport and get Thar. Selling ecosport will become difficult with passing time, except that the resale prices might settle down a bit in few months when this shock of Ford exit is over. But be mindful of the DCT, it's expensive to repair and spares are not as easily available as for the ecosport MT.
Old 17th September 2021, 12:02   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhayanaV View Post
If you can, keep ecosport and get Thar. Selling ecosport will become difficult with passing time, except that the resale prices might settle down a bit in few months when this shock of Ford exit is over. But be mindful of the DCT, it's expensive to repair and spares are not as easily available as for the ecosport MT.
My Ecosport is the Torque Convertor version.
Yes, I am worried about the Ecosport sale.
Let's see how things look in the near future. Currently, my Ecosport is listed on multiple websites for sale. No luck yet
Old 17th September 2021, 14:03   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Plan B.

Plan B is to get myself a Compact SUV (Basically all are crossovers).

Must-Have Features(As per priority) :

1. Reliable Engine and Transmission
2. Good Ground Clearance - 180mm or higher
3. Safety Features like ESP, Hill Hold Assist, Rear defogger etc
4. Automatic Transmission - any form of Automatic transmission is ok for me but has to be reliable so I am staying clear of DCT.
5. Must be good in both City as well as on the Highway

Nice to have Features:

1. Passive Keyless Entry
2. Push Button Start
3. Connected Car app
4. Android Auto or Apple CarPlay

Type of fuel is not a concern to me.

Now, my buying criteria as mentioned above is pretty simple, in short, I want a reliable, automatic SUV.
Hey I wish you shall include Nissan Kicks, which ticks all the boxes of your requirments. I am one of the early users of Nissan Kicks and I would highly recommend you to take a test drive of Kicks along with other car with your family and decide the choice . You may note every car's positive and negative on a booklet and do your research before you could take your final decison.

Kicks 1.3Turbo engine is co developed by Mercedes- Renault-Nissan Alliance and used in A class. Nissan's CVT is butter smooth and super slick to drive. Do check it out at your nearby showroom https://dealers.nissan.in/location/assam.
Find fellow Bhpians review of the kicks https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ip-report.html (Nissan Kicks XV Diesel - Ownership Report)

Last edited by jeganatu : 17th September 2021 at 14:05.
jeganatu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks