Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2021, 18:26   #1
BHPian

Which SUV or Crossover under ~35 lakhs

A close friend of mine is currently looking to upgrade from his Alto(a BIG upgrade at it, I would say). They are a Doctor-couple, both good drivers. They also own a Celerio(AMT).

Their prime requirements.
- Should be a new car, they are not open to pre-owned.
- Budget ~35 lakhs, can stretch a bit if it ticks maximum boxes.
- Should be an Automatic.
- 5-seater is more than enough, as it is mostly 3 passenger(including a 5yr old). This means backseat space is not a deal-breaker.
- They enjoy their frequent highway drives. Should be a good handler and have nice highway dynamics.
- Security utmost priority, 6 Airbags at least.
- Decent amount of gadgetry.
- Memory seats(Both drivers interchange frequently).
- He is 5.9 and she is 5.2, if this adds to the space/seat-criteria.
- Daily drive would be around 60km in Hyderabad traffic, so small turning radius and easy maneuverability will add to the experience.
- They clock more than 20k every year, so decent fuel economy would not hurt.
- Bootspace is not an issue as they travel light and for 3-4day short trips. They can use half of their backseat for luggage, just in case.
- Panoramic sunroof is a MUST, from home-department.
- 4X4, if it falls within budget.
- If satisfied, they will keep the car for next 5 years minimum.

Options considered:
- They waited for Kushaq but backed out due to quality issues.
- Taigun felt too small for them.
- They are way too many Seltos's on road and of course that safety rating.
- Hyundai Creta ticked most of boxes, but they wanted a premium unique ride. This still might be considered if they don't find any other better option, and further upgrade in a couple of years.

Options in line:
- Their favorite amongst all is Jeep Compass Diesel, was the reason to stretch the budget beyond 20 lakhs. They are currently checking the features and variants. I personally feel if their heart rules, this is their next ride.
- Tata Harrier Dark edition is second on list right now.
- XUV700 might be a contender too. Test drive awaited.

Requesting inputs from team...

Regards
DCharger
DCharger is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 19:20   #2
BHPian

Re: Which SUV or Crossover under ~35 lakhs

If they can wait for a month or two Volkswagen is planning to reintroduce the 5 seat Tiguan, it will be locally assembled and will be priced lower than the current Allspace version. I don't know if they'll introduce the 4motion AWD variant for our market or not, if your friend is specific about the 4X4 feature then they should look for the Jeep Compass.

Last edited by adityarobb : 29th September 2021 at 19:47. Reason: Rephrasing and elaborating my sentence
adityarobb is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 19:20   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCharger View Post
Their favorite amongst all is Jeep Compass Diesel, was the reason to stretch the budget beyond 20 lakhs. They are currently checking the features and variants. I personally feel if their heart rules, this is their next ride.
I think they're already on the right path and all of their prime requirements point directly towards the Jeep Compass Model S automatic.

The requirement for decent fuel economy and the preference for a compact 5 seater rules out turbo petrols like the Tiguan Allspace and the upcoming Kodiaq(worthy alternatives but above budget as well).

Compact size and easy maneuverability tips the scales towards the Jeep and away from bulkier alternatives like the Harrier(4wd is absent as well) and the Xuv7oo.
JohaanTJ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 19:44   #4
BHPian

I would add below options in the list :

1) Citoren C5 - Allrounder car which ticks all the boxes. Superior plush ride, Airbags, Pano Sunroof, Diesel Automatic, Acceptable fuel efficiency.

2) Hyundai Tucson - Bit dated interiors, but has good safety kit, option of automatic petrol & diesel, AWD, decent ride quality.
karan0009 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 19:49   #5
Team-BHP Support

Diesel Jeep Compass Automatic S (if you don’t mind the fact that its overpriced and anything but VFM).
Old 29th September 2021, 21:23   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Most of your friend's requirements and preferences point to Jeep Compass Diesel Automatic.

Quote:
- Daily drive would be around 60km in Hyderabad traffic, so small turning radius and easy maneuverability will add to the experience.
However, not this requirement. Jeep Compass has a unusually large turning radius for a vehicle of its size. U-turns in a ciry are pain in Jeep Compass.

Anyways, this should not be a major concern and definitely not a deal-breaker for anyone. This just shows that no car is perfect and there is no car that will meet every single requirement for most buyers.

Other than this one point, Jeep Compass seems to be the only choice.
Old 29th September 2021, 21:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

With the requirements they have, a small turning radius would be most unlikely to tick. The Jeep Compass is an awesome package. Did they take a look at the Gloster? With the features and requirements, the small turning radius would be only possible on a MINI.
Old 29th September 2021, 23:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Their requirements have all over COMPASS written on it. Suggest look no further and go for compass.
Only if they are ready to wait should look for Tiguan 5 seater. Though I expect it to be pricier than Compass.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 04:40   #9
BHPian

I would suggest these

Jeep Compass
Hyundai Tucson
VW Tiguan all Space / Tiguan, 5 seater (upcoming)
VW T ROC
Skoda Kodiaq (upcoming)

All of the above matches their criteria, now it comes to personal preferences and experience during visit / test drive
Asoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 08:04   #10
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

There's another dark horse - Audi Q2.

Some dealers are offering the Q2 at 35-36 L onroad with deals on service packages too.

Example - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5145476 (The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals)

Decent fuel efficiency, panoramic sunroof, not big on dimensions, Quattro system, fun to drive, I think it ticks most boxes for the use case except one - it is only available in petrol. Daily commute of 60 km may pinch the pocket.

Last edited by //M : 30th September 2021 at 08:10.
//M is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 13:04   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityarobb View Post
If they can wait for a month or two Volkswagen is planning to reintroduce the 5 seat Tiguan, it will be locally assembled and will be priced lower than the current Allspace version. I don't know if they'll introduce the 4motion AWD variant for our market or not, if your friend is specific about the 4X4 feature then they should look for the Jeep Compass.
Thank You Aditya,
Sure..I will ask him to take a look at the new 5 seat Tiguan. He is a fan of VW but he didn't like the current models in market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohaanTJ View Post
I think they're already on the right path and all of their prime requirements point directly towards the Jeep Compass Model S automatic.

The requirement for decent fuel economy and the preference for a compact 5 seater rules out turbo petrols like the Tiguan Allspace and the upcoming Kodiaq(worthy alternatives but above budget as well).

Compact size and easy maneuverability tips the scales towards the Jeep and away from bulkier alternatives like the Harrier(4wd is absent as well) and the Xuv7oo.
Thank You Johaan,
Kodiaq might also join the list, if priced competitively.

As you mentioned, Jeep Compass will make it to the final 2 for sure, as it ticks most of the boxes and as if tailor-made for their requirements(barring turning radius).

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan0009 View Post
I would add below options in the list :

1) Citoren C5 - Allrounder car which ticks all the boxes. Superior plush ride, Airbags, Pano Sunroof, Diesel Automatic, Acceptable fuel efficiency.

2) Hyundai Tucson - Bit dated interiors, but has good safety kit, option of automatic petrol & diesel, AWD, decent ride quality.
Thank You Karan.
Citroen was initially considered as it fits close to budget. It has unique street presence and exclusivity. But the Citroen being new player, not sure how the ASS would be, hence ruled out. I persisted him to take a test ride though.

Tucson is VFM offering ticking most of the boxes in check list. With new gen Tucson already being offered in multiple markets, I see this coming to India in next 1 year. This single point got Tucson ruled out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
With the requirements they have, a small turning radius would be most unlikely to tick. The Jeep Compass is an awesome package. Did they take a look at the Gloster? With the features and requirements, the small turning radius would be only possible on a MINI.
Thank You Raghu,
We drove Gloster, it is way too big for his requirement and the way it handled at corners pushed it off the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
There's another dark horse - Audi Q2.

Some dealers are offering the Q2 at 35-36 L onroad with deals on service packages too.

Example - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5145476 (The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals)

Decent fuel efficiency, panoramic sunroof, not big on dimensions, Quattro system, fun to drive, I think it ticks most boxes for the use case except one - it is only available in petrol. Daily commute of 60 km may pinch the pocket.
Thank You M,
He didn't like Q2 looks much.

Looking at recent posts of mouth watering discounts on Audi A4, I asked him to add it to list. Please note that sedan will not tick few boxes in his checklist but it will be a super-upgrade from "Alto --> Audi" . Current A4 has very good looks, good gadgetry and probably the most VFM offering in Indian market right now from German-Trio. If it comes below 40lakh mark, he might take a plunge.

Last edited by DCharger : 30th September 2021 at 13:09.
DCharger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 11:04   #12
BHPian

Quote:

He didn't like Q2 looks much.

I recently went for a test drive of the A4 and came back smitten by the Q2! I had also initially written it off as a rubbish offering from Audi, but after sitting in it, my opinion completely changed. It is a CBU with amazing fit and finish. The seats were one of the most comfortable I have ever sat on. It has 4 wheel drive, and is compact and easy to drive. And will guaranteed put a smile on your face with it's 6.5 sec 0-100 sprint. It's a great car for a small family which travels light. Unfortunately, I am 6'4" and it makes the Q2 a 3 seater and we wanted a bit more boot space (coming from the Jetta with a 600L boot), or it would have been one of my top picks for the 35-40L budget.

I suggest your friend should go for a test drive in the Q2 before writing it off. It looks much better on the inside than the outside.
pavanmadhini is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 11:25   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post
I recently went for a test drive of the A4 and came back smitten by the Q2! I had also initially written it off as a rubbish offering from Audi, but after sitting in it, my opinion completely changed. It is a CBU with amazing fit and finish. The seats were one of the most comfortable I have ever sat on. It has 4 wheel drive, and is compact and easy to drive. And will guaranteed put a smile on your face with it's 6.5 sec 0-100 sprint. It's a great car for a small family which travels light. Unfortunately, I am 6'4" and it makes the Q2 a 3 seater and we wanted a bit more boot space (coming from the Jetta with a 600L boot), or it would have been one of my top picks for the 35-40L budget.

I suggest your friend should go for a test drive in the Q2 before writing it off. It looks much better on the inside than the outside.
Thank You Pavan,
Will certainly give it a try. The only reason for checking on German trio is the mouth watering discounts(under 40 lakhs OTR) and the best VFM currently with great looks.
Old 3rd October 2021, 11:33   #14
BHPian

There are 3 cars to be considered for the mentioned budget:

1. VW TROC- If your friend was unhappy with the quality of the new VAG Twins, can check out the TROC, it is a CBU so no question of quality compromise. Only issue might be the stock availability as approx 750+ cars have been sold by VW out of the 1000 imported quota for this year.

2. VW Tiguan- This will be launching in Nov this year according to the latest details provided by Ashish Gupta, the brand director. It will be having better engine, more space and better quality at some places than the TROC. Gets the 4 Motion also.

3. Jeep Compass- This is a good offering for quality lovers with good balance of ride and handling. Can wait for year end discounts to pitch in before finalising if not urgently require an upgrade.

Last edited by tsi_niks1989 : 3rd October 2021 at 11:43.
Old 3rd October 2021, 13:27   #15
BHPian

If they found the Taigun small, then how is the Compass any better? Especially when it is almost double the price for the S variant? My gut says the Compass at best is about 75-100mm wider/taller front the inside. My wife and me have been in the same market for a while now. The Compass as appealing it may be is no long distance highway touring machine. It’s pretty small front the inside and it all feels too claustrophobic once you get in and spend some time in it. The ride height is nothing to rave about either. To be honest, the Harrier twins are the best bet when it comes to city + highway usage. They aren’t too big like the Gloster and not too small from the inside either. The ride and power train is pretty well sorted too and the Compass doesn’t feel like a level up in performance when compared to the Harrier. I’d say get the Harrier/Safari and save yourself the additional 8-10lakhs. The pricing on the new Tiguan/Allspace or Kodiaq will be bananas and again the Allspace felt very lethargic when I test drove it.
yd_gli is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks