Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2021, 19:12   #31
BHPian

Re: Upgrade from my Hyundai Grand i10 | Which Crossover for 18 lakhs?

I am in the exact same Dilemma Vagabond! I'm looking to replace my 2013 Grandi10 Asta Option Diesel that has run 152k as we speak.

My shortlist is a little different with a twist though.

I love the Astor Sharp Turbo AT but am concerned about moving to petrol. I absolutely don't like how the hector looks and have decided against it for that. I definitely will cry myself to sleep every night if I had to encounter 8kmpl avg from the petrol CVT after having lived a life on Diesel at 17kmpl...

My second option is the Seltos GTX AT purely for the Diesel.

Given my expected future driving is going to be lower than before at about 12-15k annually, I thought petrol will be the way to go but having done all the math and given current prices of turbo petrols , I'm seeing diesel breakeven much faster than earlier. I have therefore been asking around to see if long term diesel maintenance in BS6 will be higher than BS4.

One thing I would call out is that the Astor was developed with the EU/AUS markets in mind and therefore show that sort of build whereas the Hector was essentially a Chinese market model. Not taking any credit away from it. It has been a well thought out car, but if at all, I would think the Astor might aged better design and build wise. (Fingers crossed)

I don't think I've helped answer your question but if someone else can help me with mine, please do!
immortalmechano is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 11:40   #32
BHPian

I just have a query are you okay with the Safety Aspect of Seltos, IMO Hector feels more safer than Seltos. And The Interior Plastic Quality also IMHO Hector's is way better. We have one of the first Hector's of Kerala in our Family. The one with Petrol DCT. Yes the Fuel economy is less(the owner himself is a petrol pump owner ) and Dynamics is also not that great, but in regard of comfort it is miles ahead of that of Seltos. Are you open to a mild pre owned route?
DevSunit is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 16:49   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevSunit View Post
I just have a query are you okay with the Safety Aspect of Seltos, IMO Hector feels more safer than Seltos. And The Interior Plastic Quality also IMHO Hector's is way better. We have one of the first Hector's of Kerala in our Family. The one with Petrol DCT. Yes the Fuel economy is less(the owner himself is a petrol pump owner ) and Dynamics is also not that great, but in regard of comfort it is miles ahead of that of Seltos. Are you open to a mild pre owned route?
While the crash test rating of Seltos is a safety concern, it is still safer than my Grand i10 which does not have even the airbags.

Apart from the driving dynamics and fuel efficiency, Hector seems to trump Seltos in every aspect. I am also checking the pre owned cars but all good options seem to be costing close to the new ones (thanks to the long waiting periods on new cars).
Old 19th October 2021, 22:22   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVegabond View Post
While the crash test rating of Seltos is a safety concern, it is still safer than my Grand i10 which does not have even the airbags.

Apart from the driving dynamics and fuel efficiency, Hector seems to trump Seltos in every aspect. I am also checking the pre owned cars but all good options seem to be costing close to the new ones (thanks to the long waiting periods on new cars).
But Sometimes, some unfortunate incidents can happen even without you yourself being the culprit. As the roads are also developing, speeding also increases. So IMO a safer car will be a good thing to own. Anyway, in the preowned route you could have a look at the Tucson - A very sedate Petrol unit, actually Diesel is the one to go. Will be soon replaced by new model by Mid/Last 2022 but prices will be very much on the higher side then. But Other than these things, It is a brilliant Car.
https://www.olx.in/item/hyundai-tucs...iid-1657677160
Troc and Karoq - Brilliant Cars, but space is an Issue in Troc and Both are CBU. DSG in Karoq is the DQ381 IIRC, which is fairly reliable.
New Compass Automatics will not be in that budget soon but it is also not that much great.
Excluding all these pre owned, then it will be the Hector which is a clear winner.
Old 20th October 2021, 11:35   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, in the preowned route you could have a look at the Tucson - A very sedate Petrol unit, actually Diesel is the one to go. Will be soon replaced by new model by Mid/Last 2022 but prices will be very much on the higher side then. But Other than these things, It is a brilliant Car.
With limited running(~6000KMs per year) and 10 year rule on Diesel vehicles in Delhi, it makes little sense to buy a pre owned Diesel car.

Quote:
Troc and Karoq - Brilliant Cars, but space is an Issue in Troc and Both are CBU. DSG in Karoq is the DQ381 IIRC, which is fairly reliable.
New Compass Automatics will not be in that budget soon but it is also not that much great.
Excluding all these pre owned, then it will be the Hector which is a clear winner.
Being CBU, it is hard to find pre owned Karoq and I couldn't find one. Only car I am really interested in buying pre owned is Honda CRV and have taken a couple of test drives as well but so far haven't found a decently maintained car.
Old 20th October 2021, 18:33   #36
BHPian

Quote:
With limited running(~6000KMs per year) and 10 year rule on Diesel vehicles in Delhi, it makes little sense to buy a pre owned Diesel car.

Being CBU, it is hard to find pre owned Karoq and I couldn't find one. Only car I am really interested in buying pre owned is Honda CRV and have taken a couple of test drives as well but so far haven't found a decently maintained car.
Getting a well maintained CRV will be a tough job as the last gen was not as successful as it's predecessors. As in the case of Diesel Cars, get a relatively new car you can get at least a 15-20% price cut and then replace it with another preowned one. . Thereby I think You can taste the Germans as early as possible:
@GTO sir's Thread is an eyeopener here
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...-car-less.html (ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$))
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...to-longer.html (How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer))

Tucson Diesel is a great car, otherwise IMHO you can stick on with the Hector but get the Top Variant. If you are very keen of keeping your car for the long run, Then the latter will be best choice
Is T-ROC out of the race ?
Old 21st October 2021, 02:22   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
For sake of comparison, is your seltos manual or IVT? Assuming the manual to be frugal by atleast 2kmpl if not more.

My creta 1.6 P AT which has a torque converter gives 7-8 kmpl with AC and 9-10 kmpl in winters. Your Hector's fuel efficiency seems in line.

My seltos is a manual 1.5 NA. Since the running is very less in hector I am okay with the mileage. The only concern is the low range even with the 60 litres tank. I recently did 400KM highway drive in hector and got a mileage of 9.5KMPL which is fine considering the size of the vehicle.
Old 21st October 2021, 02:39   #38

Quote:

Hector still worth it!
I believe you are looking for the shine variant. Get the feel of shine variant before making any decision. It looks a bit dull from inside and the size of the sunroof looks odd on the roof this big. When I was in the market for my new car purchase I was specifically looking for shine variant. But once I test drove Sharp, other variants felt like a compromise.

All the best for your new purchase.
mttraveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 14:09   #39

Well, I am in a similar boat. I currently own a Honda Brio AT and recently sold my 12 year old Honda City CVT. I have been trying to find a worthy successor to City. I'm biased towards CVTs.

Here’s a quick summary of my findings:

1. Creta - don’t like the looks
2. Seltos - Concerned about safety rating. Plus their IVT variant comes with only 2 airbags. But very practical, otherwise.
3. Astor, Kushaq and Taigun are too cramped especially the rear seat. We weren't too happy with Astor CVT's TD. Felt like a boat! Kushaq and Taigun, though were excellent to drive.
4. Hector - bad mileage, but otherwise an excellent car
5. Harrier and XUV - don’t want to go for diesels
6. Crysta - too big. Also diesel. Petrol variant will be a guzzler
7. Ertiga and XL6 - didn’t like their automatic transmission
8. Alcazar - In order to create a third row, we felt they compromised second row
9. Jeep Compass: expensive.
10. Nissan Kicks: I like the car but concerned about Nissan's future and their ASS.

Net-net, it's between Seltos IVT and Hector CVT for me. I might compromise on mileage and go for Hector.
apoorvdurga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 00:20   #40
BHPian

Ok, so here is the latest update- I have taken the plunge and booked Hector Shine CVT. I really couldn't extend the budget for the Sharp variant and the price hike yesterday made it more dearer.

Apart from the space and comfort in Hector's favour, the 4-5 month wating time for Seltos pushed me towards the Hector.

I hope this decision proves to be right.
TheVegabond is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 22:38   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, so here is the latest update- I have taken the plunge and booked Hector Shine CVT. I really couldn't extend the budget for the Sharp variant and the price hike yesterday made it more dearer.

Apart from the space and comfort in Hector's favour, the 4-5 month wating time for Seltos pushed me towards the Hector.

I hope this decision proves to be right.
Congrats! I've put in a booking for the Astor Savvy(Sharp with optional pack) today. Fingers crossed!!
immortalmechano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 18:47   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortalmechano View Post
Congrats! I've put in a booking for the Astor Savvy(Sharp with optional pack) today. Fingers crossed!!
Which Transmission, is it the automatic? Treat with a juicy review once you receive the beauty
Old 25th October 2021, 19:44   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Which Transmission, is it the automatic? Treat with a juicy review once you receive the beauty
Yes it is! I wasn't expecting a delivery this year since I booked it yesterday. My SA however tells me MG is prioritising AT deliveries and so I may stand a chance this year. Should know more this week. Will keep you folks posted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks