Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2022, 08:22   #16
BHPian

Re: Should I buy a 14-year-old Innova for two years?

OT: I suggest that the title be changed to Should I buy an Innova for 2 lakh INR? That seems to the the highlight here. -;
Joelinf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 08:37   #17
BHPian

I think you're getting a good deal.

However, this bit stood out:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesanto View Post
I need a car for outstation drives, I don’t have long drives every month, let’s say once in three months one Bangalore trip.
  • You need a car to go to Bangalore once in 3 months.
  • You intend to keep this car only for one or two years.
  • You intend to buy a nicer car after two years when you're finances are set.
  • You have an Elantra for city drives.
My question is — what can't you just take a taxi (or a train/plane) to go to Bangalore the four times a year that you go there?

Benefits:
  • No hassle of ownership.
  • More motivation to get that new purchase.
  • You'll probably save cash; atleast you wouldn't have to spend a couple of lakhs in one go.
Think about it.

Last edited by voldemort : 2nd June 2022 at 08:38.
voldemort is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 09:24   #18
BHPian

• The price at which the seller has agreed to sell it, is too good to be true. Especially for a car that's been well maintained. In fact it's nowhere close to the resale prices of Innova I've seen so far.
  • The car's been repainted.
These sound like red flags to me.
If you have to go for it, I'd say search for the vehicle history. Proceed if you're absolutely sure.
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 10:04   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

There will be always lingering questions when going for an old car deal. But sometimes the gut feeling tells you what is correct and with an additional set of right checks done, you can be 100% sure that your decision is correct. Plus you know the owner and past driver(s) of the car, so that solidifies the knowledge behind the usage of the car.

This looks like a no-brainer and with the clear-flag from your mechanic/Toyota dealership, you should just close the deal (if you haven't already).
ninjatalli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 12:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

Id you aren’t keen on picking it up, please share the details and I’ll commit to the current owner that she’ll be taken care of even better that before and I’ll pay 2.00L now and pick it up.

You’ll perhaps get more than 2 L if you were to ever sell this after 2 years.
jkrishnakj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 12:36   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Go for it, but get a pre-purchase inspection done from a Toyota dealer. If it clears that test, just pay the 2-lakhs the same day itself and take her home.

If you use it for a longer time, good. If you resell it within 2 years, you'll actually make a profit.
Thanks GTO, I was hoping that you'd reply, because you are a master at evaluating Pre-Worshiped cars and your views are spot on. So, getting a go ahead from your side giving me a content feeling that I have made the right choice.

I gave advance amount for the car. Car went to Toyota checkup for a day and they gave me the green signal, which I had already mentioned. Only item I felt needed immediate change is the brake booster and master cylinder, when you press brake pedal, it gives a slight hissing sound, not always, but I noticed this and SA said it's just the beginning and it can still run for 10K easily maybe more and you'll notice brake being hard then it is time to change. I don't want to take any chance when it comes to brakes and it is just 15K for the complete repair.

I told the owner to send the car to fix this issue and I will pay for all the charges and I can take the delivery from the showroom. He said, let the car be back with them, they'll do a pooja and give it me. Agreed. Thank you for your valuable inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Most people may not know what they are getting into with a 14-year Innova with 170k km. Considering you have done the due diligence and you're a master at keeping a car running forever, go ahead.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
While I do realise that the car being a Toyota is always reliable but a 14 year old car is a 14 year old car.
Yes, a 14-year-old car is a 14-year-old, so I payed it safe. For the amount I paid for the car, I can keep some money for unforeseen repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
=But sometimes the gut feeling tells you what is correct and with an additional set of right checks done, you can be 100% sure that your decision is correct.
True indeed, after driving the car I had a feeling that it is a well maintained car and Toyota service confirmed the same. The repairs I have left is something I can expect from any 14-year-old car. Like driver side sunvisor broke, one cabin handle is missing, one reverse bulb is not working etc. Mechanically car is sound and does not require any immediate repair.

Last edited by jonesanto : 3rd June 2022 at 12:42.
jonesanto is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 13:07   #22

While buying a used 14 year old Toyota Innova may be OK, if it is well maintained, I would suggest that you buy a new car within your budget. Else you can go in for another car with less mileage and vintage. Just because you had an Octavia earlier, but cannot afford a new expensive car, does not mean that you should go in for impractical solutions.
Old 5th June 2022, 13:53   #23
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Go for it. Innovas are invincible. For what it seems, it is taken care of properly. Upkeep is inexpensive as well.
P.S. maybe using the age, you can negotiate a bit more.
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 14:46   #24
BHPian

In my opinion, it's a no brainer.

It is well maintained, serviced only in Toyota, looks and drives well, and is being bought from a known/ reliable source.

1.7 lakh kms/ 14 years is nothing really for a well maintained modern day diesel engine, especially a toyota. I am saying it from my personal experience, having sold my Scorpio at 1 lakh kms/ 8 years, in pristine condition.

The price at which you are offered the vehicle just makes it even better.

Just buy it ASAP.

I am sure that if regulations allow, you will easily be able to use it for 5-10 years more, as a beater/ fallback car / people mover.
nvldvr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 00:44   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesanto View Post
This put me in a difficult situation, I know no one will give an Innova for two lakh irrespective of what the condition is. Me and my friend went to Toyota service with this car, did a proper check-up.
If this helps.

Our Experience with Innovas:
- 1st Innova - 2006-2011 - 3.7 Lakh Kms - No Probs
- 2nd Innova - 2011-2017 - 3.2 Lakh Kms - No Probs
- 3rd Innova - 2017-Present - 2.4 Lakh Kms - No Probs
DarkerThanBlack is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 21:50   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Go for it.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
In my opinion, it's a no brainer.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkerThanBlack View Post
If this helps.

Our Experience with Innovas:
- 1st Innova - 2006-2011 - 3.7 Lakh Kms - No Probs
- 2nd Innova - 2011-2017 - 3.2 Lakh Kms - No Probs
- 3rd Innova - 2017-Present - 2.4 Lakh Kms - No Probs
Thanks.

The beast has reached home and started duty since last week and after a proper service and fixing few niggles, it drives like a dream. Already finished 2000km in one week.

Should I buy a 14-year-old Innova for two years?-1654877146179.jpg

Last edited by jonesanto : 10th June 2022 at 22:07.
jonesanto is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 13:14   #27
BHPian

Exactly a year back I asked Team BHP if I should buy a 14-year-old-Innova for two years. Response was extremely positive and I went ahead with the purchase.

Should I buy a 14-year-old Innova for two years?-1685386708132.jpg

What’s the review after one year? I am SUPER happy with my purchase, not because I bought an Innova, because I did my due diligence.

Be it Toyota, Maruti, Benz or BMW, a 14-year-old car is a 14-year-old car, no denying that. Do your part right and you reap the benefit.

Should I buy a 14-year-old Innova for two years?-1685386708136.jpg

I mentioned the ODO was 1.7K when I purchased the car, now it stands at 206000KM. Which means, the car has done 35K plus in one year. Did three normal service from Toyota and that’s it.

Should I buy a 14-year-old Innova for two years?-1685430417914.jpg

Mileage is respectable

Should I buy a 14-year-old Innova for two years?-1685430391963.jpg

A piece of advice to anyone looking to buy an old Innova.

Just because it is an Innova, don’t overlook anything, other than normal service everything else is
eye-wateringly expensive. Previous owner did AC service for close to a lakh, why a lakh? AC compressor alone 66K, condenser 16K then other small items, labor charges and tax etc.

Do the normal service just before you hit 10K, I’ve heard few proudly saying they do the oil change at 15K, 20K because it’s Innova.

Monitor tire pressure every month without fail, drive feel is extremely sensitive to tire pressure and passengers on board. Keep the recommended tire pressure and you will be happy to drive the car.

Probably the most important part, it’s a spartan vehicle when it comes to looks and feel, but whatever works, works forever. Please pick up the Top End model with ABS and Airbag. Don’t skimp on it.

logging off

Should I buy a 14-year-old Innova for two years?-1685386708127.jpg
jonesanto is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks