Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Hyundai Tucson would you buy?
2.0-Litre Petrol 38 14.50%
2.0-Litre Diesel 224 85.50%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2022, 10:33   #16
BHPian

Re: 2022 Hyundai Tucson | 2.0-Litre Petrol vs 2.0-Litre Diesel | Which engine would you choose?

I'd say Diesel any time. Hard luck for NCR guys. But as everyone was saying, 40 lakhs is way too much for 2L NA engine. I was expecting Hyundai to launch strong hybrid with 1.6 Turbo. We really deserve that with 4th gen launch. But it seems Hyundai wanted to cut some corners and leave us to the mercy of their 2l engines, which are being produced already for Alcazar. I've driven both, and difference is not subtle. Diesel wins on all fronts.
destinykid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 10:45   #17
BHPian

Re: 2022 Hyundai Tucson | 2.0-Litre Petrol vs 2.0-Litre Diesel | Which engine would you choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
In NCR, so I am not going for the Tucson but if I were given the choice, it'd be the 2.0D. The 1.6 Turbo petrol with AWD would have given the 2.0 diesel a run for its money, but as it is, the 2.0 petrol is clearly no match, especially without the AWD option. I've given up trying to understand the choices auto manufacturers make in choosing which vehicles/version they decide to bring to the Indian market, but with diesel under such threat in India, Hyundai could have brought the more tasty 1.6T petrol or even the hybrid versions of the Tucson, but what do I know!

And with reference to the diesel, the problem is not that you can only drive it for ten years but also that its resale value will drastically drop, I suspect, after 5-6 years. Of course, as others have pointed out, there may even be other additional ill-thought measures, including banning diesel cars entirely on some days if the pollution levels gets too bad in the NCR, just so officials can act as if they are doing something.
Hi Im Carevidence and this is my first post so appreciate bear with me!
I made a prebooking for the Tucson after moving back from overseas and am in the same dilemma, but would choose neither the Petrol or diesel, reasons based on following news items /reviews:
1.Hyundai announced they would be discontinuing diesels.
2.Hyundai expects 70% of new Tucson sales to be diesels.
3.BS6 stage 2 around the corner and NCR rules likely to extended to other locations.
4.Reviews for petrol sighted in India and also Australia where all 3 variants including turbopetrol have been in service for a year now, describe the NA petrol -disappointing,underwhelming..etc, and one light hearted one from Australia that caught my attention- says he needs to drive up a hill to get to his house and with 2 adults and 2 children the car seems to be saying, I think I'm going to make it, i think I can do it.
5.The Creta has a 1.4P offering with torque of 240 nm, and its 200 kg lighter than Tucson with 192 nm torque.
6.3 weeks after launch only diesel available for test drive here in Chandigarh.

So why would Hyundai be hardselling the diesel?And why would anyone be spending 35 l for a car that will just..do?Its a decision you'll have to live with for several years.
My guess is they will replace diesel with the turbo petrol later, while it still doesn't have the capability of the diesel but it will be a whole sight better than the feeble NA petrol.
So yes, I would rather pick the upcoming Creta 1.4 P if comfortable with just..do or wait for the Tucson Turbo petrol, in the interim my Brio is perfect for the city, and will retain it irrespective of the above choices.Best to avoid falling into the marketing trap where you are forced to ignore entry level items.
Carevidence is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 12:40   #18
BHPian

Voted Diesel. Though I personally averse to Diesel engines, having never had one in my family. However, having recently got a new Petrol Alcazar AT, I am stupefied that Hyundai thought that the same 2.0 NA engine is a good match for this much more expensive and a segment above Tucson. This makes the Alcazar seems much more VFM to me if Petrol engine is to be considered. Ofcourse, the build quality and interiors or Tucson and a grade above, but there are a few shared parts with Alcazar as well.

If I were to pick up a car in 40 L segment, and if Petrol was a necessity, I am not sure if Tucson would have been my choice as far as being Value for Money is concerned. One reason Alcazar Petrol appealed to me was that it's petrol engine was coming from Elantra and Tucson. I fully expected the new Tucson to have a different Petrol engine. Anyways, so if the choice is between Petrol and Diesel Tucson, I would vote Diesel any day.
Ays7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 13:04   #19
BHPian

I’ve owned petrol cars all my life, never owned a diesel car. Have low running of about 10k annually and on top of everything I live in NCR. So voted for the petrol option. How I wish they offered AWD in the petrol too!
Old 30th August 2022, 13:19   #20
BHPian

Voted Diesel. Also bought the AWD Tucson last year. Have done about 8k kms so far, and the car is an absolute gem to drive.

Also have an older Tucson with the same 2.0 NA petrol engine. The petrol is not bad, but lacks the punch. Honestly, in 2017 it was not a bad purchase but in 2022 i am not sure. The petrol is not a people mover, it is not fuel efficient and its not even exciting to drive. I would rather save money and get something cheaper.
AP_1812 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 15:42   #21

Tucson Diesel any day. I've had multiple TD and I had a surreal experience. Only reason that I won't buy a Diesel car now is the future of Diesel in next 5-7 years.
Moreover, Tucson Petrol is a big let down. For that price Hyundai should have given a powerful engine atleast in that segment of SUV!
Old 30th August 2022, 20:19   #22
BHPian

If petrol is the choice, better to stick to Alcazar.

The diesel is the best in segment and VFM despite the high price
Old 30th August 2022, 20:33   #23
BHPian

A year or more back, my friend and colleague was looking for a car upgrade from Creta. Me and him, both are fond of diesel engines for their grunt at low rpm and their economy and were aware that for the brief period of owning diesel cars, lets say < 10 years, diesel cars of today, do not incur much maintenance cost and that cost is comparable to petrol cars. We finally zeroed in on Hyundai Tucson (the earlier model).
I remember we had test driven both petrol and diesel versions and we found the diesel car was the best drive, peppy and responsive and quiet silent inside the cabin despite the diesel engine sound on the outside. After driving 10 kms, the engine noise outside too was silent. I would always vouch for the diesel version.
Old 30th August 2022, 23:46   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie_Jeeper View Post
I agree to your points but I don't think Tucson is a 4X4 like Compass/Meridian . It's just AWD as far as I know.
Hey. Isn’t the compass/meridian also an awd?
My vote goes to the diesel anyday!!
Old 31st August 2022, 01:06   #25
BHPian

2.0L Turbo Diesel all the way for me, although my personal choice in this segment would be the Citroen C5 Aircross. If I absolutely had to get a Petrol SUV I'd rather get a Tiguan or go down a segment and get a top of the line Scorpio-N Z8 L AT/XUV 700 AX7 AT Luxury Pack.
Old 31st August 2022, 09:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

Probably the most one-sided poll ever! Hyundai has always made just adequate NA petrols in India! And their diesels, especially the earlier 1.6 which was in the 1st gen Creta and Verna was the benchmark of refinement and power, under 15 lakhs. So the 2.0 diesel in the Tucson should be the natural choice.

However, the new Tuscon may also be bought by buyers who would like to be in its spacious rear seat and for them the Petrol should just do fine.
Old 31st August 2022, 10:54   #27
BHPian

Now that there is an overwhelming support for the Diesel mill, but keeping the budget in mind; will you all opt for Diesel Platinum 2WD v/s Petrol Signature variant.
Old 31st August 2022, 20:43   #28
BHPian

If I were to go for Tucson, The diesel mill would get my vote.
The 2l Petrol Engine is just adequate and the torque and power output of the 2l Diesel is just too good.

416nm matched with that 8 speed GB would make it go fast off the block while also giving it long legs. I crossed it out my shopping list for the same reason I let C5 aircross go - The banner and VFM.
Old 31st August 2022, 22:39   #29
BHPian

After seeing the Petrol engine specs of the Tucson, I am more than happy with my decision to go for my HECTOR PETROL.
Around 10-12 lakhs cheaper with almost similar features and more torque.
Tanmay_868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 22:56   #30
Senior - BHPian

To give you a perspective, I've TDed the Alcazar 2.0 Petrol AT and found it adequate nothing more, nothing less, in Eco mode with 3 on board it struggled and my wife who was in the middle could feel the engine running out of breath, it felt a little spritely in comfort mode. That said it must return appalling fuel economy though the SA said it returns 11 kmpl in the city On the Tucson the engine may get overwhelmed and may make living with it even more difficult. Basically Tucson needs a turbo petrol Hyundai has missed the opportunity, may be an N line Tucson would be considered later or it may get withdrawn like the Elantra for lack of sales. Would need to drive it in Sport mode permanently in order for the engine to perform and mileage will dip drastically.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 31st August 2022 at 22:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks