Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2022, 19:05   #16
BHPian

Re: Commit to Electric, or bet safe on Diesel | Monthly run of >1000 km

I'm in the same exact quandary. I'm trying to decide between MG ZS EV and a pre-owned Tucson. My thoughts -

1. For tall folks, ZSEV is not the most comfortable.

The high floor means that the seats are low set. Due to this, under thigh support in the rear and the front passenger seat is poor. The driver seat is better since the height can be adjusted.

The rear legroom is quite limited. I'm 6'2" and I can barely sit behind my driving position.

For the driver, the lack of steering reach adjust does make the driving position a bit awkward for tall drivers.

I have taken multiple test drives of ZSEV and felt the lack of a "perfect" driving position each time.

Please do take a longish test drive before you take a call. If you expect to be chaufferred around at times, please do consider back seat comfort too.

2. ZSEV's platform is a bit dated. The car has been around since 2019 and is based on an ICE platform. Hence the compromises on floor height etc. Also ZSEV has some minor shortcomings which might irritate - poor headlamps, an aerodynamic defect which leads to dust settling on the rear, omissions of an auto-dimming IRVM etc.

Newer skateboard platform based cars might arrive in a couple of years which would be substantially better. At that time, I do expect the resale value of legacy platform based cars to fall significantly.

So you will have the decide if the ZSEV package really ticks all your boxes or if there are compromises, whether you'll start having the upgrade itch in a few years. If you intend to upgrade in 2-3 years, the depreciation hit will be very significant.

I'm veering toward buying the used Tucson as an interim measure for the next 2-3 years and then upgrade to EVs once there's better choice.

But yes, not completely sure of which direction to take.

Last edited by qaqa : 31st August 2022 at 19:23.
qaqa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 20:00   #17
BHPian

My vote is for an EV. If you have second car at home for emergency long drives, as planned long drives in EVs are very much possible, go for EVs. I am also thinking of switching to Nexon EV as it makes much more sense than spending on diesel in the next five years. And right now government incentives, waiver of road tax and income tax rebates actually make EVs affordable in long run in my opinion.
Old 31st August 2022, 20:29   #18
BHPian

I have slightly different suggestion.

Considering BS6 diesel DPF issues, better go pre-worshiped BS4 and save money and headache.
Old 31st August 2022, 21:03   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post

Considering BS6 diesel DPF issues, better go pre-worshiped BS4 and save money and headache.
Doesn’t work in Delhi NCR now. BS4 means 2020 model car. That means 2+ years already gone, out of 10. Also, BS4 diesels will not be permitted to ply during AQI 450+ days, which usually is half the winter.
Old 31st August 2022, 21:37   #20
BHPian

Please keep the Range anxiety as a factor while decision making. It is not always possible to keep the car fully charged. One EV user recently posted his experience of doing long distance travel and he did have to plan a lot as charging infrastructure is still developing. I would personally not want to go through that kind of worry and really want a peaceful traveling experience when i know i can fuel up at any point of time.

Even in commuting there are times when you do get stuck in traffic and emergency can occur. Even at home suppose the car is not fully charged and you have a emergency to go out. Imagine the trouble we sometimes face going out when we know the phone is running out of charge and everything from payments go directions is dependent on the phone. With a car you just multiply this.

For a certain kind of use maybe in a small city and using it mostly for commute it may not be a factor. But when spending so much on a car you want to use it for a variety of uses and sometimes spontaneously go for a long drive. WIth our highways getting better it is a great experience taking off on longer drives even if we do not go on planned trips.
Old 31st August 2022, 23:23   #21
BHPian

I would definitely vote for an EV or Hybrids. Diesel vehicles are out of the question for folks from Delhi-NCR.

Amongst them, ZS EV is good and would possibly be my pick also. Why don't you check out the Volvo V40 recharge (Suggesting this only because you are already at the 35-38 spectrum)? At least a TD would not hurt.

If going the Hybrid route, I would wait for another year now since Maruti/Toyota has shown the taste of hybrid to the masses, and others would follow to have a piece of the cake. I would give a max of 3-5 yrs for every manufacturer to have at least one car in their stable which would be either hybrid or pure EV.

Last edited by shashi792 : 31st August 2022 at 23:25.
Old 31st August 2022, 23:36   #22
BHPian

Pain is harder to swallow vs pleasure, as the pain will keep on nagging. Pleasure starts feeling normal and boring pretty soon.

So, it you are really fond of enjoying the torquey diesel, and you are denied that by your decision, it will keep on nagging you forever.

So find your biggest pain, and make sure your car choice addresses that well.

There are others for whom running cost is a bigger pain than denial of torque. For those guys EV is the answer.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 31st August 2022 at 23:38.
Old 20th September 2022, 11:33   #23
BHPian

STOP THE PRESS.

After being enamored by the 'Born-Electric' brigade, I let my heart rule the airwaves for once and committed to a Diesel for this 'One Last Time'.

Humble thanks to all of you learned brethren for your esteemed suggestions and guidance. I have learned so much over the past month and a half that will stay with me for eternity.

However, saw some real-world challenges of owning an EV in the current times and decided to play safe. Some quick observations:

- The MG ZS EV is a perennial wait. No delivery commitments from the flagship dealership, with the latest delivery happening of bookings from January. Realistically, the ZS EV could not come home before Apr'23, which was a long stretch for me.

- The feasibility study of my home location for the Charger installation came up negative due to low load sanctions and other challenges.

- A quick chat with a fellow ZS EV owner gave me multiple real-life experiences that I was not comfortable navigating.

Hence, with much thought, I let go of riding the 'Electric' bandwagon for the time being and focused on the ultimate bad boy - Diesel.

In come the other contenders - The Jeep Compass Model S, The Mercedes GLA 220D, and the outlier - The Hyundai Tucson.

While the Mercedes was the best experience to date, the price tag for the Diesel was a no-go, and hence the focus shifted to the Jeep Compass Model S. Booked with Landmark Jeep, Gurugram, with a confirmed delivery of September 17th. However, the horror stories on Team-BHP and other real-world owner experiences shook my faith, and as luck would have it, got a confirmation of early delivery of the Hyundai Tucson Signature Diesel.

And as they say, "It's all in the stars".

Welcome home, "WhiteLight"

More on the buying and driving experience in a detailed ownership experience that's in the works.

Signing off with a coveted memory.

Attachment 2360187

Thank you all, again for being the eternal guides. Indebted, forever!

Last edited by BlackAdam : 20th September 2022 at 11:39.
BlackAdam is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks