Maruti XL6 Manual 20 8.81%
Kia Carens Diesel Auto 82 36.12%
Safari Mid Variant 38 16.74%
Innova HyCross Base Hybrid 87 38.33%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2022, 17:12   #16
BHPian

Re: Which new 6-7 seater MPV / SUV for 20-lakh rupees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Since the new car in question will be replacing a Hexa, assuming that there is a use case for a proper full blow SUV. Carens/XL6 are nonstarters as they are a size smaller and have smaller engines. A proper like for like replacement would be from a segment above, a Safar, XUV700, Crysta etc.
Totally agree here. Even though the XL 6 & Carens are good in their own ways, neither can be a replacement for the mighty Hexa. You should be looking at an upgrade or at least a lateral replacement - which should be the Safari/Harrier, Innova, XUV 7OO or the Scorpio in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHPjunkie View Post
Scorpio and Mahindra - For me, spending 25.xx and beyond for Mahindra does not justify. There are multiple threads on niggles faced by XUV and Scorpio owners and I cannot deal with such issues in a new vehicle
Maybe I would have agreed to that statement in 2009, but not now. Jeeps, Skodas & Volkswagens have been more unreliable than the new Mahindras. Also, don't you think it's a bit ironic coming from a used Tata owner!? How has your Hexa ownership been so far??
Geo_Ipe is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 17:16   #17
BHPian

If you go through the ownership threads, there are more number of niggles in Harrier/Safari than XUV/ScorpioN and also, TATA has not published its crash rating yet

So, if you really want a safe and tension free 7 seater then Innova Crysta diesel (continuing to sell from Jan-feb onwards) or Innova Hycross are only the options.
sulliavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 19:18   #18
BHPian

I was in a similar boat last year and had initially booked the Carens but withdrew the booking once the crash ratings were out.
As others have said, one shouldn't fully go by safety ratings alone...a lot depends on who is behind the wheel. In my case, the vehicle will be driven by random drivers to ferry around my parents, so couldn't risk it.

I have voted for the Carens because it is the most value for money option among those listed in the poll.

But why don't you try the Scorpio N, expecially the mid variant Z6? For 14.99 ex-sh, I feel its absolute VFM. You get a very powerful diesel with adequate bells and whistles (if you are not feature hungry). The 3rd row can be used by kids and smaller adults.

Niggles will be there for most new vehicles but M&M are actively sorting them out based on initial feedback. By the time you get the vehicle, most if not all the initial issues would have been sorted.

Hope this helps.
akannath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 22:43   #19
BHPian

The updated XL6 is an excellent package. It's VFM and has everything you listed. i have driven it and can tell you that it will keep you happy for a long time. It has all the creature comforts and is frugal. The captain seats are super comfy.

Wish you a beautiful new car soon!
sabujsen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 00:05   #20
BHPian

A Kia Carens Diesel AT will be your best choice.
However, if I were you i would buy a pre owned Innova Crysta AT.
A pre owned Innova does not compare to other pre owned cars in the same way considering is high QDR.
If you are lucky, you may get the legendary 2.8 AT Z.
shrinz.vivek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 08:23   #21
BHPian

Try to do your best to get a high safety rated car.

Do test drive Scorpio N/XUV 700 from that perspective.

Also, remember that you drive sedately but others may not, and at highway speeds, sedate driving also is actually high speed driving.

Niggles might be there but they can be ironed out; basic safety cannot be improved later.
dsr001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 09:18   #22
BHPian

Sadly I have more questions than answers..

With your frequent travels, what is your monthly running?
If its > 1000Km+ then you can think of a diesel or else it doesn't make sense unless you need that extra torque/power.

Do you want to upgrade to an automatic or ok to drive a manual?
Manuals are cheaper but a pain in city traffic on the other hand automatics are a bliss but increases the cost by ~1.5 - 2 lakhs. On top you need to conclude the eternal debate of DCT vs TC vs CVT in your mind before deciding on one.

Now coming to answers. Below are my choices.
1. Suzuki XL6 automatic - Best value for money
- 1.5l refined petrol engine (tried and tested)
- Asin 6 speed TC transmission (smooth)
- Fuel efficiency of 16-20 Kmpl (easily)
- Excellent service network and low maintenance

2. Hyundai Alcazar - Best fit and finish
- Extremely refined engines (both petrol and diesel)
- Hyundai 6 speed TC transmission (smooth) [no DCT]
- Better look and feel (comes with premium on road price tag)
- Excellent service network but higher maintenance
- Poor/Low milage ( 8-11Kmpl for petrol and 15-18Kmpl for diesel)

3. Safari - Beast
- Awesome looks, great suspension and drivability
- Hyundai 6 speed TC transmission
- Shoots budget by far and do you really need one?
- If you don' drive much then this is not the car for you ( DPF top up and regeneration)

4. Kia Carens - Meh! [Sorry]
OpenRoads is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 10:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the length of the Hexa ownership and looking for replacement. Am pretty sure the OP has burnt his fingers on his pre-owned experiment and working with a budget to find a replacement.

I can guess, since I had gone through a similar experience 4 years back with the Corolla. I didn't buy the Camry as the logical upgrade. My budget was 1/3rd of the Camry and brought the S-Cross.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 22:15   #24
BHPian

My top pick would be Carens Diesel AT Luxury plus. I had bought mine in February and ran about 5000kms. Car is supremely comfortable. Not just for the driver but for everyone. Of course I was put off a bit after the safety ratings but I had kind of expected it before buying the car. There is lot to safety than crash ratings. The entire smoothness and relaxed nature makes me reach out for the keys of Carens more than the Innova Crysta. And yes one feature I will never go back from: Ventilated seats. I no longer like to sit in my in laws Q5.

Diesel filter is a small issue if you don’t do highway runs often and use eco mode only in city. Thankfully the process to clean it, is easy and can be DIY. All steps mentioned in the manual.
Sagar.Agarwal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 09:04   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHPjunkie View Post
Hi members,

I am seeking advice for my next purchase ....

Now I currently have a Hexa which was a pre-owned purchase and was bought in Sept 2021. We were using the Hexa on such weekends. Now we are in a situation where my father (currently an NRI) will permanently shift to India and stay for good in Pune and will take the Hexa along with him.
...., I like fast acceleration but always maintain speed limits.
I have a question - Does your father need a 7 seater?
I don't know the reasons behind your choice but from the available information, you need a large car however it's not clear if your father needs one too.

Maybe you can keep the Hexa as it fits your requirement and get a new 5 star rated hatchback/crossover for your father instead ?
YK85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 12:20   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Top choice is the Kia Carens. There is a reason that it outsells the XL6 as well as the Alcazar. Great design, excellent space packaging, comfortable suspension & superb powertrain options.

I would pick the Diesel AT simply because I don't trust the long-term reliability of the DCT turbo-petrol. You'll get excellent FE with that diesel motor & the torque-converter gearbox is perfectly mated to it.

You should take a test-drive of the Scorpio-N. If for nothing at all, just the experience. Who knows, you might end up liking its tough & butch nature. Drive the fast turbo-petrol as well as the practical turbo-diesel, both in AT.
Thanks GTO. I did try the Scorpio N, however the lack of 3rd row flat folding seats is a big let down, it eats away way too much space. Also the driver of the test drive vehicle confirmed that they keep getting multiple electrical issues frequently and suggested XUV 7OO is better than the Scorpio N, if you are not doing hardcore off roading.

I am pretty much sold on the Carens

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Any reason why you're not considering the Hector plus?
It seems to fit in with your price/seating/feature configurations very well.
Never liked MG. Also the diesel does not have an automatic and petrol autos give dismissal fuel economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashin View Post
My Top choice would be the 7 seater Hyundai Alcazar Petrol Automatic. The 2.0 NA engine is now in its 3rd generation and is mated to a nice and smooth 6 speed torque converter. This engine/gearbox also does duty on the much more premium Tucson. Being naturally aspirated you don't have to carry the fear of turbo reliability or DEF issues with diesel engines, Hyundais are 2nd to none as far as features are concerned so you get great bang for buck in the Alcazar
Found Carens as a package better than the Alcazar from space and seating perspective. Also a NA engine performance under full load would be questionable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Do you need a diesel?
Do you need an AT?
How quickly do you need the car?
I would prefer a diesel, absolutely need an automatic being in Mumbai. I am in no hurry to get the vehicle. I was promised a Carens delivery in the 3rd week of December, decided that if I have waited this long, its better to get a 2023 manufactured vehicle. Also KIA are not even offering a single rupee discount if I decide to pick a 2022 model in the last 2 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
XL6- Major downgrade from Hexa, both in terms of space and power.
Carens - Would never suggest an unsafe car, no matter how value for money it may be. So anything from Kia is out.

Choose between Safari and Innova hycross based on your budget.
I followed the Hycross launch and awaiting the pricing. If the V hybrid model does launch on-road below 25, I will surely consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Since the new car in question will be replacing a Hexa, assuming that there is a use case for a proper full blow SUV. Carens/XL6 are nonstarters as they are a size smaller and have smaller engines. A proper like for like replacement would be from a segment above, a Safar, XUV700, Crysta etc.
Well, Crysta is discontinued as of now and the used car market for Crysta is absolutely crazy. I know someone who bought a 2.4 auto diesel black Crysta in September 2022 for 32.xx on-road, and has barely done 2k kms. He now wants the HyCross and spoke to a dealer for selling his Crysta. The dealer got a customer who was willing to pay 35 lacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinz.vivek View Post
A Kia Carens Diesel AT will be your best choice.
However, if I were you i would buy a pre owned Innova Crysta AT.
A pre owned Innova does not compare to other pre owned cars in the same way considering is high QDR.
If you are lucky, you may get the legendary 2.8 AT Z.
I am still looking at this option, but Crysta in the range of 20 lacs is either way too old or has way too many kms on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Looking at the length of the Hexa ownership and looking for replacement. Am pretty sure the OP has burnt his fingers on his pre-owned experiment and working with a budget to find a replacement.
Not at all. All of us love the Hexa to bits and it has become our go to vehicle to go outstation or even if we are 5 travelling within the city. Those captain seats are a boon and the towering driving position is addictive. The reason of going the new vehicle route is that the better half wants all the new and features and creature comforts like in the Carens. The pre-owned Hexas, Crystas or Fortuners do not even close in this department

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagar.Agarwal View Post
My top pick would be Carens Diesel AT Luxury plus. I had bought mine in February and ran about 5000kms. Car is supremely comfortable. Not just for the driver but for everyone. Of course I was put off a bit after the safety ratings but I had kind of expected it before buying the car. There is lot to safety than crash ratings. The entire smoothness and relaxed nature makes me reach out for the keys of Carens more than the Innova Crysta. And yes one feature I will never go back from: Ventilated seats. I no longer like to sit in my in laws Q5.

Diesel filter is a small issue if you don’t do highway runs often and use eco mode only in city. Thankfully the process to clean it, is easy and can be DIY. All steps mentioned in the manual.
Thanks for your valuable input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YK85 View Post
I have a question - Does your father need a 7 seater?
I don't know the reasons behind your choice but from the available information, you need a large car however it's not clear if your father needs one too.

Maybe you can keep the Hexa as it fits your requirement and get a new 5 star rated hatchback/crossover for your father instead ?
Well he does not need a 7 seater, but he is so accustomed to the Hexa that he does not use any other vehicle. He loves the car and I would want him to keep it.
BHPjunkie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 12:44   #27
BHPian

Coming from Hexa, you will have a tough time finding something as spacious and as comfortable as Hexa. Why not try Harrier ? It might suit your budget and your requirement easily enough. It is almost the new Safari minus 8 cm in height and 6 cm in length.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2022, 19:15   #28
BHPian

Which of the two would be better for munching miles with family?
1. Hycross Hybrid
2. Crysta Diesel AT
Old 5th May 2023, 17:49   #29
BHPian

So here comes an update!!

Was eagerly waiting for the Hycross launch, but the price is an utter disappointment. I know Hybrid tech and space are premium, but I am not going to pay 35 lacs for an Innova. Also not sure how the monocoque chassis of the Hycross will take full loads and how will it age. That rules out the Hycross.

We have decided to go for the Carens, however with the new engines and gearbox updates there is another twist. Considering the multiple model lineup, we have decided to stick to the Prestige Plus variants as they seem most value for money and are below 20L mark. I really want the diesel for the refinement and economy, however full auto is not available in the Prestige Plus model. They have iMT on the diesel which is not bad considering the elimination of the manual clutch. They have also launched the 1.5L petrol DCT with Prestige Plus with has 160 horses on tap. I test drove it today and seems pretty powerful, however I am concerned about the fuel economy, considering the turbo petrol. Also concerned about the reliability of the gearbox in the long run. We intend to keep the car for minimum 8 years. My use case is going to be city drive daily about 20-30 kms and alternate weekends or minimum one weekend long drives covering about 200-300kms.

What would you guys suggest?
How is the reliability of iMT transmissions?
The Prestige Plus diesel iMT and petrol DCT are priced INR 13k apart, petrol being more expensive. Considering diesel's better economy and cheaper fuel, it will definitely be cheaper to run. Anyone using the 1.4 turbo petrol can give insights on the actual fuel economy?

Thanks in advance for your valuable inputs!
Old 15th May 2023, 11:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

Experts,

I chanced upon this thread as I have been tasked to help my BIL get this first 7 seater car.

Requirements:
1. 7 seater - will accommodate 4 senior citizens (not always but on outside city trips for sure) & 1 ever growing teenager. Senior citizens should find the ingress/egress easy in the last row.
2. Fuel - Petrol, Hybrid. No diesel since the running is not much.
3. Preference on Automatic, if not manual can also be acceptable
4. Budget: Max On road 20L. Cannot exceed this
3. Low on maintenance.
4. Good on safety features.
5. No preowned, will be new vehicle.

The shortlisted:
1. Kia Carens Prestige Plus 1.5 Turbo petrol DCT
2. Alcazar Prestige 7 STR 1.5 Turbo
3. Scorpio N Z4 petrol AT 7 STR

Others in the thinking fray:
1. Maruti XL6 - although this is a 6 seater.
2. Safari XE - although this is a diesel and base model.
3. Ertiga if this is the last car on earth.

Kindly suggest if any other options available. BIL has TDed the Carens & Alcazar but yet to TD Scorpio. Amongst the 2 he is impressed with Carens but will decide post my TD along with him in the last week of May. How fast can one get any of the shortlisted cars mentioned above? The buying will be financed partly by car loan.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks