Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2022, 20:10   #16
BHPian

Re: Higher variant from a lower segment versus Lower variant from a higher segment

If you are on a tight budget, no clear merit opting for mild hybrid Grand Vitara or Hyryder duo. Both are essentially same car inside including boot space with extended exterior compared to Brezza. But costs more for equivalent variant. If you cannot wait for Brezza delivery, take a test drive of Nissan magnite turbo CVT XV or XV premium. You can consider it if you have good dealership nearby. Their service can be a hit or miss.
Old 7th December 2022, 23:09   #17
mvr

Re: Higher variant from a lower segment versus Lower variant from a higher segment

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikramCS View Post
New cars: for ~15L OTR + aforesaid requirements, my suggestion:
Sedans: 5th Generation Honda City V CVT (~14.9L OTR in Delhi)
(both Slavia and Virtus will cost 16L+ on-road)

Compact Sedan: Honda Amaze CVT (top-model)

Hatchback: Honda Jazz CVT (top-model)

Above cars meet your requirements, but, additionally provide good safety as well. I think one can't go wrong with Honda's iVtec.

Used Cars: I'll assume you are open to used-cars (if not ignore the below)
For all 3 categories, my above suggestions still remain. Bonus is you'll save money if you manage to get hold of a used example.

If going the use-car route, i believe it's best to stick to Toyota/Honda only. But, if you are an enthusiastic driver and like to have more fun, with a 15L budget you can explore VW/Skoda's sedan offerings: Rapid/Vento. Please do proper research and necessary due-diligence before finalizing the deal.

Hope that helps, Good luck!
Thank you. I also found Tata Altroz to be good. I read a news report that Jazz would be discontinued in 2023. Are any new variants/facelift expected for these honda cars in 2023?

I am planning to get a new car, but thanks for the suggestions on used cars as well.
Old 7th December 2022, 23:11   #18
mvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-g-p View Post
If you are on a tight budget, no clear merit opting for mild hybrid Grand Vitara or Hyryder duo. Both are essentially same car inside including boot space with extended exterior compared to Brezza. But costs more for equivalent variant. If you cannot wait for Brezza delivery, take a test drive of Nissan magnite turbo CVT XV or XV premium. You can consider it if you have good dealership nearby. Their service can be a hit or miss.
Thanks. But, I heard from reviews on videos and blogs that the overall quality of Magnite is compromised due to the cost cutting (noise levels, AC leaks out).
Old 8th December 2022, 00:48   #19
BHPian

Your criteria (from reading through above messages and my interpretation)-

1) Sub-compact SVU i.e. Sub 4 m (I don't think you can really get anything bigger under 15 lakhs)
2) 15 lakhs max
3) Automatic transmission and Cruise control
4) Rear camera and ISO Fix mounts

Here would be my recommendations based on the above. You really only have 3 choices if you stick to all the above constraints. I would drive them all and pick the one you really like, or just buy the cheapest one (they're all the same basically).

1) Nissan Magnite / Renault Kiger ~ 11L
2) Suzuki Brezza / Toyota Urban Cruiser ~ 12L
3) Kia Sonet / Hyundai Venue ~ 13L

This link might help you.
https://www.carwale.com/find-car/res...412%2C1280%2C1

Last edited by inwester : 8th December 2022 at 00:49.
inwester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 17:19   #20
mvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post
Your criteria (from reading through above messages and my interpretation)-

1) Sub-compact SVU i.e. Sub 4 m (I don't think you can really get anything bigger under 15 lakhs)
2) 15 lakhs max
3) Automatic transmission and Cruise control
4) Rear camera and ISO Fix mounts

Here would be my recommendations based on the above. You really only have 3 choices if you stick to all the above constraints. I would drive them all and pick the one you really like, or just buy the cheapest one (they're all the same basically).

1) Nissan Magnite / Renault Kiger ~ 11L
2) Suzuki Brezza / Toyota Urban Cruiser ~ 12L
3) Kia Sonet / Hyundai Venue ~ 13L

This link might help you.
https://www.carwale.com/find-car/res...412%2C1280%2C1
Thank you. Yes, those are my requirements. The other requirement is that I am looking to get the car delivered to me in around three months. Brezza has a long waiting period, so that is out of my list. Toyota UC is discontinued (from what I understand). I heard (from various reviews) that Nissan Magnite/Kiger have cut some corners to reduce the cost. That leaves us with Kia and Hyundai which I wanted to avoid due to their low gncap scores. Do you think the newer version of Kia Sonet will have better build quality?

Since I ran out of options in the sub-compact SUV segment, I moved to hatchbacks and sedans. I test drove Tata Altroz and found the transmission (DCT) to be much better than the AMTs on Nexon and XUV300. So I am considering it. I am yet to check the on-road price of Honday City 5th gen V CVT Petrol model. If it is under 15L and I can get a few discounts, I can also consider it. I heard the new facelift of WR-V is going to come out soon. I wonder if I should wait for that.
mvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 17:53   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvr View Post
Hello All,

I am looking for a (sub) compact SUV with the following features.

1) Safety
2) Automatic transmission
3) Sufficient space for five adults (ideally, three should sit comfortably in the back row)
4) Cruise control, rear view camera
5) ISOFIX seatbelt

I have shortlisted Tata Nexon XZA+ (HS) and Mahindra XUV300 W8(O). Nexon's on-road price in Delhi is around INR 13.60 L and that of XUV300 is around INR 15.4 L. I was also looking at Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder's NeoDrive-S and it has almost all the features that I am looking for. So I was wondering, is it better to go for a higher-end variant in a lower segment (subcompact SUV) or a lower-end variant in a higher segment (compact SUV)?

If you don't necessarily need an SUV/Raised ground clearance, then do look at the Verna 1.5 petrol SX Automatic(CVT). It's available at 14.60 lacs on road in Delhi. Good features, includes a sunroof, and much more. With year end and other discounts, it should come down to 14.00 lacs on road.

Last edited by DeepakS : 8th December 2022 at 18:02.
DeepakS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 18:20   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. I also found Tata Altroz to be good. I read a news report that Jazz would be discontinued in 2023. Are any new variants/facelift expected for these honda cars in 2023?

I am planning to get a new car, but thanks for the suggestions on used cars as well.
Sorry, have no inputs on Altroz automatic, except that it's wet-clutch DCT (supposedly more reliable than dry clutch DCT's of VW), but, long-term reliability is yet to be seen; owners can comment.

Yes, there are reports of Jazz being discontinued in 2023, however, you needn't worry about parts/service. Jazz is reliable and recent models come with 12 months service interval. Additionally, Honda offers warranty both extended and anytime warranty (upto 10years, paid)

Please test-drive shortlisted cars, if needed - multiple times, before finalizing.
VikramCS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 00:19   #23
mvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakS View Post
If you don't necessarily need an SUV/Raised ground clearance, then do look at the Verna 1.5 petrol SX Automatic(CVT). It's available at 14.60 lacs on road in Delhi. Good features, includes a sunroof, and much more. With year end and other discounts, it should come down to 14.00 lacs on road.
Thanks. Considering the safety ratings, I have been ignoring Kia and Hyundai.

Quote:
Sorry, have no inputs on Altroz automatic, except that it's wet-clutch DCT (supposedly more reliable than dry clutch DCT's of VW), but, long-term reliability is yet to be seen; owners can comment.

Yes, there are reports of Jazz being discontinued in 2023, however, you needn't worry about parts/service. Jazz is reliable and recent models come with 12 months service interval. Additionally, Honda offers warranty both extended and anytime warranty (upto 10years, paid)

Please test-drive shortlisted cars, if needed - multiple times, before finalizing.
Thanks. A friend suggested that I would get "used to" the lag in Tata Nexon and suggested I go ahead with it due to its ground clearance. Would that happen?

I am leaning towards Tata Altroz except for this suggestion which is making me think twice. Happy to get any advice on my friend's suggestion.
Old 9th December 2022, 11:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

I am looking for a (sub) compact SUV with the following features.

1) Safety
2) Automatic transmission
3) Sufficient space for five adults (ideally, three should sit comfortably in the back row)
4) Cruise control, rear view camera
5) ISOFIX seatbelt
I will suggest Honda City V CVT to you, if you are not too fussy about body styles. Superb and VFM car with Honda reliability and fulfills all your criteria.

If opened to pre owned route, you can consider-

1) City 5th Gen ZX CVT
2) Civic VX CVT
3) Corolla Altis VL AT

Slightly different suggestion of a Kia Sonet iMT. It fulfills all you are criteria (I consider iMT as an AT, because of pinky finger light gearshift and no clutch) except susceptible safety. Happy 1 year owner of Sonet HTX iMT.
Old 9th December 2022, 11:38   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I heard (from various reviews) that Nissan Magnite/Kiger have cut some corners to reduce the cost.
That's true, but being a Renault Kiger Turbo CVT user myself, I can confidently say that the interior fit and finish quality is on par with Nexon or XUV300. The plastics are definitely scratchy, but they are well put together and in Renault specifically they carry their global design elements like a sporty digital instrument cluster, well laid out dashboard, a decent music system, effective drive sense modes and a very smooth stepped CVT gearbox. The car is exceptionally quick and overall build quality is also good. You will miss on a Sun roof though, if that's a big deal.

I went for the top end variant (Stealth black) and it costed me 13 lakhs (including extended warranty and accessories) on road Pune. I must say that the Renault Kiger is a very underrated car. If Nexon AMT was an acceptable option in terms of internal fit and finish, I think you must consider test driving a Renault Kiger Turbo CVT as well. The car has its flaws, but for me, they were not deal breakers. I got the delivery under 10 days from the day of booking.
Old 9th December 2022, 11:39   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. A friend suggested that I would get "used to" the lag in Tata Nexon and suggested I go ahead with it due to its ground clearance. Would that happen?

I am leaning towards Tata Altroz except for this suggestion which is making me think twice. Happy to get any advice on my friend's suggestion.
In general the AMTs, even the worst of them will shift better than beginner drivers and drivers who have not driven much in their life. So AMT in itself is not an issue if one is aware of its limitations and drive accordingly.

However yesterday I saw a Kia Sonet X-Line on the road, it looked amazing - seems like its well priced considering competitors are offering a terrible AMT when this has a well tuned petrol dual clutch as well as a proper diesel AT.
Old 9th December 2022, 14:00   #27
BHPian

Quote:

I'd still say stay clear of AMTs. I understand safety aspect, but, is ground clearance the only reason to think about Nexon..wouldn't suggest it. Plus, newer sedans have adequate ground clarence, don't worry.

I recollect two episodes: I used to travel with my colleague once a week to office in his Nexon AMT, which replaced his Dzire MT. He mentioned that he's not happy with the lack of smoothness in gearshifts and responsiveness especially on highways.

My neighbor recently replaced his Alto - he got Nexon AMT. During a conversation last week, he mentioned that though he's happy with comfort and ride quality, gearbox is a let-down.

No doubt, Nexon and XUV300 are great products, but, in my view, spending ~15L on cars without proper automatic transmission is not justified, especially when the competition provides good choices.

If i were in your shoes, i'd happily pick 5th Gen Honda City V CVT.

Take multiple test drives of all your shortlisted cars, if required, from different Dealers and make an informed decision.

Happy hunting

Last edited by VikramCS : 9th December 2022 at 14:06.
Old 12th December 2022, 17:16   #28
mvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I will suggest Honda City V CVT to you, if you are not too fussy about body styles. Superb and VFM car with Honda reliability and fulfills all your criteria.
Thanks. Honda City is great, but the starting variant of the automatic costs slightly above 15L.

I am looking for a fully automatic one. That is another reason to skip iMTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerman View Post
That's true, but being a Renault Kiger Turbo CVT user myself, I can confidently say that the interior fit and finish quality is on par with Nexon or XUV300. The plastics are definitely scratchy, but they are well put together and in Renault specifically they carry their global design elements like a sporty digital instrument cluster, well laid out dashboard, a decent music system, effective drive sense modes and a very smooth stepped CVT gearbox. The car is exceptionally quick and overall build quality is also good. You will miss on a Sun roof though, if that's a big deal.
Thanks. It seems like a good option, but I am a bit reluctant to consider them (Magnite and Kiger) after hearing the negative reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
In general the AMTs, even the worst of them will shift better than beginner drivers and drivers who have not driven much in their life. So AMT in itself is not an issue if one is aware of its limitations and drive accordingly.
Thanks. I haven't considered Kia and Hyundai due to the safety aspect.

Quote:
I'd still say stay clear of AMTs. I understand safety aspect, but, is ground clearance the only reason to think about Nexon..wouldn't suggest it. Plus, newer sedans have adequate ground clarence, don't worry.
Thank you all. I went ahead and booked the Tata Altroz XZ DCA variant. I found that car to have all the features that I am looking for + a good gearbox. Coming back to the theme of this thread, I ended up getting a higher variant of a lower segment than a lower variant of a higher segment.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and for sharing your experience.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 12th December 2022 at 17:51.
Old 15th December 2022, 09:49   #29

I think the whole idea - AMT are extremely jerky and they give long term problems is an exaggeration - I am driving AMT for 5 years jerks are slightly felt now and then but never a big concern .
As far as reliability is concerned AMTs are very reliable. CVT are smoothest. But I think you can easily live with the AMT related stuff which are over exgegerated.

I dont think you will get Hyrider Automatic strong hybrid at less than 19 lakh on road - you need to decide on these financial aspects and take a call.

I personally dont like hyrider because of its large size - such large sized cars are not suitable for regular use in Indian cities .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks