Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2023, 19:21   #1

Mahindra Scorpio or Toyota Fortuner?

Hi petrolheads!

I am planning to buy an SUV under 20 lakhs for rough usage. I’m a builder and need to go to sites, that usually require off-roading. What I want to ask is, should I go for the Scorpio Classic S11 or a 2015-16 model Toyota Fortuner? Such a Fortuner will cost almost the same as the Scorpio!

What should be an ideal choice?

Last edited by Aditya : 28th January 2023 at 22:44. Reason: Edited for better readability
nipuns1993 is offline   (5) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 28th January 2023, 20:58   #2
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Mahindra Scorpio or Toyota Fortuner?

Ideally, you could get a Scorpio-N Z4 or Z6 for under 20 lakhs and I think you should go for it instead of the Scorpio Classic.

As far an 8-year-old Fortuner is concerned, you could go for it provided you are sure the car is in good condition, however since its past 8 years, maintenance and issues are likely to crop up too, so that should also be taken into account.

New cars are always a safer bet in my opinion.
bijims is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 22:40   #3
BHPian

Instead of Scorpio Classic get the Scorpio N it is way better than the former. As for the Fortuner, it will be a good pick but depends on the condition you get one in. If it is single hand driven, well maintained, and company serviced then you can look for it. But remember Fortuner from that vintage weren't the most refined in terms of ride quality and braking performance. It improved a lot in 2018 and later models. Coming to your usage you also need to consider the yearly running and upkeep costs which will be higher for the Fortuner starting from day 1 but in a new Scorpio N atleast first couple of years will be easy on pocket.
AROO7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 01:05   #4
BHPian

If you are from Jammu, check with RTO/Mahindra/Tata if you can register a 4x4 Bolero/Yodha as a private vehicle (white plate). In Maharashtra, I cannot.

If you can, just ask Mahindra/Tata to make the suspension sturdier as a factory fitting. Not sure if after-market suspension changes are legal. If you cannot register it as a white plate, then a Scorpio N makes sense.

As AR007 says, a used car costs money from Day 1.
mygodbole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 04:55   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipuns1993 View Post
Hi petrolheads!

I am planning to buy an SUV under 20 lakhs for rough usage. I’m a builder and need to go to sites, that usually require off-roading. What I want to ask is, should I go for the Scorpio Classic S11 or a 2015-16 model Toyota Fortuner? Such a Fortuner will cost almost the same as the Scorpio!

What should be an ideal choice?
Since you’re thinking Fortuner, have you considered finding a Scorpio Getaway? You may find that to be a great mix of utility for work and for transport. And its 4 wheel drive plus its torque are absolutely huge.

The top spec Scorpio Classic indeed might be a good choice for your own transport needs provided you get the 4WD capability. The Classic has a shorter wheelbase and is quite maneuvrable in tighter spots.

The Scorpio N in its 4WD Z4 guise definitely looks like wonderful value for money and will do all that you ask of it. It is more comfortable than the Fortuner in Row No 2.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 11:05   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Scorpio or Toyota Fortuner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipuns1993 View Post
I am planning to buy an SUV under 20 lakhs for rough usage. I’m a builder and need to go to sites, that usually require off-roading.
Forget the Scorpio Classic, it is way too old & outdated.

Stretch your budget a little bit more and get the Scorpio-N, it is vastly superior to the Scorpio Classic.

In case the "image" you project is very important to your business & customers, only then get the pre-owned Fortuner. Else, the Scorpio-N should be your no.1 choice.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 14:34   #7
BHPian

For a builder, projecting one self is a an important aspect in the line of business. For that the Fortuner is the apt car. And the car is a Toyota, take care of it and it will out last everything out there. Get a white Fortuner.
AJITHAAA is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 14:40   #8
BHPian

You will easily get 2015 Fortuner (type-2, not the 2016 new generation) for 15 lakhs in manual transmission or 16 lakhs for automatic. Add another lakh if you want 4X4. I recommend going for Fortuner for two reasons:

1. This is the most reliable vehicle on this planet. Full stop. Period. There is nothing more reliable than Fortuner / Hilux. Top automotive journalists, and top automotive channels concur. I'll give you my example, I bought a 18 year old Toyota Landcruiser, third hand. Yes it was 18 year old when I purchased it. I drove it everyday for 10 years. Zero breakdowns. You can't compare these Toyota trucks to anything on this planet. There is a reason why they are most expensive in their segment, least features, still they sell the most in their segment.

2. Several posts on our esteemed forum Team BHP and other websites will show you brand new ScorpioN and XUV 7OO on tow truck, and stuck in Mahindra's workshop for several days. There is no guarantee that after spending 20-25 lakhs you will get a trouble free vehicle. The chances of failure in an eight year old Fortuner is same as a brand new Mahindra. My friend's one year old Mahindra Alturas was taken away on tow truck, and a faulty sensor arrived at the service centre after 7-8 days. Also, prices of spare parts of Mahindra Vs Toyota are not very different. Toyota's parts are some of the lowest priced, cheaper than Maruti, Hyundai, VW, Skoda and Honda, so don't worry about expensive spare parts.

It's also a lot about heart Vs mind. Mind will tell you to buy a new vehicle, heart will say that you must go for the second hand beast
redohabitat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 19:51   #9
BHPian

Considering you are a builder and into construction business, I think you should blindly go for a pre-owned Fortuner. It will help you with "image" and also rough/tough use. There are plenty of them in pre-owned market and availability is not a challenge. Go for an Automatic, driving will be a breeze.

Let us know what you end up buying. Good luck with your hunt

Cheers,
RAHS
RAHS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 10:05   #10
BHPian

There is no comparison. Hands down the Fortuner!
mohitchalla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 10:26   #11
BHPian

Fortuner. This is not even a fair comparison to Scorpio.

We are comparing Scorpio against a vehicle that is way ahead. It's like comparing middle scorer against top scorer in class. If we are comparing on reliability alone.

However if Scorpio is new and you are saving money in terms of value spent to drive for next 5-7 years then go for it and set aside sum for repairs.

Finally if you want reliabile SUV then look at Hyundai / Maruti options also. I would suggest Tucson towards high end.

We all know by and large most reliable brands are Maruti / Hyundai / Honda / Toyota. So choose from here.
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 11:48   #12
BHPian

2015-16 Fortuner would offer you very little in terms of feature. Neither you may get good entertainment system nor features which are part of smaller cars today. Also, by the looks of it, people will anyway know that it is old Fortuner. The brakes of the older fortuner were not so good, I heard. Going for a new scorpio will give you all the bells and whistles and the ability to go anywhere. It looks muscular also.
autobahnjpr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 11:59   #13
BHPian

Given your requirement and the kind of terrans you will be driving on, both Scorpio (classic / N) and Fortuner are apt, however you will not get a pre owned new generation Fortuner in 20L and the older generation offers too little in terms of features, is not at par in power (170 HP) and the ride quality is horrible.

Among the two scorpios there is no comparison, Classic does not offer automatic , barely any features, platform is very old. I suggest to go for Scorpio N Z4 or Z6 diesel variants
Old 1st February 2023, 12:04   #14
BHPian

Go for the Fortuner.
For your rough use and periodic off roading, it will be a risky move to go for a new car which has not yet proved its reliability.
Toyota is the automotive representation for reliability.
These trucks will last 4-5 lakhs km with just yearly fluid change.
Vasanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 16:21   #15
BHPian

I would suggest a Thar since it will be idle for remote off-road places and also go with the image of a builder but if you have shortlisted these 2 only then i would suggest Fortuner for reasons below.
1. Scorpio N being a new product still has lots of niggles and you don't want to be stuck at a remote place of your car throws a tantrum.
2. The Scorpio classic is a great product but you need to make sure if it fits your usage.
3. Fortuner being a less electronic heavy car will give you more peace of mind if you get a well maintained one and get the necessary failure prone parts checked and replaced on time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks