Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2023, 10:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Used Crossover: 10-year old BMW X1 or newer Creta / Compass?

Hi Guys,

This is a query from a conflicted heart.

I am an auto-enthusiast and love to change cars every 2-3 years. Because if the financial aspect, I stick to used cars.

Running per month - 500 kms

The Cars I have owned till now are
1. 1997 Zen Jelly Bean
2. Fiat Palio Sport
3. Honda Civic Manual
4. 1st gen Swift
5. 2003 Zen Tiger
6. 4th Gen City CV CVT
7. 2011 Polo 1.6 Petrol (Current car)

However, my car is not a utility for me, I take pride in the ownership of my cars.

Now basis my pattern, my Polo has been with me for about 4 years and I have the "keeda" (urge) to change my car! My car is in pristine condition and you wont be able to guess the age of the car. Against popular opinion, I think the 1.6 is definitely a hot hatch and can give the current generation of hot hatches a run for their money.

My requirements currently are simple
1. Automatic (for myself)
2. SUV (for mom)
3. Panaromic Sunroof (for partner)
4. Preferred Budget (10-12 Lakhs) - possible to extend

I have been looking at the used car segment and the following options have been checked
1. Used Creta - Doesnt make sense to buy in the used car market
2. New Harrier - A used Tata is not something I wanna risk. I love the car design and meets all the criteria, but spending 25 lakhs for 500 kms per month is just poor financial acumen
3. Used Compass - I like the car but I just prefer to know that the company will exist in 5 years. But I am open to a good Compass at the right price
4. Wild card Entries - I have been seeing a few BMW X1s from the first batch and am really liking the deals on used cars.

My Questions
  1. Is a German Luxury Segment of age 10 years even worth considering?
  2. Which options should I consider with my budget except the X1?
  3. For the X1
  4. What are the things I should look at when evaluating an old X1? What are the most notorious problems with the X1?
  5. Petrol or Diesel?
  6. Which Gearbox did the X1 Automatic have? Is the Gearbox reliable?

Should I drop the German car plan? Is it too Naive??

My plan is to get a German car and budget a few lakhs for complete restoration and a lakh a year for maintenance? Am I underestimating the maintenance of such cars?
2000rpm is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 10:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Used Crossover: 10-year old BMW X1 or newer Creta / Compass?

If you don't care much about safety ratings, you can add the Seltos to the list. I think with the budget you will get a good automatic and will also tick all your requirements. The budget should be pretty decent in the used car market. 10 plus year old Germans will give you headaches am sure. They will not be like your earlier list of cars. Be ready to spend some time in the garages or FNGs. I don't think that's a wise idea.

Last edited by Raghu M : 29th March 2023 at 10:46.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 11:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
If you don't care much about safety ratings, you can add the Seltos to the list. I think with the budget you will get a good automatic and will also tick all your requirements.
Seltos is just not a car I like. Also, it doesnt tick all my boxes.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 11:55   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Compass and Tucson will be good options that will offer premium build quality comparable to the luxury brands.

If you want to go the luxury brand route, you will have to settle for the sedans (like a 3 series) as SUVs tend to be very expensive to buy. Since your usage is low (500KM per month), you can probably get away with a luxury brand as well. We are talking about 24K km during four years of ownership, I would say worth taking a chance. If you buy a car with 40-50K km on the Odo, you might be able to drive it till 80-90K km without any major issues especially if you pick models with good reliability track record.
androdev is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 18:42   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
3. Used Compass - I like the car but I just prefer to know that the company will exist in 5 years. But I am open to a good Compass at the right price
4. Wild card Entries - I have been seeing a few BMW X1s from the first batch and am really liking the deals on used cars.

My Questions
  3. For the X1
  4. What are the things I should look at when evaluating an old X1? What are the most notorious problems with the X1?
  5. Petrol or Diesel?

My plan is to get a German car and budget a few lakhs for complete restoration and a lakh a year for maintenance? Am I underestimating the maintenance of such cars?
Honestly the first generation X1 is the most fun to drive X1 available thanks to the hydraulic steering + RWD.
The gearbox is a torque converter and is fairly reliable.
Avoid the petrol, look for the diesel : it's a hoot!
Most notorious problems will be availability of parts, deteriorating rubber components, finding a clean example with panoramic sunroof (most X1's available are the base trim), and of course wear and tear issues from suspension to work out iDrive.
Maintenance could be a bit on the higher side than 1L/year depending on how it is maintained - combing through the previous service history should give you an idea + you will need to find a competent independent mechanic who can arrange for parts as well.
Similarly, 2L for a restoration too could be on the higher side : tyres, suspension itself will cost around 2L given you'd be getting a higher trim for the panoramic sunroof; and the costs of other wear and tear bits will exceed it.

If you are ok with significant downtime in exchange for pleasure to drive - it could be a good bet.
Alternately, I would look at stretching the budget and finding a well maintained second gen X1 which is a lot more comfortable for the family, easier to drive, and parts would be more easily available.
The Q3 TDi is a good option too - parts being shared with other VAGs would be easier to source and the resale isn't as good as the X1.

Lastly, there is the Jeep Compass but a diesel automatic would be expensive, especially if you want a sunroof; and the 1.4TSi with the DCT is probably best avoided.
Wild card entry : There is a toureg on tbhp classifieds, maybe worth checking out though you would really have to stretch the budget for it + it's maintenance; A Jetta may be a decent option as well even though it is a sedan - but the ingress is fairly decent for elders (I've seen some elders struggling to get into a higher car like the Creta for instance); and a newer example of something like a Rapid 1.0 AT.
lamborghini is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 00:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

The first gen X1 is based on the E90 3 series and that car drives brilliantly the steering feel is on point so although I do not have much personal experience owning these cars, it is definitely worth looking into. IF the X1 turns out to be a not so wise choice (although I feel it makes for a sensible one IMO), then why not consider the 4th gen Honda CR-V? Should be an easy decision.
Old 30th March 2023, 10:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I've seen some elders struggling to get into a higher car like the Creta for instance
My mom wants to own a BIG CAR! I am a Sedan guy through and through.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 15:39   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My mom wants to own a BIG CAR! I am a Sedan guy through and through.
Best would be to let her sit in one of these v/s a similarly priced sedan and decide. The X1 should be doable, but some of these could be a step in requiring assistance.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 12:26   #9
BHPian

A used BMW X3 is possible if you extend to 15L range. I think it is a better option than X1.
A used Harrier, Kushaq or Jeep Compass are the other options.
Old 31st March 2023, 15:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:

My Questions
  3. For the X1
  5. Petrol or Diesel?

German cars of 10+ years are definitely worth considering. Consider pre-owned X1/X3/Q3/Q5/GLA if you have a budget of a few lakhs on "renovation". If you are mentally prepared for 1L/year on maintenance, you will most likely be happy unless you got a lemon. Remember two extra benefits of used cars: You will pay less on RTO tax if you buy out of state and insurance cost will also be much lesser.

Here is what I would suggest, unless you find a good deal in MH:
1. Look for above mentioned cars online, most of 10+ year old SUVs will be below 10L before negotiation
2. Shortlist and make a visit to NCR (Ashok Vihar) where many are discarded due to pollution norms. Ideally look for 60-80k km driven ones
3. Keep aside some 3L for any repairs, mechanical parts change etc.

My own Q5 is 12 year old now, running absolutely fine. In my neighborhood itself I know of at least 4 first generation Audi Q5s and a few X3s being driven regularly, running absolutely fine.

Make sure you have a reliable FNG and you have some time to spend at FNG though once in a while.
OffRoadFun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 16:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My requirements currently are simple
1. Automatic (for myself)
2. SUV (for mom)
3. Panaromic Sunroof (for partner)
4. Preferred Budget (10-12 Lakhs) - possible to extend

My Questions

To your question, I will definitely suggest to drop a German car which is that old. You are looking at yearly maintenance bills of atleast 1.5L and the reliability of the car despite paying so much, would be highly questionable.

Have you considered the Hector? You might need to spend a couple of lakhs more to get a used Hector DCT or CVT, but I believe it satisfies all your requirements.

Other alternative is to wait for a year and let the Hyryder/GV hit the used market.
Old 31st March 2023, 16:49   #12

Which could be best bet on pre-owned luxury hatchback as I am planning to buy one. My options are Volvo XC40, Audi Q3, Mercedes A Class and X1. I am checking the boxes over reliability and maintenance costs.
Old 31st March 2023, 17:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note: There are several language, spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker (Grammarly available as a browser extension and is highly recommended).

Last edited by GTO : 3rd April 2023 at 11:02.
SKC-auto is offline   Received Infraction
Old 31st March 2023, 18:50   #14
BHPian

For an automatic used Compass with panoramic sunroof you will have to double your budget. I personally wouldn't spend 25L on a used car. Any car. At that price you can get many brand new cars with all sorts of features. Read elsewhere on this forum that there's no such thing as a cheap luxury car. You will have to be prepared to shell out at least a lakh a year on maintenance. Older cars will have even other surprise expenses.
Old 31st March 2023, 20:03   #15
BHPian

Is this going to be your only car? Then, please drop the idea of a buying a 10+ years old German.

If you have another car in the garage and some extra bucks to spent, then, by all means, please buy the German
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks