Innova Hycross GX 59 51.30%
Innova Crysta GX 56 48.70%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2023, 00:56   #1
BHPian

Battle of Innovas | Hycross or Crysta?

Hello BHPians,

I have had my eyes on the Innova for quite some time now and with the Crysta relaunch, I am confused between the two Innovas on sale right now in India. Except for the Hycross being slightly bigger in dimensions and being a little better with the feature equipment, there is practically no difference for me. Yes I know both have very different platforms, but it doesn't matter that much to me. My usage is adequate for both petrol and diesel vehicles and the GX variant of both cars fit my budget just fine.

Battle of Innovas | Hycross or Crysta?-hycross-vs-crysta3.jpeg

My question is, which of the two Innovas would the rest of Team-BHP prefer.
PetrolHead2272 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 08:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Battle of Innovas | Hycross or Crysta?

If it were me, I'd choose the Hycross for the following reasons:
1) Better ride and handling balance compared to the Crysta.
2) Automatic transmission compared to the manual only offering.
3) Newer offering which usually implies support for a longer period of time.

Factors keeping the Crysta relevant:
1) BOF RWD diesel may actually be more durable than the monocoque Hycross.
2) Possibly better resale value.
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 09:32   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

TKM has made it easier for you to choose.

Want automatic? Buy the Hycross.

Want diesel? Buy the Crysta.

I would go for the Crysta since the only advantage the Hycross has over the Crysta IMHO is the hybrid fuel efficiency. Without it, another one of the many FWD monocoque petrol MPVs. And the hybrid isn't available in the GX.

Last edited by DicKy : 2nd April 2023 at 09:35.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 09:44   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The HyCross GX (non hybrid) is going to be an extremely underwhelming car to drive with an NA engine mated with a CVT. The torque figures are at par with small turbo petrols found in the likes of Kushaq, Venue and Nexon.

That being said, it is highly likely that the Crysta becomes essentially a taxi car, going forward. Even today, a white Crysta is the national taxi of India. I don’t see private buyers going for it once HyCross goes mainstream, especially considering it is already 7+ years old now. The car is pretty much obsolete now, as far as private buyers are concerned.

Toyota has structured the price and models in a way as to push you towards spending extra for the hybrid, which remains the powertrain of choice. So, unless you have very high running and you plan to use your car for 3-4lakh km over a decade or more, I don’t see any reason to go for the Crysta anymore.

Also, you can never underestimate the sheer convenience of an automatic. HyCross is far easier and lighter to drive as well, much more car like.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 2nd April 2023 at 09:50.
Old 2nd April 2023, 13:26   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Battle of Innovas | Hycross or Crysta?

You’re in luck because EvoIndia has just compared the GX Petrol HyCross with a GX Diesel Crysta!

Some takeaways from the video:
- HyCross has better refinement.
- HyCross has better space in all 3 rows be it headroom, legroom or width.
- HyCross is more comfortable.
- HyCross is easier to drive with its lighter controls.

- Crysta has the better interior quality.
- Crysta has that robustness and sense of longevity that we associate Toyota with, which the HyCross still needs to prove.
- Crysta will give better fuel economy naturally.
- Crysta will be able to handle loads much better due to diesel torque.

The choice will be how will you be using the car?

If you’re going to be chauffeured around then both are equally good, choice will boil down to how quiet do you like the cabin where the HyCross will be better.

If you’re going to be travelling with a full load many times, then the Crysta is the way to go because of its diesel engine.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 2nd April 2023 at 13:54.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 00:32   #6

I disagree with EvoIndia on the headroom part. I am 5’ 11” and the hycross 2nd row roof was almost touching my head. Also I felt the interiors of the hycross was too basic for a car costing 36+ lakh rupees on road. The cushioning in the last row seats also looked bare minimum. The SA who helped me with the test drive also recommended the Crysta if comfort was the primary factor to be considered.
MysticMind is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 10:37   #7
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Crysta has that big diesel and all that torque which I really like. The Hycross on the other hand is more modern and has an automatic. Eventually, it comes down to diesel vs automatic for me. I wouldn't mind compromising on the automatic for a diesel. Voted for the Crysta.

My opinion shall stay the same irrespective of the variant.

Last edited by AYP : 3rd April 2023 at 10:39.
Old 5th April 2023, 18:35   #8

The sole reason you went to the showroom is because of that crysta, dont belittle a product so popular only because its a successful taxi. There are 1000s of crysta out there and toyota with their track record wont disappoint in terms of service/part availability even if it gets discontinued. I guess you have understood my vote with this. Hands down its the crysta
Old 5th April 2023, 19:28   #9

Hello fellow members,
I am in the same dilemma, our usage mainly consists of highway rides, mileage does not matter and I can compromise on features but the main factors in consideration are highway stability, comfort and ability to absorb any broken patches on the highway. Since the test drives have not started in our city for HyCross, it would be really helpful if you all shared your views.
Thank you
Old 5th April 2023, 20:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Yes it's only slightly bigger, slightly faster, more features and 7 years newer design and engineering. That's what a new model of a car is supposed to be. Normally, they discontinue the older version because who would ever want the old model without a massive discount but this is just how us toyota owners are when we see something new and unfamiliar.

Go for the crysta if you want to overpay for a barebones diesel for work use. Useful if you have very high running or it will be shared among people who are more used to trucks than cars. But then why not just buy a used crysta in a better spec?

Get the Hycross if you want a better specced petrol that will be fresh for another 7 years. But do note that the non-hybrid variants will be revving up much more due to low torque at low rpms without the electric motor helping out. In contrast, the diesel will be a low rpm cruiser.

No, despite what some 'experts' say, the body-on-frame vs monocoque nature isn't going to matter at all no matter how bad your roads are. Unless you are doing hardcore rock crawling with 2 wheels in the air or jumping it off sanddunes which might flex the chassis. Neither of which you are going to do with an 2WD MUV.

The BOF will be useful if you are going to be towing or if your car gets into a major accident where it is written off by insurance and you still decide to repair it. Example: getting sandwiched between 2 trucks.

Last edited by Cresterk : 5th April 2023 at 20:51.
Old 5th April 2023, 20:53   #11
BHPian

I would recommend picking up a preowned Crysta ZX AT if it fits within your budget. Crysta is more robust and comfortable comparing with the new hycross. I had checked the hycross and apart from the new gizmos, Crysta interior didn't look aged to me. It just does the job and additionally you get more airbags than the hycross.
LOF is designed to last than the monocoque chassis and Hycross still has to prove its reliablity.
superchamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 22:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea1313 View Post
The sole reason you went to the showroom is because of that crysta, dont belittle a product so popular only because its a successful taxi. There are 1000s of crysta out there and toyota with their track record wont disappoint in terms of service/part availability even if it gets discontinued. I guess you have understood my vote with this. Hands down its the crysta
Yes,merely because a car is used as a taxi it shouldn’t be underrated. The Mercedes is a popular taxi in many places abroad. On other hand,such popularity should be viewed as an affirmation of its quality and durability. The Crysta has these traits in abundance and it doesn’t deserve to be treated as something lesser just because the taxi guys like it.
Narendranath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 12:05   #13
BHPian

If you're ok with used examples, I would vote for a 2.8z. Since you're considering to buy new why not save some lakhs and get a Crysta 2.8 and enjoy the last few good diesel powered cars. As others pointed out Crysta might not have the latest features, but it does come with few great features - Reliability and Torqueee Diesel..
Old 6th April 2023, 12:19   #14
BHPian

Wow, what an almost equal vote split between the two

Personally, I would pick the older Crysta only and only if I want a Diesel. If AT is desired, then a pre-owned 2.8 AT.

For all other reasons, Hycross is the answer.

Just look at the state of the previous gen Innovas today. Imagine as if those were on sale simultaneously in 2016-2017 with the Crystas. Even then you would see people preferring Crysta over them. No woder those are still going strong and during the typical 'Toyota job'. But from a resale perspective and a consumer preference perspective, Crysta would win. Same analogy applies to the Hycross. Over the long term, Hycross will win.
Old 6th April 2023, 12:47   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
No, despite what some 'experts' say, the body-on-frame vs monocoque nature isn't going to matter at all no matter how bad your roads are. Unless you are doing hardcore rock crawling with 2 wheels in the air or jumping it off sanddunes which might flex the chassis. Neither of which you are going to do with an 2WD MUV.

The BOF will be useful if you are going to be towing or if your car gets into a major accident where it is written off by insurance and you still decide to repair it. Example: getting sandwiched between 2 trucks.
Overall - Hycross is the better automobile, no doubt.

However BOF matters for long drives, the amount of isolation that it provides over slightly rougher roads can make the difference for users that are not blessed with very good roads all around.

Suspension is fitted to a separate chassis than the body itself, so that difference is going to be there.

Crysta looks good now after the release of Hycross, I never thought I`d say that about Crysta.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks