Team-BHP - Kia Seltos Facelift | Which engine + gearbox combination would you buy?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   Kia Seltos Facelift | Which engine + gearbox combination would you buy? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/269865-kia-seltos-facelift-engine-gearbox-combination-would-you-buy-3.html)

I own a Creta 1.5 diesel AT, so can comment a bit here.
1) The car is frugal.
2) The engine is really refined and smooth.
3) Powertrain is reliable and traffic-proof (if you get what I mean).
4) The car can take you from A to the distant B very smoothly and efficiently, and without you feeling shortchanged.
But- does it have the feel of a driver's car? Does it set your adrenaline going? Does it give you that "power at disposal and then some" feeling? The answer is a big NO.
In short this car is the MasterCard while you are looking at other esoteric highs in life. Therefore , the 1.5 turbo DCT is the way to go.
Incidentally, I drove the Verna 1.5 DCT a few days ago, and was gob smacked by its electrifying feel in terms of performance and smoothness. That powertrain feels really premium.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sufficient_shop (Post 5614853)
I'm relatively new to this and keep reading concerns like this about DCT. But are there really any issues with Hyundai/Kia DCT or are these just speculations? How long have then been around? I'm yet to see anyone (Verna users?) having ANY sort of complaints against DCT. Hence confused.

Kia even ditched the 7-speed DCT that's in the Seltos sold in the US for a more traditional 8-speed automatic transmission starting this year (model year 2024). Here it's paired to 1.6 liter turbocharged engine though, producing 195 hp and 264 Nm of torque.

From Car and Driver -

Kia also ditched the outgoing Seltos 1.6-liter's seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission in favor of a more traditional eight-speed with a good ol' torque converter. Sure, the turbo engine's newfound power is both immediately noticeable and much appreciated, but it's the new transmission's more polished behavior that makes the biggest difference in the Seltos's on-road demeanor. Taking off and stopping are both much smoother now.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-seltos-drive/

Quote:

Originally Posted by inwester (Post 5615315)
Kia even ditched the 7-speed DCT that's in the Seltos sold in the US for a more traditional 8-speed automatic transmission starting this year (model year 2024). Here it's paired to 1.6 liter turbocharged engine though, producing 195 hp and 264 Nm of torque.

Thank you. I Googled around a bit and the general consensus is the new 8-speed CVT feels better than 7-speed DCT in city traffic. But don't see Kia bringing it anytime soon to India. Don't know if Hyundai will provide it on the upcoming Creta facelift though :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by headbanger (Post 5614730)
Oh No!!! This assessment has put me in a fix. I had pre-booked Seltos GTX+DCT originally. The bone jarring ride quality of 18 inch rims and dark interior ambience due to all black interior theme felt so bad that I was clear in my mind that I cannot take this variant.

Why drop such a great engine or the top variant just because of the rim size?

After delivery, I'd swap the rims & tyres out to the R17 size of the lower variants. You will easily get a buyer for the R18 as the Seltos is such a popular car and somehow, many car enthusiasts go for bigger, impractical rim sizes.

I own the 1.5 NA IVT combo from the previous gen (2022). The odo reading is ~9500 km, out of which 75% is in the city. If your use is primarily within city, this is a great engine. For bumper to bumper traffic I haven't driven a better car. The creep function is perfectly tuned and thereafter the throttle response is linear, predictable, making it very effortless.

On highways I will say that the performance is adequate. It can cruise at 120 kmph speeds without fuss. I haven't driven beyond that due to the continuous speed alarm, and in any case I restrict myself to around 100 on highways. This is not the engine you want if you are the types who likes to aggressively overtake and close narrow gaps. Regular overtakes are a breeze. Paddle shifters help.

I have noticed that the IVT does rather well on inclines and hills, though it sometimes groans quite a bit. I have taken on some very steep inclines in the Western Ghats and it has never let me down.

For anyone planning to opt for this combo, remember that flooring the pedal is counter productive. The gearbox seems to get confused and remains that way for a long time as if it has gotten into a bad mood. Accelerate gradually with a light foot, in a linear manner and it will reward you.

Way too much talk on the DCT reliability. We have two in the extended family.

1) Creta SX(O) Turbo DCT
2) Seltos GTX+ Turbo DCT

Both are nearing 1.5lac kms and haven’t had a single transmission related issue or otherwise. Absolutely no niggles or issues.

Now we’ve added a i20 Nline N8 DCT to our own garage and I can say this : these turbo DCTs should be the choice, if picking up a Petrol.

So for us, the DCT and the turbo motor have been supremely reliable.

A close friend of mine had commented to me for my current car Jazz VX MT 1.2 i-VTEC engine. "A driver's enthusiasm is always when his/her vehicle responds to the affectionate pedal press in the same way as it is pressed". This sentiment echoes well only when its a turbo engine.

Completely echo the sentiment of many here who have voted for 1.5 Turbo Petrol. "If you have not driven a turbo, then you have never seen what an engine's capability can bring a smile to your face". Have voted for 1.5 GTX+ DCT Petrol in this poll.

Move on from fuel frugal, mileage crunching, it is time to relish the child in you when you revv hard.

Clutchless manual with turbo petrol is not a good pairing. To be honest i haven't test driven any yet but it really sounds boring and a poor match. I prefer a manual and has a pre-facelift 1.4L turbo with the manual transmission in the garage. I asked the SA about the pairing and he said there would be some lag after we shift before the gears slot in. Why get a gearbox that's not instantly responsive with a turbo engine? If i were to buy a Seltos today, it would be the DCT without any hesitation, although being a manual lover, i might look at Taigun or Kushaq as my first choice. Unfortunately GT manual of both are not being sold at a good rate and most dealers have only those manufactured in early 2022.

KIA is planning to launch Seltos & Sonet in 1.5-litre Diesel MT variant since iMT is not selling much...

I prefer them to launch it in 1.5-litre Turbo Petrol MT as well...

https://www.rushlane.com/kia-seltos-...-12479075.html