Team-BHP - Kia Seltos Facelift | Which engine + gearbox combination would you buy?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   Kia Seltos Facelift | Which engine + gearbox combination would you buy? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/269865-kia-seltos-facelift-engine-gearbox-combination-would-you-buy.html)

Kia Seltos Facelift | Which engine + gearbox combination would you buy?-2023_kia_seltos_facelift_13.jpg

The Kia Seltos facelift has surely managed to pick up where it left off in this highly contested segment. It's doing good numbers which was expected from it and Kia's strategy of something for everyone is surely a contributor to it. In fact, Kia claims to have received 31,716 bookings for the Seltos facelift in just a month since bookings began on July 14, 2023. Just look at the engine and gearbox combinations on offer and you will know why. There are 3 engine options - a 113 BHP, 1.5-litre naturally aspirated (NA) petrol, a 158 BHP, 1.5-litre turbo-petrol and a 114 BHP, 1.5-litre turbo-diesel. You get a 6-speed manual transmission with the 1.5 NA petrol engine with an option of a CVT automatic. The 1.5 turbo-petrol can be had with a 6-speed iMT or a 7-speed DCT automatic. Lastly, the 1.5 diesel engine gets a 6-speed iMT as standard and the top-end variants can be opted with a 6-speed torque converter automatic. In essence, there are 3 engine options, 2 types of MT options, and 3 types of automatic gearboxes on offer.

So if were to buy a Kia Seltos, which engine and gearbox combination would you pick & why?

Kia Seltos Facelift | Which engine + gearbox combination would you buy?-seltos-engine-comparison.jpg

The 1.5-litre naturally aspirated petrol engine is the go-to choice for city dwellers. It's refined, smooth, and has enough punch to get around the city. It's offered with a 6-speed manual transmission and a CVT automatic. Note that the CVT automatic misses out on features like the 10.25-inch digital instrument cluster, wireless charger, ventilated seats, 8-way powered seats and most importantly ADAS functions (GTX+ & X-Line).
Kia Seltos Facelift | Which engine + gearbox combination would you buy?-1.1.jpg

Next up you have the 1.5-litre turbocharged petrol engine that replaces the older 1.4-litre turbocharged engine. This engine is more powerful than before and has the highest numbers in the segment. You can have this engine with a fast 7-speed DCT automatic transmission or a 6-speed iMT. Read our detailed drive report here.
Kia Seltos Facelift | Which engine + gearbox combination would you buy?-2023_kia_seltos_facelift_05.jpg

Lastly, for the mile munchers, Kia also has the 1.5-litre diesel engine on offer. This engine may not be the most powerful in the segment, but it has enough grunt to keep you engaged over those long distances. It is again offered with a 6-speed iMT and you get a 6-speed torque converter automatic transmission. You can read our drive report here.
Kia Seltos Facelift | Which engine + gearbox combination would you buy?-_img2155.jpg

Let me put one thing straight = You will NEVER regret going for the most powerful engine on offer. It will reward you with a million smiles & innumerable memories...priceless in my opinion! YOLO and all that. After 5 - 10 years of owning the car, that extra 1 - 4 lakhs you spent on the better engine won't matter. But you will always give yourself a pat on the back for buying the superior, faster motor. If you are reading this on Team-BHP, odds are, you love driving and this point is all the more relevant. I paid premium money for the 1st-gen City Vtec (used one at the same price as a new 2nd-gen City), 530d M-Sport (5-lakhs in the used market) & Thar Turbo-Petrol (in terms of its abysmal 6 kmpl city FE). But I have derived a lot of pleasure & joy from these fast engines.

Conversely, I know a lot of people who regretted buying the City 1.3L instead of the 1.5L, the Creta / Seltos 1.5L NA instead of the 1.4L Turbo, the Octavia 1.4L instead of the 1.8L, the S-Cross 1.3L instead of the 1.6L. But I have yet to meet a single person who regretted buying the more powerful engine.

That's why my first choice with the Seltos Facelift will be the ~160 BHP turbo-petrol with the DCT. Only if my monthly running was very high (it isn't) would I choose the Diesel AT instead as that engine + gearbox are well-tuned too.

A six speed TC with a super refined diesel engine will definitely keep you happy for a longer time. Only if the petrol engine had a TC transmission it would have been my first choice.

Assuming that I'm going to buy a Seltos, I'd rather go for the fastest and most loaded petrol car they have. What's the point of buying a blingy car if you don't purchase all of the bling? lol:

Even if I had high running, I'll never touch a BS6 diesel car. Not worth the DPF heartburns.

In my opinion, there are only two options worth checking out, the 1.5 L Turbo Petrol 7DCT or the 1.5 L Diesel 6AT, both are great in their own right, the 1.5 L Turbo Petrol 7DCT offer great power and performance for those who care for getting the most powerful and fast engine out there, and don't mind the same even at the cost of fuel efficiency.

But for others who are not living in NCR, and want a reliable, tried and tested smooth 6-speed AT that gets the job done, with great fuel efficiency at the same price as the Turbo DCT, The 1.5 L Diesel 6AT is a great option to go for.

I have more than enough experience in this case, as two of my relatives, one in his early 40s and the other in his 60s both considering the new Seltos, the choice of engine and gearbox combo was different in both cases, as their priorities were different, the first one went with Turbo Petrol 7DCT because YOLO and the elder one went for the Diesel 6AT as his priorities were different, moreover, he felt, with the sad state of roads in Kerala, where is he going to use all that 160 horses! I agree with them and feel both are right!

With the prices being exactly the same, the Diesel would make much more sense for price-conscious, mileage-conscious buyers who don't need a fast car! but need a reliable mile muncher. So my vote goes for the Diesel AT!

If you like the power then look no further and pick the Petrol 1.5 DCT.

Considering both powertrains sell for the same price for the comparable variant, I voted for the Diesel Auto variant over the Petrol 1.5 DCT. I know there are DPF issues reported by certain members (including me in Kia Carens), but the DCT isn't super reliable either. So net-net its a wash in my book.

From a pure efficiency perspective, here are some modeled numbers using the below assumptions.

Kia Seltos Facelift | Which engine + gearbox combination would you buy?-kia-seltos-diesel-vs.-petrol.jpgAssumptions -

Diesel AT fuel efficiency - City 13 kmpl/ Highway 18 kmpl
Petrol 1.5 DCT fuel efficiency - City 9 kmpl/ Highway 16 kmpl

Diesel cost ~ Rs. 96
Petrol cost ~ Rs. 106

Annual running 5k/10k/15k; with 3 scenarios of City:Highway driving, 75:25. 50:50 and 25:75.

Inflation on fuel prices 5%/year.

Obviously, the savings are a lot more if you are primarily using it in city or in traffic (e.g. Kerala "highways").

Quote:

Originally Posted by inwester (Post 5614680)
Assumptions -

Are the efficiency figures quoted for diesel including the extra fuel a Diesel vehicle consumes during regeneration? I believe we need to keep the vehicle running for 30 mins or so, and in the same duration the rpm would rise to around 2-4K and also we need to keep the AC on full blast.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have always believed to own the highest power rated engine car. So 1.5 Turbo DCT for me. Power may not be for racing the car but comes very useful while on highways for overtaking in tricky situations as also while driving up the mountains. Automatics is the way world has been driving the cars for decades and have been driving my auto cars outside India. Cars in India have low engine power as compared to same models available outside. Perhaps this is the reason why "enthusiast" people still love stick drives in India to revv the engine hard in lower gears to squeeze out more torque.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 5613912)
Conversely, I know a lot of people who regretted buying the City 1.3L instead of the 1.5L, the Creta / Seltos 1.5L NA instead of the 1.4L Turbo, the Octavia 1.4L instead of the 1.8L, the S-Cross 1.3L instead of the 1.6L. But I have yet to meet a single person who regretted buying the more powerful engine.

Oh No!!! This assessment has put me in a fix. I had pre-booked Seltos GTX+DCT originally. The bone jarring ride quality of 18 inch rims and dark interior ambience due to all black interior theme felt so bad that I was clear in my mind that I cannot take this variant.

Heartbroken, I shifted my booking to Seltos HTX IVT model with 1.5NA engine. It's a no-nonsense variant that appeals to the head. The only other option I could opt for was HTX+DCT with 17 inchers that offer a far acceptable ride quality and the premium brown upholstery is a treat to experience. The downside is that the way this variant is placed at just 60k below GTX+DCT. For this 60k I lose ADAS, 360 cam, auto hold, EPB etc.

Just when I thought to end this whole variant confusion by going with the head, your viewpoint has just reignited that confusion. HTX+DCT versus HTX IVT - - heart vs mind? :crying

Having now owned and driven the new Verna with the same 160hp/253nm turbo petrol engine and 7DCT combo, I have voted for the same power train.

If the suspension is still stiff, do consider the Verna. It has far better ride quality and should be cheaper as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by inwester (Post 5614680)
If you like the power then look no further and pick the Petrol 1.5 DCT.

Considering both powertrains sell for the same price for the comparable variant, I voted for the Diesel Auto variant over the Petrol 1.5 DCT. I know there are DPF issues reported by certain members (including me in Kia Carens), but the DCT isn't super reliable either. So net-net its a wash in my book.

From a pure efficiency perspective, here are some modeled numbers using the below assumptions.

Attachment 2497182
  • If you drive only around 5k a year, choose the Petrol variant. It's not worth the hassle. The savings over a 5 year period will be around Rs. 60k-1 lakh Diesel vs. Petrol.

• If you drive 10k a year or more then choose the Diesel variant. The fuel cost savings will range between Rs. 1.5 lakhs to 3 lakhs (for 15k/year).
Assumptions -

Diesel cost ~ Rs. 96
Petrol cost ~ Rs. 106

Annual running 5k/10k/15k; with 3 scenarios of City:Highway driving, 75:25. 50:50 and 25:75.

Inflation on fuel prices 5%/year.

Obviously, the savings are a lot more if you are primarily using it in city or in traffic (e.g. Kerala "highways").

I have the same opinion if one wants power with all the bells and whistles go for the top variant else one can consider petrol/diesel variants depending on annual running and budget.

I am still not convinced of turbo petrol and DCT in Indian driving conditions as their long term reliability is a concern and are not very fuel efficient if we are not light on throttle.

I have experienced Kia CVT and would say it is a safe bet for someone who doesn’t seek spirited driving or has no need for munching miles. It just does the job(however Honda is still better for 1.5 NA + CVT)

Quote:

Originally Posted by headbanger (Post 5614730)
Oh No!!! This assessment has put me in a fix. I had pre-booked Seltos GTX+DCT originally. The bone jarring ride quality of 18 inch rims and dark interior ambience due to all black interior theme felt so bad that I was clear in my mind that I cannot take this variant.

Heartbroken, I shifted my booking to Seltos HTX IVT model with 1.5NA engine. It's a no-nonsense variant that appeals to the head. The only other option I could opt for was HTX+DCT with 17 inchers that offer a far acceptable ride quality and the premium brown upholstery is a treat to experience. The downside is that the way this variant is placed at just 60k below GTX+DCT. For this 60k I lose ADAS, 360 cam, auto hold, EPB etc.

Just when I thought to end this whole variant confusion by going with the head, your viewpoint has just reignited that confusion. HTX+DCT versus HTX IVT - - heart vs mind? :crying

Hi - here's one for the other team...my Seltos IVT is 1 year + old and I've never faced any issues with the power - or lack thereof. A dear friend has the Turbo DCT and he also obsevered that he couldn't see any substantial difference in power.

Unless you're into racing/rallying on the highway;)

Cheers!

The 1.5L Turbo petrol DCT is a driver's delight. It is one of those rare cars that combines the best of looks, features, and safety (albeit not tested yet) with a gem of an engine under the hood. In Team-BHP parlance, it definitely punches way above its weight. The price seems to be high, but considering current market benchmark and inflation rate, it is reasonable.
I would definitely buy this variant!

DCT in Indian conditions is a BIG risk. Would never buy it for my peace of mind. Although it’s among the best in the market. The diesel AT would’ve been my first choice, but it’s crippled with DPF and related issues. The petrol NA with IVT, though not the most powerful one, offers just the right combination of enough power, great drivability and above everything else, peace of mind.