Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2023, 15:29   #1
BHPian

Picking up a 2012 Nissan X Trail

Posting it behalf of a friend who is looking for a diesel SUV under 6 lakh in Bangalore and found a 2012 Nissan X Trail SLX Diesel AT for 5 lakh asking price. This is an interesting SUV, launched in India back in 2009, way ahead of its time, 6 airbags, 6 speed AT with smooth shifts, 4X4 with all the bells and whistles. However, I value his friendship more than a car, told him NO! Suggested to look for first gen Innova earlier models, my first preference. Scorpios, Safaris etc.

The reason for this post is to know if anyone thinks X Trail is a good buy today?

Thanks

Last edited by jonesanto : 8th October 2023 at 15:35.
jonesanto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 18:23   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Picking up a 2012 Nissan X Trail

Brilliant car, very sorted, you'll never meet an unhappy X-Trail owner (similar to Skoda Yeti).

But too old. Buying an 11-year old CBU doesn't make sense. Just asking for trouble. Even the best of cars age with time, and part replacements can be expensive.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 09:00   #3
BHPian

I would also suggest not to go for a second hand 11 year old discontinued CBU car however lucrative the deal or car.

Having said that, it would be wise to check with the local Nissan ASC or an FNG, with regard's to service costs, parts availability and costs related to it. This will help your friend make an informed decision.
Old 9th October 2023, 09:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesanto View Post
Posting it behalf of a friend who is looking for a diesel SUV under 6 lakh in Bangalore and found a 2012 Nissan X Trail SLX Diesel AT for 5 lakh asking price.
The reason for this post is to know if anyone thinks X Trail is a good buy today?

Thanks
I would buy it if this is the second car in the house and I get it for 3 to 3.5 lakhs.

Why dont you make that offer and see how it goes. Trust me, the seller is not getting any offers for this car!
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 22:46   #5
BHPian

If your friend wants to spend most of his time in FNGs for repair work and procuring the parts of the car then suggest him to buy it.

If this vehicle was a 2012 Innova then my answer would be different but for a 2012 Nissan( whose after-sales service is hit or a miss for their current cars) no way.

Last edited by vattyboy : 9th October 2023 at 22:49.
vattyboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 12:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you ask me, stay away from the car. I owned the Micra once upon a time, and while it was a very good car with trouble-free ownership for me, the parent company and their dealers are incompetent. This was the case when they were active in the Indian market and had the Micra and Sunny on sale. Today Nissan is just a wee bit of its former glory, so I would stay away from the X-Trail no matter how good the condition of the car is. Nissan neither has any good service centres nor the willpower to cater to the existing owners. While their products may be good and on par with global levels, the same cannot be said about the company now in 2023.

My Micra was flawless when I sold it in 2018, and I am sure it will still be with the new owner. On a hilarious note, I got a Ford Ecosport as a replacement, but then Ford decided to part ways with me!! Once bitten, twice shy!
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 17:27   #7
BHPian

It would be an absolute no, given the fact that the car is a CBU and with sourcing of spares extremely questionable and also due to Nissan's thin service networks, it would be better to pass it off.
Old 20th October 2023, 23:20   #8
BHPian

One of my cousins owns one of these. He had to get a 2nd cheap car because this was always waiting for spares. Id say please stay away from this product. It's built really well and has very solid dynamics but sourcing spares will be a nightmare. Even a Yeti is easier to maintain than this. If ur frnd is looking for a diesel SUV AT, I'd suggest a duster or terrano amt.
venukrithish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2023, 22:17   #9
BHPian

Other than the pointers already mentioned I'm also not sure if there are currently any competent folks available to service a rare and complicated Nissan vehicle that is the X-trail. You / your acquaintance might wish to test drive the vehicle in question and check for any abnormalities. If you hear a whining / humming sound while driving at speeds beyond 60-70 kmph (I have a gut feeling you will) then it is an indication of a busted transfer case. To get it fixed on an X-trail in India would imply a considerable investment of money, time, patience and one may have to endure many many sleepless nights. This is just one example of the many things that could go wrong in a 12 year old vehicle.

Last edited by Sidjohri : 26th October 2023 at 22:19.
Sidjohri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 16:12   #10
BHPian

We had this Nissan Xtrail in silver color back in Africa. And by god, i want this car today as well. This was an epitome of SUV finesse. By far the most fun to drive, spacious and 2wd to 4wd mode was impeccable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks