Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2024, 18:58   #31
BHPian

Re: A versatile car within 20 Lakhs

Since you haven't mentioned anything about the size of the car, consider the Virtus

The same engine options from the Taigun, but in a sedan form!

If not then the Honda Elevate! Taigun would be my third choice out of them all!

Do let me know what you think!

Cheers and happy hunting!
Old 25th January 2024, 20:02   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai Verna 1.5 MPI SX AT

Personally, in that budget, I will pick a Virtus 1.0 Topline MT
PrasannaDhana is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 21:20   #33
BHPian

1 - Sell both of your cars, they both are 1L+ km run. I usually don't apply this logic but in your case, it makes sense to sell them both and buy a new one.
2 - You're looking for reliability and fuss-free ownership, please stay away from any VAG car.
Kia Carens is your best bet. It has tons of space, a decent powertrain + AT box, and is fairly reliable as well. Kia Seltos HTX 1.5 Petrol CVT also fits your budget and requirements.
Old 25th January 2024, 21:38   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
I took a short test drive of the car and was quite shocked with how poor the braking is. Also the underwhelming performance of the 1.5L + AT combo makes me wonder how the car will perform during long drives
I can share my two cents on this as an owner. Moving from Figo and Punto, initially even I felt brakes are lacking. But, having done 20k kms in one year with some seriously long trips I can say they don't lack overall bite but the pedal to braking ratio is not same like other cars. Mostly till 50% pedal press braking is not as proportionate as other cars. Once past 50% brake input, braking is no less. But even I took couple of days to adapt to this. God knows why Maruti can't set it like Ford.

I moved from a remapped Figo to XL6. The power was definitely less but the sheer refinement of engine makes up for less power. You can decide what you want to prioritize. Even my Jimny is not as refined as this K15C. Sometimes I do play with paddle shifters for some redlining. Progress may not be fast but the sheer note of that is quite soothing.

On Ergo: I didn't need a 6 seater but ever since I got this my parents and in laws are the happiest due to the comfort and space it provides. This does spoil you with oodles of space and storage options it offers for the price. My parents were never into any 500km+ round trip road trips. But they happily enjoyed a 5000km trip covering many states North-South.

Final note. If you choose any K15C car, go for AT rather than manual.

Last edited by ChauhanSaurabh : 25th January 2024 at 21:44.
ChauhanSaurabh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2024, 01:36   #35
BHPian

I'm probably going against the flow here - but I think the new Creta ticks all your boxes. On safety, while it's not yet tested, It does feel a lot better build than the Hyundais of the past.

Another one I'd recommend is the new Harrier. It's an amazing platform (Personally feel it's better than the taigun) and it's a Hoot to drive. Go for a mid variant - It'll serve you very well for the next 1L kms and more!
Old 26th January 2024, 05:10   #36
BANNED

Adding to what the experts said, my 2 cents from my very own experience of owning a honda city.
Please carefully list down the features you want. Ur steed's prices will move upwards based on the features you shortlist. Remember that loading after market accessories may become a problem later. And my choice would be the honda elevate simply because the primary drivers are going to be your parents. If not the undying creta. Its looking beautiful again after the new getup changeover. You wont lose anything on a testdrive! Congrats. Happy hunting
Old 26th January 2024, 15:53   #37

While I have nothing to add about the vehicles you've shortlisted, I think you're doing yourself an injustice by not considering the Koreans. You might not like them for safety, driving dynamics or ride quality, but they are certainly not unreliable. Our 2011 Hyundai Verna has now completed 2,30,000 KMs without any major mechanical issues and is still running well. While the Koreans might have had some electronic niggles in the past, (i20 AC failures) they've mostly been ironed out and resolved. If anything, it's the Germans and Indians that might leave you stranded on the roads. (DSG, start/stop issues, usual Tata/Mahindra niggles). All I'm saying is, reliability shouldn't be a deterrent against Koreans.
mrstealthy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 14:14   #38
BHPian

Hi Sreesh1009,

If I may share my 2 cents worth here :

Let's keep it simple then. Since you have ruled Germans, Koreans and Tata / Mahindra who are the most active players in this segment, that leaves you with :

1. Honda Elevate : Tried and tested 1.5L IVTEC motor paired with a smooth 7 step CVT. Brilliantly tuned powertrain. Won't exactly set the tarmac on fire, but its sufficiently sporty and powerful for 90% of your / your parents' use cases. Can't go wrong with this one especially on the reliability front, as it's basically a City in CSUV guise. It's not packing gazillion features, but as far as basics are concerned, they have got the car right. Probably the ideal choice for your parents too.

2. MS XL6 : The 1.5L mill won't be as enthusiastic as the 1.5 mill from Honda, but it's reliable enough and will serve you well for years to come. Couple that with the fantastic ASS experience from Maruti, peace of mind is guaranteed. 1.5L + 6AT is not a scorcher at all, and the budget grade interiors might not be to your taste either. However, as a functional vehicle, it ticks all the right boxes.

Hope this helps, cheers!

Regards,
SS
Old 28th January 2024, 12:23   #39
BHPian

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and advice.

I did take a look at the Carens and was quite impressed with the quality of the interiors as well as features on offer. I've asked my dad to take a look at the Diesel-AT combination.

I will take a look at the other cars suggested by the members who contributed to this thread.

Thank you once again and hope to get back to you soon!
Old 30th January 2024, 19:44   #40

Where do people get their opinions on VW Taigun being a poor unreliable car? We have a Taigun 1.5AT in the family. Highway mileage is fantastic, because of 2 cylinder shutdown tech. Traveling in it is super comfortable, driving it is much less tiring. No problems with DSG to date, almost 2 yrs now. No surprise bills at the service centre. Only yearly service required. Have had multiple claims at the centre with only regular Indian hassle and nothing out of the ordinary. Sure there isn't enough space available for luggage like some others in the same price, but safety is leagues above any Hyundai/Maruti. Please don't buy tin cans if you can afford not to.
Old 31st January 2024, 00:19   #41
BHPian

I see lot of good suggestions out there already. In my opinion the best options with least headache would be the following.

1st position - Honda Elevate: CVT gearbox with super refined 1.5l NA engine. Great ground clearance with ample boot space. Hassle free service with robust build quality.

2nd position - Maruti XL6: 6 speed TC transmission with tried and tested 1.5l NA engine. Ample space and low maintenance. This would win the most VFM award.

3rd position (Wild card entry) - Citroen C3 aircross: 6 speed torque converter transmission coupled with 1.2l turbo engine. Best in class ride quality and suspension. This would be the most comfortable option for your parents.

Happy hunting.
Old 31st January 2024, 13:32   #42
BHPian

Hyundai/Kia, Maruti/Toyota, VW/Skoda should be your order of choices.

While you had a bad experience with one Hyundai, you equally (in fact more) are happier with another Hyundai in your garage. Your i20 experience is one of a kind and totally uncommon.

So you cannot go wrong with Creta/Seltos AT (CVT/IVT). Karens/Alcazar is the one if you are looking for more than 5 seats. A big NO for DCT/DSG since because of your primary parents usage.

It is otherwise regarding your observation about the German duo (Kushaq/Taigun) about the experience because the only 2 good things about the German duo are engine and chassis. The best in-class handling viz-a-viz driving experience of the 1.5 Turbo MT. Other than that the India specific 2.0 VAG cars are a significant downgrade in terms of build, quality, fit and finish, aircon, etc.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks