Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2024, 15:31   #16
BHPian

Re: XUV700 AX5 AT (P) vs Kia Seltos GT Line

Mahindra has simply nailed the combination of a potent engine and lovely gearbox in the XUV7OO, with acres of space and good-to-have features too. I'd feel safer in the XUV than the Seltos too, since the latter doesnt have a very strong record. If the bigger dimensions are not a concern, then it makes perfect sense to go for the XUV.
Old 11th March 2024, 15:38   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru80 View Post
We Tded the XUV on partial route. The FE dropped to as low as 4.5 overall was 6.5 Safe to say XUV petrol AT is out. Trying to get our hands on a manual to check if FE is any better.

OT: the updated 2024 AX5 gets reverse camera and cruise control at no extra cost.

Verna rejected over looks. The wildcard is Virtus GT. But friend's heart set on an SUV.

This is good advice. Thanks. Even the SA wasn't sure of the feature differentiation.
I suggest buy a diesel auto. Though more expensive, it is fuel efficient (11-12 in the city) and engine and gearbox are well tuned.
Old 11th March 2024, 15:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is good advice. Thanks. Even the SA wasn't sure of the feature differentiation.
GT Line also gets dual exhaust which looks sporty and also sounds better!
Old 11th March 2024, 16:05   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

If running costs are a concern - get the Seltos, I think its the best vehicle in it`s segment.

A vehicle like XUV is going to be significantly more expensive to run than a Seltos even if the purchase cost is the same.

I like the Seltos very much, even in the base variant there is so much value to the customer for the money that is being asked and it drives well too but XUV is the superior car, it will also outlast the Seltos not only in it`s durability but as the family expands and you have more things to carry, XUV`s space and the fact that it`s a higher segment vehicle will allow a longer ownership time, usually 8-10 years for that segment vehicles.

In other words, Seltos is perfect till you upgrade to an XUV - but only buy the AX7-L with AT, minimum this is needed.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 16:39   #20
BHPian

Why not an EV like say ZS EV or Kona. The use case with daily city running including traffic jams is actually more suited for an EV rather than fuel guzzlers like XUV 700 P AT. Try Kona and you would be surprised with the level of comfort for Driver and Co-passenger seats. Will be cheaper than both above options to buy and much cheaper to run on a daily basis. It has all the features of Seltos (Smaller screens though) and performance and safety of XUV 700.
Old 11th March 2024, 17:55   #21
BHPian

I would strongly recommend the XUV mainly considering the Traffic drive. DCT’s tend to handle heat less efficiently than Torque Converters which are simply more abuse friendly and reliable in the long run. Thats the simple reason why dual clutch autobox cars face lesser gearbox failure in European countries (colder with lesser traffic) vs in India (warmer with more traffic).

Also, Kia has just not gotten the DCT reliability sorted yet unlike the VW group which has been doing DSG’s for two decades and yet even they see occasional DSG gremlins till date.

My 2012 Verna with the 4-speed TC worked like a trusty workhorse for 6 years driving on the same traffic route in Mumbai daily despite clocking high Km’s. My 2018 Polo GT TSI on the other hand started facing DSG jerks just within 2 years of driving on the same route.
Old 11th March 2024, 17:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuvmudapa View Post
I suggest buy a diesel auto. Though more expensive, it is fuel efficient (11-12 in the city) and engine and gearbox are well tuned.
Diesel not being considered because of Delhi NCR's 10-year rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
In other words, Seltos is perfect till you upgrade to an XUV - but only buy the AX7-L with AT, minimum this is needed.
AX7-L is out of budget. Max can stretch to AX7 but don't see value in it. With the latest updates AX5 is the most VFM variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4Cars View Post
Why not an EV like say ZS EV or Kona.
No scope of charging either at office or home. Also, it will be the primary car for occasional outstation trips.

We are veering towards XUV petrol manual, but waiting to TD/better idea about mileage.

The thought of 200 bhp under your right foot is very tempting.
naru80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 18:17   #23
BHPian

Quote:
We are veering towards XUV petrol manual, but waiting to TD/better idea about mileage.
Manual for a daily city commute in Delhi Traffic is

DO NOT go for a manual as you will feel the pain and miss the AT daily. Better buy AX5 or less features than AX7 or more features with Manual.

I understand this is your primary car, but cars like ZS EV have enough range for outstation trips too. Also, Charger Infra is good towards around most of NCR and Highways leading to popular places. It will only improve from here on.
Old 12th March 2024, 00:29   #24

[quote=naru80;5735214]We Tded the XUV on partial route. The FE dropped to as low as 4.5 overall was 6.5 Safe to say XUV petrol AT is out. Trying to get our hands on a manual to check if FE is any better.

My father in law owns an AX7 PT MT. Have driven it in bumper to bumper traffic in Hyderabad (which isn’t as bad as Delhi) FE hovers between 7 to 8kmpl. But it is possible to get closer to 9 in the city in moderate traffic. On the highway have seen between 12-13kmpl

Im currently deciding between getting the Creta IVT SXO and an XUV700. Hoping this helps you, and your choice might help me
BuyersRemorse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 12:46   #25
BHPian

My recommendation will be to go for a Seltos GT.
But if you need a BIG car, Seltos can never give to that feel of XUV, irrespective of how much money you spend. Otherwise, it has all the bells and whistles, and everything looks tightly coupled, works well together. And since you are from NCR, please go for an automatic petrol car, so a Seltos IVT makes more sense to me. In fact, a better equipped Creta SXO IVT can be a solid option with 7 years of extended warranty, if your budget permits.
Old 12th March 2024, 17:13   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4Cars View Post
DO NOT go for a manual as you will feel the pain and miss the AT daily. Better buy AX5 or less features than AX7 or more features with Manual.
Buyer is an enthusiast driver. Manual not such a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuyersRemorse View Post
My father in law owns an AX7 PT MT. Have driven it in bumper to bumper traffic in Hyderabad (which isn’t as bad as Delhi) FE hovers between 7 to 8kmpl. But it is possible to get closer to 9 in the city in moderate traffic. On the highway have seen between 12-13kmpl
Thanks! This info helps. Tried 5 showrooms in Delhi NCR. No one has petrol manual for TD. Clutch travel, gear ratios we want to try out before finalizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivyanshuDiv View Post
Seltos IVT makes more sense to me.
Seltos IVT tried and rejected. Felt boring, like some bland form of transportation to get from point A to B.

Fun and exciting is the primary criteria.

Last edited by naru80 : 12th March 2024 at 17:15.
Old 21st March 2024, 23:27   #27
BHPian

XUV manual too rejected after an extensive TD of a friend's car. Apart from clutch being a bit spongy, a B2B drive starkly reinforced the need for an AT as a daily driver.

Went to Hyundai showroom. A nice SA insisted we TD the Creta IVT too. It's not fun but also not as bad as our first impression with Seltos IVT. On the positive side, it's 6 lakh cheaper. Easier to maintain. And gives great fuel efficiency.

So it's now narrowed down to a Creta S(0) variant @ ~17L which has everything required except an exciting engine.

Next option is N-line N8 DCT @ ~21L who's interiors are not very appealing.

And finally, the original choice GT Line. There is a lower S plus variant for ~ 21L after discounts.

GT Line @ ~23L is now not looking VFM at all.

Last edited by naru80 : 21st March 2024 at 23:30.
naru80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 11:18   #28

No offense but an Enthusiast driver to not come to the forum to decide what does he like, but get an extensive test ride (back to back) of both the vehicles and see what he like more!

For all other practical purposes the members have given excellent recos already.

But he should really TD the VW Skoda twins & Creta N-Line as well. The Thar should be good too!
Old 30th March 2024, 11:38   #29
BHPian

Quote:
My friend has shortlisted two cars and their specific variants as a daily driver:

XUV 700 AX5 AT (P) and Kia Seltos GT Line

Where XUV scores: safer, bigger, powerful

Where Seltos scores: features, reliability, city drivability

The prices are similar for both.

The use case is 40km Noida to Delhi commute on weekdays in peak rush hour. Please suggest. It will be 100% self driven by an enthusiast driver.

My recco is the Seltos HTX+ which is a lakh cheaper on road, comes with the beautiful tan upholstery and more comfortable 17in wheels minus ADAS.
City traffic - Seltos better than 700 with respect to size.
City traffic - 700 way better than Seltos with respect to transmission (TC >> DCT).
Enthusiastic driving/performance - Seltos far better than 700.
Mileage - 700 will be too thirsty and will give you only single digit number in city due to high power 2L engine. 700 will be thirsty even out on the highways.

If you ok with the space, my recommendation is Seltos and only Seltos for a pure enthusiast. Even otherwise, Seltos it is for daily city drive in the occasional highway use. Alternatively you can also consider Taigun/Kushaq 1.5.

The choice of the variant is subjective based on your likes and dislikes.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 30th March 2024 at 11:39.
Old 30th March 2024, 12:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

Any specific reason why Maruti Grand Vitara hybrid is not being considered? Sure, it won't be as fun to drive as a Seltos but it's worthwhile to have a look.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks