Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Spoilt for choice - Which mini SUV to go for?
Forrester 11 40.74%
CR-V 11 40.74%
Tucson 3 11.11%
Other 2 7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2004, 22:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Shan2nu @ Nov. 18 2004,20:06)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]how fuel efficient is the Crv?
OD managed a best figure of 13.4 kmpl with the A/T. The M/T should be slightly more FE.

OD always seems to get the best FE figures.seems like they have the best drivers
the CRV has to be the most fuel efficient as its a honda.
if the looks of the forrester is not an issue,as it looksmore of an estate than a SUV,i think it is the machine to die for.
Old 18th November 2004, 23:37   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Shan2nu @ Nov. 18 2004,18:43)]Checked out the site, but the prob is, it's a old one. The CR-V still has a 2ltr engine with 142bhp according to that site.

But anyway, here's the chart

Shan2nu
That sounds like a Maruti ad campaign. I'd take it with a little pinch of salt, thank you.
Old 19th November 2004, 02:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

Plus look at the power to weight ratios of the Vitara and the CR-V.

With 142 bhp the CR-V had a PTWR of 96bhp/ton against the Vitara's 98 bhp/ton. But since the CR-V now has 152 bhp, that figure has shot up to 102 bhp/ton, which brings it on par with the Honda Accord which manages a 0-100 in 8.98 secs.

So, it seems that the CR-V just about edges out the Vitara in terms of performance.

Shan2nu
Old 19th November 2004, 02:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Thats assuming the new CR-V does not weigh more than the one mentioned in this chart.... right?
Old 19th November 2004, 02:30   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

umm by mistake i licked the cr-v option but that was my second choice
the forrester is the best drivers car for its price - well atleast as suv/estate
i guess u can meddle around with its engine to increase the power
anyone have pics of the new forrester

the cr-v comes a close second then endeavour for your friend ( for me its endeavour before cr-v )
the tucson will take some time in coming
if your friend can wait then it should be a sensible option if not best in its class
Old 19th November 2004, 02:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

plus the chart also mentions *though its not posted here* that the 4WD in CR-V comes into play only when the vehicle "senses" that its tyres are losing grip... which means that the driver doesnt really have any say in when to use 4WD and when not to...
am i right?

btw, take a look at the vitara's review at bsmotoring:
http://www.bsmotoring.com/2003/apr19_1.htm
BSMotoring has done a good job, once again. They have praised the vehicle for its performance but have trashed it for being a bit expensive and for its looks. The author even goes on to say that he likes the gypsy more than the vitara as far as looks are concerned.
Old 19th November 2004, 02:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Thats assuming the new CR-V does not weigh more than the one mentioned in this chart.... right?
It does not. The new CR-V has drive by wire, meaning that all those machanically connected componenets that used to add weight to the car are now GONE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]plus the chart also mentions *though its not posted here* that the 4WD in CR-V comes into play only when the vehicle "senses" that its tyres are losing grip... which means that the driver doesnt really have any say in when to use 4WD and when not to...
am i right?
Yup, it does, this makes the car that much more fuel efficient. And don't worry, the real time AWD system is so bloody quick that you won't even realise, when the switch over happens. If i'm not wrong the BMW X3 has this feature too. Why have AWD when you don't need it.

That's what makes the CR-V diff, it's got useful technology, which really makes sense having on a car.

Shan2nu
Old 19th November 2004, 07:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Well the real question is whether he does have any off-road use at all?

If he does, the CR-V should be the first to go. If he doesn't but yet wants to have an SUV that is as great to drive on the road and off it, it has to be the Forrester. I fell in love the day i read about it and obsessed the day i drove it. Absolutely wonderful even if it is impractical in terms of space, spare part prices and service setup. Its undoubtedly one of the best handling cars in India. Its 2.0 litre 120 bhp engine isn't free revving low-down, but after the 2800-3000 rpm mark it leaves even cars like the CR-V gasping.

Here's how i put it. If it's heart over head, the Forrester comes first on that list and the XL-7 next IMO. If it is head over heart, it's the CR-V first and Forrester next.

The CR-V is a great SAV in terms of performance. But i felt it to be a lil' detracted from the pure thrill driving experience. Maybe because i had a go at it after the Forrester. The Grand Vitara is one SUV you purely buy for that engine. Like the VTEC. I don't have any qualms in saying that it is one of the best V6s in the world. And neither does BSM.

Revv

Old 19th November 2004, 12:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Boy i would be confused to pieces if it were me buying a new SUV!!
Arent there any professionally unbiased car consultants who take a look at your requirements and then recommend a vehicle? They would have to be totally free of any influence from the manufacturers or dealers and should have a thorough knowledge of the industry and the vehicles..... something on the lines of a property dealer.
Maybe teamBHP should look at it as a source of revenue
Old 19th November 2004, 14:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] Its 2.0 litre 120 bhp engine isn't free revving low-down, but after the 2800-3000 rpm mark it leaves even cars like the CR-V gasping.
Dude, you're forgeting that the CR-V now has 152bhp amd a 5 speed M/T. Don't tell me that a 2ltr 120bhp Forester can outdrag a 2.4 ltr 152bhp M/T CR-V.

Remember the CR-V is just slightly heavier than the Accord, and with 10bhp more it's performance has to be something, you'd wanna look forward to. Boy o Boy, i can't wait for a road test.

Shan2nu
Old 19th November 2004, 14:30   #26
BHPian

the power to weight ratio of the new cr-v is 101 now. quite close to vitara at 98.

and vitara is only 13 cms longer than the cr-v.

for me size matters. i like my SUV's big! The bigger the better.

But my friend is a bit intimidated by the size of the vitara! so he might go in for the cr-v only!

thanks for all ur help boys!
Old 20th November 2004, 14:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

Why not wait a while and go for the Nissan X-Trail ?
Old 22nd November 2004, 14:20   #28
BHPian

x-trail is a good idea i think!

but is very expensive, compared to the others in this poll!

anyways, why to wait for the x-trail? its already here!
Old 22nd November 2004, 15:25   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (BikerSG @ Nov. 22 2004,11:50)]x-trail is a good idea i think!

but is very expensive, compared to the others in this poll!

anyways, why to wait for the x-trail? its already here!
Maybe, wait to save the extra money?
Old 23rd November 2004, 01:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

I would like a vitara please...

but since its not in the choice...its the forester yet again for me....simply the best one here...the best drivers' car available in these choices...can beat some sedans in terms of handling let alone SUVs'.

Drifter

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks