Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2008, 11:44   #1
BHPian

Help me decide which SUV to buy (International)

Hey everyone, want some quick advice regarding a SUV purchase. My dad is moving to Qatar next week and he has decided to go in for a SUV. His previous car was a Mitsubishi Gallant. The main requirements are,

1. The cost should be max 20,000$ (If its worth, I can persuade him to push it up a bit more)
2. The FE must be above 20 Miles/Gallon
3. It must low and easy on maintainance (spares, svc, etc)

He zeroed down to 3 choices, Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD, Chevrolet HHR and Hyundai Tuscon.

In his list, he had the Jeep Compass, Toyota Highlander Hybrid 2WD, Mercury Marinet Hybrid 2WD, and Mazda Tribute Hybrid 2WD. If you any better SUV, please suggest meeting the requirements.

BTW, my dad is a passive driver and is no way interested in off-roading, bhp, torque, blah blah. This car will be used as a daily drive car to office and shopping. I want him to take a Jeep actually. Well I have no idea about SUVs so I wanted you guys to help me help my dad decide. Now that you guys know the requirements, please suggest.

Thanks in advance,
Sagar.

Last edited by furioussphinx : 6th March 2008 at 11:54.
Old 6th March 2008, 12:14   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess from the list Toyota Highlander Hybrid 2WD is the best choice.
For two reasons: Toyota is the best reputed and reliable brand mentioned in the choices. And hybrid will give you excellent FE.
Old 6th March 2008, 12:27   #3
BHPian

How about an Hummer / Ford Edge?
Old 6th March 2008, 12:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

You have a lot of choices within $20k in this part of the world.

Why is he considering a Hyundai Tucson? It costs slightly over $10k so he might as well look at something more substantial.

At 20k USD you could buy a lot including the H3, a Dodge Durango and the Chevy Trailblazer. He should look at the GMC Acadia too, though am not sure of the price.
Old 6th March 2008, 17:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
You have a lot of choices within $20k in this part of the world.

Why is he considering a Hyundai Tucson? It costs slightly over $10k so he might as well look at something more substantial.

At 20k USD you could buy a lot including the H3, a Dodge Durango and the Chevy Trailblazer. He should look at the GMC Acadia too, though am not sure of the price.
Thanks steer, but the Durango, Trailblazer and Acadia are priced in the 24k+ segment. (Referring to yahoo autos for prices) and the FE is below 20mpg too. I zeroed out the Tucson. I checked out on the Subaru Forester but he dint want "extras horses". Like I said, he isnt into all this bhp talk.

My dad has almost made up his mind on the Chevrolet HHR. I have no idea as to what he liked in it. I personally hate its look. Looks like he is almost fixed to go for it. So if there are any other options in the similar price bracket and FE of the HHR, please suggest.

Sagar.
Old 6th March 2008, 21:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Sagar - Are you checking the prices on Yahoo for Qatar or the US?? Keep in mind that Qatar prices might vary from the US ones. by a significant percentage at times.
Old 6th March 2008, 21:44   #7
BHPian

Id say Tucson is a good SUV for his intended purposes. Driver friendly, economical and not to expensive to maintain.
Old 9th March 2008, 19:03   #8
BHPian

Okie guys, now its either the Chevy HHR or the Jeep Compass. Which is better?
Old 9th March 2008, 19:24   #9
BHPian

@furioussphinx, the Chevy HHR, this is my personal opinion, have tried both, find the Chevy more comfortable and responsive and the looks are not bad as well, that is if you like the retro thing. The Compass is just not a Jeep, it should never have come out, it is like an illegitimate kid... should never have happened.

While you are at it, why dont you check the Dodge Calibre, also a nice ride, although the gear stick is a bit different in position and it is in between the car-suv segment, more of a crossover. It sells in UAE for between AED 65K - 75K.

Hyundai Tuscon - AED 55K to AED 79K
Kia Sportage - AED 52K to AED 76K

All the above are approximate prices in the UAE, should be about the same in Qatar. Hope this helps.
Old 9th March 2008, 19:46   #10
BHPian

go for Hummer H3 if you live in Qatar. That is the vehicle to own buddy nothing else would do. You can also thing of Land cruiser Prado.
Old 1st April 2008, 20:41   #11
BHPian

hey Sagar, how u doing mate?

I would recommend to check out the new Hyundai Veracruz or the Hyundai Santafe. Both great on mileage and think within the price , not sure, just check it up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks