Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2009, 21:03   #61
BHPian

My suggestion...based on experience

Hi,

I have done the entire stretch from Chennai to Leh taking me through Pune-Mumbai-Udaipur-Delhi-Chandigarh-Manali-Leh; and then from there to Pangong Tso - Spangamik and on to Nubra via the Khardung La. On our return we came back via Dras - Kargil - Srinagar - Jammu - Amritsar - Bikaner - Jaisalmer - Ahmedabad - Mumbai - Pune - chennai. The car was a Tata Safari Exi 4x4 (Petrol) and it went through some of the toughest terrains in this country, and I must have pushed the car to its maximum capabilities.........I did come back without a breakdown of any sort whatsoever.

The Borg & Warner 4x4 system with on-the-fly shift in the Tata Safari was of great help as we climbed to dizzing heights in the mountain passes and the car rode like breeze in the plains. We could see a lot of Sumos, Scorpios and Safaris on the entire Himalayan Stretch and given the cost of these vehicles they offer you a best bet. The army vehicles are however the Maruti Gypsies. A very important factor is the availability of diesel in these places - whilst petrol is freely available, diesel is available only in certain important places. You may have to carry a stock of jerry cans as you go longer distances in that area when you drive diesels.

Given the choice of vehicles - what you need is a SUV with great suspension, ride quality, ground clearance, inside space and good ride. In this my recommendation (though you may say it is biased) - based on my ride experience alone - is the Safari 4x4 version.

You can see my entire trip shot and stored in:
Picasa Web Albums - Ram.

Whilst HV Kumar was my guru in advising me of the right things for this trip, I can offer some tips having been there and done that!

Good luck with your Himalayan Rally Plan!

cheers
Ram
Old 16th February 2009, 11:43   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2004 View Post
Hi,

You can see my entire trip shot and stored in:
Picasa Web Albums - Ram.

Whilst HV Kumar was my guru in advising me of the right things for this trip, I can offer some tips having been there and done that!

Good luck with your Himalayan Rally Plan!

cheers
Ram
Ram,

thanks for your input & advise. Seems like you had a great trip to Leh all teh way from chennai. I will checkout you picasa albums. Is there any detailed trip blog or diary available on online? That i can read for more info?? Will send you a PM as well.

Kesri
Old 22nd February 2009, 05:08   #63
BHPian

After some discussion with the veteran roadie HVkumar ... the final choice is falling with Bolero, Scorpio, Safari (in that order?) ..will decide final choice after some test drives .... Kesri

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks