Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2008, 11:34   #1
BHPian

A good used MUV or SUV or Car with high bonnet and good ground clearance

Hi All,

I am driving a 2006 Maruti Alto LXi and am planning to upgrade to a bigger car/MUV/SUV.

My budget is close to 5 Lakh Rupees and the vehicle will be driven in bangalore with some outings. Not looking for hardcore offroading though (for that I am looking for a different vehicle. ).

I am confused on what vehicle to shortlist. I am right now considering:

1. Used Innovas (though its almost impossible to find one within 5 lakhs).
2. Used Scorpios (If somebody can suggest the variants it will be nice.)
3. Used Safaris (Slightly reluctant on this considering the crudeness of the old safari engines and Tata Motors A.S.S.)

Any other options or suggestions are most welcome.

Regards,
Vijay
Old 23rd April 2008, 13:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Why not the Qualis?
Old 23rd April 2008, 13:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

you can take a look at the scorpio 2.6dx(CRDe)..i think it easily fit into your budget and requirements..
Old 23rd April 2008, 15:51   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
you can take a look at the scorpio 2.6dx(CRDe)..i think it easily fit into your budget and requirements..
I checked prices for Scorpio 2.6dx(CRDe) on carwale.com and it seems to be on a higher side. As per my knowledge CRDe was launched in 2005. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also wondering if it will be worth buying a Turbo DX or Turbo SLX. Please advice.

I can consider a qualis but do we get good ones available in bangalore?
Old 23rd April 2008, 16:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaypalrana View Post
Hi All,
1. Used Innovas (though its almost impossible to find one within 5 lakhs).
2. Used Scorpios (If somebody can suggest the variants it will be nice.)
3. Used Safaris (Slightly reluctant on this considering the crudeness of the old safari engines and Tata Motors A.S.S.)

Any other options or suggestions are most welcome.

Regards,
Vijay
Used innova @ under 5 lakhs in good condition is hard to find.
You can get a scorpio though. you will be lucky though to find a good crde version( hey ignore this line - i donno much bout scorpio prices)
you can get a safari under 5 lakhs with the old engine.
If you search hard, you may find the 3.0 safari lx within that price... but looks difficult to me.
goodluck.
Old 23rd April 2008, 16:29   #6
BANNED

Used Scorpios around 5 lacs, you might get, but god help with the condition of it.

Safari 2 ltr TCIC you'll find at that price, decent but underpowered.
Safari Dicor range- Out of question, you'll never find.

Innova- no chance
Old 23rd April 2008, 16:32   #7
BHPian

Any other suggestions. My goal is to go for a vehicle with high bonnet and a good ground clearance.
Old 23rd April 2008, 16:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Vijay, Bolero..Innova is something very hard to find! Though if you are lucky you will get a good one for 4.5(Bolero)

I think easiest option is Scorpio....many used cars available...
Old 23rd April 2008, 16:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

yeah, you can also look at the 2.6 dx or slx (the DI version) but make sure it is just before the CRDE version, i.e late 2004 model..
Old 23rd April 2008, 16:44   #10
BHPian

hey vijay
if you are looking for Bolero, check this out..
eBay India: mahindra BOLERO (item 120191709435 end time 29-Apr-2008 21:10:17 IST)
3.95 lacs
Old 23rd April 2008, 16:57   #11
BHPian

Suggest you look at the VERSA. Its a VFM car. with dirt cheap in used market. It has the esteem engine and is very comfortable.

Also if you dont want a 8 seater then LOGAN ( new ) and INDIGO/lancer will also suit ur budget and requirement as they have a ground clearance of 172 compared to that of the alto at 160
Old 23rd April 2008, 17:50   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rash28 View Post
Suggest you look at the VERSA. Its a VFM car. with dirt cheap in used market. It has the esteem engine and is very comfortable.

Also if you dont want a 8 seater then LOGAN ( new ) and INDIGO/lancer will also suit ur budget and requirement as they have a ground clearance of 172 compared to that of the alto at 160
Versa ruled out bcoz of the looks. My wife will be driving it too and she wont be happy with a Versa for sure. Also I dont thnk its a safe car as such.

Logan and Lancer have low bonnet heights. The vehicle will be used on highways as well and as per my experiences with my Alto, which I have already used to travel to Chennai and Madikeri I feel a high bonnet car will be a safer bet for the crowded highways in India.
Old 23rd April 2008, 21:27   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaypalrana View Post
Versa ruled out bcoz of the looks. My wife will be driving it too and she wont be happy with a Versa for sure. Also I dont thnk its a safe car as such.

Logan and Lancer have low bonnet heights. The vehicle will be used on highways as well and as per my experiences with my Alto, which I have already used to travel to Chennai and Madikeri I feel a high bonnet car will be a safer bet for the crowded highways in India.
Having used a Versa for over four years,I can vouch for its safety.The crumple zone upfront is a real crumple zone .The engine is beneath the seat and that makes it even safer in teh event of a frontend collision.It has side impact beams on all doors and is sturdy.

The bonnet height has nothing to do with safety. Volvo,Mercedes,Volkswagen and teh likes,which are the benchmarks for safety all have low bonnets and such cars have survived even worse crashes than one could think of in India.

Yes,the high seating and high bonnet give a psychological feeling of security,especially when driving in nights.One more option..the Optra.This is one real solid car and the worst headlight glare gets cut off because of its windscreen angle(???)
Old 24th April 2008, 10:51   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Having used a Versa for over four years,I can vouch for its safety.The crumple zone upfront is a real crumple zone .The engine is beneath the seat and that makes it even safer in teh event of a frontend collision.It has side impact beams on all doors and is sturdy.

The bonnet height has nothing to do with safety. Volvo,Mercedes,Volkswagen and teh likes,which are the benchmarks for safety all have low bonnets and such cars have survived even worse crashes than one could think of in India.

Yes,the high seating and high bonnet give a psychological feeling of security,especially when driving in nights.One more option..the Optra.This is one real solid car and the worst headlight glare gets cut off because of its windscreen angle(???)
I took a look at the Versa's security figures and they look impressive. But just wondering why is it not selling much in the market? Is it due to its Taxi like features or something else?

I agree when you say that the likes of Volvo, Merc & VW who have set benchmarks in the world of safety have low bonnets and they survive crashes we cannot think of in India. Just imagine a Volvo or a Merc or a VW run into the rear of a parked truck on the fast lane of a highway without any caution sign. This is something common on Indian roads, I suppose. Will they survive these kind of crashes where the first impact happens on the windscreen? Are they designed for this kind of crash?

Please update me as I am not aware of it.

I think I can consider a Versa aswell considering its safety features and cost. So we have one more competitor but still I would like to know why it doesnt sell much on our roads.
Old 24th April 2008, 12:08   #15
BHPian

Versa does not sell for its Boxy appearance. I like it any which ways. Plus it has a petrol engine. ( which is good accordign to me )

One more competetior is the Tata Sumo Victa. Its a good car. Try see if you can find some in Used car market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks