Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2008, 08:00   #1
BHPian

Second hand Innova

Hi all,
After a lot of planning, looking around and waiting. My dad still has no choice but to buy a Innova to carry 6 people occasionally and 4 mostly. We rode in the diesel variant of various ages through friends and my dad was feeling that the engine is quite noisy and vibrates quite a bit and wanted to keep out. He is not intersted in Sedans/newer hatches, if we plan to rent out a Innova on need bassis as they are not very flexible(our currnet car is a WagonR, very flexible(seating) and can hold the candle for one more year). So after all confusion and though decided on Petrol Innova. We have never driven in them nor riden them but the car meets our requirement, except for the diesel engine.

But after looking at various aspects of petrol Innova, i felt that buying a second hand Petrol variant is a nice option and we started the lookout last week. Surprsingly we have already got atleast 3 vehicles in the list which we might look at this week end.

One of them has barely done 20K kms and is a 2005 Make, will be our first priority car unless something is seriously wrong. This particular car needs to be bid(not ebay, but some process in my dads work place, might explain low running) and the price starts at about 5L, we are hoping to purchase this vehicle if it is avaiable at about 6L+/-50k

But the main reason for me to start this topic is

- This is the first time we are buying a second hand car. We had an 800 and WagonR both bought new and owned for 5 and 7 years. My mom is still not convinced as to why a used car.

- What are the stuff i need to look for when i am looking for a petrol Innova(suspension mountings, tie rod state, tyre thread, bearing noise)? I will be looking at the car in the next two/three days so any sort of inputs will be helpful.

- What are the pricey parts in the Petrol Innova, which going defunct this person might try to sell this vehicle off?

- Any defects in 2005 model ?

There are other cars as well, one done about 30k and 50k, these too are 2005 make. We still don't know what variants they are but i guess it has to be atleast G1(no petrol E variant) and so we can get the rear AC fixed as my dad feels Innova AC is not that amazing(just adequate).

- What are the stuffs that came along in G4 Innova 2005.

-I guess there was also another G variant discontinued recently, Was it available in Petrol in 2005.

I guess the current Innova owners can help.

Thanks in advance for the replies. Hoping to buy another car as i might get the WagonR for my usage. cheers:

Arun
Old 30th May 2008, 08:23   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunmur View Post
This is the first time we are buying a second hand car. We had an 800 and WagonR both bought new and owned for 5 and 7 years. My mom is still not convinced as to why a used car.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...-used-car.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...car-india.html
Quote:
What are the stuff i need to look for when i am looking for a petrol Innova(suspension mountings, tie rod state, tyre thread, bearing noise)?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ng-report.html

This is the only petrol innova i have come across in the forum (and even otherwise). The thread could be of help, if you havent read it already.
Quote:
- What are the pricey parts in the Petrol Innova, which going defunct this person might try to sell this vehicle off?
Havent heard of Innovas (infact none of the toyotas) having such grave issues. May be the Low FE might have been the tempting factor to sell the car.
Old 30th May 2008, 09:24   #3
BHPian

@crazydriver: Thanks, I hope Low FE/No usage is the the reason he is selling his petrol Innova.
Old 30th May 2008, 09:26   #4
BHPian

This thread is better off in the What car? sub-forum SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s - Team-BHP
Old 30th May 2008, 09:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, I dont think that Innova had any great defects. There was one small recall for rear suspension , but I am not able to recall, which year cars.
Old 30th May 2008, 13:34   #6
BHPian

I guess it was fixed in the 2007 car but to my knowledge it must be there in the 2005 model also.
Old 30th May 2008, 14:34   #7
BHPian

arun

that was good choice going for Petrol Innova, i should say it is one of the best engines you can find in market ( i own one)... and i should say handling in cities is just like a Sedan and comfort wise it is same in all the rows.. and till date i dont find any defects except for battery get drained early if you dont use for more than a week...
Old 30th May 2008, 18:47   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal View Post
This thread is better off in the What car? sub-forum SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s - Team-BHP
Thank you. Thread moved.

Quote:

But after looking at various aspects of petrol Innova, i felt that buying a second hand Petrol variant is a nice option and we started the lookout last week. Surprsingly we have already got atleast 3 vehicles in the list which we might look at this week end.
The only two downsides of a petrol Innova are resale value and FE. On the other hand, low resale makes it a strong second hand buy (as in your case). If your usage doesn't run into high miles, go ahead and buy it. Please refer to our article on buying used cars. It will be of immense help to you.
Old 30th May 2008, 18:51   #9
BHPian

Quote:
We still don't know what variants they are but i guess it has to be atleast G1(no petrol E variant) and so we can get the rear AC fixed as my dad feels Innova AC is not that amazing(just adequate).
If I remember it right the single AC version (G1) has a 1.3T AC and the twin AC one has 1.7T. Therefore, adding a twin-AC unit might be quite expensive. Do consult the dealer to confirm..
Old 30th May 2008, 19:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hey thats very good vehicle you have short listed to buy as Second hand. I can help you to find best Innova with best price. I can pass you the research I did when I picked my Innova. In heavy traffic Jams with AC on I get 7kmpl and on free moving highway with speeds 80kmph I get 12+ kmph.

1. Buy G3 or G4 or V the ones come with 3 row AC. Don't think about fitting AC on G1 or G2.
2. Be ready to repalce Battery once in 3 years.
3. If you plan to own this Petrol Innova for 4+ years its excellant car to buy.

Nothing other points I can think right now.

Regards,

Ravi.

PS By the way this thread is tempting me to offer you my Petrol Innova G3, its amazing vehicle to live with with ZERO niggles! PM me If you want to check out my vehicle. You get best offer because I tend to sell my car once in 18 months, people whoever baught my cars in the past are extremely happy with my honest words.

Last edited by ravibhat : 30th May 2008 at 19:21.
Old 30th May 2008, 19:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

hi arun, as Ravi says, If you can live with 7Kmpl, mostly 9'er inside City - then its a great car to own. but if you are doing anything more than 1000Km a month, then its expensive to own and drive. Did you check out any diesel one's till now?
Old 31st May 2008, 00:55   #12
BANNED

There are lots of Innovas in Second hand market now.

Choose carefully, Petrol is a good choice.

Innovas drive just the way corolla drives, very comfy.

Diesels are also not that bad as you think the D4D engine is noiseless inside being a diesel.
Old 31st May 2008, 08:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,
After a lot of planning, looking around and waiting. My dad still has no choice but to buy a Innova to carry 6 people occasionally and 4 mostly. We rode in the diesel variant of various ages through friends and my dad was feeling that the engine is quite noisy and vibrates quite a bit and wanted to keep out. He is not intersted in Sedans/newer hatches, if we plan to rent out a Innova on need bassis as they are not very flexible(our currnet car is a WagonR, very flexible(seating) and can hold the candle for one more year). So after all confusion and though decided on Petrol Innova. We have never driven in them nor riden them but the car meets our requirement, except for the diesel engine.
If your family plans to rent out the Innova then let me warn you that there won't be many takers for the Petrol Innova. If renting out the vehicle is being considered then it is best to go for Diesel variant.
Old 29th June 2008, 03:49   #14
BHPian

Quote:
-I guess there was also another G variant discontinued recently, Was it available in Petrol in 2005.

I guess the current Innova owners can help.
i own Diesel G3 2005, this is the model that was recently discontinued, don't know the difference though
Old 29th June 2008, 15:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

innova was earlier sold with E, G1, G2, G3, G4 & V varialnts. but G2 and G3 has been discontinued long back. G1 does not come with rear A/C. preferably go for the G4.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks