Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2008, 19:54   #1
BANNED

Tata indigo LS . Is this good on hills & ghats

I checked indigo diesel cs 2OO4 which has done 43k km . Condition is good . Would like to know how good will this be for driving on hills and ghat. Looking for opinion before i buy .thanks.
Old 5th June 2008, 22:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

I do not know why you ask it this way, but I have never had problem climbing my Indigo LS any where. It is a 2004 Indirect Injection Diesel. It might not be powerful but is torquey enough for hills and ghats.
Old 5th June 2008, 22:56   #3
BHPian

I think you meant indigo LS and not CS right?Advice u to check for post 2005 models as they will be TDi[intercooler[ versions and they are more powerful than the earlier versions.
Old 5th June 2008, 23:03   #4
BANNED

thanks Stratos.
when i TD this car i felt LAG in the first & second gear .Things got better only when i touched 35-40 km in 3rd gear.(till this day i was using various petrol not even one diesel)
so when one has to use mainly 1st or 2nd gear on hills..how good the performance & drive . will the inherent LAG would affect that too when you have 3-4 people . that is why i needed clarification from indigo users who have been travelling to hills/ghat with this. can you share your expereince on hill driving with this.anything to be taken care of before taking hills.which 'brand'diesel do you suggest for this and if additive does good which brand one has to use & what is the MIX Ratio. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
I do not know why you ask it this , but I have never had problem climbing my Indigo LS any where. It is a 2004 Indirect Injection Diesel. It might not be powerful but is torquey enough for hills and ghats.
Old 5th June 2008, 23:05   #5
BANNED

YES i meant meant indigo LS 2004 may.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veelubai View Post
I think you meant indigo LS and not CS right?Advice u to check for post 2005 models as they will be TDi[intercooler[ versions and they are more powerful than the earlier versions.
Old 5th June 2008, 23:14   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

When they drive grossly underpowered and overloaded buses on Ghats faster than most personal cars, the car by itself is really a non-issue. A lot will depend on driving skills.
Old 23rd June 2008, 19:20   #7
BHPian

Hi Shapath, I own a Tata Indigo LS 2004 Jun which has done more than 50 K.( Btw, I am just selling it off :-)). Anyway, to answer your question, I have done trips to Wayanad, Yercaud and multiple other hill stattion trips. I never faced any issues personally.
Old 9th July 2008, 13:01   #8

Same here. Not much of problems in the climb. Ofcourse you would have to stay in the first or second gears much of the time and specially with AC on. I have done climbs on Ooty / Kodai / Yercaud. The only issue comes when you take Hairpin bend and then you turn the steering wheel full turn which some how saps some of the power from the Car due to the power steering. Once you can handle it then its fine. Cheers
Old 9th July 2008, 23:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

On steep inclines, if you have stop go traffic, the Indigo is going to burn its clutch. Of course, driving skills matter, but there is no way the Indigo is going to handle steep inclines with aplomb having a/c on and fully loaded, in case you have to come to a complete stop.

Of course, if you are able to carry the momentum through turns, it will climb most ghats, use the a/c switch as an extra turbo (turn it off when the going gets really tough !)

Last edited by kuttapan : 9th July 2008 at 23:19.
Old 10th July 2008, 01:54   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapath View Post
I checked indigo diesel cs 2OO4 which has done 43k km . Condition is good . Would like to know how good will this be for driving on hills and ghat. Looking for opinion before i buy .thanks.
This would be the 62BHP engine with turbo but without the intercooler.
From my experience of the Ooty climb (4 times - same car different loads) in my Indica TDI, I would say that with just a co-passenger and some weekend luggage - it's not much of a problem. But with 4 people in the car with proportionately more luggage - it became a bit tedious.

If you're going to be doing a lot of ghat sections on a regular basis, you may want to look at other options - atleast a TDI engine Indigo. The additional power and torque surely help.
Old 10th July 2008, 12:10   #11
BHPian

Once you get the car moving or at a consistent speed, the Indigo wont have trouble keeping up with traffic. But the turbo lag is nasty on steep inclines. You will have to slip the clutch and keep the revvs really high.
Old 10th July 2008, 13:20   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
Once you get the car moving or at a consistent speed, the Indigo wont have trouble keeping up with traffic. But the turbo lag is nasty on steep inclines. You will have to slip the clutch and keep the revvs really high.
Well put! even on the TDI engine, the turbo lag is very irritating on ghats. Inexperienced drivers will manage to overheat the engine by over-revving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks