Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2009, 18:59   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

hey

there are lots of things to check while buying a second hand diesel - especially a Scorpio type thing which could have been hard used by its owner.

Ref compression test it would be good to ask some of the big boys on the forum - such as Mr Anup Mathur, Mr Behram Dhabhar - all of whom you could PM.

I will put out a general list of things to check for in the Scorpio or Bolero second hand via PM. Because I have written all this down somewhere in this forum but cant remember where - this was about a year ago or so - when someone else had asked the same question.

but typically make sure you take it to an authorized MM workshop and get it thoroughly checked out, inside and outside both.

Scorpio vehicles are usually not so expensive to look after - like most MM vehicles. But this is provided the vehicle has been cared for well by its previous owner. Unfortunately most Scorpios I ve seen are driven by drivers and typical fatboys who sit in the back and/ or dont know anything about the vehicle and these types of chaps most of the time dont care for the vehicle the way an interested private owner would.

You would do well to buy from an authorized used car dealer such as First Choice because they give you a One Year guarantee on the cars they sell - it may cost a bit more but its worth it for peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Gladiator View Post
Thank you very much Shankar.

In the older version is using less electronics so the maintenance cost also should be lower? What are the things to be consider if am going to buy a 2004, 80k done, Scorpio 2.6 turbo vehicle.

I heard about compression test. Can you please explain and how to do the compression test ?
Old 14th October 2009, 23:07   #17
BHPian

Engine life of Scorpio

Hi BHPians,

I own a 2005 Scorpio DX and it has done 95K Kms. Now thinking whether to change it for a new scorpio 4X4 or to retain this one !

Scorpio users please tell how long the engine will go ?

Is it possible to do any modifications like :

1. Changing the suspension ?
2. Adding ABS ?
3. Converting to a 4X4?

Thanks in advance for all your replies
Old 15th October 2009, 11:21   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@Bijoy&Indu:

Raj's Scropio has done 1.8 Lakh Kms. A cousin of mine in Bangalore has about 1.7 Lakh kilometers on his Scorpio. If the service has been done on time at the dealer or with quality oil and filter the Scorpio should run over 2 lakh kms easily.

Converting your Scorpio to 4WD is not a practical or cost effective option. Your best bet is to sell your current one and buy the Mhawk 4WD if you want 4WD. You get a far superior vehicle to the one you currently have.
Old 19th October 2009, 15:33   #19
BHPian

Thanks for the reply 4X4addict.
Our scorpio is well maintained. So i guess we have a long way ahead with our beast
Old 19th October 2009, 18:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijoy&Indu View Post
Hi BHPians,

I own a 2005 Scorpio DX and it has done 95K Kms. Now thinking whether to change it for a new scorpio 4X4 or to retain this one !

Scorpio users please tell how long the engine will go ?

Is it possible to do any modifications like :

1. Changing the suspension ?
2. Adding ABS ?
3. Converting to a 4X4?

Thanks in advance for all your replies
hi bijoy, mahindra claims that the scorpio's engine will run for 3 lakh kms without any overhaul or repair. as 4x4addict said, mine has run for 1.8 L kms without any problem & we dont intend to sell it either. so, your scorpio will go a loooooong way now!

1) i would advise you not to mess with the suspension.
2) adding ABS is possible but calibrating it is the tough part which is think is a trial & error method.
3) i dint think adding 4x4 tranny is practical. even cost wise, it would be better if you buy a second hand 4x4!
Old 6th February 2013, 11:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scorpio 2.6 T vs Scorpio 2.6 CRDe engine comparison

Mr. Dhabar Behram I have a few questions for you, I would be much grateful if you could answer them.

The Mahindra DI engine ( 3200 something ) was derived from an International Tractor Engine ?
Installed in some CJ Jeeps and Bolero it produced an output of about 68 BHP. It had a turbo boost that kicked in at about 1800 rpm

Was the same engine block modified as M2DI, installed in the earliest Scorpios and tuned to deliver 109 BHP ?

What is the difference in the CRD e installed in Scorpio / Thar and then Bolero VLX or Storm.

Once again this notable difference, in Scorpio Thar it produced about 110 BHP while in a Bolero it is only about 75 to 80 BHP ?

Why cant a Bolero on road and off road not enjoy a 110 BHP engine ?

Also what was the specification of the XDP engine that I have in my 2001 model MM550 is it turbocharged ?

Mahindra Vehicles that I own.

Bolero SLX DI Turbo - 2008
Xylo E 6 - 2009
Scorpio VLX 4WD 2011
MM 550 fully restored 2001 model restored in 2011- 2012

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks